FORMULA 1

Mercedes likely to stay in F1 after 2021, but "not a given"

Mercedes likely to stay in F1 after 2021, but "not a given"

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says that there are no guarantees the works teams will stay in Formula 1 after 2021, but all the indications are pointing to it remaining.
With discussions ongoing between Mercedes and F1 owners Liberty Media over new terms for a commercial rights deal, Wolff says that parent company Daimler is weighing up many aspects about its continued involvement as a team owner.

And amid some challenging times for car makers amid the move to electric cars, Wolff admits the decision-making process is complicated.

Speaking exclusively to Motorsport.com about what happens to Mercedes from 2021, Wolff said: "Everything indicates that we will stay. But it's not a given.

"We are in the middle of discussing the new Concorde Agreement. In connection with this - and independently of it - we are discussing the development of the automobile and its effects on sport."

Elaborating on what factors are at play when it comes to making the decision, Wolff said: "In which direction is the automotive world developing? In what form is Formula 1 relevant as an entertainment and technology platform? As a brand whose first car was a racing car, do we want to stay on this platform in the long term?

"There is the Ferrari model that says: 'We will do it forever. We build racing cars and we build road cars'. The other model is to say: 'We had a very successful run. There's nothing more to prove. We're doing something else now'. Both are absolutely plausible strategies."

While some have suggested that Mercedes' run of title successes could leave its chiefs thinking there is little more to gain from remaining in F1, Wolff sees it differently.

"If you do a survey today to see which Formula 1 teams are the most successful, most people will say Ferrari," he said. "That's simply because Ferrari has been at the forefront and competitive for 50 years.

"I think at a time when everything is so short-term, it's the sustainability of success that makes the strategy much more credible than fast in and out. Success can also fluctuate at times - it can also happen that you come third.

"Of course, as a brand used to success, you have to endure keeping your own expectations realistic and calibrating that you can't win every year. That's not easy. I have to start with myself: How can I endure that?"

With Mercedes having already put in place customer engine supply deals with McLaren, Racing Point and Williams from 2021, Wolff suggests Mercedes would be unlikely to continue to provide power units if it felt F1 no longer suited its purpose.

"We have four teams that we supply, including ourselves," he said. "You can be only pregnant or not pregnant, not half pregnant. So either we participate in the platform or we do not."

Pushed on the issue of staying as an engine supplier if its work teams quit, Wolff said: "I don't think anyone would decide that [to leave F1]. But if that were to happen, it [stopping customer supplies] would be a consequence."

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

Alexander Albon has proven he fully deserves Red Bull seat - Christian Horner

Alexander Albon on track

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner says Alexander Albon has proven that he “fully deserves” his renewal with the outfit into 2020, in the wake of his recent performances.

Albon stepped up to Formula 1 for 2019 with Toro Rosso but was drafted in to the senior team after the summer break as part of a seat swap with Pierre Gasly.

Albon has finished each race inside the top six since linking up with Red Bull, securing a best race result of fourth, achieved at the Japanese Grand Prix.

On Tuesday morning Red Bull confirmed that Albon has been given the nod to remain alongside Max Verstappen in 2020, with Gasly staying at Toro Rosso.

“Alex has performed extremely well since his debut with the team in Belgium and his results – seven finishes in the top-six – speak for themselves,” said Horner.

“It’s extremely hard to deny that level of consistency and in tandem with a growing reputation as a tenacious, fiercely committed racer, Alex has proved that he fully deserves to continue his progress with Red Bull.

“There is plenty of potential still to unlock and we look forward to seeing Alex alongside Max in 2020.”

Albon added that he is “really excited to be partnering Max again for next year and I know how fortunate I am to be given this opportunity.

“I’m hugely thankful that Red Bull have put their trust in me and believed in my results since I joined the team and for them to keep me in the car next year is a big deal.

“This year has been an incredible year for me and getting the call up to Red Bull mid-season was already a big step, so now I will use the learnings from this season and use the experience to improve and fight at the front in 2020.”

Why Red Bull have put their faith in Albon for 2020

image.jpg

Red Bull offered Alex Albon a job interview with a difference this summer. The Thai driver was promoted from Toro Rosso and had nine races to prove he had what it takes to keep the seat for 2020. On the back of today’s news, he only needed seven…

Red Bull are in a unique position whereby they have four drivers under contract and can spread them however they like across their two teams in F1. When they demoted Pierre Gasly back to Toro Rosso after just 12 races, in favour of Albon, it wasn’t the first time they'd made a seismic mid-season change – and is unlikely to be the last.

As the seats started to fill up for next season, Red Bull remained coy on their plans. Max Verstappen was safe, given he has a deal up until the end of 2020, but it was all to play for with regards the other three seats. Boss Christian Horner said they would recruit internally, ruling out Nico Hulkenberg as he was jettisoned from Renault. That meant it was a straight fight between Albon, Gasly and Danill Kvyat as their junior stable below F1 was looking thin with ready-to-go talent.

image.JPG

Albon was the favourite and the only one with his destiny in his own hands. Impress and the seat was his, no matter what the other two did. Disappoint and some serious head-scratching would be required at Red Bull HQ. It was clear Red Bull, who ordinarily would have liked to have their line-up sorted well before now, were pinning their hopes on him delivering.

