FORMULA 1

RED BULL SET EARLY DATE FOR RB14 LAUNCH

f1-red-bull-racing-livery-launch-2016-red-bull-racing-rb12-livery-unveiling.jpg

Red Bull announced on Twitter that they will launch their 2018 Formula 1 challenger – the RB14 – on 19 February – and it’s more than likely to be more than a livery reveal as they have done in the past.

The Red Bull occasion will thus be the second F1 new car ‘launch’ of the season ahead of the car rolling out on day one of testing in Barcelona.

In the past, on the insistence of chief designer Adrian Newey, Red Bull have left it notoriously late to have their car ready for the first day of preseason testing.

Some believe this backfired on the team last season and this year Red Bull team management have more than once hinted they will go all out to prevent such a scenario, hence the earlier launch.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

BRIATORE TO APPEAL 18 MONTHS TAX EVASION JAIL SENTENCE

Flavio-Briatore.jpg

Former Renault F1 chief and one of the more controversial figures in the sport, Flavio Briatore sentenced on appeal to 18 months in jail by Court of Appeal of Genoa for tax evasion in connection with his luxury yacht.

Briatore, the architect in chief of the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix Crashgate scandal, this time he was not fiddling in Formula 1 but rather with Italian income tax issues regarding the Force Blue luxury superyacht.

Briatore, whose yacht was seized in 2010, had his sentence reduced from 23 months, despite prosecutors asking for a four-year sentence.

Investigators contest Briatore’s claims that he does not own the Force Blue yacht but merely rents it from a company registered in the Virgin Islands. Investigators said the flamboyant Italian was the owner of that company – and by extension – owner of the 63-metre yacht is registered in the Cayman Islands.

Briatore was convicted of not paying €3.6-million of VAT on the yacht’s value and dodging €800,000 of fuel duties between 2006 and 2010.

Italian police say that according to EU regulations, yachts registered outside the European Union may only avoid paying duty if they leave EU waters within eight hours of refuelling.

His lawyers said: “He is innocent, we will appeal to the Supreme Court.”

BUTTON: FUJI DATE CHANGE FOR ALONSO HURTS SO MANY DRIVERS

Jenson Button, Fernando Alonso

News that Fuji Raceway changed the date of their 6-hours World Endurance Championship in October, to accommodate Fernando Alonso’s scheduled, has drawn the wrath of several drivers including none other than former teammate Jenson Button.

Last week Toyota confirmed that McLaren have granted the Japanese manufacturer the use of Alonso’s services for the 2018/2019 WEC super-season.

But a storm is brewing as dozens of drivers who have been inconvenienced by the move to ensure Alonso’s participation in the Fuji round, which clashed with the United States Grand Prix, are unhappy with the decision.

The new date now clashes with Petit Le Mans in which a number of drivers racing at Fuji would have committed to teams and been scheduled to race in, but now cannot.

Several of them have made their feelings known and in turn garnered support from Button who was Alonso’s teammate at McLaren for two years.

Button tweeted:

It’s a shame that a race is changed for one driver when the change hurts so many other drivers who have contracts in place but also other categories like IMSA and Super GT where a clash will hurt their fan base https://twitter.com/supergtworld/status/961975599119110147 …

Asked on the same thread if he was having a dig at Alonso, the 2009 F1 World Champion replied, “No it’s a dig to a category that should be bigger than an individual.”

Ford Chip Ganassi Team driver Olivier Pla:

Many thanks @FIAWEC I can’t believe you did it... your lack of consideration and respect for the drivers who had a contrat with a team in IMSA to race in NAEC the same weekend are unbelievable. I’m sure I will be not the only one to be impressed with what you did

Rebellion Racing LMP1 driver Andre Lotterer:

Hey! Wouldn’t it have been a lot easyer for everyone if @alo_oficial would just miss a @F1 race ? Is that gonna change much for him??

Video: A day in the life of Valtteri Bottas

Valtteri was back at the Mercedes factory last week and let us tag along with him to see what he gets up to during his trips to HQ. As we quickly found out, no two days are the same for a Formula 1 driver...

• Like 1

Hulkenberg on record of most GPs without podium

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Nico_Hulkenberg1-700x367.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg concedes he has had to become a “fair loser” having claimed the unenviable record of the most grand prix starts without a podium.

Hulkenberg is up to 135 races without a single top-three showing.

His best results to date have been a hat-trick of P4s with the German just 2.5s off the podium at the 2012 Belgian GP.

“As the Formula One driver in history with the most starts without a podium finish, you also have to be a fair loser,” he told No Sport magazine.

“I had a chance to get on the podium a couple of times, but there were always some unfortunate circumstances. Mostly things that I could not influence.

“But, hey, it’s also an achievement.”

Asked what he meant by that, he replied: “Well, 135 races without a podium – and I’m still in Formula 1.

“I’ve always been a believer in the attitude that when you work hard and stick to it, good thing happens. I’m not under pressure and I’m sure my best years are still ahead of me.”

Alonso first to drive 2018 McLaren in testing

Alonso first to drive 2018 McLaren in testing

Fernando Alonso will begin McLaren's Formula 1 pre-season testing programme when he drives the MCL33 on day one at Barcelona.
The Spaniard, who was limited to just 29 laps on day one last year because of an oil leak, will be in the new Renault-powered car all day on February 26.

