John Knight Cigar

I don’t know if this helps, but I seem to recall reading an article by Simon Chase of Hunters and Frankau where he mentions Peter Knight of The Knight Brothers were importers of RYJ (Romeo and Julieta) to the UK at some point. Can’t find the link now. My guess would be they also imported Royal Jamaica. It looks like some Royal Jamaica with Peter Knights name on them popped up at an auction not too long ago. Maybe some sort of relationship there. Maybe John was the other brother? Just a guess.

As for Royal Jamaica cigars I have some from a previous collection of a good friend and I believe they’re from the late 80s early 90s. They were not good cigars in the early 2000s, but I smoked one about a year ago and it was decent. A little mild, but a decent experience. Hope this helps shed a little bit of light. Maybe some of the older, more experienced members will jump on here and talk about Royal Jamaica a bit more? Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Here’s the link to the story.

http://www.cigars.co.uk/news/the-origin-of-the-churchill-cigar/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

*You're very right, they weren't very good in the 2000's. How I do miss the Royal Jamaica's (and even Temple Hall Estates of the '90's too) which used that "Bethune" method of aging Jamaican cigars of yesteryear, using like cane sugar water or something to that effect. Some time back in 2009 or 2010 I think, it was Mike's Cigars company that released a cigar called "Royal Commerce", but that had some reference to the Royal Jamaica's of old. I was only able to find them in practically double corona size and they did have that essence of Royal Jamaica's sweet and mapley aroma and flavor. T'was not bad at all. Gotham Cigar Museum might be the only domestic located cigar company that would have any of the original Royal Jamaica's from the late '80's to very early '90's, along with authentic pre-embargo Havanas - at reasonable prices. Hope it's okay, moderators, for me to mention that.

• Like 3

I really appreciate the information guys. Upon receipt of this cigar, I was told the tobacco was taken from Cuba to England and rolled there. This was gifted to me from Simon Dove a few years ago. I will have to get in touch with him and find out the story behind it. My understanding is that it contains 100% Cuban Tobacco but rolled in the U.K. I could be wrong of course but that was the story behind this cigar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Alton Cigar Company (now defunct) once located in Birmingham, England was a cigar company there that rolled cigars consisting of both Cuban and Jamaican tobacco. I'd DIE to be able to experience that, just to see what it would be like. The last Jamaican/Cuban cigar was Jimmy Chang's product in Jamaica - their original "Montalvo" cigar. Don't believe it's available anymore - at least not with that tobacco make-up. You can find Montalvo's of present days - regular Dominican and possibly Mexican make-up or some such...

• Like 2