Kvyat has looked decent this year, but his somewhat fortuitous podium in Germany has flattered his points tally. And when head-to-head with Gasly he has scored just seven points to the Frenchman’s 14. Gasly has looked reborn since returning to Toro Rosso. That infectious smile is back and he’s delivering on track too with points finishes in four out of seven races. However, it still would have been a gamble to take him back, given how he struggled to settle and get on the pace.

Albon, though, has done everything which has been asked of him since joining the team for the Belgian Grand Prix. Despite not having the benefit of pre-season testing in the RB15 or even the chance to shake down the car pre-weekend, he was impressive from the off and secured a brilliant fifth at Spa from 17th on the grid, having taken a host of grid penalties for engine component changes.

His qualifying has been his weak point in the subsequent six races, Albon yet to outpace his team mate Verstappen on a Saturday. But on Sunday, his consistency has been ruthless – something Gasly simply couldn’t deliver, but a facet that is a Red Bull requirement if they have serious designs on challenging for their first constructors’ championship since 2013 in 2020.

He has made mistakes, but crucially, he hasn’t allowed those to knock him off track. The way he has rebounded each time – and quickly – has played a key role in impressing his bosses.

In seven races, Albon has scored points in every single one. Even more impressively, he has outscored Verstappen – considered by most as a one of the best drivers on the grid and a future world champion - by 68 points to 54. Intriguingly, he does not seem fazed or intimidated by Verstappen’s aura – and that has allowed him to simply crack on.

Frankly, Red Bull couldn’t have hoped for more. Agreeing the deal for 2020, two races early, will be a huge boost to Albon’s confidence and also give the team some welcome stability. After five races, they were pretty sure he was their man – but they waited a further two before nailing it all down.

image.jpg

Talk to people inside the team and they will tell you Albon has been an absolute joy to work with. The engineers love him, not just because his feedback is second-to-none but also because he’s a quick driver, who always gives his all, and has a great sense of humour to boot.

Honda, too, have been immensely impressed by his efforts, particularly his eloquent feedback. He’s certainly shier than your average racing driver, but that makes him endearing and crucially, that trait disappears once he slams his visor shut and buckles himself into the cockpit.

Fame really isn’t of interest to him, he isn’t always on his phone flicking through social media to see how many followers he has or what messages he’s got. He’d rather just focus on the racing and winning, hang out with the guys in the garage or with his friends both on and off the track.

His honesty, it is understood, has been refreshing to Red Bull. Just like his fellow young drivers like Lando Norris and Charles Leclerc, who recently made the step up, Albon is not afraid to admit when he’s made a mistake, both publicly and privately. His desire for perfection is noble and he’s willing to put the hours in with the engineers. All this has become abundantly clear to Red Bull in just seven races.

So it’s no surprise Red Bull and Albon have signed on the dotted line, the 23-year-old delivering exactly what was required of him. That’s not job done, of course. And there’ll always be the threat of losing his seat, but that’s just the deal when you sign for Red Bull. If he can cope with that pressure – and continue to get better, Albon and Red Bull could well be onto a winner…

We can still push for fifth place – Racing Point

jm1903no883.jpg

Racing Point team boss Otmar Szafnauer is hopeful of maximising opportunities this and next weekend as he believes the team can still aim to finish fifth in the Constructors' Standings, whilst it remains mathematically possible.

Doing so would require a strong run of form twinned with two poor weekends for Renault, as Racing Point would need to outscore the French manufacturer by nine points at each of the remaining two races to go level on points.

Both teams have only failed to score once since the summer break, though Renault's run of points has been far less consistent than Racing Point's, with a haul of 22 points in Italy Renault's best weekend by some margin, which opened the gap between the two teams.

Szafnauer reckons this weekend's Brazilian GP presents a good opportunity to close that gap and bounce back from a difficult US GP weekend where Sergio Perez was forced to start from the back for a weighbridge transgression.

"Brazil presents us with another good opportunity to score points," he said. "The car has been working well across a range of different tracks and I’m confident we can be just as competitive this weekend.

"It’s hard to judge our performance at the last race in the USA because it was compromised by various factors, but there’s no doubt we didn’t show our true potential

"Overall, as we near the end of the season, I can say that I am pleased with our performance since the summer break.

"We’ve worked hard to improve the car and scored points in all but one of the last seven races. 

"The point we scored in America helped move us up to sixth place in the championship and mathematically we can still aim for fifth.

"There’s lots at stake and lots to fight for, so we need to maximise the opportunities this weekend."

Alfa Romeo keen for points return to show gains

Alfa Romeo F1 team in action

Alfa Romeo pair Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi have asserted that the team can challenge for points at this weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix, following a spate of subdued results.

