FORMULA 1

MCLAREN PREVIEW THE BELGIAN GRAND PRIX

StoffelVandoorneF1GrandPrixHungaryQualifyingqS95OF521Fax.jpg

McLaren drivers and team preview the Belgian Grand Prix weekend, Round 13 of the 2018 Formula 1 World Championship, at Spa-Francorchamps.

Fernando Alonso: “Even though Formula 1 has been on its summer shutdown, it feels like a lot has happened since Hungary! I’m pleased to finally confirm my decision for 2019, but that doesn’t in any way deter from what me or the team will be focusing on for the rest of the year.

“We still have a lot of work to do and I’m really looking forward to being back in the car from FP2. Although I’ve raced more recently that anyone else on the grid, at Silverstone in WEC last weekend, I still can’t wait to get behind the wheel at Spa. It’s one of the best circuits on the calendar and usually a lot of fun.

“Spa is the longest track we race on and a lot of it is at full throttle, so it will be a challenging weekend for us. But, I feel fresh, motivated and ready to attack the weekend and the second half of the season.”

Stoffel Vandoorne: “I’ve never felt more ready to come back after the summer break! I’ve really enjoyed the time away, being able to switch off and spend time with friends and family that I don’t often get to see much between races, but I’m definitely looking forward to getting back in the car.

“My home race is always one of the key highlights of the season, and every year I go there we see more and more passionate fans in the grandstands. The feeling is incredible and the whole team always receives a very warm welcome everywhere we go.

“Although the DNF was hugely disappointing in Hungary, I had a much more positive feeling in the car and my main objective is to carry this momentum forward to Spa and these back-to-back races. Spa is also my favourite track – as it is for many other drivers – and I’ve raced there all through my junior career, so it feels like a second home for me and I hope we can put on a good show for the Belgian fans.”

Gil de Ferran, Sporting Director: “The Belgian Grand Prix is a significant one for McLaren for a number of reasons. It’s a legendary track on the calendar and one where we’ve had a great history. Next weekend we’ll be celebrating a very special milestone – the 50th anniversary of our first win, by Bruce McLaren back in 1968, and we’ll all be wearing special t-shirts to mark the occasion on Sunday.

“Secondly, this weekend will be the first time that our reserve driver Lando will drive the MCL33 during a race weekend, as he steps into Fernando’s car for FP1 on Friday. This is not only part of his ongoing development, but also the evaluation and performance evolution of the car. We’ll be taking a strategic view race-by-race at where else this might be beneficial for us over the coming grands prix.

“Spa-Francorchamps has a well-deserved reputation as a racers’ circuit due to its historic significance and popularity among the drivers. We’ll be head down and pushing hard as usual to aim for points for both cars in front of our Belgian fans at Stoffel’s home race.”

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

RENAULT PREVIEW THE BELGIAN GRAND PRIX

NicoHulkenbergF1GrandPrixHungaryQgrrN6JROMCx.jpg

Renault Sport Formula 1 Team previews the thirteenth race weekend of the 2018 Formula 1 season, the Johnnie Walker Belgian Grand Prix.

Drivers Nico Hülkenberg and Carlos Sainz share their thoughts on Spa-Francorchamps, while our management and technical staff give the latest on the team and on the Renault R.S.18-R.E.18 package.

Cyril Abiteboul, Managing Director, Renault Sport Racing: “It’s good to get back to track action after a well-needed rest for many during the summer shutdown. The break provided us with the opportunity to recharge the batteries, reflect on the first part of the season, and prepare for the many challenges ahead of us until Abu Dhabi, in order to defend our current position in the Constructors’ Championship and allow Nico and Carlos to strengthen their places in the standings.”

Nico Hülkenberg: “We know we have to get back to it and set the tone straight away if we are to stay ahead of our midfield rivals. We’re well aware we have a battle on our hands, but I know the team are motivated to keep developing the car to find performance. They can be sure that I’ll be putting the effort in behind the wheel to deliver the results, there’s a lot of hard work ahead of us, beginning in Belgium.”

Carlos Sainz: “There are still a lot of races to go this year and I’m determined to leave Renault having driven the R.S.18 at its very best. Staying fourth in the championship will not be easy, but we’re up for the challenge, and I’ll be giving it my all to deliver the results on track. It’s good that I’ll still have the link to Renault next season, but my focus is definitely on the races this year.”

SAINZ: MAX WOULD NEVER DO THAT

CarlosSainzMaxVerstappenF1GrandPrixAQHgiCVv6Amx.jpg

Carlos Sainz has rubbished suggestions that Max Verstappen prevented the Spaniard from joining him at Red Bull in the wake of Daniel Ricciardo’s surprise defection to Renault.

Before Pierre Gasly was confirmed as Verstappen’s teammate for next year, Sainz was a candidate for the seat with rumours emerging that the young Dutchman vetoed the idea of teaming up with his former Toro Rosso teammate.

Since then Sainz has been signed by McLaren to replace departing Fernando Alonso.

When quizzed by reporters about the ‘Verstappen’s veto’ chitchat, Sainz insisted, “Max would never do that. I do not know where this rumour comes from. Max is one of those people in the paddock that I understand best.”

Red Bull have made their choices for the future and clearly, Sainz was not required by the team that groomed from his junior days. In retrospect, the writing was on the wall when his bosses agreed to loan him out to Renault.

“I can only thank Red Bull for the chance to race for different teams in Formula One. And not going to Red Bull Racing does not mean I’ll never do that,” added Sainz keeping a door open for a return to the Bulls while harbouring no grudge.

As for his immediate future with McLaren, the 23-year-old said, “I think it is the right place for me at this time. The team is being rebuilt and everything is focused on getting back to the front. My contract runs for two years, but my intention is to stay longer and celebrate success with them.”

MARKO: NEXT YEAR WE’RE GOING TO BE FAR AHEAD OF RENAULT

max-verstappen-red-bull-racing-rb14-tag-heuer-leads-nico-hulkenberg-renault-sport-f1-team-rs-18-stoffel-vandoorne-mclaren-mcl33-renault-and-valtteri-bottas-mercedes-amg-f1-w09.jpg

Red Bull motorsport chief Helmut Marko has taken the first post-summer break swipe at Renault by claiming that his team – powered by Honda –  will be far ahead of the French outfit next season.

In June, Red Bull finally decided to ditch Renault and take up with Honda starting in 2019, the Japanese manufacturer currently powering their Toro Rosso junior team with results that have prompted optimism among the team’s management.

Speaking during a talk-show on Servus TV Marko said, “Next year Honda will make a much bigger effort with us. They have a development centre in Sakura which no team can keep up with.”

“Japanese is a different culture and they different working methods. You learn that over time. Our approach with Honda is different to McLaren’s way. They were telling them what they wanted from the engine, we just said to them: build us the fastest engine possible, then we will do the rest on the chassis-side.”

“We don’t make any demands from them and we discuss everything together,” revealed Marko.

The Renault divorce was well documented, with Marko stating the obvious, “We lost faith in Renault, they were always making predictions that we were going to be competitive the next year, but it never happened.”

Marko has obviously kept an eye on Toro Rosso running Honda power for the first time this season and reported, “With Toro Rosso everything is working perfectly.”

