Buses donation to Cuba

6 hours ago, yossie said:

https://www.plenglish.com/news/2022/01/13/cuba-thanks-japan-for-donation-of-84-buses/

I just read it locally today, didn't know Japan has good relation with Cuba... I hope it won't mess up the good and old cuban landscape.

The last time I was there, Japan had just donated either 40 or 80 new garbage trucks. All bright, shiny and new, they stuck out like a sore thumb!

The newer, chinese made buses that they have for the tourists aren't too bad, but the public transport in Havana is astoundingly old, worn out and dirty from a pollution stand point. Hopefully these buses will replace:

IMG_7585.JPG.01d3d47afe2a8b460b59e5bc0ab747d5.JPG

IMG_6921.JPG.f1e882bb59395c757bf4a512a4dd35fd.JPG

DSCN2288.JPG.6ffba850e24e9e4c9796f4523ceb0ef9.JPG

• Thanks 1

I should know this, but I wonder how the new engines will deal with the leaded gasoline?

9 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

I should know this, but I wonder how the new engines will deal with the leaded gasoline?

Diesel is really the main fuel down there. My guess is these buses are diesel powered. But, modern engines should run just fine on leaded fuel, EFI and digital engine controls do a much better job of adjusting for fuel quality/octane than carburetors did. 

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

Diesel is really the main fuel down there. My guess is these buses are diesel powered. But, modern engines should run just fine on leaded fuel, EFI and digital engine controls do a much better job of adjusting for fuel quality/octane than carburetors did. 

Good point! While in Havana, I was struck by the familiar scent of leaded gasoline that I remembered from my childhood. It might have been diesel. 🤔

• Haha 1