2 Different Humidity Readings

Lambretta

Hi everyone, I am a total novice to the cigar world so will try to explain exactly what is the matter, and hopefully you can help me.

I bought a Mint condition SUPREME Wooden Humidor over 10 years of use so very well-seasoned???

I was told it would easily store 50-75 Montecristo No 4. Length: 5″ (129mm) Ring Gauge: 42

The humidor is 35cm(L) x 16cm(H) x 24cm(D)

Before I put my baby’s in, I bought 5 Boveda Humidifier - 60g Pack - 69% RH to bring it up to spec.

I also bought 3 Digital Hygrometers and the Boveda One-Step Hygrometer Calibration Kit which they all passed.

Now the problem I have is the Hygrometer on the Humidor is showing 70 % RH but the 3 digital Hygrometer’s in side are showing between 62 & 65 % RH, it has all 5, 60g packs in, and have been in for over 4 weeks.

Do I put another 60g pack in which would be 6 packs for a 100 cigar humidor???

The temp is 18 / 21 degrees.

Thanks

Nick.    

Good to see you introduced yourself .

It appears it is a small humidor and typically Boveda says one per 25 cigars but having more isn’t an issue. Is the one that you said was on the humidifier reading 70 an analog gauge? If so ignore it. If it is a small humidor you don’t really need more than one hygrometer inside. Reading between 62-65, I think are just fine. Keep in mind when you open it, the humidity reading will fairly quickly.

Main thing is going to be how the cigars feel and how they smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is all within acceptable boundaries, so I wouldn't worry too much (unless you are particular about your RH). 

Would need pictures / more info but it sounds like the hygrometer showing higher is an integrated analogue hair hygrometer? If so these are not the most accurate (even if properly calibrated) so I'd defer to the digital ones.

Its also worth noting that with wood humis the transfer of humidity between the wood and the packs means there is always an expected loss of anywhere from 2-5% from what is stated on the Boveda pack (see the Boveda website for more info). 

Finally with Boveda I find bigger is better. I initially used multiple 60g packs and the humidity wasn't as consistent throughout as I'd like. Changed to a 320g and it's much better! 

Happy to provide pictures of my own if helpful and hope this helps! 

On 3/24/2022 at 10:20 AM, Fuzz said:

It is customary to introduce yourself here, before requesting assistance from the Forum.

Like a hawk 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply's, I've added some pictures,

the hygrometer showing higher is an integrated analogue hygrometer but that is reading the right RH isint it 🤔

Do i add another 69% pack and see what happens.

501454955_pic1.PNG.2baf7eead5f4671c8ae7ceb78158bbb0.jpg.9732de3b45e6b871fa4f8125ee190765.jpg

pic 2.PNG

pic 3.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lambretta said:

Thanks for the reply's, I've added some pictures,

the hygrometer showing higher is an integrated analogue hygrometer but that is reading the right RH isint it 🤔

Do i add another 69% pack and see what happens.

Tbh bud that looks fine to me! Ignore the analogue and stick to your digital ones. Personally I would use 72° packs but that is a matter of what your shooting for 

• Like 1

You may be able to also calibrate the analog one; sometime there is a screw in the back to adjust it. 62-65 is great. If you find it leaks to much air and the humidity goes even lower you could put in  higher RH packs. Again, how they feel and smoke is the best indicator. 

• Like 1

As others have said, analog hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.  Suggest you ignore it (or for aesthetics adjust it, if possible, from time to time to match the digital hygrometer(s) as @LLC posted).

As for which RH% Boveda packs to use, every humidor is different as they vary greatly in air-tightness, as do ambient room conditions.  You're using 69% packs now (and a sufficient number).  Good, see what RH that actually produces for you inside that particular humidor.  And do give it some weeks to see a stable result.  Once you know what the 69% packs yield in that humidor, you can continue to use 69% or change RH pack types up or down to achieve the actual RH you desire.  Most wood desktop humidors are fairly leaky, particularly those with a glass top, and it often takes higher RH packs to maintain the actual humidity level you seek.

As to what RH to seek, there's lots of threads on the forum which you can read, many of which suggest 62%-65% for CCs.

Enjoy the new humidor!  🙂

• Like 2