His teammate Stoffel Vandoorne will take over driving duties on day two of the four-day test at the Circuit de Catalunya.

McLaren will unveil its 2018 challenger to the public on February 23, three days before testing, in an online presentation.

The switch to Renault power has lifted McLaren's hopes after three years of frustration with Honda engines.

Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32

But racing director Eric Boullier is keeping expectations for 2018 under control.

"We need to make sure that there are no strong comments and we keep just one line: which is under-promise and over-deliver," said Boullier. "That is the key."

Renault aims to "fully match" Red Bull by 2019

Renault aims to "fully match" Red Bull by 2019

The Renault Formula 1 team wants to match customer squads McLaren and Red Bull by 2019, as the French manufacturer builds towards its ultimate ambition of becoming world champion again.
Renault improved from ninth to sixth in the F1 constructors' championship in 2017, but finished more than 300 points behind Red Bull, which won three races and scored 13 podiums.

Renault's best results were five top-six finishes.

The Renault chassis improved dramatically through the season, ending it as the fourth quickest, but Red Bull's performance exposed a substantial remaining deficit and McLaren is also expected to leapfrog Renault in 2018 after ditching Honda.

Renault F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul expects his customer teams to be ahead this season, but wants the gap closed during the campaign and obliterated for the next.

"We know we have a substantial deficit to Red Bull in terms of chassis – in terms of aerodynamics and mechanical platform," Abiteboul told Motorsport.com.

"We know Red Bull very well and that's a fantastic benchmark. I think they have one of the best chassis if not the best chassis out there right now – we'll see what they come up with.

"McLaren is a bit more of an unknown for us, because they had a different chassis and a different engine, different drivers, so it's very difficult to compare. It will be an interesting benchmark.

Christian Horner, Red Bull Racing Team Principal and Cyril Abiteboul, Renault Sport F1 Managing Director Carlos Sainz Jr., Renault Sport F1 Team RS17, Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing RB13 Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren MCL32 and Carlos Sainz Jr., Renault Sport F1 Team RS17

"I think in terms of overall capacities, in the course of this year we should be able to match them.

"Having said that, they are very stable organisations, which are very well structured, very well organised, very well funded.

"We are still a work in progress, we are still growing up and still in the process of building our own team.

"I think it's not before 2019 that we can be in a position to fully match them, even if I would like to see a very small gap between us and them in the process this year."

When asked whether that meant Renault was aiming for a minimum of fifth place in the 2018 championship, Abiteboul replied: "We will confirm our sporting target when we present our car, but clearly it has to be in that direction."

INSIGHT: F1 WIND TUNNEL TECHNOLOGY REACHES AMAZING NEW LEVELS

Image result for INSIGHT: F1 WIND TUNNEL TECHNOLOGY REACHES AMAZING NEW LEVELS

Here at JA on F1 we like to take readers’ questions direct to people who know the answer. That’s how the original FOTA Fans Forum started in 2010.

We had this question about the level of sophistication of F1 wind tunnels and we put it to Professor Mark Gillan, formerly chief operations engineer at Toyota and Williams in F1 and a leading expert on wind tunnel development.

His answer shows how amazing the level of technology has become – with teams even able to introduce exhaust flows into the testing model – but also raises questions about how there is this whole side to the sport which is hidden away and secret.

Question: What do you know about or have heard about centrifugal forces research in F1? What if any differences are there between a stationary wind tunnel model. A rolling road wind tunnel model and a engine running, wheels turning wind tunnel model/actual car.

Hell, it keeps bikes running upright as if they have a ghost rider. There’s a strong force there. It has at least been looked at? Is there any exploitation of it in F1?

Prof Mark Gillan’s answer: Recent developments over the last decade in motorsport wind tunnel testing have been transformative.

However it should be noted that some of what goes on within an F1 tunnel facility is somewhat artificially directed by the restrictions in facility usage (via the F1 regulations), especially with regards to model size (now at 60% max scale in F1 through regulation), speed, wind on time, number of runs and tunnel occupancy.

During the last decade there has been a dramatic push in the following areas:

i) Aggressive application of enhanced efficient wind tunnel testing methodologies, including continuous motion systems, high speed data acquisition analysis, with ultra-quick model changes;
ii) Shape, aeroelasticity and turbulence intensity matching of model scale to full scale;
iii) True cornering studies with proper interference correction methodologies;
iv) Steel belt rolling road systems with eccentric wheel drive units for tracking tyre contact patch movement and measuring wheel lift through the belt;
v) Real time robotic flow visualisation and automatic minimal interference full flow field interrogation;
and
vi) Remote health monitoring of facility and Key Performance Indicators (or KPIs) tracking tools.

So to specifically answer your reader’s question; over the last decade the wind tunnel model testing process has transitioned from fixed steady state single ride height, yaw and steer systems to fully dynamic continuous motion models, integrated with high speed balances, pressure sensors and acquisition systems that map the entire operating envelope of the car within a few minutes of wind on time.

Typically this sweep is done with a roof-mounted hexapod system.

The rolling road systems and integrated boundary layer bleed systems not only give a more realistic flow field around the car – particularly in the diffuser region – but also allows you to measure wheel-lift through the belt using the eccentric wheel pads that sit underneath the tyre contact patches.

The teams can also run pseudo exhaust flows using integrated pneumatic systems or on board high speed electric motors.

