New Humidor Review: Avallo...the Aristocrat Alternative?

Markspring1978

On 1/25/2019 at 3:58 AM, SonGoku said:

I seem to remember contacting both Avallo and Aristocrat +10 years ago and asking for shipping to Europe. Either I didn’t get an answer or they replied something in the lines of the above. So gave up the thought and been thinking about building it myself. But gave up on that as well. I just don’t have the skills for it. Haven’t come across a manufacturer that builds them large enough or to the demands I have or seem legit enough here in Europe unfortunately. I would think there would be a market for it. Meanwhile the amount of plastic containers is getting out of hand here in my place.

A good finish carpenter or custom kitchen cabinet maker should be able to handle this.

• Like 1

Stabell offered nice inlays and marquetry, but I don't think so many took advantage of those options.  That is an advantage over some of the other makers.

Who here has a cabinet with all the fancy inlays and the like?

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Stabell offered nice inlays and marquetry, but I don't think so many took advantage of those options.  That is an advantage over some of the other makers.

Who here has a cabinet with all the fancy inlays and the like?

I've got an Ultra 2 door THC (brown mahogany), crotch raised panel sides, butt match crotch top, crown molding, crotch raised panel door, and a custom piece of marble affixed to the top.

Unfortunately, I'm still overseas and haven't taken any pictures of it. Here are a couple the seller took:

8CF0B194-7549-4420-8744-6E0FCF81DCE1.png

314E4B69-E56D-4A40-BC0D-CDBA5ECA91EB.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, Bri Fi said:

@Markspring1978 any update on your unit? Worth the $? Would you buy again? 

Unfortunately, there aren’t many options. I’m not sure what Matt’s lead time is now, but I assume it is 9-12 months.

I’ve managed to find a couple used Aristocrats on the secondary market. There is no comparison between the two. The Aristocrats have a much better humidification system and the finish/furniture value is far superior.  All that being said, finding a used Aristocrat is pretty tough these days. 

I still think the Avallo is the best option on the current market. I don’t have a Vigilant, but several other people that I know have had mixed results with them. Very expensive and some issues with their systems. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, that answers my question. I can’t find myself to spend several thousands on a unit unless it’s perfect. I know aristocrats are scarce, but my coolidors will have to do for storage for now. Especially with two little ones running around, I’m in no rush to have a nice piece of woodwork with permanent marker on it. Thanks for the info.