The "MRN" Guide to Vintage Port

BrightonCorgi

We talk now and then about Vintage Port and I wanted to let members know about a reference book that friend wrote on the subject I think a several members may have an interest in owning. 

This is the most comprehensive almanac on the history of Vintage Port ever written.  It can easily be hailed as the "MRN of Vintage Port".  This book was several years in the making and is used by auction houses to validate Lots that come to auction.

The book is called Port Vintages - The Chronicle of Vintage Ports, from the Beginning and is worth getting if you have a fascination with one of the beloved wine styles or you're just into coffee table books.  It's available in 1st edition for those who care about owning 1st editions. 

The author, Julian Wiseman is quite the authority on port and fun guy to share some vintages with if you get chance.

PortVintages_Jacket_ed2_front_only[1].png

This thread was ok'd by El Presidente

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to BrightonCorgi for posting this, and for telling me of it. 

Port Vintages is indeed the serious reference book on the subject. Not a short book: the first was about 385k words, 800 pictures, 650 pages. And then readers sent more information, and pointers to more. The second edition will have about a hundred more Ports, and be about 10% longer in both pages and pictures. 

I encourage readers to pre-order from the Académie du Vin Library.

• Like 2

instant i saw the topic subject, i knew exactly the book you meant. i have the first edition (cost of the second for the small additions, i'm not yet convinced).

absolutely amazing and a great idea to post it for those interested. 

if i have one issue, it is that it does not cover the more recent vintages in quite as much depth (and with notes) and i'd like - yes, that is probably the reason for a second edition but even then, not sure it went as far as i'd like (he is very obviously of the school of VPs needing a lot of time - and no argument with that at all). but if you have an interest in port, it is a must. wiseman really does know his stuff. definitely worth getting. 

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 11:51 PM, Ken Gargett said:

but if you have an interest in port, it is a must. wiseman really does know his stuff. definitely worth getting. 

Thank you. It is the definitive reference book. Please pre-order from the Académie du Vin Library

if i have one issue, it is that it does not cover the more recent vintages in quite as much depth (and with notes) 

It is worth answering this. The book is driven by a particular question. In many wine regions, the big names make wine every year. Every year. This is not true of Vintage Port, each house ‘declaring’ only some years. That obvious question asks “Which years?”. The houses themselves didn’t know: all their answers were wrong. So I have been through dusty archives, finding information about old vintages. Of course, in showing existence, I have included any and all details that a geek / collector / auctioneer / wine merchant should want. 

But the question “Did Graham declare 2003?” is answerable online. Dust unnecessary. An early tested inclusion, but it felt silly reporting that X website was offering it for sale. So a line wa drawn, when Google’s knowledge becomes reliable.

(cost of the second for the small additions, i'm not yet convinced). 

Depends what you want? The second edition has 100ish more Ports, and about 10% more general content. What matters to you? If you want to know as much as the vendor claiming that it’s genuine, then you have to own all the info. Which costs the same as one bottle of mature but not old Port — it isn’t expensive. 

4 hours ago, jdaw1 said:

Thank you. It is the definitive reference book. Please pre-order from the Académie du Vin Library

It is worth answering this. The book is driven by a particular question. In many wine regions, the big names make wine every year. Every year. This is not true of Vintage Port, each house ‘declaring’ only some years. That obvious question asks “Which years?”. The houses themselves didn’t know: all their answers were wrong. So I have been through dusty archives, finding information about old vintages. Of course, in showing existence, I have included any and all details that a geek / collector / auctioneer / wine merchant should want. 

But the question “Did Graham declare 2003?” is answerable online. Dust unnecessary. An early tested inclusion, but it felt silly reporting that X website was offering it for sale. So a line wa drawn, when Google’s knowledge becomes reliable.

Depends what you want? The second edition has 100ish more Ports, and about 10% more general content. What matters to you? If you want to know as much as the vendor claiming that it’s genuine, then you have to own all the info. Which costs the same as one bottle of mature but not old Port — it isn’t expensive. 

my thoughts were only very minor quibbles. definitely a fan and and as i said, i really do think it worth getting for anyone who enjoys VPs. 

• Like 1