“Honda is a partner who is fully committed, has the financial and technical resources and thus we are the number one team for them in F1.”

“The performance of Toro Rosso is showing that they are clearly making progress, I am sure that next year we are going to be far ahead of Renault,” predicted Marko provocatively.

Renault chief Cyril Abiteboul, of course, thinks different, predicting the French company will produce engines capable of beating Mercedes and Ferrari in 2019!

HAMILTON EXPECTS UPPER HAND IN FINAL HALF

belgium.jpg

Lewis Hamilton has reasons to be cheerful as Formula 1  regroups in Belgium with plenty of developments to digest after an August break punctuated by headline-grabbing moves and announcements.

Spa-Francorchamps has been good to the Mercedes man in recent years and last season the Briton took a record pole position before celebrating a win that set him on a run of success that culminated in a fourth title.

This time he returns with a 24-point lead over Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, compared to a 14-point deficit last time around.

Even if the weekend turns out to be cold and wet, as is so often the case at the historic track in the Ardennes forests, Hamilton’s spirits are unlikely to be dampened after a refreshing few weeks away.

“The second half is always exciting, it’s always intense, particularly when we go to the long hauls,” Hamilton said after winning in Hungary at the end of July. “The second half is usually… it gets a bit better on our side,”

With nine races to go, the championship could still swing either way and Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff is making no predictions.

“If this season has taught us one thing, it’s that there are no clear favourites for specific tracks anymore and that it’s not always the fastest car that wins,” he said in a team preview for Sunday’s race.

“Instead, the competitive balance seems to swing back and forth from circuit to circuit. What is clear is that our competitors are pushing extremely hard and put up a very tough fight.”

Ferrari will also fancy their chances, with their car showing plenty of pace and Kimi Raikkonen standing on the brink of a milestone 100th podium after finishing in the top three in his last five races.

The 38-year-old Finn is a four-times winner at Spa, including Ferrari’s most recent victory at the long, sweeping high-speed circuit that represents one of the greatest challenges for any racing driver.

Raikkonen’s future is also in the spotlight after a summer flurry of driver moves, including double world champion Fernando Alonso’s decision to leave Formula One at the end of the year.

Sauber’s Monegasque rookie Charles Leclerc is strongly tipped to step up to Ferrari but Raikkonen could still find a home elsewhere.

Despite the August factory shutdowns, the break was less of a lull than usual with Australian Daniel Ricciardo triggering a shockwave with his decision to leave Red Bull for Renault in 2019.

That was followed by Spaniard Carlos Sainz switching from Renault to McLaren, following that team’s Alonso announcement, and Red Bull confirming Pierre Gasly this week as Ricciardo’s successor.

The situation at Force India, who will come out of administration after a takeover led by the billionaire father of Williams’ Canadian driver Lance Stroll, means the driver merry-go-round has some spinning to do yet.

One of those who could feature in that is McLaren’s teenage British reserve Lando Norris, who will be making his Friday practice debut in Alonso’s car before returning to his Formula 2 duties.

2018-cHAMPIONSHIOP-pOINTS-AFTER-hUNGARY.jpg

2018-cHAMPIONSHIOP-pOINTS-AFTER-hUNGARY-constructors.jpg

SUABER DRIVERS PREVIEW THE BELGIAN GRAND PRIX

MarcusEricssonF1GrandPrixHungaryQualifyingiJ7rpVf_dDtx.jpg

After the two-week Formula 1 summer break, the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team returns to the race track with a fresh boost of energy and motivation – this time, heading to the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps for the 2018 FIA Formula One Belgian Grand Prix.

One of the most famous and popular tracks on the calendar, Spa-Francorchamps offers various challenges to drivers and teams, of which the wide variety of corner types Marcus Ericsson and Charles Leclerc find the most interesting.

With often unpredictable weather conditions, this race weekend is one that demands high flexibility from teams in how they manage the ever-changing conditions. The team looks forward to getting back on track for the second half of the season.

Marcus Ericsson: “We’re off to Belgium for the first race after the break. We are coming back recharged after a nice summer, and it is great to kick-off the second half of the season at one of the best tracks on the calendar – the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps. It is uniquely challenging and always a great circuit to drive on. We have the opportunity to build on a strong first half of the season, on a track that should suit us quite well. The unpredictable weather conditions could add an extra twist and make it even more exciting to race there. I look forward to the weekend.”

Charles Leclerc: “Although it was nice to have some time off and review the first half of the season, it is good to return to racing. The most important thing will be to get back in the rhythm as quickly as possible, and as a team, to regroup and focus on our target, which is to continue making progress as we did during the first half of the season. The Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps is a very special one. The lap is very long, and it has all different kinds of corners, which makes it interesting to drive on. I look forward to being back in the car there.”

GERMANY SET TO STAY ON FOR 2019 F1 CALENDAR

German F1 fans

Despite ongoing doubts, the German Grand Prix looks likely to remain on the Formula 1 calendar next year amid growing optimism about the race’s future.

Formula One’s managing director Sean Bratches said on Tuesday he suspected there would again be 21 races, the same number as this season, on the 2019 calendar but provided no details.

“I’m an optimist. We haven’t released our schedule yet albeit we will shortly; around Spa,” the American told Reuters after addressing a Black Book motorsport forum in London.

“My German’s not great, it’s OK, but the talks have gone OK,” he added.

Spa-Francorchamps hosts the Belgian Grand Prix this weekend.

With no new races due to appear until 2020, Germany’s future remains the big question mark with Hockenheim circuit out of contract after last month’s race.

There has also been talk of the Nuerburgring taking the place of Hockenheim, although that track has had financial difficulties.

Jorn Teske, Hockenheim’s marketing director, told Reuters that talks with commercial rights holders Liberty Media had been ongoing in recent weeks but no deal had been done as yet.

“We very much hope that we will host the GP next year but I cannot say more. It’s still open. We are still discussing,” he said.

“What is clear is that both parties are trying to find a solution and this is very good. It means there is really a serious interest of Formula One to keep the German GP. “So yes, we are optimistic as well but that’s all for the moment.”

A new race in Miami was supposed to feature on next year’s calendar but that has now been postponed to at least 2020 pending consultation with concerned locals.

Bratches said he was confident that proposal would not go the same way as a now-defunct planned race in New Jersey, which was scheduled for 2013 and then pushed back to 2014 before being shelved.

“I have every reason to feel optimistic about the prospects of racing in Miami in 2020,” he said.

“We are working closely with Steve Ross and his team and the myriad constituencies in southern Florida to make this happen. We’ve made a lot of progress, there’s work to be done.

“Things are complicated but I still continue to suggest that the Formula One brand and Miami are very complimentary and the economic impact that we can bring into the city and county of Miami is extraordinary.”

FISICHELLA: ALONSO AND I HAD AN OPTIMAL RELATIONSHIP

alonso-fisichella.jpg

Paddock consensus is that Fernando Alonso is, without doubt, one of the greatest drivers of the modern era, however many – including the senior management of the top three teams – would not touch the Spaniard because of the inevitable polemics he brings to a team.

Alonso has tended to try to dominate and marginalise his teammates while manipulating teams to focus on his own needs, his time with Felipe Massa at Ferrari springs to mind as one of the Spaniard’s most ruthless hatchet jobs.