Alfa Romeo spearheaded the midfield fight at stages earlier in the year but has been overhauled by opponents, most notably Racing Point, scoring just three points since the summer break.

As a consequence Alfa Romeo has lost ground with Toro Rosso and Racing Point in the standings and holds a distant eighth, seven points clear of Haas.

“This weekend’s race is another chance for us to score points,” said Raikkonen.

“There have been a lot of positives in our most recent performances and we feel we can now fight in the midfield once again.

“It would be nice to have some points to show for our progress at the end of the weekend.”

Alfa Romeo confirmed last week that Giovinazzi will remain part of its driver line-up into 2020 and the Italian is hoping to reward the team’s commitment by delivering a top 10 finish.

“I am really looking forward to racing in Interlagos,” he said. “It is a special track, one forever linked with Senna and with so much Formula 1 history.

“The renewal of my contract is a big confidence boost and I cannot wait to repay the faith the team has shown in me.

“We have made some big steps forward in the last few races and getting back into the points would be the right reward for all of our hard work.”

Why the 2021 'carousel' is poised to begin

Start of the Russian Grand Prix

What do Charles Leclerc, Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon have in common?

Aside from the last two's penchant for hitting each other while racing as Force India team-mates in 2017, they are the only three drivers with explicit contracts to race in Formula 1 in 2021.

And that is assuming their respective teams put pen to paper on the new Concorde Agreement (or its replacement).

Formula 1 has had a rather sedate silly season after the wild drama of 2018/19. Such a scenario was not entirely unexpected, given the swathe of changes 12 months ago, though there will still be a couple of new faces in new places.

As of now there is only the second Williams seat to decide. The list of candidates for that drive is small.

But the starting gun has already been fired for the 2021 machinations.

That is not entirely a surprise. When there is stability instability is always on the horizon. Teams start looking long-term to try and get pieces into place.

M218550_1_.jpg

Lewis Hamilton's relationship with Mercedes stretches back two decades

The first piece of the puzzle was 2020. The next segment was the finalisation of the 2021 regulations. There are still other matters to sort out. But coming soon to a paddock near you will be the first murmurs of potential moves.

Actually, that’s slightly disingenuous, because the silly season has already started.

It is only November, so why the look ahead to 2021 already?

Well, it has happened before that drivers have been locked down so early. Fernando Alonso’s McLaren move for 2007 was signed, sealed and delivered in December 2005, prior to his second title-winning campaign with Renault.

The recent tendency for MotoGP riders to hold two-year deals meant its 2019 silly season began unusually early. Maverick Vinales’ Yamaha extension was sorted in January 2018, Pramac recruited eventual Moto2 champion Pecco Bagnaia before he’d even turned a wheel that season, while Ducati’s boss opted to flick Jorge Lorenzo out of the 2019 equation after just five rounds of a 19-event season. Leading teams are already trying to put the first dominoes in place for 2021.

And back to F1. Last week in the United States Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff commented that he would do a “better job” in dealing with the future of Valtteri Bottas come 2020, after the Finn admitted mid-season uncertainty proved a “pain in the ass.” Wolff then added, unprompted, albeit with slight inaccuracy, that “in 2021 the door is wide open, no drivers are contracted to any team, that is super exciting. And I guess the driver carousel is going to start very soon.”

It came a few days after Lewis Hamilton gave the clearest indication yet that he intends to hang around in Formula 1 for 2021 – and beyond – and do so with his present employers, with whom he has been affiliated since his karting days.

jm1931oc71%20(Custom).jpg

Will Vettel sign on once more with Ferrari?

“I don’t see any reason to stop as I love what I do,” said Hamilton. “When there is a challenge, a whole new massive change in the regulations, that’s a huge change for me as a driver to help use the skills I’ve learned over the years to help navigate and steer the team in the right direction and going back to having those consistent seasons and punching out performances. I don’t see myself going anywhere else. I love being here at Mercedes, I love being part of the brand, I love being part of the history. I’m planning to be here so naturally at some point next year my mindset will be to switch into 2021 and wanting to be the pioneer in that era.”

As the six-time World Champion and comfortably the most marketable athlete in Formula 1 history Hamilton is the kingpin of the driver market. As in 2018 the majority of drivers are unlikely to commit until Hamilton’s future is sorted, even if it appears to be a case of dotting ‘i’s and crossing ‘t’s. Last time around that happened in May, an announcement on his 2019/20 deal followed in July, and the dominoes cascaded into place thereafter.

Should Hamilton renew with Mercedes then attention turns to other topics. Does Sebastian Vettel stick around beyond 2020? Does he do so with Ferrari? And what of Max Verstappen? Will he stay with Red Bull or could Mercedes come calling?