There are even attempts to represent cornering manoeuvres, but this activity and process is secret.

As the teams drive their continuous motion systems faster and faster they do come up against limits and inertial effects play into this.

The teams then feed these complex multi-dimensional aero maps (measured in the tunnel) into their driver in the loop simulators.

The simulators help the teams better understand the importance of transient effects and stability criteria though performing “what if” studies.

These studies help drive the weighting criteria and KPIs in the tunnel and pinpoint what the test programme should include.

With each week F1 wind tunnel testing becomes more advanced, more dynamic and more realistic, with continuous improved correlation between CFD, the tunnel and the track.

HAAS: WE DON’T WANT TO BE MID-PACK AND MUCH MORE…

Gene Haas

Back-to-back eighth-place finishes in the constructor’s standings of the Formula 1World Championship has earned Haas F1 Team respect in the paddock and two years down the road owner Gene Haas has some interesting insights on the journey thus far.

Your debut season was hard, but you found success. You could argue that your sophomore year was harder because there was pressure to at least maintain that success. What about year three? 
Gene Haas: “It looks like everyone is going to be better. We identified our weak spots and Guenther (Steiner, team principal) and I had a good heart-to-heart talk on that one in Mexico City about what direction we were going to take and how we were going to improve. It’s no secret we use a lot of Ferrari equipment, so we’re using them as our baseline. We need to be within a half-second of the Ferraris in order for us to be competitive. We weren’t last year. I would say we were a second to a second-and-a-half slower than the Ferraris. Overall, we were maybe two seconds off the pole qualifiers, so we need to knock a second off that if we really want to be competitive.”

While car design remains relatively unchanged this year, there is a new rule that limits teams to three engines per year as opposed to the four engines they used last year. On top of that, there’s an additional race this year for a total of 21 races. Reliability is always important, but does this rule change further limiting the amount of engines you can use in a single season put an even greater emphasis on reliability?
GH: “I think it’s like anything else – the more seasons you have with an engine package, the more reliable it’s going to become. I have no doubts they can do the season with three engines. Plus, there’s not going to be this tremendous need for upgrades because the engine horsepower has somewhat plateaued. They are getting about as much performance out of the current dimensional package as you can. I don’t think Mercedes or Renault is going to be that much farther ahead or behind Ferrari. I think they are all within a half-a-percent of one other. I think from a reliability standpoint, the Ferraris are excellent.”

How helpful is it to go into this season with the same driver lineup and, with the exception of the addition of the halo, a rules package regarding car design that is relatively unchanged?
GH: “We’ve eliminated a lot of the variables where we knew we were weak, and we knew where we needed to focus. We need to be able to go to the majority of races and put the car down on the track and be fast. We’ve focused on what it’s going to take to get the cars to be consistent and to close that gap between the top cars.”

How did the pairing of Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen work out and what can we expect from them in 2018?
GH: “I’ve said it before – I thought our drivers were better than our cars in 2017. Grosjean is a very, very fast driver. His driving style is very different from Magnussen’s style. Grosjean is more hard-charging, braking and going through the turns. Magnussen is a little smoother going through those turns. They just have different driving styles, but they are both very aggressive and both want to win, and you have to have that kind of killer mentality to score points. You just have to. When the opportunity is there, you just have to go for it. That’s hard to find in drivers. They are all that way. They won’t give an inch to anybody and when it comes down to it, you really have to want to win, or at least score points. That’s what we have with our two drivers.”

Haas F1 Team scored 18 more points in its second season than it did in its debut season thanks in large part to both drivers scoring points. Did each driver’s competiveness and ability to achieve points push each other to perform at a higher level?
GH: “Our drivers’ competitiveness works well, and it’s not a negative because they work well together. They know what they’re doing, so I think that they kind of help each other, but they are competing against each other. It’s pretty amazing how the two cars are almost always close to each other in qualifying and practice, so you know the drivers are extremely capable. If we give them fast cars, they’ll move right up the ladder.”

What would you like to achieve in 2018?
GH: “We want to solve these technical issues that are holding us back. Tires are the toughest issue we have because you have to keep the tires in a certain temperature range, but how you keep the tires in that temperature range is how you handle your downforce and your drag and how you handle sliding the tires. The tires are very sensitive to downforce, overheating and sliding, but in order to get the tires right you have to have the right chassis and the right aero. Without all of that working right, the cars become very difficult for the drivers and you can’t expect them to make up for a car that just doesn’t have the capability of holding the track.”

Looking back on your second Formula One season, how would you assess it?
GH: “It was a learning year. Our first year, everything was new and everything has to be mentally digested about how do we go about racing in Formula One. In the second year, we understood a lot more in terms of what we were missing, and it became obvious midyear that our cars just weren’t fast enough to really be competitive. Some tracks they were quick, but other tracks they weren’t, and the question was, ‘Why did that occur?’ and ‘What are we going to do about that in the future?’, and that’s really a big pivot point for us going forward – how to solve those issues.”

How was your second Formula One season different from your first?
GH: “In our first season, we were extremely lucky to do as well as we did because in the second year there were a lot of races that we just felt lost. You would think that in the second year we would’ve been better at that, but I felt that we were actually worse and it became more obvious about what we had to do to find what we were missing. If you don’t know how to solve some of these issues, you go out and you just have a really bad day, no matter what you do. And that’s really frustrating because you’re supposed to be out there doing your Free Practice 1 and 2 and you should get better, but it’s like you would go out there and do Free Practice 1 and 2 and the third one would be worse and you’re going, ‘Wow, what are we missing here?, and we would ask, ‘Well, is it a driver issue?’, ‘Is it a car issue?’, ‘Is it a tire issue?’, and I think we’ve been able to narrow it down to determine it’s a car issue that effects the tires which makes the driver not able to perform.”

