Hoyo de Rio Seco MGL SEP 21 (S&FBRW)

Great review. I agree it is a bit of a monster in size. I had one recently in London where it really got going from 2nd third onwards ending up being absolutley nubbed. A lovely smoke causing me to pick up a ten box from Rob...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, graham_uk said:

Great review. I agree it is a bit of a monster in size. I had one recently in London where it really got going from 2nd third onwards ending up being absolutley nubbed. A lovely smoke causing me to pick up a ten box from Rob...

Yep. This one got nubbed. I do get these in 10ers from Rob, including this one. But I do feel like I the monster rg detracts from it. 

• Like 1

What's your go to Hoyo?  I've been smoking Cubans off and on for many years and increasingly I am drawn towards Hoyo.  In the last few years I have had quite a few 20 year old Churchills (pre-pandemic - my local cigar store had tons of these, available to smoke in singles) which were sublime (wish I had bought some!) and recently I had a recent production DC which was fascinating but by final third was at the upper end of full bodied (can you believe!) yet first third was light to medium at strongest!).  I do like the Petit Robustos but find that they have an interesting spell and can go through dull patches.  I have never really got the Epi2 or Epi1 and the San Juan has not been consistent for me.  Anyway enough rambling on!

13 hours ago, jakebarnes said:

Also, it's now hailing outside. 

Edge of my seat — Chicago?? Great review of an HdM that I have not tried but that I also have a box of 10 waiting in the queue. The “du Depute’”, Petite Robusto, and Epi 1 and 2 have been my favorite flavor profiles during the last year or two. They each have their own unique flavor profiles and their is a common richness of flavors that I cannot put in words.

13 hours ago, jakebarnes said:

I just wish this flavor profile lived in a smaller vitola...like a corona gorda or even a robustos.

A lot of folks like the Epi No. 2 (and I do as well), but I enjoy the No. 1 even more. They both have that HdM overall richness of flavor and each has it individual profile. I’ll have to pair them to refresh my palate why I preferred the No. 1 😁

14 hours ago, graham_uk said:

What's your go to Hoyo?  

I don't smoke hoyos frequently, but when I do it's the Epicure Especial, Epi 2, or the Rio Seco. I think the EE is starting to win me over as the favorite of the marca. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MossybackR said:

Edge of my seat — Chicago?? Great review of an HdM that I have not tried but that I also have a box of 10 waiting in the queue. The “du Depute’”, Petite Robusto, and Epi 1 and 2 have been my favorite flavor profiles during the last year or two. They each have their own unique flavor profiles and their is a common richness of flavors that I cannot put in words.

A lot of folks like the Epi No. 2 (and I do as well), but I enjoy the No. 1 even more. They both have that HdM overall richness of flavor and each has it individual profile. I’ll have to pair them to refresh my palate why I preferred the No. 1 😁

Yep, I'm in Chicago. Hoyo is really scratching an itch for me lately. I enjoy the epi 2, but find myself reaching for an epicure espcial when I can. The Rio Seco is a close second though--for when I feel like the ring gauge suits me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Rio Seco....the most unique flavour profile of all the Hoyo. 

Love these gingerbread coffee snaps.....don't like the size....but bloody love the flavour :cigar:

I wish I had found more of that gingerbread coffee part when I had this one--really came out more of a bready toast with heavy cream. Fighting the draw really was to the detriment of this cigar--but hot damn are these a creamy smoke that coats the mouth. Hoping for a little more luck the next go 'round. 

On 7/24/2022 at 8:05 AM, jakebarnes said:

Yep, I'm in Chicago. Hoyo is really scratching an itch for me lately. I enjoy the epi 2, but find myself reaching for an epicure espcial when I can. The Rio Seco is a close second though--for when I feel like the ring gauge suits me.

Nice review.  For me, when the weather is hot, Hoyo works the best.  The cream and twang works magic in the heat.  I had an older San Juan on Sunday that was magical. 

• Like 4

• MoeFOH unpinned this topic