Rocky Patel - Can anyone beat them when it comes to hit or miss cigars?

Rocky Patel seems to have a wide swing of cigars.  Some, like the 2003 Cameroon and 1990, are consistently good to near great.  Then they make others like their decade cigar that aren't so hot.  I also have to laugh when I see their decade cigar is "95 rated."  

Anyway, what other brands come to mind where some of their cigars are really good and others are a total travesty?  CC or nons.

There are some great blends in the RP line up. There are also some garbage blends in the line up. I think Rocky Patel has far too many offerings. I bet there's 30+ different cigars in their portfolio. There doesn't need to be more 10.

• Like 1

The rp 50th is quite good. I've had some really, really bad ones from the more basic lines though. I've also had some really bad CC's from certain lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

Gurkha are pretty much a total travesty with nothing redeeming. 

Inuses to enjoy Flor Dominicana. They have a few good and then released the Bill. Oofa 

I agree. LFD has a few amazing cigars, my favorite being La Nox, but then the rest of their line is overpowering pepper bombs that put you in your seat for 24 hours.

I do like Rocky Patel sticks but the OP is bang on about them being hit and miss. I remember buying 2 sun grown maduro sticks from a B&M, let them rest for about 3 months then smoked the first one and it was honestly one of the best NCs I'd ever smoked, proper flavour-bomb. Couldn't wait to smoke the second one which I did a few days later and it was so bland and just very meh! 

In terms of consistency, the only blends I think that keep hitting the mark almost every time are the Vintage 1990 and the 1992. Probably the 15th Anniversary as well. Haven't tried all the blends so can't offer an opinion on them all.

Something happened to the rp vintage blends about 10 years ago, a bitterness that wasn't there before.  Perhaps the tobacco was rushed.  I stopped smoking his cigars at about that time.  Padilla is really my love/hate brand, he releases a cigar like the miami made that are awesome, then abruptly stops making them to focus on producing garbage.  At least the vintage reserve is still being made.  The difference with cc's is that if they dont taste that great you can sock them away for a few years and they will improve immensely.  Doesn't work for nc's.  Also, Imo house blends made for the big retailers have really tarnished some nc brands.