But Giancarlo Fisichella, Alonso’s teammate at Renault in 2005 and 2006, refutes the prevailing opinion when he told El Mundo Deportivo, “We shared two very good years together. There was an atmosphere in the team that I had never encountered before.”

“We were friends and we got along very well. Together we won everything. We had an optimal relationship and friendship. Sometimes an hour before the races we played cards,” recalled the 45-year-old.

This contrasted to Massa’s experience with the Spaniard at Ferrari, the Brazilian recalled, “Outside of the race car, I had zero problems with Fernando, but when he pulls down his visor, he becomes another person and he can split a team. We saw that in many racing teams he drove for.”

But Fisichella, who watched Alonso rack up two world titles in their spell together at Renault, did not relate and said of Massa’s comments, “I say that for me it was not like that.”

History shows that in 2007 Fisichella stayed at Renault while Alonso made his ill-fated move to the Ron Dennis led McLaren team where he came up against bright young rookie Lewis Hamilton. It was war, the battles etched in the sport’s folklore and the massive fallout afterwards well documented.

As for advice to Alonso, in the light of his decision to quit F1 at the end of the year, Fisichella said, “Driving a winning F1 car like a Mercedes or a Ferrari, would be fun. Driving a McLaren like the one Fernando drives, which battles for sixth, seventh or eighth, does not make sense.”

“I would tell him to continue doing what he knows best. He has achieved so much and I wish him all the luck for the future,” added Fisichella who had a 13-year spell in the top flight, driving for Minardi, Jordan, Benetton, Sauber, Renault, Force India and briefly for Ferrari.

He scored three wins in 229 starts before quitting F1 after the 2009 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, after which he remained a Ferrari reserve and test driver. He was reunited and again worked with Alonso when the Spaniard joined the Scuderia in 2010.

Fisichella has for several years been a regular competitor in GT racing with Ferrari affiliated teams, winning the Le Mans 24-Hours GTE-Pro Class in 2012 and 2014 with AF Corse.

He is currently competing in the WEC championship in the GTE-Am Class in the Spirit of Race Ferrari team, while Alonso does duty in the LMP1 Class with Toyota Gazoo Racing.

WILLIAMS PREVIEW THE BELGIAN GRAND PRIX

SergeySirotkinF1GrandPrixGermanyQualifyingX4IDiaFBbC1x.jpg

The sun sets on summer as we return to the race track following Formula One’s two-week “shutdown”. With five races over six weeks in June and July, teams were rightly rewarded with a fortnight’s rest to recharge before Belgium, host of Round 13.

A favourite amongst fans, the Spa-Francorchamps circuit is the longest track of the year, made all-the-more exciting with its ever-changing weather conditions.

For Belgium, Pirelli has made available the medium, soft and supersoft tyres.

Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer: We returned refreshed from the summer shutdown and are looking forward to getting back to racing action in Belgium this weekend. The Spa-Francorchamps circuit is favourite amongst fans, teams and drivers and has an old-style layout which is a great challenge. It’s also the longest on the calendar but includes some iconic corners including Eau Rouge. Set in the Ardennes forest, it is a picturesque setting but with that comes the changeable weather which can be different at different parts of the circuit presenting its own challenges to the drivers and engineers.

Lance Stroll: I have never really been a huge fan of this track as it has never clicked for me, although I appreciate that many drivers do love it. However, it is my second home race, as my mother was born in Belgium, so it does have a special meaning for me. It is a long lap with some amazing sections and the weather can play an important part – it can change in a second with rain on one side of the circuit and the other side dry, and then anything can happen. It also has a lot of history and I know the fans always enjoy it, whatever the weather!

Sergey Sirotkin: Spa is one of the biggest races in the F1 Championship, one which everyone is looking forward to racing at. With the current cars and track safety evolution, it has become much less risky and challenging for the drivers, but it is still an exciting track. It’s a great location and after the summer break, it will be nice to come back fresh and race at such a great circuit!

Sebastian Vettel was always going to be successful claims Gerhard Berger

jm1808y711.jpg

Former Formula 1 driver Gerhard Berger claims he always knew Sebastian Vettel would be successful due to his attitude to learning at such a young age.

Vettel was taken on by the Red Bull junior programme in 1998 at the tender age of 11 and swiftly arrived at Toro Rosso in 2007, replacing Scott Speed at the Hungarian Grand Prix after subbing for the injured Robert Kubica in Canada for BMW.

Berger was a 50% stakeholder in Toro Rosso at the time and was taken aback by Vettel's attitude toward learning more about his craft during his time at the team against his two predecessors in Speed and Vitantonio Liuzzi.

The 10-time Grand Prix winner oversaw the now four-time world champion storm to his first Grand Prix win at Toro Rosso during the sodden weekend of the 2008 Italian Grand Prix where he also took pole position in the same conditions.

When asked by Tom Clarkson, host of the F1 podcast if he felt Vettel would always achieve something in F1, Berger said: "Yes, absolutely.

"When he came to us, he was 18 or 19 years old and his brain worked like a 30-year-old. I experienced the two guys before, Vitantonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed and when they talk to you, especially Scott Speed look to you to say; What are you talking about!?

"They didn't have a clue what experience 210 Grand Prix brings with you and which experience you can transfer to them.

"Vettel was completely different, he sucks out everything out from you, he filtered it, the good things he took and the bad things he put on the side and he just put in race by race into the ground.

"So the guy was just very grown up when he arrived with us, you could see if his package is right, he is going to be a successful driver."

Preview: Formula 1 ready for Spa treatment

jm1724au62.jpg

Formula 1 is back in business this weekend as the paddock reconvenes at what is likely to be a cool and wet Spa-Francorchamps for the Belgian Grand Prix. Motorsport Week previews the event and provides the key statistics.

History

The first Belgian Grand Prix was held in 1925 on the public roads linking the area which houses the modern circuit with the nearby districts of Burnenville and Stavelot.

A further nine events were held at Spa-Francorchamps through to the end of the 1940s, via one excursion to the Bois de la Cambre public park in Brussels, and it joined the nascent Formula 1 roster in 1950.

Spa-Francorchamps established itself as one of the most revered venues but its dangerous nature meant it came under close scrutiny amid the safety drive of the late 1960s.

The flat and featureless Nivelles circuit hosted two Grands Prix prior to financial malaise and general apathy towards the track, while Zolder held 10 Grands Prix, including the fateful 1982 event that resulted in the death of Gilles Villeneuve.

Formula 1 returned to the renovated and shortened Spa-Francorchamps in 1983 and the seven-kilometre ride through the Ardennes Forest re-established itself as the de facto venue in 1985.

It has been absent only twice since (2003, 2006) and recently signed a contract extension through 2021.

jm1727au143.jpg

Circuit

Spa-Francorchamps is undoubtedly one of the best circuits on the Formula 1 calendar, featuring an array of flowing and challenging corners, and almost 100 metres worth of undulation.

The lap begins with the La Source hairpin, after which drivers descend past the old pit lane before tackling the Eau Rouge/Raidillon complex, a left compression that immediately and rapidly rises, cresting a blind summit, leading directly into the Kemmel Straight.

