The Alexander Cocktail

JohnS

The Alexander Cocktail is a mixed drink, commonly referred to today as a 'Brandy Alexander'. The modern drink uses Cognac, White (or Brown) Creme de Cocoa and Half-and-Half. If you don't have half-and-half, make it yourself by combining some full cream milk and cream. The Creme de Cocoa may be white or brown, all that changes is the colour of your drink.

My Ingredients:

• 30ml (or 1 ounce)   cognac
  • 30ml brown (or white) creme de cacao
  • 30ml to 60 ml (1 to 2 ounces) light cream (or half-and-half)

My Method:

Shake all ingredients with ice and strain contents into a cocktail glass. Sprinkle nutmeg (and optional cinnamon) on top and serve.

5aad9b03bc0b9_2018-03-1114_09_23.jpg.8e91b1b8d419da59bfbe25cca19b84a2.jpg

The recipe calls for nutmeg to be sprinkled on top, but I like to add a little sweetness and spice to my Alexander cocktails, so I add cinnamon.

5aad9b09995d7_2018-03-1114_19_36.thumb.jpg.bf7d824f1a97bf346ba27415b8509077.jpg

However, did you know you can make this drink with Gin? The original recipe had a variation containing gin. When I make it with gin, I like to use White Creme de Cocoa to give the drink a lighter colour. Difford's Guide has a recipe for a Gin Alexander here.

My Ingredients:

• 30ml (or 1 ounce)   gin
  • 30ml white creme de cacao
  • 30ml to 60 ml (1 to 2 ounces) light cream (or half-and-half)

My Method:

Shake all ingredients with ice and strain contents into a cocktail glass. Sprinkle nutmeg (and optional cinnamon) on top and serve.

5aad9af86cfec_2018-03-1112_33_00.jpg.dbfefde5028d51b33d839972d197095a.jpg

Again, my preference is to add some cinnamon to the nutmeg sprinkled on top.

5aad9afe7a880_2018-03-1112_41_09.thumb.jpg.98271b44dfaf200d89c254353f4024aa.jpg

Why not give it a go and try this cocktail (either with Brandy, Cognac or Gin) with your next cigar!

Alcoholic cocktails pair better with citrus. bitters or sweeteners rather than milk products, that's true @NorCalAaron. Perhaps it's the cognac or gin that augurs well with me when I periodically have one every few months?

I think the last few years I've had Brandy and Gin-based Alexanders on New Year's Day with my cigars and yes, they've paired well with the combined flavours of shortbread, licorice and chocolate in an H.Upmann Magnum 56 LE @ayepatz. I can't recall specifically if I've tried a Gin Alexander with a Cohiba yet, but I'm willing to try it next time I make one! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Phinz said:

I was served a tasty variation with cherry wine (think: port made with nothing but cherries, rather than super sweet cherry brandy) to the traditional brandy Alexander. Yum! 

Indeed, that does sound delightful! :party:

• 1 month later...