Blends Partagas D 4,5,6 compare and contrast

I've burned through quite a few D4 over the years, a handful of D6 and no D5 as far as I recall! so far.

How do the blends compare/differ?

The few D6 I've had have been quite peppery. Didn't get on with them. I dont recall a D4 with that much pepper in it. I've got some D5 now, resting a bit. Wondering what I'll get from them. Are they anything like their bigger or smaller brethren? Completely different blends? Similar blends? Are they basically smaller D4's? Or are they more like bigger D6's?

Naively I thought the D6 would be just like a short D4. But seems from what I've tried they are a different animal.

So your experiences?

B.

• Like 4

El Pres has essentially summed it up for me. I concur, the Partagas Serie D No.4 is very different to the Partagas Serie D No.6 on account of their different strengths. I'm loving both right now, anyway!

I've not had enough Partagas Serie D No.5s to make a definite conclusion on it other than to say that, for me, of the few I've had it didn't provide that much of a difference in blend and smoking experience from the Partagas Serie D No.4 to justify smoking it more than the D4 or even other Petit Robustos. In fact, I'd consider that of all the much-favoured cigars (for Habanos S.A as they love the size) within the Petit Robustos size in regular production, the Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't seem to get as much attention and love as others such as the well-established Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Robustos and the Montecristo Petit Edmundo or even the newer release Cohiba Medio Siglo, Punch Short de Punch, Quai d'Orsay No.50 and Trinidad Media Luna.

• Like 4

I'll echo what El Pres and JohnS say. And you're correct, the D6 is definitely the most peppery. So much so that to me it's its own thing and not just a cut down D4. Blend and/or size may be why it's as different as it is to the D4 like El Pres stated.

To me the D5 though is exactly what you'd expect, somewhere in between. I've smoked a few of them this past year and have grown to really like them. I don't think they're peppery like the D6 but definitely richer than the D4. They're like a D4 with the volume turned up. I like all three a lot. Currently smoking more D4's though because they last longer and they're more mellow, which seems to be what I'm enjoying more of these days - and I have a lot more them on hand than the other two. Come winter I might be more in the mood for the D5 and D6 punch in the face. 

• Like 3

I started the D series with a 5, and grew to like it a lot. Tried a 4, and I became somewhat impatient with it. Good burn and construction, but it didn’t have what I was expecting. Conversely, I tried some D6’s and found them unpleasant... a bit rough. I think your impression might depend on which one you had first.

• Like 2