The Les Combes complex marks the end of a near 30-second full-throttle section and leads straight into the right-hander at Malmedy, a tricky cambered turn that can quickly pitch unwitting drivers towards the gravel trap.

Malmedy marks the highest point of the circuit, after which drivers soon descend, plunging through the long-radius hairpin at Rivage, the left-hander at Liege, and the fearsomely fast Double Gauche (Pouhon). The right-left of Pif Paf follows and the exit of the subsequent right-hander of Stavelot is crucial, commencing another full-throttle section that incorporates the flat-out Blanchimont kink.

The rather clumsy and out-of-place Bus Stop chicane – reprofiled when the circuit facilities were renovated for 2007 – concludes the lap.

What happened in 2017?

Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton and Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel went wheel-to-wheel in a tense race-long duel for the win.

Hamilton retained a slender lead for much of the encounter but a Safety Car phase brought Vettel back into play, who was equipped with fresher and softer tyres.

jm1727au257.jpg

Hamilton brilliantly preserved his advantage by marginally backing off on the run to Eau Rouge, prompting his rival to do likewise, and denying Vettel the slingshot he craved along the Kemmel Straight.

Hamilton thus held on to triumph, with Vettel second, while Daniel Ricciardo overhauled Kimi Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas to round out the podium finishers.

Hamilton’s victory was his third at Spa-Francorchamps, following on from triumphs in 2010 and 2015, though he remains adrift of Michael Schumacher’s all-time record of six.

Raikkonen is the most successful Belgian Grand Prix driver on the grid having earned the nickname ‘the King of Spa’ during his first stint in Formula 1, on account of wins in 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2009.

Vettel was victorious in his 2011 and 2013 title-winning campaigns while Ricciardo surged to top honours in 2014 in the wake of the infamous collision between Mercedes pair Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.

In terms of qualifying last year’s pole position brought Hamilton equal on four with Juan Manuel Fangio, Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost.

Raikkonen and Vettel are the only other drivers on the current grid to have taken a pole position at Spa-Francorchamps, in 2007 and 2011 respectively.

Fernando Alonso, meanwhile, was triumphant at the circuit during the World Endurance Championship round this May – but has never won a Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix.

Other details

Hamilton heads into the second half of the season holding a 24-point lead over Vettel in the standings after a pair of unexpected wins in Germany and Hungary.

jm1829jy235.jpg

In the Constructors’ battle Mercedes holds a slender 10-point buffer back to Ferrari.

Tyre supplier Pirelli has nominated the Supersoft (red), Soft (yellow) and Medium (white) compounds in order to cope with the demands placed upon the rubber by Spa Francorchamps.

Either the Soft or Medium tyres must be run for one stint of the 44-lap Grand Prix, assuming dry conditions prevail.

Mika Salo will act as the drivers’ representative on the stewarding panel.

There will be two DRS zones: one along the pit straight, and the other located along the Kemmel Straight.

McLaren reserve driver Lando Norris will make his Grand Prix weekend debut during practice, replacing Fernando Alonso for the opening 90-minute session.

Formula 2 and GP3 will act as the main support series, with both junior categories returning to action after their respective summer breaks.

jm1829jy193.jpg

Weather forecast:

Friday: Rain showers, 16°c
Saturday: Rain showers, 12°c
Sunday: Rain showers, 14°c

Timetable: (GMT+2)

Friday 24 August
FP1: 11:00 – 12:30
FP2: 15:00 – 16:30

Saturday 25 August
FP3: 12:00 – 13:00
Qualifying: 15:00 – 16:00

Sunday 26 August
Race: 15:10 (44 laps or two hours)

What next?

Monza will host the 14th round of the season, the Italian Grand Prix, from August 31 to September 2

Force India F1 team could run under new identity

Force India F1 team could run under new identity

Force India could run under a new identity within this season if the FIA is satisfied that its relevant legal issues have been properly addressed – but it’s not yet clear whether it could happen as early as this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix.
It’s understood that the team may be allowed by the FIA to run under its usual name and identity at Spa, if the situation with the new entry cannot be resolved in time.

An unexpected situation arose last week when plans for a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll to take the struggling Silverstone team out of administration could not be completed within the two-week deadline, mainly because of the legal problems of shareholders Dr Vijay Mallya and the Sahara Group.

Consent from 13 Indian banks was required for the deal to go through, while it’s understood that there was also a lien (a right to keep possession of property until a debt is discharged) from drinks company Diageo in relation to a loan made to Mallya.

Losing rival bidder Urakali suggested yesterday that the sale process was flawed, noting that “despite expiration of the deadline set by the Administrator, no rescue plan was submitted to the court for approval, which confirmed Uralkali’s view that the rescue option was not achievable in the timeline and under conditions proposed by the Administrator.”

Instead, late last week Stroll switched strategy and bought the assets of the team, which means the cars, the Silverstone factory, the equipment and everything required to go racing – except for the actual entry, which still in theory belongs to Force India, which remains in administration, but now has no physical assets.

The entry is usually regarded as a valuable element of any team sale, but the move by Renault, McLaren and Williams to block the transfer of commercial rights to Force India’s new owners, meaning in effect the team would not get the prize money accrued by the team’s performances over recent seasons, had already created a stumbling block. In other words, making a fresh start was not as much of a penalty as it would otherwise have been.

What the FIA regulations say…

Although the FIA Sporting Regulations specify that teams have to enter for the following season by November 30th, Article 8.1 does appear to leave the door open for changes at a later date.

It reads: “Applications at other times will only be considered if a place is available and on payment of a late entry fee to be fixed by the FIA. Entry forms will be made available by the FIA who will notify the applicant of the result of the application within thirty days of its receipt.”

Clearly a space is available as the ‘new’ team will simply replace itself, and in the context of the overall deal a late entry fee will be a minor consideration for Stroll.

The process of creating a new entry from an existing team is clearly a complex one, with the Concorde Agreement to be considered as well as FIA regulations. One of the legal complications is that an F1 team entry has to be submitted via an ASN, which previously meant India.

Today, Force India logos and references to Vijay Mallya’s companies Kingfisher and UB Group were stripped from the trucks and from signage in the Spa paddock.

What Liberty says…

Formula 1’s owners are keen to ensure that the team remains on the grid, and is supportive of Stroll’s ownership.

“I think it's very important for the sport,” F1 commercial boss Sean Bratches told Motorsport.com earlier this week. “And not only from a competitive standpoint on the grid – they're the team that came in fourth in the points last year – but also from the perception standpoint of the sport.

“We are trying to create value across the board, and to have teams go into administration with no successor, it doesn’t portend well, so I'm glad this is behind us.

“We're encouraged about the ownership group and the ownership structure, and we're optimistic that they will be able to compete at the levels that they have historically.”

Renault expects Hulkenberg penalty in run-in

Renault expects Hulkenberg penalty in run-in

Renault expects Nico Hulkenberg to take a grid penalty during the remainder of the Formula 1 season after the energy store failure he suffered in Hungary.
Hulkenberg stopped on track at the Hungaroring during Friday practice and Renault had to revert to the energy store he started the season with for the rest of the weekend.

The team initially feared that the failure would trigger MGU-K and MGU-H problems as it damaged some wiring looms, but the energy recovery systems were unharmed.

