Chanceschmerr sails the World - Dubai (I have questions!)

Hello All!

I'm nearing the halfway point of my overseas deployment.  Been a good run but it's time for a break, and for me that means meeting with my wife and son for some mid-deployment leave.  Before I do that - I will be arriving in Dubai in a few days time and will be there for approx 48 hours before I fly.  Staying at a hotel in Deira for a couple of nights, I am looking forward to a proper bed.

Anyone out there with some specific Dubai recommendations? I've never been, so far my only plans are to go up the Burj Khalifa (I have a 5 pm booking for free from my hotel - whoohoo!)  What else should I see and do? How much does it  being Ramadan impact me (besides no eating or smoking cigars outside during the day)?

Some specific Questions I have, if anyone can help:
   - I am there during Ramadan.  I know i can't smoke in public - how does that affect the LCDH in town, are they open during daylight hours? Can you smoke inside them during Ramadan?
   - Any particular Cigar lounges that anyone can recommend for good comfortable atmosphere and a decent single malt selection?  Looking to have a good night with a few fellow officers on the ship
   - Are the Regional Cigars that much more expensive at the LCDHs in town, compared to the Airport LCDHs? If so, by how much?  I just don't want to feel like an idiot if I buy a box of Diplo Ammunition for $275 USD in town and at the airport I see it for $200 USD, something like that.
   - A question about the Airport LCDHs - I am flying from Dubai on Singapore Airlines, so Terminal 3, but I've heard Terminal 1 (the Emirates terminal) is the better LCDH. It sounds like from reading online, that once i'm on the secure side at Terminal 3, I can actually walk over to Terminal 1.  Does that mean I can go shopping at both T1 and T3 LCDHs????  I'll add more time at DXB before my flight if this is true....
   - Any other recommendations or underrated restaurants anyone can recommend?

Lastly - if anyone in Dubai wants to meet up for a cigar, let me know!!!

Looking forward to it! Cheers all,

• Like 1

I'm interested in this kind of etiquette too, as I'm off to Cairo at the weekend for some work. Usually a great place to smoke, but need to be respectful during Ramadan. My guess is that for a non-muslim, smoking after dark in the relative privacy of hotel bars / cigar places is going to be fine and won't cause offence. Not sure about daylight hours, but I don't much like the idea of drinking and smoking whilst being served by people who are almost certainly fasting! I do know that many moderately observant muslims will give up tobacco entirely for the month.

As for Dubai, I think Emirates is now not T3 not T1. It is a humungous airport and the transfer times vary a lot depending on where exactly you arrive and where you need to get to. I was in T3 LCDH recently and it was pretty good, but I haven't been into town to compare with shops there. I believe you can get between T1 and T3 to shop, but what a faff! Do you buy in the first place you like, or visit both then decide to go back to the first!?

8 hours ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

Hello All!

I'm nearing the halfway point of my overseas deployment.  Been a good run but it's time for a break, and for me that means meeting with my wife and son for some mid-deployment leave.  Before I do that - I will be arriving in Dubai in a few days time and will be there for approx 48 hours before I fly.  Staying at a hotel in Deira for a couple of nights, I am looking forward to a proper bed.

Anyone out there with some specific Dubai recommendations? I've never been, so far my only plans are to go up the Burj Khalifa (I have a 5 pm booking for free from my hotel - whoohoo!)  What else should I see and do? How much does it  being Ramadan impact me (besides no eating or smoking cigars outside during the day)?

Some specific Questions I have, if anyone can help:
   - I am there during Ramadan.  I know i can't smoke in public - how does that affect the LCDH in town, are they open during daylight hours? Can you smoke inside them during Ramadan?
   - Any particular Cigar lounges that anyone can recommend for good comfortable atmosphere and a decent single malt selection?  Looking to have a good night with a few fellow officers on the ship
   - Are the Regional Cigars that much more expensive at the LCDHs in town, compared to the Airport LCDHs? If so, by how much?  I just don't want to feel like an idiot if I buy a box of Diplo Ammunition for $275 USD in town and at the airport I see it for $200 USD, something like that.
   - A question about the Airport LCDHs - I am flying from Dubai on Singapore Airlines, so Terminal 3, but I've heard Terminal 1 (the Emirates terminal) is the better LCDH. It sounds like from reading online, that once i'm on the secure side at Terminal 3, I can actually walk over to Terminal 1.  Does that mean I can go shopping at both T1 and T3 LCDHs????  I'll add more time at DXB before my flight if this is true....
   - Any other recommendations or underrated restaurants anyone can recommend?

Lastly - if anyone in Dubai wants to meet up for a cigar, let me know!!!

Looking forward to it! Cheers all,

Absolutely love to see a level of civility and understanding of local customs. Really speaks to the character of the folks here. 

So I've been to Dubai three times, so I can offer a little insight. From a family trip perspective I very strongly suggest the yellow boat tour. It gets you out around the Burj al arab (sailboat shaped hotel), the marina, Atlantis. Really is a beautiful trip. We did the late afternoon version which then got us back right around dusk to the marina which is beautiful with light shows in the small fountain, and at sunset the whole place will be buzzing with people out eating. 

You've got to hit the spice souk. It's an experience. They run around trying to sell you fake rolex's they will rip you off in every store you walk in, but to have the experience to see and smell so many of the fascinating spices, is a cool thing. I bought some arabic style coffee and a few general spices for what was slightly more than a regular grocery store there, but again...the experience. 

Public transportation by way of their metro (trains) is sensational. Easy to find your way around, and they have dedicated cabins for women and kids only, which when traveling with my wife was great. She didn't have to be packed in like sardines with a bunch of dudes, and she could sit and be way more comfortable. Uber is also great, and reasonably priced. 

There is the Dubai Mall that has a fantastic fountain show at night (right at the base of the Burj Khalifa). it will be madness during Ramadan I suspect, but if you're going to be over there anyway, it's a good experience too. Very Bellagio-esque. 

Other things that are more of an endeavor - dune bashing where they drive you out to the desert and you bang around on the dunes. Although if you're deployed in the area, you're probably sick of spending time in the sand :P

Mall of the Emirates is an experience. I think that's the name of the one with the indoor ski slope. Just observing that is a trip. Dubai Mall over by the Burj was far more interesting to me. Giant aquarium, outdoor fountain, tons of shops.  

NOBODY is going to care if you're smoking a cigar in public after sunset. Heck, many of the local Muslims are smokers of shisha, cigarettes, cigars, etc., and many will actually break fast with a cigarette. While that sounds awful to me, you will not be the only one smoking at sunset. 

RE: the airport stores, maybe it shifted, but I thought I read more recently that Terminal 3 was the place to shop. I was there last September and the selection was really good, they had a guy who seemed fairly knowledgeable, opened MULTIPLE boxes for me to inspect, and was wildly patient while I tried to make up my mind on my first Cuban cigar(s). I ended up getting a 5 pack of Siglo II and a 3 pack of PS4D. They came in at about $14ea. At the time I thought that was a really fair price, but now that I have seen what the wonders of the Internet has in available, I realize that's on the high side. But it was 100% legal and the quality was great. If I were most educated at the time I would have looked at box codes and got a feel for what they had that was aged. 

Anyway, long post, but I hope you enjoy. I've really had fun on my trips and would consider it the most safe, Western spot I've spent time in from that region.