Were there some elements that you found to be easier, and were there other elements that ended up being more difficult?
GH: “Nothing was easier. It was more difficult and I think it was more difficult from the standpoint that the competition was more intense. The first year it seemed like we had more teams that were having challenges. It seemed like in the second year a lot of those teams sorted out their problems and all of a sudden they got a lot faster. The spread between the top cars and the bottom cars when we first started was four to five seconds, and now it’s down to three seconds. The field is tightening up and everyone is getting better.”

Was there anything about your sophomore year in Formula 1 that surprised you?
GH: “The surprising fact is that these very, very small differences in the cars can completely change the characteristics of how the car drives. We’re not talking a lot. The one issue is tires. If you get the tires a few degrees out of their window, the tires can almost change completely, and then once they are out of their window, how do you get them back in their window? The bigger teams are very aware of those issues and they spend a huge amount of their effort and time making sure those tires are where they need to be.”

What was the highlight of 2017?
GH: “We had two races where we scored double points – Monaco and Japan. Those were good and I was hoping that we could do better near the end of the year but, ultimately, we didn’t. I felt like we were 10 points shy of where we really needed to be, but it also brought into focus where those areas are that we need to work on.”

How do you think Haas F1 Team was perceived before the start of last year and what do you think its perception is today?
GH: “Now we’re just one of the teams, to the point where if we’re in front of Lewis Hamilton or whoever, they don’t go, ‘Who are these people?’. They know who we are. I think it’s good. In two years, we’ve survived. We’ve shown we can compete at this level, and the teams around us were all within a few points of sixth, seventh and eighth there at the end of the season. That was an interesting place to be, and I’m sure the teams in front of us were very happy that they finished in front of us because now it’s like they have another competitor to deal with.”

Beyond the sporting challenge of Formula One, there was a business case for your company, Haas Automation, to become involved in Formula One. You said you wanted Haas Automation to become a premium, global brand via Formula One. While brands aren’t built overnight, do you feel that growing Haas Automation globally is on track thanks to Haas F1 Team?
GH: “I would say half the time at machine tool trade shows, people want to talk about the car. People have a very big interest in the racing part of it and also from the machine tool side of it. So, it kind of brings it all together in terms of how they see us and the products we sell.”

You own two race teams competing at the pinnacle of NASCAR and open wheel while simultaneously running a billion dollar company. How do you balance it all?
GH: “It is a balance. It’s a constant challenge of testing all of your abilities – your stamina, your resources, your ability to outdo somebody else and win a race, and it’s very difficult.
“The NASCAR side works pretty well without me. Those guys know what they’re doing and have been doing it for a long time. We’ve won a couple of championships, so I have a lot of confidence in them. We’re still learning on the Formula One side. We don’t want to be in the mid-pack forever. We want to get on top of the mid-pack. That’s our goal.”

When did the racing bug bite, and when did you meld your passion for racing with machine tools?
GH: “I was in high school when I went to work for LeGrand racecars. One of my starting jobs there was machining magnesium wheel for racecars. I was 16 years old when (Red) LeGrand said, ‘Here’s this lathe over here. I’ll show you how to make some wheels.’ So he showed me and gave me a couple of tips and I’d say a month later I was sitting there machining wheels out of magnesium by myself. I could set the machines up and run the machines, so I was the magnesium machine guy there and that’s what I did. It doesn’t take long until you get involved with the racers there. The highest form of racing at that time was Formula 5000. I actually went to the Long Beach Grand Prix in 1975 followed by the Formula One Grand Prix in 1976, which went on for almost 10 years. I saw some of that high-profile racing right after college.”

RAHIMOV: CURRENT AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX CONTRACT UNACCEPTABLE

Azerbaijan Grand Prix, Baku

Former Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone made no secret of the fact that during his years at the helm of the sport he drove a hard bargain in charging exorbitant hosting fees for country’s wishing to host grand prix races.

The Azerbaijan Grand Prix organisers, largely funded by the government, reportedly pay $40-million per year for the privilege of hosting the race but are now questioning the value of their investment and are seeking a revised deal before committing to remaining on the calendar until 2025.

Azerbaijan’s Minister of Youth and Sports Azad Rahimov told Tass News Agency, “Within three months of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, we must give an answer to the Formula 1 management regarding our decision to extend the contract for another five years until 2025.”

“Everyone understands that the contract we have currently is not acceptable and I think the new leadership of Formula 1 understands this as well.”

“We are talking about a number of commercial conditions, sponsorship rights and the hosting fee that we pay, however I believe that both ourselves and the leadership of Formula 1 have the desire to have the race in Baku,” added Rahimov.

Meanwhile, Baku race organisers have announced that Jamiroquai will headline the opening night of concerts running on the fringe of the grand prix weekend in the city.

