Montalto Merricks Pinot release

Bill Hayes

I do like a Pinot Noir in the change of seasons. Just a question for @Ken Gargett   Heard any reviews of the Montalto release of Pinot's. Halliday gives Merricks block 97 and the other three 96 - Tuerong, Main Ridge and a new one that sounds interesting. Might get a Merricks now and see about the others later. Cheers

2 minutes ago, Bill Hayes said:

I do like a Pinot Noir in the change of seasons. Just a question for @Ken Gargett   Heard any reviews of the Montalto release of Pinot's. Halliday gives Merricks block 97 and the other three 96 - Tuerong, Main Ridge and a new one that sounds interesting. Might get a Merricks now and see about the others later. Cheers

Bill, Simon Black is a quality winemaker. does some great stuff. there would be a whisker between them and toss a coin stuff. definitely worth chasing. good chardies as well. top place to visit. excellent restaurant and an amazing sculpture garden over several acres (someone has some serious dosh). 

i love the main ridge but that might be because i am such a fan of the main ridge winery and what nat white did for decades (and the new guys doing some great stuff as well). 

mornington is one of my absolute fave wine regions in Oz. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Ken Gargett, I impulse ordered a bottle of Merricks and North One pinots. Don't really have a great capacity for storage but with screw tops makes it easier to put in a cool room. Probably drink them way too young but I'll let you know. Cheers. And yep, I've been for lunch. It's just fantastic. My favourite down there.

On 2/28/2022 at 12:49 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

Totally unfamiliar with this producer.

It's a local producer in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia but just out of Melbourne in the Mornington Peninsula. The temperate climate and sea breeze and sandy soil make it a place for Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Reasonably complex considering the soil but lighter and more delicate than some other Pinot's or Burgandy's. I tried the young 2020 North One on the weekend. Very drinkable young. Light. I think the Merricks Block version will be a bit deeper and richer in flavour. I have attached a pic of the back label @Ken Gargett

IMG_8307.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 5:49 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

Totally unfamiliar with this producer.

Rare Wine Co offered some this past week if you're looking to source some domestically.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NapaNolan said:

Rare Wine Co offered some this past week if you're looking to source some domestically.

Bernie is the guy there no?  RWC is a great outfit.

57 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Bernie is the guy there no?  RWC is a great outfit.

Don’t really know. I get their emails but I’m not a serious customer.