Tactics for meetings

On 5/14/2019 at 3:24 PM, Akela3rd said:

I've just sat through a very dull meeting (Scout leaders monthly) which mainly consisted of going over ground covered before, long tangents with no bearing to the matters in hand, and discussions about issues further down the list.

22 points on the agenda and after 45 minutes we were moving onto No.3.

I made my excuses and left.

I'm not a meetings person, can't stand them and will avoid attending them if at all possible. If I'm chairing I do it with an iron fist and keep things on track, stamping out any potential divergences ruthlessly. My meetings are short and functional (and deliberately rare).

Some people love it (my best friend being one of them) and turn up with the minutes of the last meeting and meticulously pore over the detail, take endless notes and generally immerse themselves in the process. I really don't get it.

What are your tactics in meetings and how do you avoid or end them? Or are you a freak that lives for a good bulletpointed agenda?

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

You nailed it.  Get outta there.

My boss brags about how he's on his HOA board.  I for one can't think of a worse hell. 

• Like 1

I'm a developer and have many scheduled meetings daily.  I've found 2 things work great in expediting the process.  1.  Have a talented scrum master to keep everyone on track and anything outside of the meeting agenda is taken offline.  2.  Make everyone at the meeting stand up, no sitting.  These stand-up's are typically very fast paced and focused only on the topic at hand.

Do the work everyone else would be doing whilst wishing the arrogant pee pee sheath would choke on brain matter during his hour long hoo haa monologue.

Edited by La_Tigre
Language choices