MALLYA: INDEPENDENT TEAMS WILL NOT BE FIGHTING FOR WINS

Vijay Mallya

Force India chief Vijay Mallya was proud of what his modestly budgeted team achieved last season but doubts his team can even sneak a victory on the lopsided Formula 1 playing field that prevails in the sport – favouring the grandee teams – due to the convoluted prize money arrangements that favour the big teams.

In an interview with First Post, Mallya reflected on 2017, “I’m extremely proud of how far the team has come in the last ten years.”

“In 2008, we were at the back of the grid and now we are the established fourth-placed team. That’s a huge achievement and it has been incredibly satisfying to achieve these results – beating teams such as Williams, Renault and McLaren in the process.”

But Mallya remains realistic about hopes of increased success by pointing out, “At the moment there is a huge gulf that we need to close on the top three teams, but I’m still proud that we are: best of the rest. We are racing against huge car manufacturers and we need to be realistic about what we can achieve with our own resources.”

“So I’m satisfied and proud of the job we are doing, but hungry for even better results and podiums. The goal for the future is to maintain our position and start closing the gap to the teams ahead of us.”

With regards to being a small team battling behind the big three – Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull – Mallya said, “Being an independent team brings positives and negatives. One positive is that we can choose our engine, and the alliance we have with Mercedes has proved to be an excellent strategic decision.”

“At the same time, we don’t have the luxury of a big car manufacturer behind us and the resources this entails. It’s no secret we lack the financial might of Mercedes and Ferrari.”

“These privileged manufacturer teams also benefit from beneficial prize money arrangements, which further widen the gulf to the independent teams. It’s something that we’ve always believed has an impact on the health and competitiveness of the sport.”

“A more equitable sharing of the prize fund would allow other teams, including Force India, to compete on a more equal footing. Until this is addressed, it’s unlikely we will see independent teams fighting for race wins.”

“In the meantime, we simply have to make the most of the resources that we do have and extract maximum performance from them. This is why it’s felt so special to emerge as the established four-placed team for the last two seasons.”

“We might not be able to win the race, but we can punch above our weight and achieve exceptional results. I take special satisfaction from reading experienced commentators of the sport calling us the: bang for buck world champions.”

“For pounds spent versus points scored, many observers have named us the most efficient team on the grid,” added Mallya.

Regarding the future path for Formula 1, Mallya opined, “From a personal viewpoint, the cars of the 1990s will always capture my imagination. It was when I first became closely involved in Formula One and those cars invoke special emotions in me and many others.”

“At the same time, there’s no point longing for the past and we need to strike a balance between tradition and new technology.”

“The new era of cars, including the new Formula E car, still look aggressive – even with the halo – and it’s important they are relevant for the younger generation of fans we are trying to attract to the sport,” concluded Mallya.

MIKA: Here is a chart showing cost per point.

F1-Budget.png

• Like 1

ESPN to carry Sky Sports F1's coverage in 2018

jm1728my109.jpg

ESPN will carry Sky Sports F1’s presentation of Formula 1 for viewers in the United States this year.

ESPN has replaced NBC in the United States after the latter decided not to renew its contract, having been unwilling to go head-to-head with Formula 1’s new-for-2018 OTT service.

On Wednesday, ESPN confirmed that it will carry commentary from Sky Sports F1 for all 21 Grands Prix through 2018, which will be broadcast on ESPN and ABC.

ESPN also revealed that the agreement to air Sky’s coverage “was arranged by Formula 1”, with the approval of both companies, while ESPN and Sky Sports production personnel will collaborate on special segments for US viewers.

“We are excited to work with the Sky Sports team,” said Kate Jackson, ESPN coordinating producer, motorsports.

“Their coverage of F1 is second to none and we look forward to bringing their expertise and authenticity to our audiences.”

Scott Young, Head of Formula 1 at Sky Sports, added “We are delighted to be working with ESPN and ABC, and with this partnership extend Sky Sports F1’s award-winning coverage overseas.

“Each season we look to find new ways to improve the broadcast and entertain our viewers and this year will be no different.”

Williams announces technology partnership with Acronis

Williams.jpg

The Williams F1 Team has announced a new technology partnership with Acronis, a global leader in hybrid cloud data protection and storage.

As part of the partnership announced on Tuesday, Acronis will deliver innovative data protection solutions, including backup, disaster recovery, software-defined storage, and file sync and share for the Grove based outfit.

Data is a hugely important part of getting a competitve advantage in the sport, with teams capturing hundreds of gigabytes of telemetry data during any one race weekend, and terabytes of engineering and test data at the factory, which must be secured and easily accessible to the engineers.

Acronis’ expertise in data protection will assist Williams to deal with the growing volumes of data without compromising the security and flexibility mandated by F1.

"Technical innovation is at the heart of everything we do at Williams, and with that comes a crucial need to protect our data,” commented Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams.

"Acronis will protect Williams’ on-premise and cloud service data with backup, disaster recovery, and secure file sync and share solutions. We are delighted to be partnering with Acronis whose values mirror our own to push technology and innovation. We look forward to them helping to deliver practical solutions throughout the coming season to support our racing efforts."

John Zanni, president of Acronis, added: "Acronis is at the leading edge of data protection technology and continuing to push. Speed, technology, innovation, and a never-give-up attitude are at the heart of our DNA and this is what unites us with Williams. Acronis’ data protection solutions are perfectly suited for Williams data-intensive environment. We’re looking forward to a productive season together."