“I mean I really want to go one step at a time so we’ll see,” said Vettel recently. “We focus on the job this year, then obviously next year we have quite high ambitions to have a proper say in the fight for wins and ultimately the championship. Then we see from there."

jm1902au519%20(Custom).jpg

This could be Racing Point's pairing long into the 2020s

Beyond Hamilton and Vettel – and the confirmed Leclerc/Perez/Ocon – it would be remiss not to turn attention to Perez's current team-mate. We can assume that if both parties remain engaged, and this runs through both strands of the generational chain, then the Lance Stroll/Racing Point combination will continue its collaboration. Shocking indeed.

There nonetheless remains uncertainty that could affect the futures of leading participants. Honda has not yet committed beyond 2020. Renault is actively evaluating its F1 project amid a company-wide assessment. Manufacturer boardrooms do not ponder aspects with an F1 mindset. They will pull the plug if they want to. For F1’s sake let’s hope they keep everything plugged in.

There’s also the next generation of youngsters to keep in mind. The recent surge has, naturally, been followed by a relative dearth, but by 2021 there will likely be a smattering of new talents to consider. Red Bull, Ferrari, Renault and Honda are all grooming youngsters that could be on the brink of an F1 seat in 12 months’ time, albeit with the usual caveat that there are only a certain number of drives to go around.

F1 2019 hasn’t even finished but don’t be surprised if the major pieces of the 2021 driver jigsaw become key talking points a little earlier than usual...

Ricciardo says racecraft improved thanks to midfield fights

Ricciardo says racecraft improved thanks to midfield fights

Renault Formula 1 driver Daniel Ricciardo says he has honed his lap one racecraft through being involved in the fraught midfield battle with Renault in 2019.
Ricciardo explained that he has learned a lot this year because incidents are more likely when battling in the pack as he has with Renault this year than when with frontrunner Red Bull.

The Australian started in the top six for over two-thirds of the 100 grands prix he contested for Red Bull across the 2014-18 seasons, but has qualified in the top six just three times for Renault this year - and only once since June.

"It's tight and at times frustrating," he said of starting down the field. "Because a tenth puts you three or four spots back. When you get that tenth, it puts you three or four spots forward.

"And it feels like a real battle. I think most of the time the person who's best of the rest feels like they actually won something over the weekend. It's been good, it's been fun. The only thing that I wouldn't say sucks a little bit, but isn't as fun, is that you're more likely to get caught up in first lap incidents, being right in the middle.

"That's the only thing which is a little bit, I won't say out of your control, but you're put in that position a bit more often than I was in the last few years. But it's also allowed me to work on my lap-one racecraft.

"I think my racecraft in general and my overtaking through the race isn't bad, but my lap one stuff, now starting in the midfield, there have been times where I haven't made the best decision into Turn 1, and after the fact I'm 'I could have done that better'.

"So I'm learning, being in the midfield, and that's cool. I don't want to be here forever, but it's a new skill I'm learning a bit which I didn't have to do for the last few years."

Ricciardo said now he is no longer battling for wins or podiums he derives his satisfaction from knowing that he has done the best job with the car available.

The seven-time grand prix winner has earned 'best of the rest' honours behind the top three teams four times this year, including in the last race at Austin. Fourth at Monza is his best Renault result to date.

"It's really just about the outcome of the weekend. I'll always leave a racetrack happy and fulfilled if I know I've got everything out of it," Ricciardo explained.

"Yes, I won't lie, that is heightened by taking home a trophy or a bottle of champagne, but there's also been podiums I got where I wasn't actually completely satisfied with how I drove.

"So a podium isn't everything, but for sure if you've done the best you can, and you do take something home, that's better.

"The high will never be as high, and finishing fourth in Monza was a huge result, but I still wasn't standing on the podium. So I'm not going out and running around the streets naked!

"But as far as my personal fulfilment that's really meeting everything I need if I leave the race knowing I got everything out of it.

"It's probably just a bit of fame and TV time with a podium, but I think you know within yourself if you've got everything you can. It's enough for now, in the position I'm in."

FIA hopes F1 teams help police loopholes in 2021 rules

FIA hopes F1 teams help police loopholes in 2021 rules

The FIA is optimistic some Formula 1 teams will report any early loopholes in the 2021 technical regulations rather than exploit them, but not for "charitable" reasons.

F1's sweeping rule changes in just over one year's time will include a significant car overhaul, cutting back the complexity of wings, eliminating bargeboards and reviving an emphasis on ground-effect aerodynamics.

During the rule-making process, some people in charge of establishing the best way to stop teams manipulating wake performance started assessing the regulations from the point of team aerodynamicists.

Their purpose was to try to "break the rules", which FIA head of single seater technical matters Nikolas Tombazis believes contributed more "stress-testing" of this set of regulations than any before it and meant the FIA has already beefed up potential weak points in the regulations.

"That is one part of finding out," he told Motorsport.com. "We did identify two or three areas that were not well written or well controlled and we wrote better rules in the last few months."

Additionally, Tombazis believes more potential grey areas will be brought to the governing body's attention, and will be addressed, as teams divert resources to 2021 and "start developing in anger".

