Should I quit storing cigars?

Danny_Cigar

Hello Sirs!

I am certain that you have read a post like this hundreds of times in the past. I am sorry for being so repetitive, I just can't seem to find a definitive answer to my problem.

I recently purchased about 15 cigars which I am storing in a tupperdor (using 65% RH Boveda) in my wardrobe. I'm an infrequent cigar smoker, I smoke a cigar once every month, so some cigars may be sitting in my humidor for a year or more. 

My concern is that the internal readings of the tupperdor are 23.5 degrees celsius (74.3 degrees F) and 66% RH. I have read that cigars shouldn't be stored above 70 degrees Fahrenheit as it can bring out harsh flavours, change a cigar's flavour profile and make cigars wet. Also, reading other posts on here, I've found that most people prefer to store their cigars at 65% / 65f. 

I live in an apartment so I don't have a cool dry place I can store the cigars, they have to sit on my desk or in my wardrobe somewhere. Temperature is pretty stable throughout the year, internal it would almost always be between 21 - 24 degrees celsius. 

Since I can't regulate my temperature, I feel like I'm being counter productive... 

Should myself and others in my position give up on storing cigars at home? I'm starting to contemplate whether I'm doing the cigars any justice by storing them in suboptimal conditions. Should I just buy singles every time I want to smoke?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks a million!

This is an extreme response for a small problem. 23C isn't so bad. Higher terms would give concern for cigar beetles. As to flavors, i think you would be ok. Try to put it in a dark place that doesn't get much natural sunlight. That may help keep cooler. Your RH is what would be more concerning. And the 65 seems good. You can lower it off you like to try to test different flavor profiles. Dryboxing before you smoke may be more helpful to determine this.

But since you only smoke one a month, can you discern the flavor differences?

As to whether you should just go out and buy one when you feel like smoking a cigar, that seems very inconvenient. When i feel like experiencing a cigar, i would rather just get one from a short walk to my humi. But that's up to you.

In the end, i wouldn't fret. Keep you cigars in your tupperdor and move on.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is an extreme response for a small problem. 23C isn't so bad. Higher terms would give concern for cigar beetles. As to flavors, i think you would be ok. Try to put it in a dark place that doesn't get much natural sunlight. That may help keep cooler. Your RH is what would be more concerning. And the 65 seems good. You can lower it off you like to try to test different flavor profiles. Dryboxing before you smoke may be more helpful to determine this.

As to whether you should just go out and buy one when you feel like smoking a cigar, that seems very inconvenient. When i feel like experiencing a cigar, i would rather just get one from a short walk to my humi. But that's up to you.

Agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/8/2020 at 12:30 AM, mrmessy said:

Given what I read online, temperature + RH go hand in hand. In regards to flavours, I don't think I can pick up subtle flavour profiles but I can pick up the differences in flavour between different cigars. The only fear I have is that the cigars change in their flavour in a major way. Do you think this is possible?

One cigar a month?        When you smoke that infrequently there are a thousand things (totally unrelated to storage) that will make "change in their flavour" happen.     At my age I have trouble remembering what a smoke tasted like a month ago.  ?