However, Renault chassis technical director Nick Chester said the energy store will not be re-used this season and he does not expect Hulkenberg to complete the year with the used component re-fitted in Hungary.

Hulkenberg had moved onto his second energy store in Austria, along with teammate Carlos Sainz and both drivers at Renault customer McLaren.

He will need to use a third energy store, one more than allowed by the regulations, which means a five-place grid drop.

Nico Hulkenberg, Renault Sport F1 Team RS 18

"I think probably most people are aware we were probably going to have to take a penalty at some point anyway on energy store," said Chester in Hungary.

"It's quite badly damaged. It had a short somewhere, so it's not like the cells have done something weird on their own."

Any driver who took an early energy store change, or has lost the use of it completely because it suffered a terminal failure, is under pressure to avoid future penalties.

Mercedes' Valtteri Bottas had an energy store change during the season opener in Australia, while Kevin Magnussen picked up his second at Haas in Azerbaijan (round four of 21).

Force India gave Sergio Perez a fresh energy store for round six in Monaco, while Sauber's Marcus Ericsson moved onto his second component in France (round eight).

Those that have made changes since then are likely to be safe, subject to future failures, and this includes Romain Grosjean and Charles Leclerc (Britain), both Ferrari drivers and Max Verstappen (Germany) and Lewis Hamilton (Hungary).

Williams pair Lance Stroll and Sergey Sirotkin, plus Force India's Esteban Ocon, made it to the summer break without changing their Mercedes energy stores.

Honda-powered Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley, plus Daniel Ricciardo at Renault-engined Red Bull, have already exceeded the limit after tactically taking grid penalties to make several new components available for the rest of the season.

Several drivers are set to take penalties because of other engine changes.

Bottas is already on his third V6, turbo and MGU-H with one more Mercedes upgrade to come, while Raikkonen and Verstappen are onto their third turbos.

Sainz and Grosjean have had to take an extra turbo in the first half of the season, while McLaren's Fernando Alonso is on his third engine, turbo and MGU-H.

The rest of the field have either moved onto what they will hope will be their final combustion engine, turbo and MGU-H of the season, or are yet to make that change.

What's behind latest Ferrari tech intrigue?

What's behind latest Ferrari tech intrigue?

Eagle-eyed fans will have noticed something slightly odd about Ferrari's pre-race preparations at the last few grands prix – with the team dumping a cooling bag on top of its onboard camera as the car sits on the grid.
The bright yellow sack, believed to contain dry ice, has in fact also been spotted on top of the car during pre-run preparations in the garage ahead of practice sessions and qualifying.

As the only team to employ such a tactic it has prompted some intrigue about whether Ferrari has found a clever performance gain – or if this is simply a diversion tactic to take the focus off something else the team is doing.

Ferrari's official explanation for the move is that the bag is being used to cool the electronics in the onboard camera.

With the performance of the cameras a vital part of the entertainment package in F1, ensuring that they are working to their best is essential for the fans.

But with there having been no suggestions of cameras overheating and, with Ferrari being the only team to employ such a tactic, its account for what it has been up to has drawn a sceptical response from rivals.

Teams rarely do anything in F1 without there being a performance benefit, so Ferrari's cooling bag has prompted a host of other theories – with no firm answer yet about what the motivation behind it all is.

Some have pointed to the fact that Ferrari could be using the cooling bag to try to alter the ambient temperature inside the airbox – in a bid to provide a temporary boost to engine performance.

Ferrari SF71H steering wheel

Earlier this year, F1's technical regulations changed to try to prevent teams from messing about with temperatures of the airbox, amid fears that efforts could be made to super cool air for better performance.

Article 5.6.8 of the 2018 regulations states that engine plenum temperatures must now be more than 10 degrees higher than ambient temperature.

However, there are some exceptions, as the rules state that the temperature does not have to be above this limit at all times of the event.

"The first lap of the race, laps carried out whilst the safety car is deployed, pit in and out laps and any laps that are obvious anomalies (as judged by the technical delegate) will not be used to assess the average temperature," states the F1 rulebook.

Could Ferrari have found a way to boost its engine performance for qualifying and the start of the race by cooling the air going into the power unit?

Or could the cooling be related to the temperature of the MGU-H? If Ferrari is able to get more performance out of its energy recovery system in the early stages of a race by allowing it to run in a colder operating window, then that could pay dividends.

One other theory is that the cooling bag is being used not for an ultimate performance gain, but as the way of helping Ferrari keep hold of any advantage it already has – by blocking what its rivals can see.

Indeed, onboard footage of the Ferraris on the grid at Hockenheim and Hungary showed that when the camera bag was in place, it conveniently blocked the camera lens – meaning the team's pre-race preparations inside the cockpit and more especially its steering wheel settings were hidden from view.

It's been no secret that Ferrari has enjoyed some brilliant starts in recent races – which prompted some deep investigations from rival Mercedes to try to recover the ground it had lost.

One area of intrigue surrounding Ferrari's strong starts has been the use of an extra control element that is hidden below a silicon covering on the front of the team's wheel – as its highlighted in the below drawing from Giorgio Piola.

Sebastian Vettel steering wheel, Ferrari SF71H

Analysis of the race starts of both Ferrari drivers shows them engage this control (which is either a button or a fulcrum) with their thumbs (Vettel on the left and Raikkonen on the right) once the start sequence is under way, and then release it once the five red lights have gone out.

What this control does is unknown, but it is a new element for this year and it is most likely being used to help the drivers achieve the perfect getaway – either through helping them pin-point a clutch bite point or through how the clutch itself is released.

With overtaking so hard in F1 this year, gaining places at the start has taken on an increased importance – which makes it perfectly logical as to why Ferrari would do all it could to keep the secrets of its getaways away from the prying eye of rivals.

What will be more intriguing to see will be whether the 'camera cooling' continues now that the worst of the hot races are behind us. And what better place to spot a chance than the fickle weather than often greets us at the Belgian GP.

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF71H on the grid

FIA APPROVES ENTRY FOR RACING POINT FORCE INDIA

JPB_3661.jpg

The Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA), has today, 23 August, accepted the midseason entry of Racing Point Force India with immediate effect to the FIA Formula One World Championship in accordance with Articles 8.1 and 8.2 of the 2018 Formula One Sporting Regulations.

This means the team will race this weekend at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Since the Force India Formula One Team Limited was placed into administration on 27 July, the FIA has worked in collaboration with the Joint Administrators (Geoff Rowley and Jason Baker of FRP Advisory LLP), Racing Point UK Limited and Formula One Management to ensure the expedient and compliant transition of the team’s assets to the new entrant. This successful process has protected motor sport competition at the highest level, as well as the jobs of over 400 employees.

Following a disciplinary investigation and prosecution by the FIA under Article 4 of the FIA’s Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, the Sahara Force India F1 Team has accepted its exclusion from the 2018 FIA Formula One World Championship with immediate effect, due to its incapacity to comply with Article 8.2 of the Sporting Regulations moving forward, and forfeits all Constructors Championship points under Article 6.2.

The Joint Administrators of Force India Formula One Team Limited have completed the sale of the business and its assets to Racing Point UK Limited, the investment consortium led by Lawrence Stroll and the team’s senior management.