"Out of the teams a fair percentage, I wouldn't say all, will take the responsible view and if they see there is an inconsistency in the rules they will be interested to report it to us and to help us find a solution," said Tombazis.

"I don't know what that could turn out to be, and hopefully we've covered most of the ground. I'm not expecting teams to do it out of a charitable cause.

"The reason teams, depending on their attitude or whether they are risk-prone or not, will do that is because they have found some loophole, they know it is against the intention of the rule, and we have up until a certain point in time to adjust the rules and make corrections.

"They don't want to necessarily spend three months on something and have the carpet pulled under their feet and lose three months.

"So sometimes some teams discover [something] and before they start spending resource there they want to be sure that it won't be somehow banned or whatever."

Tombazis's faith in this process is strengthened because he said it existed and worked "reasonably well" with the new aero rules introduced this year.

It should reduce the prospect of a team finding an equivalent of the double-diffuser device that was key to the Brawn team its dominant start to the 2009 season after a significant rules change.

Tombazis's reference to spending resource is not a nod to an incoming cost cap – which are only in effect from 2021, and will not cover development work in 2020 – but instead relates to stronger aerodynamic testing restrictions.

This amounts to a reduction of windtunnel and CFD simulations.

While the number of hours of windtunnel occupancy will rise from 480 to 500 over an eight-week aerodynamic testing period, windtunnel runs will now be capped at 400, 80 fewer than the present maximum.

That cap will be lowered by a further 80 runs from 2022 to 2025.

The limit for work known as Wind On Time, which is when the wind tunnel air speed exceeds 15m/s, will also be halved to 100 hours per ATP, while the time and processing power allowed for CFD simulations will also be restricted further.

Vettel: Ferrari team orders this year nothing like Multi 21 storm

Vettel: Ferrari team orders this year nothing like Multi 21 storm

Sebastian Vettel believes dealing with Ferrari team orders in Formula 1 is different to Red Bull's Multi 21 controversy, but think drivers should still "stand up for yourself" if necessary.
Ferrari has openly tried to employ team orders on Vettel and his new teammate Charles Leclerc this season, with team boss Mattia Binotto repeatedly stating he believes Ferrari will benefit if it can control its drivers.

However, this has backfired on occasion, with the Russian Grand Prix providing the biggest flashpoint when Vettel passed Leclerc at the start but failed to give the place back afterwards, defying a pre-race team agreement and an instruction during the grand prix itself.

That drew comparisons with the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix, when Vettel ignored a Red Bull team order not to attack Webber and passed the Australian for the lead.

Vettel said that immediately after the Russian GP he did not believe he contravened what was agreed pre-race, but after reflecting on the incident and discussing it with the team later admitted what he did was incorrect.

On the topic of team orders, Vettel told Motorsport.com: "Inside the car it's sometimes difficult to know everything, because you cannot see everything. So it depends really the situation. And I don't think you can stereotype, say 'he was right, he was wrong'.

"Obviously if you look back with Mark it was a different situation, because we were working as a team together for many years, I don't think we worked really well together! And then the day came where I was asked to do something, and I never got any favour before, so why should I give a favour now?

"So, it was a bit of different situation, but in the end you look after yourself. You have to also stand up for yourself and [for] what you believe is right. Whether then afterwards you were still right or wrong, it is a different story."

Vettel said that a driver's ability to be selfish has dimmed compared to previous decades because F1 "has become more of a team sport".

However, he said that the need to put the team first has become even more apparent since he joined Ferrari in 2015.

"It is a difficult one, especially nowadays," said Vettel. "If you compare to the 70s, 80s, early 90s, then it was still like the driver was the main figure.

"You needed a team around you, but I think nowadays you carry much more responsibility for the people around you, the people behind you, supporting you, supporting the team.

"And especially with Ferrari. It is fair to say, that the team is bigger than anything else. Bigger than the driver."

Honda just wants "clean, fair" F1 engine battle

Honda just wants "clean, fair" F1 engine battle

Honda's Formula 1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe says he only wants a "fair" battle with rival engine manufacturers in the wake of suspicions over the legality of Ferrari's design.

Ferrari is under intense scrutiny from its rivals over systems thought to be responsible for the massive performance gain it has enjoyed in the second half of the season, and clarifications have been sought regarding whether any of these systems may contravene the rules.

Honda's main partner team Red Bull wrote to the FIA during the US Grand Prix weekend for clarification on three potential fuel-flow scenarios, an indicator of what the team thinks Ferrari might have been doing.

The FIA soon confirmed Red Bull's proposal was illegal as part of the current rules, while Ferrari maintains its engine is legal.

When asked by Motorsport.com if Honda welcomed the FIA's clarification, Tanabe said: "There are some ways to improve performance of the engine, and the chassis, using grey areas or techniques, fuel, oil burning – something like that.

"We are very keen to have a fair race under the FIA Formula 1 regulations, respecting the regulations. That's our desire. To have that clean, fair race, we need FIA policing.

