Humidity variance in large tupperdors

mnsmokes

Looking for some guidance in helping control the variance of humidity in my large tupperdors (56qt-72qt sizes).

Temperature is no issue. They are a consistent 65 degrees sitting in the basement.

I currently see between a 3-6% variance from top to bottom, with the bottom having higher humidity. I am using calibrated SwitchBot hygrometers.

Does anyone experience this? If so, any tips and tricks to help even out the humidity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot in the dark, is it possible the very bottom of your tupperdor is much colder than the air temperature?  I mean the wall of the tupperdor, not the air inside.  Like if it was in direct contact with a concrete floor?  You might try putting a towel between the bottom of the tupperdor and whatever surface it is sitting on.

Shot in the dark, is it possible the very bottom of your tupperdor is much colder than the air temperature?  I mean the wall of the tupperdor, not the air inside.  Like if it was in direct contact with a concrete floor?  You might try putting a towel between the bottom of the tupperdor and whatever surface it is sitting on.

You may just be on to something! They are directly on a tile floor. I’ll put some towels down or something similar and report back after a couple of days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a pure guess...without any air circulation of some sort, which there wouldn't be in a plain tupperdor, I'd guess the heaviest (most humid) air would settle at the bottom.  Perhaps toss a half dry Boveda pack in the bottom to buffer that extra humidity.  I do have a combination of mostly dry Bovedas with mostly full Bovedas in my tupperdors and the combination really seems to keep everything in great shape.

51 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

This is a pure guess...without any air circulation of some sort, which there wouldn't be in a plain tupperdor, I'd guess the heaviest (most humid) air would settle at the bottom.  Perhaps toss a half dry Boveda pack in the bottom to buffer that extra humidity.  I do have a combination of mostly dry Bovedas with mostly full Bovedas in my tupperdors and the combination really seems to keep everything in great shape.

Another option is to figure out a way to get an intermittent fan going in your Tupperdore. I have heard of folks using computer fans on a battery with some type of timer gizmo. Seems like a lot of work. A few dry bovedas on the bottom with some more full ones on top, then rotate, would seem to fix the issue. 
I would note that I also have noticed a higher rh on the bottom of my containers, but only off by 1 or 2 so I have not bothered to mess w it. It seems Like the heavier air does find it’s way to the bottom. 

• Like 1

Humid air is less dense than dry air.  Most people experience higher humidity at the top of a container.  I bet its temperature stratification that's causing your issue.