- Tasting Green -

On 2/1/2020 at 8:26 PM, wine_junkie said:

I have been smoking cigars for quite some time (mainly Cuban as they scratch the itch) and have noticed especially recently (last 3 years) that most cigars I have received (now box 2019) taste green past the first half inch. Partagas E2, Monte 2, Monte A, Bolivar, Lusitania, etc. 

On ignition they smell amazing but as I draw down on the cigar it gets tannic and “green”. Do all of these just need age?

I have yet to try a Partagas E2 but I have tried all of the other cigars you've listed and found that they all need time to smooth out.  When a cigar is too young for me I find that they are bitter or strong in black pepper.  For me, Montes are lousy until they are at least 2 years of age.  I can enjoy the Bolis and Lusis a little earlier since they aren't too harsh but I prefer to give them at least a year to sweeten a little.  As for tannic taste, I've not really experienced tannins too much in CC's.  I have definitely experienced that taste in NC's. 

If you want to try a cigar that I think smokes great immediately, try the Sir Winston.  The forum generally recommends aging those as well (because they say the cigars will improve) but I'd have to bury a box of those in a locked time capsule to avoid getting into them right away.

• Like 1