Formula 1's best races have "huge untapped potential"

Formula 1's best races have "huge untapped potential"

The push Liberty Media is giving Formula 1 race promoters will help its best events unleash "huge untapped potential", according to Australian Grand Prix boss Andrew Westacott.
Westacott was recently part of an all-in promoters forum hosted by F1 chiefs in London, which acted as both a look back at Liberty's first year in charge of the sport, and a presentation of what's coming in the near future.

The Australian Grand Prix Corporation CEO was left deeply impressed by what he heard from Chase Carey and his team, sensing a shift in focus and a lot of enthusiasm about the future of Formula 1.

"I'm extremely happy, and I think their vision is underpinned by three things – great racing, an amazing spectacle, and engaged fans," Westacott told Motorsport.com.

"For us running the show here, none of that comes as a surprise to what we do and what we see that fans want. So I'm extremely enthused about what they're doing and how excited they are.

"There is huge untapped potential in the sport of Formula 1. There's a feeling of a different approach and a different philosophy, and it aligns perfectly to what we've been doing in Melbourne for many years and what Melbourne does with all of its events.

Westacott didn't just participate in the forum, but also took the opportunity for a day and a half of private talks with Liberty, largely centred around a fresh approach to digital engagement.

"We've got to raise the bar every year. And I wanted to talk about areas where I want to raise the bar even more," he added.

"Formula 1 wants to move from being a motorsport company to being a media and entertainment brand, and we recognise at the Australian Grand Prix Corporation that we're in that mix.

"So I'm really pleased about the future and the optimism that exists in Formula 1, because that's the way the sport needs to go, and there's huge untapped potential there.

"What's vital, and is helping us, the fact that there's positive direction and positive sentiment now in Formula 1 is building on our own initiatives and as a result of many different things we're in a stronger sales position seven weeks out from the event than we have been for a decade."

The Autosport Podcast: Will the halo ruin Formula 1?

d41c9a28a54cf83d519352957cdec507.jpg

The latest edition of The Autosport Podcast tackles the controversial question of whether the introduction of the halo will ruin Formula 1

With the first of the 2018 F1 cars launching this week, fan criticism is expected to ramp up over the introduction of the cockpit protection device.

Ben Anderson and Lawrence Barretto join Edd Straw to tackle this subject head on, addressing both the wider impact of the halo and the rationale behind its introduction.

There's also a look ahead to the impending launches and pre-season testing, posing the key questions that will be answered between now and the start of the season in Australia next month.

The Autosport Podcast is available to subscribe to free via iTunes and other podcast suppliers - simply search for 'Autosport'.

HAAS SPRING SURPRISE AS FIRST TEAM TO REVEAL 2018 F1 CAR

HF1_VF18_FRONT (2)_preview

Haas F1 Team sprung a surprise becoming the first team to reveal their 2018 Formula 1 challenger which is designated the VF-18 which featured the mandatory Halo safety device.

Haas set the much anticipated F1 launch season rolling on Wednesday as the first of the 10 teams to offer a glimpse of their new car complete with the new ‘halo’ head protection device.

The Ferrari-powered U.S.-owned team, who finished eighth overall last season for the second year running, released digital images of the VF-18 car on their website and social media.

“The biggest part of the car´s evolution was the addition of the halo,” said team principal Guenther Steiner in a statement.

“It took quite a bit of study by the aerodynamicists, but the designers had to work hard to modify the chassis so the halo could survive the mandated loads.”

The halo, fixed at three points with its central upright in front of the driver and an overhead loop, is designed to protect the otherwise exposed helmet from bouncing wheels and flying debris.

The Mercedes team’s technical head James Allison said last week that the device can withstand the weight of a London double-decker bus.

With few other rule changes for 2018, Steiner said the car was “less about reinvention and more about refinement.

HF1_VF18_THREE_QUARTER_FRONT (2)_preview (1)

“You see elements we had from last year on the car this year,” he added.

“Our 2017 car was actually pretty good, but we didn´t always get the best out of it, and that´s what we aimed to change in 2018. We got the car as light as possible to carry more ballast. We were able to do a better job of putting the weight where we wanted it.”

Testing starts in Barcelona on Feb. 26, with Frenchman Romain Grosjean and Denmark’s Kevin Magnussen returning as Haas’s line-up for 2018. The season-opening race is in Australia on March 25.

Williams are due to unveil their new car on Thursday with the remaining teams holding launches, virtual and real, during the course of next week.

Champions Mercedes, with Britain’s Lewis Hamilton going for his fifth title this season, will present their car at Silverstone on 22 February.

HF1_VF18_THREE_QUARTER_REAR (2)_preview

Press Release:

Haas F1 Team’s 2018 challenger in the FIA Formula One World Championship, the VF-18, made its official debut today via the organization’s social media platforms and website.

The VF-18 is an evolution of the team’s second car, the VF-17, which carried Haas F1 Team to an eighth-place finish in the 2017 constructors standings. Forty-seven points were scored by the VF-17 during Haas F1 Team’s sophomore season, 18 points more than the total earned in the organization’s debut season in 2016.

Incorporating “VF” into the name of the car is a nod to the history of Haas Automation, the team’s title sponsor. The first CNC machine manufactured by Haas Automation was the VF-1 in 1988. The “V” stands for vertical, which is an industry standard designation for a vertical mill. Gene Haas, founder of Haas Automation, added “F1” to the name to unofficially designate it as the company’s “Very First One”.