"Maybe some teams, or some people, are thinking of something to improve performance, and we clarify whether it's OK and they say 'no', then we don't do it.

"Someone doing something like that, when they clearly said no, maybe they stop using that. Then we will have a clean race."

Tanabe admits the vast wording of the FIA's rules means it's "almost impossible" to have clarification for everything, but believes teams should simply ask the FIA to tidy up a grey areas.

"Yes, if someone thinks something is unclear maybe it's good to ask the FIA 'yes or no?'," he added.

"Get clarification, to go ahead of not. It helped our direction. There is a lot of wording in the regulations and specific items are described. It means it's almost impossible to clarify everything.

"It's good to clarify everything."

Commenting on the differences between Red Bull and Toro Rosso – with whom Honda was sole supplier last year – in terms pursuing FIA clarifications, he said: "Red Bull is very much about legality.

"They have a lot of experienced people there, like [chief engineer] Paul Monaghan. He keeps watching the legality and tries to make everything legal.

"It's slightly different from Toro Rossi. It's more strict on the Red Bull side."

Lewis Hamilton surprises Mercedes super-fans

Watch what happened when six Mercedes super-fans were invited to test drive the 'Lewis Hamilton Voice Assistant' on the new Bose Headphones 700..

Nico Hulkenberg to take time over future as F1 exit looms

Nico Hulkenberg portrait

Nico Hulkenberg says he will take time to consider his next career move in the wake of missing out on a seat on the 2020 Formula 1 grid.

Hulkenberg stepped up to Formula 1 in 2010 with Williams and has been ever-present since 2012, spending four seasons at Force India, either side of a stint with Sauber, before moving to Renault.

Hulkenberg’s three-year Renault deal expires at the end of 2019 and in August the manufacturer confirmed its recruitment of Esteban Ocon as Daniel Ricciardo’s 2020 team-mate.

Red Bull ruled Hulkenberg out of contention while potential openings at Haas and Alfa Romeo were closed when those teams retained Romain Grosjean and Antonio Giovinazzi respectively.

It left Williams as the last vacancy but a couple of weeks ago Hulkenberg effectively ruled himself out of the running, believing it was not the “right timing” for either party.

It is understood that one option open for Hulkenberg is an offer from Ed Carpenter Racing to drive its No. 20 car on the road and street courses in next year’s IndyCar championship.

But Hulkenberg – who has regularly ruled out racing on ovals – says he wants to take time to reflect and work out his options for 2020, rather than rush into any decision

“I haven’t signed nothing (sic) and I won’t do for the foreseeable future,” said Hulkenberg.

“I received several calls from different racing series, teams, but nothing is really happening at the moment.

“[IndyCar] I guess [is an option], on one side yes, but to be honest my state of mind is pretty relaxed.

“I want to finish [2019] as successful as possible, and then after that want to rewind a bit, and take a moment for myself, or two or three, see what I want to do, see what seems of interest.

“I’m certainly not having the feeling that I want to rush into something just to race. I’m pretty relaxed about it to be honest.”

Hulkenberg nonetheless stressed that his desire not to rush into any decision did not mean that his passion for motorsport had waned.

“I need to see once the new year starts how I feel and how things develop and evolve [and in] which direction,” he said. “Right now I don’t know.

“I’ve made mistakes [in Formula 1], I’ve done mistakes, like we all do sometimes, which I obviously would like to avoid, a few moves or things I would do differently now, but that’s always easy with hindsight.

“But all in all I’m at peace with that and what I’ve achieved… just to be clear I’m not retiring, not as a race driver, I don’t feel I’m leaving Formula 1. I might not be on the grid but if there is an opportunity [in the future] I’m going to be ready.”

Alexander Albon initially felt mid-season Red Bull call 'daunting prospect'

Alexander Albon portrait

Alexander Albon says he initially found the prospect of stepping up to Red Bull mid-season “daunting”, but quickly settled down, following confirmation of his 2020 seat.

Albon graduated to Formula 1 with Toro Rosso for 2019 but was drafted in to join Max Verstappen from the Belgian Grand Prix onwards, in place of the struggling Pierre Gasly.

Albon has secured a top six finish at each race, peaking with fourth in Japan, and earlier this week Red Bull confirmed Albon will stay at the senior team into 2020.

“It’s crazy really, I say [that] a lot, but I truly mean it when I say it,” said Albon.

“To get the call up originally after Hungary was quite a daunting prospect really, but I felt like I could do something, but to be honest the races that I’ve had I’ve been pretty happy with.

“Of course to get that final call to tell me I’m staying for next year feels really good, really good.”

Albon added that adapting to Red Bull was an easier prospect than stepping up to Toro Rosso from Formula 2, but still had questions in his mind prior to the Belgian Grand Prix.

“[I was thinking] ‘how am I going to do, how am I going to fare against the big boys’ and all that kind of thing.

“And it was the same kind of thought process before the season even started.

“But because I already went through it [pre-season], it felt a lot more comfortable the second time, in Spa, let’s say.

