Too Much Humidity

NickfromNY

I was hoping someone could give me some advice here.  I have a Newair CC-150 that will not come down to 65% rh.  Currently, it is at 70% (not the end of the world, but would like this number to drop a couple points).  Each day, I open the door for a period of time and humidity will drop but as soon as I close the door it begins rising again.   It always levels off right around 70% so like I said its not the end of the world, just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions. 

Hi Nick,

What are you using to humidify your Newair?

Since the humidity drops when you open the door it must be something within the cabinet that is raising the RH. This could be whatever media you are using for humidity or your cigars themselves. 

When I first wanted to bring my cigar humidity down to 62% it took a while because my cigars were bringing up the RH every time I opened the cabinet. Time will fix this assuming the RH outside your cabinet is lower and your media itself isn't adding additional moisture to the equation.

Cheers

Stabilizing RH in refrigerated humidors can be tricky, especially when condensate from the cooling process ends up on the inside. Unfortunately, I don’t have the remedy for you...I just ended up unplugging my Newair after finding a small puddle of water in the bottom. 

I've been having this issue with my cooled aristocrat and finally caved and took what I initially thought were drastic measures. Where I am, I think part of the problem is the ambient humidity, but a bigger part of the problem was the ambient temp. My humis are in one of the warmer rooms in the house, so the cooler was working harder than usual. I bought a few silicone dessicant packs (I got 2 wisedry 500g and 50 dry and dry 5g packs, all rechargable) and just keep an eye on the rH when they're in there so it doesn't get too dry. They've been in there about a month and it's worked like a charm.