As chairman of Haas F1 Team, the “F1” moniker of that first machine has taken on added significance as Haas utilizes Formula One to build Haas Automation into a premium, global brand.

“People see what we can do in Formula One and people believe Haas Automation can build world-class machine tools,” said Haas, whose entry in 2016 became the first American Formula One team since 1986. “Being a Formula One participant brings a level of credibility that you just won’t get through traditional advertising.”

Haas has built Haas Automation into the largest machine tool manufacturer in North America by focusing on the details amid constant refinement. He has applied those same attributes to Haas F1 Team.

“We eliminated a lot of the variables where we knew we were weak,” Haas said. “We’ve focused on what it’s going to take to get our car to be consistent and close that gap to the top teams.”

HF1_VF18_TOP (2)_preview

Beyond refinement, the VF-18 carries the significant addition of the halo and a drastic reduction in the sharkfin.

“The biggest part of the car’s evolution was the addition of the halo,” said Guenther Steiner, team principal, Haas F1 Team. “It took quite a bit of study by the aerodynamicists, but the designers had to work hard to modify the chassis so the halo could survive the mandated loads. The total minimum weight of the car increased because of the halo, and there’s a higher center of gravity simply because of the halo’s position. But, everyone is in the same boat.

“The regulations stayed pretty stable between 2017 and 2018, so the VF-18 is an evolution of our car from last year. It’s less about reinvention and more about refinement. You see elements we had from last year on the car this year.

“Our 2017 car was actually pretty good, but we didn’t always get the best out of it, and that’s what we aimed to change in 2018. We got the car as light as possible to carry more ballast. We were able to do a better job of putting the weight where we wanted it.”

The corporate colors of Haas Automation were carried over to the VF-18. Gray makes up the majority of the livery, augmented with tones of red and black that incorporates the look of Haas Automation’s complete line of vertical and horizontal machining centers, turning centers and rotary tables and indexers. Approximately 1,300 employees encompass Haas Automation, with the Oxnard, California-based company exporting its machines to more than 60 countries. The VF-18 showcases Haas Automation’s commitment to technology and innovation to a passionate, global audience.

“The livery is a little bit of a return to what we had on our first car, the VF-16,” Steiner added. “Its look is clean and precise, just like the machine tools made by Haas Automation.”

The VF-18 tests at Circuit de Barcelona – Catalunya Feb. 26-March 1 and again March 6-9 before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix March 25 in Melbourne.

F1 TO OFFER SUPERCAR RIDES WITH TOP DRIVERS

Hamilton, Bolt

Formula 1 fans will have the chance to be driven around race circuits in supercars this season by the likes of McLaren’s double world champion Fernando Alonso and Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.

The ‘Pirelli hot laps’ programme, announced on Wednesday, will start at the Bahrain Grand Prix in early April and feature at nine other rounds of the 21-race championship.

McLaren, who are owned largely by Bahrain’s sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat, and Red Bull’s new title sponsors Aston Martin have signed up already with other manufacturers to be announced soon.

Formula One said in a statement that Aston Martin would use their new V8 Vantage with Red Bull’s Australian Daniel Ricciardo and Dutch driver Verstappen among those at the wheel.

McLaren will provide a 720s supercar with drivers to include Spaniard Alonso, Belgian team mate Stoffel Vandoorne, Finland’s retired double world champion Mika Hakkinen and British reserve Lando Norris.

A bespoke garage will be provided for the programme, which will run special competitions and promotions for fans to win rides as well as catering for celebrities and guests.

Leading drivers have given occasional ‘taxi rides’ for visiting celebrities in the past, with four-times champion Lewis Hamilton taking Jamaican Olympic sprint great Usain Bolt around the U.S. Grand Prix circuit in a Mercedes last year.

There has been no formal programme, however, involving the general public and allowing the sport’s manufacturers to show off their supercars.

Formula One, which already has a two-seater race car ‘experiences’ programme for guest VIPs and those who can afford it, did not say which grands prix would feature after Bahrain.

“The once in a lifetime experience of being driven at speed by a racing driver at iconic race circuits in dream cars is truly unique,” said Formula One’s commercial managing director Sean Bratches in a statement. “We are seeking to be fan first and this is yet another example of our efforts to that end.”

VERSTAPPEN REVEALS 2018 HELMET DESIGN

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen has revealed the helmet design he will use for the forthcoming Formula 1 World Championship season.

The new design contains elements from his previous helmets and has Red Bull emblazoned predominantly on either side.

Toro Rosso fires up 2018 Honda F1 engine

Scuderia Toro Rosso has fired up the 2018 Honda engine attached to its STR13 chassis for the first time.
In a video released on Twitter, the 2018 Toro Rosso chassis is shown in production and then being assembled, with drivers Brendon Hartley and Pierre Gasly having their seat fittings.

It ends with audio of Honda’s latest RA618H power unit being fired up, with an image of last year's engine.

I don't like the halo at all.  I think the windscreen that indycar tested last week is a far superior option.  Though neither will ever reduce the chance for death in these cars to 0.

Having said that, it doesn't look as bad as i was expecting it to be.  Sharp looking car.  I cannot wait for the season to start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skalls said:

I don't like the halo at all.  I think the windscreen that indycar tested last week is a far superior option.  Though neither will ever reduce the chance for death in these cars to 0.