“It’s [the] kind of that thing, it’s always a lot of thinking, but once you step in the car, put the helmet on it all goes away and you focus on your driving and all that [external] stuff dissipates.”

Charles Leclerc backs Ferrari over engine change, 10-place penalty

Ferrari's Charles Leclerc

Charles Leclerc says taking the hit of a 10-place grid penalty is worth the trade-off of receiving a fresh power unit for the final two events in Brazil and Abu Dhabi.

Leclerc’s SF90 suffered an oil leak during the opening stages of third practice in Austin, and he was forced to revert to an older-specification engine for the rest of the weekend.

The engine was assessed at Ferrari’s Maranello base but the damage proved too extensive and Leclerc will take a fresh specification for the Brazilian Grand Prix.

It means Leclerc will drop 10 places on the grid from wherever he qualifies on Saturday.

“Obviously this weekend won’t be easy with the 10-place grid penalty but I believe it was the best opportunity for us for the rest of the championship,” he said.

“I will try to limit the damage as much as possible this weekend and try to do the best result possible.

“Then I’m pretty sure we will see the advantage of changing the engine in Abu Dhabi.”

Leclerc also confirmed that “the engine is exactly the same one as the one we’ve had issues with in Austin, so [there’s] nothing new on that,” amid suggestions that Ferrari was poised to run an early specification of its 2020 power unit.

“The phone call I had was basically that we are putting in the same engine spec as the one we’ve lost in Austin. I don’t think there was any discussion for this possibility.”

The penalty means Leclerc will start from 11th on the grid at best – barring sanctions for rivals – on Sunday, as he chases securing third in the standings.

“Overall I think it [the fresh engine] will be a plus,” he said.

“Whether it’s in qualifying or the race I think it will be pretty similar and there will be an advantage overall. I think there’s more to gain by changing the engine.

“With the older one we’ve seen also in Austin there was probably a little bit of it inside the result and I hope this will help us get more points.”

Sebastian Vettel 'doesn't care' about Ferrari engine doubters

Sebastian Vettel portrait

Sebastian Vettel says he “doesn’t care” for onlookers raising suspicions over Ferrari’s engine performance, in the wake of comments made in Austin.

Ferrari has had a straight-line speed advantage for much of 2019, most prominently in qualifying, and sealed six straight poles prior to the United States Grand Prix.

Prior to the event the FIA issued a technical directive clarifying a potential loophole regarding the electrical sensors monitoring fuel flow rate, which rivals believed partly explained Ferrari’s engine advantage.

Following the race in Austin, in which Ferrari finished an off-the-pace fourth with Charles Leclerc, Max Verstappen made a direct link to their performance, prompting an angry response from Ferrari.

Ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix, Vettel explained that “On top of the fact that we have a performing engine, we also have a car that I think is very efficient.

“Maybe to some, in comparison to Mercedes and Red Bull, they have more downforce than us but maybe they created [it] in a bit dirtier way so you can always argue what is the better package but yeah, I think it’s a good sign.

“Should we have the strongest engine, which I don’t know the other manufacturers' power figures, that’s a great achievement by us, by our engine department.

“For the last five years we had Mercedes having the strongest engine. But since now for a couple of months we are ahead, then hopefully it stays like that for the next five years and I don’t care what people think or say.

“The best way to answer [critics] in a way is to probably go back to normal.

“We are not proud of how we performed in Austin on Sunday. After Saturday, nobody had the need to complain.

“Sunday I think we struggled probably with more than one thing, conditions, tyres, setup, which are things we need to work on. But calling it that far I think is not right. But again, live and let live.

“If that’s what he [Verstappen] thinks, that’s what he thinks. If next week he thinks something different, then in the end we don’t care so much.”

Leclerc used an older-specification engine in Austin, following an FP3 failure, while Vettel’s race lasted just eight laps due to a suspension failure.

Vettel explained that Ferrari believes his sudden failure was caused by “the bump, so by the track.

“Obviously we’ve been racing around the track the whole weekend but I think in the race it was just - I think probably we got lucky before that we didn’t see any damage, so unlucky in the race with that one lap, or one spike, it looked like it was too much.”

Valtteri Bottas has 'plan' in mind to end Lewis Hamilton's title streak

Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton

Valtteri Bottas says he has “a plan” in mind in order to defeat Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton in 2020, but dismissed the idea of using psychological tactics.

Bottas has secured the runner-up spot in this year’s championship, with four wins, but trails Hamilton by 67 points, who wrapped up the title at the US Grand Prix.

Hamilton’s title is his third in a row and fifth in six years, with his only defeat in the hybrid era coming in 2016, when then team-mate Nico Rosberg edged him to the crown, before retiring days later.

Bottas, who replaced Rosberg at Mercedes, shot down suggestions of resorting to mind games – saying being repeatedly told to use the approach “bored” him – and insisted he is working on the right approach for 2020.

“For sure I’ll always have plans of finding different ways of how I want to achieve my goal, which is to win the championship,” said Bottas on Thursday.