FIA President Jean Todt said: “I am very pleased that a strong, positive outcome has been reached and welcome the mid-season entry of Racing Point Force India. Creating an environment of financial stability in Formula One is one of the key challenges faced by the sport, however thanks to the hard work of the FIA, the Joint Administrators, Racing Point and Formula One Management we have a situation now that safeguards the future for all of the highly-talented employees, and will maintain the fair and regulated championship competition for the second half of the season.”

Formula 1 Chairman and CEO Chase Carey said: “We are very pleased that the situation around Racing Point Force India has been resolved and that the team will continue to race in Formula 1. It is also very gratifying that in partnership with the stakeholders involved we have been able to safeguard the livelihoods of the many hundreds of people working at its Silverstone base. It’s enormously important that we have a full grid of competitive, capable teams in Formula 1 and we are confident that Racing Point Force India will go from strength to strength in the future.”

Joint Administrator Geoff Rowley said: “This has been a complex process, but as a result of following a detailed and thorough procedure we have achieved a successful outcome. Under its new ownership, the team will now be able to operate to its full potential and its future is secured.”

Racing Point Force India today welcomed the FIA’s decision, which enables the team to race this weekend at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Team Principal and Chief Executive Officer of Racing Point UK Limited, Otmar Szafnauer, said: “The new Racing Point Force India Team is delighted to be able to race when the championship resumes in Belgium this weekend. This heralds a new and exciting chapter for us. Just a few weeks ago, an uncertain future lay ahead, with more than 400 jobs at risk; now the new team has the backing of a consortium of investors, led by Lawrence Stroll, who believe in us as a team, in our expertise and in our potential to achieve success on the track. We are grateful to the FIA, the Joint Administrators and Formula One Management for their support in helping us achieve such a welcome outcome and ultimately, we trust, for the sport and its many fans.”

FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM RENAMED, STRIPPED OF POINTS

DlRo7rLXsAI7vAI.jpg

The Force India Formula One team will race in this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix as a new midseason entry stripped of 2018 constructors’ championship points, the FIA governing body confirmed on Thursday.

The drivers, Mexican Sergio Perez and Frenchman Esteban Ocon, will keep their points. The new entry, owned by a consortium led by Canadian Lawrence Stroll, will be called Racing Point Force India.

Statement:

Racing Point Force India F1 Team will make its debut at this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix following the acquisition of the Force India Formula One Team by Racing Point UK Limited. The new ownership was finalised on Thursday 16th of August with a consortium of investors led by Lawrence Stroll agreeing terms to secure the future of the team.

The investors are Canadian entrepreneur Andre Desmarais, Jonathan Dudman of Monaco Sports and Management, fashion business leader John Idol, telecommunications investor John McCaw Jr, financial expert Michael de Picciotto, businessman Lawrence Stroll and his business partner Silas Chou.

Racing Point UK Limited has appointed Otmar Szafnauer as Team Principal and CEO with immediate effect. Otmar has been with Force India since 2010 as Chief Operating Officer and has played a pivotal role in the team’s progress up the grid.

The team’s Deputy Team Principal, Robert Fernley, will stand down from his role. The remainder of the senior management team remains unchanged.

For the rest of the 2018 season the cars will compete as Racing Point Force India F1 Team in pink, white and blue.

Lawrence Stroll: “On Monday I stood in front of the workforce at Silverstone and Brackley and applauded the achievements of this team in recent years. The strength of any company is the people that make it up and it’s a huge privilege to begin this exciting new journey with such a talented group of men and women. I’ve been fortunate to establish and grow a number of successful businesses, but the opportunity to take this team forward to the next level is perhaps the most exciting challenge yet. Together with my fellow shareholders, we will invest in new resources and bring fresh energy to empower the workforce to continue racing at the very highest level. We are all passionate about motor racing; we recognise the racers’ spirit in Force India, and we are extremely motivated to make this team even more special in the years ahead.”

Otmar Szafnauer, Team Principal and CEO: “As we return from the summer break and prepare for the upcoming Belgian Grand Prix, I want to thank all the staff for their resolve and loyalty during the period of transition. Now that we are under new ownership and the future of the team is secure, we can focus on doing what we do best – going racing. We have a great management team in place and this stability will be extremely valuable as we begin the new era. I would like to thank Bob Fernley for his contribution to the success of this team over the last ten years and recognise the support of the previous shareholders for making Force India what it is today.”

STROLL: WE’LL SEE WHAT MY FATHER DECIDES TO DO

lawrence-stroll.jpg

Lance Stroll has revealed that anything can happen between now and the end of the year, as his father completes a complex takeover of Force India F1 team which was put under administration late last month.

The purchase came in the wake of young Stroll’s unsatisfactory season with underperforming Williams. His billionaire father has led a consortium to save the Silverstone based Formula 1 team with the goal to provide a more competitive environment for his son.

When asked about his future, by reporters at Spa-Francorchamps, the Canadian teenager said, “For the moment, I am here at Williams. I am not sure what I will be doing in the future. We’ll see what my father decides to do.”

“He’s a nice guy, I’ll hope he takes me,” joked Stroll.

The option of the 19-year-old leaving Williams before the season ends to take up a seat with Force India was put to him, to which he replied, “Nothing’s guaranteed, but right now, I’m going to be just focused on this weekend and I’m going to give it my all like I always do and we’ll see what the future holds.”

“Right now, I’m going to be just taking it weekend by weekend and we’ll see what happens. I’m committed to Williams, I have a contract with Williams. We’ve achieved some good success in the past, last year, so right now I’m going to try and beat them [Force India].”

Asked if his father has kept him in the loop with regards to the deal, Stroll junior said, “No. He has done his due diligence and he sees that they currently punch above their weight. They do a really good job with what they have so he sees a lot of opportunity and a lot of potential.”

“They are in a very difficult position and he believes he can help grow the company and make them as competitive as they can be. At the moment I am at Williams and we will see what happens with me in the future.”

“I wish him all the best with Force India, it is definitely a very exciting future for him, but I am just focused on this weekend and what I am doing the rest of the year,” added Stroll somewhat cryptically.

ALONSO: YES, RED BULL ASKED ME TO REPLACE RICCIARDO

FernandoAlonsoSpanishF1GrandPrixPreviewsHayaqAJrgDxx-001.jpg

Fernando Alonso has stirred the pot by claiming he turned down an offer from Red Bull recently to replace Daniel Ricciardo who shocked the establishment by accepting an offer to join Renault on a two-year deal.

Red Bull indicated early on that Alonso was not in the running for the coveted seat, with team chief Christian Horner claiming that the Spaniard tends to cause chaos wherever he drives.

But now, according to Alonso Red Bull made him an offer to take Ricciardo’s place alongside Max Verstappen, which he alleges he turned down intent on ending his Formula 1 career at the Abu Dhabi season finale this year.

In a paddock interview with Sky ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix, Alonso revealed, “I have had an offer from one of the top three teams a couple of times this year, but it was not a case for me to join that adventure.”

Asked if it was Red Bull who offered him the drive to replace Ricciardo, Alonso replied: “Yes.”

Instead, the double F1 World Champion is sticking to his decision to quit F1 and explore other racing opportunities, “At the moment for me Formula 1 is not giving me probably the challenges I am looking for at the moment.”