Having said that, it doesn't look as bad as i was expecting it to be.  Sharp looking car.  I cannot wait for the season to start.

I agree mate but I think HAAS have done a great job to disguise the Halo into their livery as best as humanly possible.

Not long to go! I drive past Albert Park lake each day and they have started putting up barriers and fencing already.

• Like 1

WILLIAMS LAUNCH THEIR 2018 F1 CHALLENGER

DWGU9mHXUAMFZgS.jpg

Williams have taken the covers of their 2018 Formula 1 car, describing the FW41 as ‘significantly different’ to its predecessor which was a disappointment last season which the team aims to address with their latest creation.

The car is the first to credited to Paddy Lowe, Williams’ chief technical officer, and head of aerodynamics Dirk de Beer after they both moved to the Grove outfit at the start of last year.

Images of the Mercedes-powered FW41 were shown on a big screen at a launch in London, without the car being physically present. Those who had hoped to see it in the flesh will have to wait until testing in Barcelona on 26 February.

The car is the first under Lowe’s guidance, with the Briton joining from dominant Mercedes last March with plenty of expectation.

“No pressure, Paddy,” joked deputy principal Claire Williams.

And added, “I am thrilled to be back and launching our new car, for a new season, with a new, exciting driver line-up. For many months, the team have put a tremendous amount of effort into the FW41 and I’m eager to see both Lance and Sergey take to the track later this month.”

“Lance produced some impressive performances last year in what was a remarkably strong debut season, where he only just lost out to Felipe in the standings. His podium finish was the only one outside of the top three teams, and we aim to build on that this season.

“It’s also my pleasure to welcome Sergey and Robert to Williams, who have both displayed exceptional speed and qualities that I know will only strengthen the team. Sergey has impressed the technical team and it is great for us to be able to give him the opportunity to step up into a race seat.”

Kubica, who had been hoping to return to the starting grid for the first time since a 2011 rally accident partly severed his right arm, will be the team’s reserve and development driver.
Williams added, “Robert will also be working closely with the team, utilising his experience to help develop the car throughout the season.”

“Our entire team have put a huge amount of effort into the development and production of this year’s car, and we’re all looking forward to seeing it on the track. I would also like to thank our partners and fans for all their confidence and support.”

The team have also recruited former Ferrari chief aerodynamicist Dirk de Beer, who started at much the same time as Lowe who said there had also been some “radical changes” to the car’s packaging (relative to last year) to incorporate developments from Mercedes.

Williams, fifth for the past two seasons after finishing third in 2015, could have a tough year ahead with the youngest lineup on the starting grid in Canadian teenager Lance Stroll and 22 year old Russian Sergey Sirotkin who replaces retired Brazilian Felipe Massa.

The gulf between Williams and fourth-placed Force India, who have the same Mercedes engines and operate on a similar budget, ballooned to 104 points least year from 35 a season earlier.

McLaren, now with Renault engines after ditching Honda following three dismal seasons together, and Renault’s own works team are also expected to be breathing down their necks.

Williams were, however, the only team outside Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull to finish on the podium last season thanks to Stroll’s third place in Azerbaijan.

The Canadian, now 19, was the youngest rookie podium finisher in the sport’s history and also the youngest front-row starter, “I am a different person to where I was last year,” said Stroll. “I learned from the tough times… and I enjoyed the good times.”

WILLIAMS: WE WOULD ONLY PUT TALENTED DRIVERS IN OUR CAR

2018 Williams Season Launch. Shoreditch, London, United Kingdom. Thursday 15 February 2018. Paddy Lowe, Claire Williams, Lance Stroll, Sergey Sirotkin and Robert Kubica World Copyright: Sam Bloxham/LAT Images ref: Digital Image _J6I6204

Speaking at the launch of the Williams FW41, deputy team principal Claire Williams is adamant that in Lance Stroll and Sergey Sirotkin the team have hired the best drivers available despite the lack of experience between the pair.

Stroll, 19, whose career has been bankrolled by his fashion billionaire father Lawrence and Sergey Sirotkin, the 22-year-old Russian rookie who will bring €15-million in sponsorship to the team, are due to form the most inexperienced line-up on the F1 grid this year.

Williams said at the launch event, “We would only put talented drivers in our car. This is a dangerous business and we are not going to put someone in just because they come with money.”

“Our decision-making process is so much more complex than just because a driver has cash, and it would be incredibly naïve for anyone to make the statement to say we needed a pay driver.”

“We are an independent team and yes, sponsorship is really difficult to come by these days… so clearly if a driver has some financial backing then that is an added bonus, but it’s not the foundation for a decision-making process at Williams.”

“The vocab used around pay drivers is wrong, inappropriate and unnecessary, and it puts negativity round a driver that we just should not be doing in this sport anymore.”

“We don’t make these decisions lightly and if we had any doubt over our line-up we certainly would not be putting a driver in our car,” added Williams.

The family-owned team, founded by Frank Williams, have to pay for their Mercedes engines and compete against manufacturers with far bigger budgets.

They have finished fifth overall for the past two seasons, after ending up third overall in 2015, and last won a grand prix in 2012.

The team – that won titles in the 1980s and 1990s with a string of champions including Nelson Piquet, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell. Jacques Villeneuve and Damon Hill – have had to budget carefully in recent years and have indulged ‘pay drivers’ to help fund their seasons in the past and in 2018 as well.