Re-Season Desktop Humidor

Silverstix

Do you re-season your desktop humidor periodically?  It gets pretty dry here during the winter months and I'm noticing now that my 65% boveda packs are struggling to keep 60%.  Wondering if seasoning again is a good idea, especially during the dry winter months.

When I used my desktop I would re-season once a year right around September to avoid those type of issues. It definitely wouldn't hurt. This is also when I hydrate my beads and check to make sure my bovedas are not drying out.

23 hours ago, Silverstix said:

I'm noticing now that my 65% boveda packs are struggling to keep 60%.

saw this on reddit... maybe it's time we all took a page out of this guy's book:

image.png.16d567bc3439c1d37a763ad11e72bd78.png

(..and he has a walk-in humidor with shelves full of these)  ??????

• Haha 1

in all seriousness, though, I wonder if re-seasoning might be overkill as a practice.  Seems like if you monitor your RH and transition to 69% bovedas when it starts to drop at the beginning of winter you might be able to keep the humidity steady instead of having to shock it back to life periodically.  It's probably not a big deal, but it seems like a properly seasoned humidor is meant to stay seasoned and if it's drying out your humidification system needs tweaking.  My POS desktop humidor is currently holding steady at 65% with 72RH bovedas in it (65% is my target, but the stupid thing has never sealed quite right so the 72% B-packs are a necessary evil), so I feel your plight.  I have come to prefer coolers for the majority of my storage for this reason.

• Like 1

I can see why the guy would do that. Those glass to humidors are notorious for having leaks. I now use my old desktop as a dry box when necessary. My ice chests are not pretty but they get the job done. They also help prevent temp fluctuations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burningman said:

Those glass to humidors are notorious for having leaks

Yeah... I've heard you pretty much have to run a bead of caulk around every groove or it howls like a wind-tunnel

Just now, The Squiggler said:

Yeah... I've heard you pretty much have to run a bead of caulk around every groove or it howls like a wind-tunnel

Yes Sir. I used silicon but it still leaked. When it comes to desktops you really have to buy quality and quality isn't cheap. I got tired of dealing with issues so I moved to a simpler solution. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burningman said:

I got tired of dealing with issues so I moved to a simpler solution. 

Yeah... it didn't take me long to figure that out.  Now I have stacks of tupperware and coolers and a shelf full of flip lid jars... I still keep my desktop stocked but it's more trouble than it's worth really.  Honestly though, I'd kill to have everything neatly laid out in one place.  I think if I can find a decent deal on a quality cabinet I'm going to jump on it.