Hoyo de Monterrey le Hoyo de Rio Seco TRU ENE 19

4 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Aroma at cold: pastry - a mixture of vanilla and cinnamon cookies. The cigar is rolled loose as adopted for HdM large format.

92b614aa503921e07ff830dc1a042877.jpg

1/3: Wood, viscous tannins, bitterness, spices, cream. Sometimes there is the smell of melted wax - the smell of Soviet mail office from childhood. The taste is very similar to the young HdM Epicure de Luxe. By the middle of 1/3 bitterness and tannins decreased. Strength is medium, body is above average is something that traditionally is not enough for large format HdMs.

9e7b64e43c3e31b94dcc316b98ccf72d.jpg

2/3: the bitterness and the tannins receded. Components of taste: oak, cream, spices, toasted tobacco alternates with burnt sunflower Seeds.

3/3: very powerful smoke. Burnt seeds, oak, salt, cream. Strength is above average, full body.

Conclusion: the cigar is very similar to the young HdM Epicure de Luxe. Good body - it is something that not enough for large rings HdMs (Especiall Epicure, De San Juan). Also De Rio Seco has a good evolution and a game of taste. Definitely some aging will remove the tannins and will be great taste. I give in advance 5/5 stars

Great Hoyo Pic! Is Rio Seco better than San Juan, Epi 2 and Epi Especial (I think it will be popular as Partagas Serie E No 2 soon)? I haven't tried any of Hoyo cigars yet.

Great Hoyo Pic! Is Rio Seco better than San Juan, Epi 2 and Epi Especial (I think it will be popular as Partagas Serie E No 2 soon)? I haven't tried any of Hoyo cigars yet.

I wouldn't compare it to Ep#1 and Ep#2 - different flavor profile
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

I wouldn't compare it to Ep#1 and Ep#2 - different flavor profile

Thanks! I heard both San Juan and Rio Seco are fuller than other HDM cigars. Is Rio Seco worth to try in your opinion? 

Thanks! I heard both San Juan and Rio Seco are fuller than other HDM cigars. Is Rio Seco worth to try in your opinion? 

San Juan did not cause enthusiasm, but for de Rio Seco El Presidente gives a good forecast.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nKostyan said:

San Juan did not cause enthusiasm, but for de Rio Seco El Presidente gives a good forecast.

Thanks! Rio Seco will be one of the HdM cigars I would like to try!

8 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Based on the recommendation of our host and other early reviews I picked up a couple of boxes when they were available on 24:24.  Anxiously awaiting to try one but sounds like they may need time.  One is ABO DIC 18 and the other RUM NOV 18.  

• Like 2

Nice review, Thanks!

Mostly on a whim, I snagged a 25 box dated LGR Sep 18 from what I think was the very first 24:24 appearance. I’ve had 2 so far, both of which seemed very approachable at youth with very little bitterness, but I found both to have a very intense concentrated baking spice sweetness, which I found a bit out of character for a Hoyo. I’ve only experienced that level of sweetness in a San Cristobal Principe before. I’m rather excited to see how this flavor pans out over the next few years, so I’m trying to forget I have them.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...