“Outside of Formula 1, I am discovering different series in motorsport that gives you different challenges and maybe makes you a more complete driver. That’s what I will try and find in 2019,” added Alonso.

HAMILTON: ALONSO THE GREATEST DRIVER I’VE DRIVEN AGAINST

LewisHamiltonF1GrandPrixAustraliaPreviewsvRYNvXSVsqox.jpg

Four times Formula 1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton paid retiring Fernando Alonso the ultimate tribute, claiming that the man from Oviedo is the greatest driver he has raced against during his time at the pinnacle of the sport.

Hamilton and Alonso were teammates for a single year, the Spaniard a double world champion at the time and Hamilton the eager rookie. It was a fractious relationship that almost destroyed McLaren and their internal battle certainly cost either driver a world title in 2007.

Over a decade since then, the pair have mellowed over the years and now that the Spaniard is ending his F1 career respect has clearly grown between the two once bitter rivals.

Speaking to reporters ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend, Hamilton said of Alonso, “He’s been one of the greatest drivers and, for me, arguably the greatest driver I’ve driven against. I wish him all the best moving on.”

“I would say it is a shame that he’s not as decorated as his ability, but sport is a very interesting machine and it’s not just about being a great driver it’s also how you manoeuvre, how you play the game.”

“Like a chess game, it’s how you position yourself – all these different things that also are a part of the package. Seventeen seasons is a lot and I have huge respect for that because it’s not easy.”

“You look at all the other drivers who have gone that kind of stint, like Jenson, it’s a long time. Like Kobe Bryant [in basketball] staying within a sport for such a long period of time, it’s a lot of commitment.”

“A lot of time and dedication that people might not understand or appreciate, but naturally as I’m in the sport I can appreciate it,” explained Hamilton.

Valtteri Bottas braced for Belgian GP grid demotion

jm1829jy277.jpg

Valtteri Bottas says Mercedes will decide on Friday morning whether to take on a fresh engine, which would trigger a substantial grid penalty for the Belgian Grand Prix.

Under Formula 1 regulations drivers are limited to three Internal Combustion Engines, Turbochargers and MGU-Hs, and two MGU-Ks, Energy Stores and Control Electronics per season.

Bottas has already reached the limit of each respective component, meaning that a first breach of the regulations will result in a 10-place grid penalty.

Should any penalty exceed 15 places than a driver is automatically sent to the back of the grid.

“Tomorrow morning we’re going to know 100 per cent which engine we’re going to start and then we’ll see,” said Bottas.

“If I need to take a new engine there is going to be a penalty.

“In any case Spa would be one of the best places to take it as it is a track where you could overtake.”

Should Bottas be slapped with a grid demotion then he is likely to be joined at the rear of the field by Renault’s Nico Hulkenberg, who has also reached his season allocation.

“Probably,” said Hulkenberg on whether he would be relegated to the back. “I think it’s a bit TBC, the engine guys are looking into that stuff still. There might be something.”

Esteban Ocon relaxed over future, plays down rumours

jm1829jy476.jpg

Esteban Ocon says he is not worried over his future in Formula 1, amid the ongoing uncertainty regarding the driver line-ups of several midfield teams.

Ocon made his Formula 1 debut in Belgium two years ago and saw out the 2016 season with Manor before joining Force India, emerging as a regular points scorer.

Mercedes-backed Ocon had been expected to line up alongside Nico Hulkenberg at Renault next year, but the manufacturer swooped to prise away Daniel Ricciardo from Red Bull.

Ocon’s chances of remaining at Force India long-term appear slim, with Sergio Perez expected to stay and Lance Stroll lined up on account of his father’s role in the recent acquisition of the team.

When asked of the missed Renault chance, Ocon said: “It was not a shock. We had possibilities there. In the end, it has passed and we have to move forward.

“I wish Daniel and Renault the best. He’s a good guy and I like him so I wish him the best.

“At the moment, I’m here with Force India and I’m looking forward to racing.

“I’m not worried [about my future], my management and Mercedes have been taking the right choices in the past years and I’m sure they will be able to do the same again.”

Ocon has been linked with a move to McLaren in place of Stoffel Vandoorne, a switch that could be triggered in the event of Stroll leaving Williams for Force India.

Speaking of that rumour, he said: “I don’t know if I’ll be moving to McLaren, I don’t know if I’ll be moving from here. At the moment, these are just rumours. We’ll see.

“What is important is to always perform on track. If you perform on track, a Formula 1 team can’t get rid of you if you perform.

“I want to do the same as what I have done in the first half of the season, trying to do the best I can.”

Verstappen questions Ricciardo's Renault move

Verstappen questions Ricciardo's Renault move

Daniel Ricciardo's Red Bull Formula 1 teammate Max Verstappen has expressed doubt over the Australian's surprise decision to sign with Renault for 2019.
Ricciardo was widely expected to remain at Red Bull alongside the Dutchman, but shocked F1 by putting pen to paper on a two-year deal with the French manufacturer's works outfit instead.

While Red Bull is a regular contender for grand prix wins and podiums, Renault has not troubled the top three since re-establishing a factory F1 team, although it has made steady progress.

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko stated that Ricciardo would find it “difficult” to feature at the sharp end with Renault, and Verstappen has now offered a similar take when asked about the move ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix.

“I think everyone was surprised, at the end of the day he has to feel good about the decision, that is the most important,” Verstappen said.

“I think everybody has moments in their careers when you are frustrated or not happy with the current situation. I think everyone here wants to win races or win championship, but sometimes it is not like that.

“You have to be really be patient and work hard for it. Sometimes you need the whole package to come together.

“That is what Red Bull is working on at the moment, and I am confident that they can deliver a car which is capable of winning every race, we just need the whole package and we are working towards that.

“That is why it was also a bit of a surprise for me that he left. A change of scenery? I am not sure it [Renault] is the best scenery to go to.”

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing, arrives in the paddock in good spirits

Speaking about a potential move to a midfield team like Renault back in June, Ricciardo said it would have “some appeal” but wasn't “top of my list” - as getting his hands on a championship-calibre car was a priority.

But despite admitting a Renault title bid next year was not realistic, the Australian says he was convinced by the “really good signs” he saw in the team's pitch to him.

“Obviously next year, being realistic it [a championship challenge] is unlikely,” he said. “Mercedes and Ferrari are the ones doing it consistently. We [Red Bull] have been able to win some races this year but in terms of really fighting for a championship it’s hard to deny Mercedes and Ferrari, looking at next year.

“Their [Renault's] short-to-medium-term plan looked really encouraging. What they’ve done in the last two years, the progress they’ve made, encouraged me and developments made at the factory and what they are doing with their finances, where they are spending and the way they are doing it, showed me they want to win and try to get there as soon as possible.

“Obviously every team wants to win and try to make it happen but I saw some really good signs with what they showed me in the presentation.

“Also their honesty, not saying they were going to win in Melbourne next year, as much as I’d like that.

“It’s still going to be a bit of a process but a process which is moving forward pretty rapidly.”

