Long Term Storage Assistance

Finn

Hi everyone!

I have done a lot of reading and research on long term aging Cuban cigars. My setup is as follows.  Cooler, 65 percent, temp 65 and cigars are in their respective boxes. Is there anything more I need to do?  Just make sure humidity is stable?  Do I need to open the cooler to allow fresh air in, any suggestions etc.  I really don’t want t ruin any of the cigars (even though there aren’t many and they aren’t anything special) I am concerned I am missing some important steps.  Thanks for any help!

There’s a massive amount written on this board about storage, so do read into it. And some of us are a lot more fussy than others. But in short: if you have a steady ambient temperature of 65F, and a steady relative humidity of 65%, and your container is sealed, then you should be A-ok for the long term. 

Presumably that’s passive humidity control with beads / Bovedas? I’m a big fan of that approach, because you avoid a lot of complexity and risk. You will read horror stories on here about active systems and over humidification.

I would throw a hygrometer in there for peace of mind, and every now and then (like every few months) I’d have a look in the boxes for any mould. No need to actively ‘air’ your cigars.

Otherwise, chill out and enjoy the smoke!

• Like 3

On 5/12/2022 at 1:39 AM, Tdm_86 said:

It’s the same setup I’ve been using for many years. I use 80 liter coolers, the ones with a rubber seal in the lid. A whole load of 65% Bovedas and stored in my cellar where temperature varies between about 15° C in winter to max 18°C in summer. I don’t really worry about them, I sort of regularly open them to put in newly acquired boxes anyway. I’ve got a Govee sensor in each one, I maybe check it once a month if I even remember. Humidity has always been rock solid this way. 

Thanks so much for the help! I use a Govee as well :)

On 5/12/2022 at 1:41 AM, RDB said:

There’s a massive amount written on this board about storage, so do read into it. And some of us are a lot more fussy than others. But in short: if you have a steady ambient temperature of 65F, and a steady relative humidity of 65%, and your container is sealed, then you should be A-ok for the long term. 

Presumably that’s passive humidity control with beads / Bovedas? I’m a big fan of that approach, because you avoid a lot of complexity and risk. You will read horror stories on here about active systems and over humidification.

I would throw a hygrometer in there for peace of mind, and every now and then (like every few months) I’d have a look in the boxes for any mould. No need to actively ‘air’ your cigars.

Otherwise, chill out and enjoy the smoke!

Sorry for the delay in responding, it’s been a busy week…I do have a hygrometer and am using several Boveda 65. Thanks so much for the tips!