New Set of Irons: Iron or Graphite Shafts

Kitchen

I am thinking about getting a new set of irons before the year is done.  Any thoughts on getting iron or graphite shafts? 

19 minutes ago, Kitchen said:

I am thinking about getting a new set of irons before the year is done.  Any thoughts on getting iron or graphite shafts? 

I'm not an avid golfer, but, my cousin earned a full ride through college with his abilities. He and my brother are both low teen's handicaps.They play a lot.  When I play, I usually play with them. 

One thing they both say, even in relation to their own games, is that the super high end stuff doesn't make much of a difference for 99% of the golfers on the planet. 

Your game has to be TIGHT, nearly perfect physically and mentally, to be able to take advantage of things like Pro V1's, graphite shafts, adjustable loft drivers, etc. 

My recommendation is go Iron and spend the savings on some lessons or a couple rounds of golf. 

Thanks for the advice.  

To be honest, I am planning on buying a step above beginner irons, so I am not really spending a lot.  I have the option between iron or graphite, without any difference in price, and just wondering which would be better. 

4 hours ago, Kitchen said:

Thanks for the advice.  

To be honest, I am planning on buying a step above beginner irons, so I am not really spending a lot.  I have the option between iron or graphite, without any difference in price, and just wondering which would be better. 

Oh, Nice. Graphite shafts are usually 10%-20% more expensive. If the price is the same though I would recommend trying a few clubs with each shaft type to see which "feels" better. Graphite shafts are a lot lighter and can change the balance of a club significantly. Tiger Woods and plenty of other pros still use steel shafts. 

On a driver/wood you can pick up 10 yards with the lighter shafts/faster club speed, but possibly at the expense of some control/accuracy. You wont pick up nearly that much distance with the Irons, but you might still be messing with your control/accuracy. 

Steel or graphite I am assuming is your question ??

I agree with previous comments that for super high end it won’t matter that much only b/c if one is really good they can play with almost anything and still be good....but to be properly fit for clubs is far more important and especially for someone who has less  skill,  not that that is you just in general is all i am saying. The person who is worse has more room for improvement with proper equipment b/c almost all sets come with regular or stiff shafted clubs, which could be totally wrong for that person. 
The question isn’t really steel or graphite it should be flex and weight ... regular, stiff, x. 90g 110g 130g ... there r soooo many options. I actually mess around with my buddy building clubs but i am pretty avid and have tested most everything. I played in college and still compete in tournaments 25 years later. Now a days graphite is very consistent and basically the same as steel. It used to be the steel was more consistent but now they r both well made and trust worthy. 
I would suggest getting on a launch monitor like a flight scope or Trackman. These will give you basic facts. swing speed being what we r looking for here. Based on your swing speed you can easily research what shaft is best for you. I.e. regular , stiff, x , senior. Then from there it only gets more complicated. Weight ... I play project x rifle shafts 6.5 hard stepped ... I prefer heavy these r 125g but project x also makes Lz shafts now that are much lighter this seems to be the new trend. Then you can go from company to company. Dynamic gold. KBS etc .. every flex and weight along with kick  point is different from company to company. There is no set standard. 
Basically it gets really complex and as expensive as you want ... rather than say stuff to confuse anyone my best advise if you are going to become serious about golf.  Go get fit but DO NOT BUY clubs from the fitter. They will overcharge you.  But if you see a good fitter he will fit and explain what is best for your game and why. At this point you can search on eBay and find slightly used clubs for really good deals. Then you could always buy the shafts separate if they don’t come as you want and then pull the old shafts and replace with proper ones. Again I’m sure to much info.
All I’m saying is having the right tools is more important than what they look like. Weather it’s cheap or expensive won’t make you shoot 62 but having the right tools will help you enjoy the game and play it better. I know this 1000% !
last thing at the end of the golf season or even in the winter is a great time to get good deals on clubs. It’s like buying a convertible... cheaper in the winter when no one wants one. 
Seriously pm me if you have any questions I have tested and played around with loooots of equipment. Maybe more than I want to admit. It’s kind of a hobby I have a passion for. 
Best of luck and I hope this made sense. If not bring on the course I’d always better than being at work no matter what we shoot !
cheers 

Like others have mentioned, higher handicap players might not be able to tell the difference between the two.

Most pros you will see have steel shafts on their irons and graphite on the woods. I have the same.

You will tend to see graphite shafts on irons in seniors and ladies sets more often. Usually this is to make them a little lighter to make for an easier more fluid swing. Having the head more top heavy to allows for a quicker swing speed which equates to longer balls and getting the ball a little more airborne with adjusting kick points on the graphite.

Personally I would never go graphite on my irons, I am about a 8-10 handicap. But if you can find some for similar prices as the steel shafts, try them out and see if you like them. Many stores allow to hit balls and measure distance and trajectory. Buy what you hit better if the price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks all.  Lot of information to read over and think about; I just want to enjoy the game and not think about this, lol.  

I think steel will be the choice for me right now.  I also miss read the pricing; steel is a bit cheaper then graphite.  

So after looking at options, I decided to go with the True Temper XP 105 shafts for my irons.  

Looking forward to getting back into the game, especially since I live about a 200 yards from a course.  

• Like 1