BELGIAN GRAND PRIX: VETTEL MAKES MOST OF FERRARI PACE

LewisHamiltonF1GrandPrixBelgium0sFgUgJBZ25x.jpg

Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari found the sweet spot around Spa-Francorchamps to claim victory at the Belgian Grand Prix on a sunny afternoon after dominating the race which was marred by a first-lap collision that in the end eliminated five drivers.

From pole position, Lewis Hamilton made a strong start as did Vettel who tucked his Ferrari under the rear wing of his Mercedes. The pair powered up the Kemmel straight towards Les Combes, side-by-side down the middle of the tarmac, on either side two Force India drivers with ambitions!

Vettel stayed ahead on the inside got the position from Hamilton who tucked in behind his title rival, with the two pink cars of Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon chasing.

As the field powered off the start line into the tight Turn 1 hairpin Hulkenberg messed up on the brakes, the Renault locked up. slammed the McLaren which was launched by the impact and flew over the Sauber of Leclerc, scraping over the halo in the process, causing extensive damage.

All three drivers climbed out of their wrecks unaided and a safety car period was initiated to recover the cars and clear the debris. Their race day was over.

Raikkonen suffered a puncture as well as damage in the incident and was forced to limp back to the pits where the Ferrari repaired the car and sent him out, but by the eighth lap they retired him.

In the Red Bull, Ricciardo also suffered damage which compromised his race and led to him pulling out of the race 20 laps later.

After the safety car period, Vettel kept control of the race, when Hamilton showed the hint of attack the German would respond. In the end, the contest for the lead petered-out as Hamilton clearly held station before the race hit the 40-lap mark.

On the day Ferrari was too good, their package showing an edge over what Mercedes drivers – Hamilton in particular – had at their disposal in race pace on the day.

Vettel said immediately after his fifth win of the season, “I had a great start, Lewis pushed me quite far to the left, but l knew l would have my chance at the top of the hill.

“Timing is crucial and l managed that perfectly, l thought. I had a good restart after the Safety Car and after that it was a very smooth race. It was a great weekend,” he added.

Hamilton kept Vettel in sight, hovering between three and four seconds behind the Ferrari. Mercedes tried the undercut but it did not work. When Vettel emerged ahead after his final stop in the run down to Eau Rouge, Hamilton was in his mirrors.

The leader toiled hard to extend the gap as it became clear that Mercedes did not have any more powder in their keg to mount a serious final attack. Although Hamilton still enjoys a 14 point lead over Vettel, the pendulum is swinging back towards the Reds.

Hamilton said of his afternoon, “We came here with a pretty good upgrade and, generally every time we do, they bring a bigger one. We knew they were quicker on the straights, particularly in qualifying in the last sector.

“We’ve known for the last four races that they’ve had some things on their car that’s enabled them to be quicker on the straights and we just need to work harder I guess. He was doing times I wasn’t able to do. It got to a point where it was just sensible to save the engine,” added the World Champion.

Max Verstappen enjoyed an incident-free albeit lonely run to third place for Red Bull, delighting the huge Orange Army that followed him to the Ardennes. Last year he only lasted seven laps…

But the Dutchman acknowledged he had little to sweat about during the 44-lap race, “It was a little boring, especially after the first 10-12 laps. Initially, it was a bit chaotic but we stayed out of trouble and did our own thing and got on the podium.”

“Before in Spa we have been unlucky, and it happens sometimes but I’m very happy with today,” added Verstappen.

Valtteri Bottas did the most overtaking in an otherwise, barring the first lap melee, a mundane albeit tense race. The Mercedes driver started 17th thanks to engine penalties, from there he made the most of his superior package to scythe his way through the field – his Silver Arrow in another class – to claim a well deserved fourth place and the fastest lap of the race.

A new era began at Force India on the eve of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend and they trumpeted it in with one of their finest weekends in memory, Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon making the occasion memorable by to claiming fourth and fifth respectively after starting from an all pink second row for the first time ever.

After losing all Force India scored points, the Racing Point owned outfit scored points in their “debut” and despite starting the day with zero points have already leapfrogged Sauber and Willaims in the standings.

The Haas boys kept out of the wars and brought home a valuable haul of points with Romain Grosjean in seventh and Kevin Magnussen eighth.

Pierre Gasly was ninth for Toro Rosso, again comprehensively outperforming teammate Brendon Hartley who finished 14th, second last of the cars still running at the end.

The final point went to Marcus Ericsson and Sauber, making up for the disappointment of losing a car early on in proceedings.

Final word to Ferrari team chief Maurizio Arrivabene, on a fine victory for his team at a most opportune time, “Today finally it was not cloudy so we were in the situation to express our potential.” It is a pity for Kimi, it was our mistake yesterday, when we make a mistake it is my mistake first.

“Today, we demonstrated that our car is stronger. It is a superclass driver and good to have racing like this. I’m looking forward to Monza and we will see,” added the Maranello boss with reference to next Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix on home turf for the Reds.

Report in progress…

2018-Belgian-Grand-Prix-Results-001.jpg

2018-Belgian-Grand-Prix-Results.jpg

HAMILTON: THEY’VE GOT A FEW TRICK THINGS GOING ON

LewisHamiltonF1GrandPrixBelgiumN2-tUHEACAfx.jpg

Reigning F1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton claims that Ferrari have found something special after he was comprehensively beaten by title rival Sebastian Vettel to the top step of the Belgian Grand Prix podium, the Mercedes driver the complaining that he was powerless to challenge for victory.

After the 44-lap race at the challenging and iconic Spa-Francorchamps Hamilton was clearly downbeat when he conceded, “They blitzed us today. Eleven seconds is a big, big gap.”

“I don’t know what we can do. I did everything I could but he drove past me like I wasn’t even there, He sailed past me on the straight.”

“He was doing times I wasn’t able to do. It got to a point where it was just sensible to save the engine,” added Hamilton confirming the contest was over long before the chequered flag waved on lap 44 of a race that started with a bang but ended in a stalemate at the front.

The Briton added, “They’ve got a few trick things going on in the car. I did what I could, we did what we could and we’ve just got to keep working.”

He clarified the use of the word “trick” which could be interpreted as suggesting Ferrari were bending the rules, but he clarified, “We all have trick things on our cars. Trick is just a word for something special, I guess.”

And Later added, “I’m not saying that there’s anything illegal on. I’m just saying we all have something trick. There’s probably something trick on…”

“Trick is just something that helps you bring that extra bit of performance. That’s all I mean. I don’t mean anything to it so please don’t read into it and please don’t twist my words and say that I say they’re doing anything illegal because they’re not.”

“We knew they were quicker on the straights, particularly in qualifying in the last sector. We’ve known for the last four races that they’ve had some things on their car that’s enabled them to be quicker on the straights and we just need to work harder I guess,” lamented Hamilton when interviewed by Sky.

“Minus seven points in the next eight races is going to be a lot points. I hope that’s not the case but if we do continue to have the lack of pace that we lacked today then we will continue to be minus seven points,” added Hamilton who leaves Spa on 231 points, 17 more than Vettel in second place in the standings.

On the bright side, Valtteri Bottas’ fourth-place coupled to Hamilton’s second place points haul, which means Mercedes extended their constructors’ championship lead by five points to 15. It was a DNF for Kimi Raikkonen in the other Ferrari.