“That requires beating my team-mate and also other drivers.

“I will always prefer to do the talking on track. If I can focus on my performance and keep all the energy that I have into my own performance I think that is going to be the best bet for me.

“If I start wasting energy elsewhere it might take my mind off the driving and what really matters.

“If I can perform at the level I want to then normally that tends to upset the other side of the garage a little bit.

“I know from being on the other side of that as well that it can lead you to mistakes and so on. So I have a plan for next year but I’m not willing to share it, so we’ll find out.”

Bottas’ 2019 campaign has been his best in Formula 1, with the runner-up spot and a quartet of wins exceeding 2017, when he claimed three victories en route to third overall.

Bottas nonetheless stressed that it was “still not the season I’m aiming for.

“I still need a bit more consistency and fewer mistakes but it gives a good feeling and confidence for the future.

“I’m now really starting to see the work that we’ve been doing with the engineers and what I’ve been doing with myself and driving-wise.

“I’ve really been able to target many of the weaknesses that I’ve had and been able to improve my pace in different circumstances quite a lot, so that’s very satisfying to see. It makes you want more.”

Preview: Talking points ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton at the Brazilian Grand Prix

It’s time for Formula 1 to make the long trip to South America for the penultimate round of the 2019 season: the Brazilian Grand Prix. Motorsport Week takes a look at the key talking points ahead of the event.

Who can carry the momentum through 2020?

It has been coming for some time but both Formula 1 titles are now mathematically done and dusted: Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes have their respective sixth crowns and can book their suits and ties for the FIA Gala in December. But there are still two events to come, and their outcome is important. Anything learned this season can be carried through to 2020 while the importance of momentum and strong morale cannot be underestimated. In 2015 Hamilton accepted he took his eye off the ball and it gave Nico Rosberg a boost after a lacklustre season, after which he went on to take the 2016 crown. Last season Hamilton remained fully committed and rounded out the season with back-to-back wins. There are still records to chase – Hamilton can break his own points record – while Mercedes will be eager not to relent and thus give their opponents a slither of hope heading into next season.

How fast will Ferrari be?

Drawing definitive conclusions from a small sample set is not a wise idea. It is why pre-season testing can often be misleading. It is the same at a race weekend. Ferrari was nowhere near as potent along the straights in Austin as it had been at previous grands prix. It led to aspersions from some opponents that a recently-issued technical directive had nullified its prospects and, in effect, prevented it from cheating. Given the evidence they went looking for the holes. If you convince yourself something is true then it is far easier to see what you wish to see. Ferrari resolutely defended itself and if you argue the case for the defence then their evidence, at this stage, is far more compelling. Ferrari suffered a perfect storm in Austin. Leclerc’s problem at that event also means he will start from towards the rear of the grid, taking on a new power unit, meaning that gathering further evidence either pro or against Ferrari will be even tougher…

jm1901no268%20(Custom).jpg

Can Brazil deliver another dead rubber?

Sometimes in Formula 1 you have to feel a little sorry for event organisers. Interlagos is steeped in history, iconic moments, and is atmospheric courtesy of the passion of the crowd, who flock from all over South America to cheer on their favourites. But for the fourth time in five years Formula 1 rocks up at Interlagos with nothing left to play for at the front of the grid. That aside, Interlagos can still provide enthralling grands prix. Last season Max Verstappen surged to the front with a sequence of bold overtaking manoeuvres, but undid all his hard work via an unseemly clash with the lapped Esteban Ocon, paving the way for Hamilton to triumph. Just because it’s a dead rubber doesn’t mean it isn’t worth watching – and for all of the midfield teams and beyond it is simply business as usual anyway.

What next for the future of F1 and Brazil?

Formula 1’s relationship with Brazil is at the weakest it has been for decades. It still has an enormous and lucrative television audience. But the future of its grand prix is up in the air while representation remains questionable. Interlagos’ current contract expires at the end of 2020 and the promoter’s previously close relationship with Bernie Ecclestone has not sat well with Liberty Media, who have publicly and vocally pointed out the expensive nature of the event for teams and organisers. Plans are afoot to move the event to Rio de Janeiro from 2021 at the yet-to-be-constructed Rio Motorsports Park – in the Deodoro district – which has already penned a five-year MotoGP deal from 2022. Brazil has now been without an F1 driver since Felipe Massa’s exit at the end of 2017 and there’s few standout options in the junior ranks to suggest the dearth will conclude any time soon. Neither McLaren tester Sergio Sette Camara nor Haas reserve Pietro Fittipaldi – who have tested F1 machinery this year – are likely to make the grid, while of Renault’s youngsters Caio Collet is the standout, but it is too early to determine his trajectory.

jm1811no169(1).jpg

How will F1 tackle its 2030 target?

This is not necessarily a Brazil-specific point but Tuesday’s announcement of its 2030 carbon footprint target was well-received, and shows Formula 1’s desire to be at the pinnacle of changes and developments. But it also highlighted a problem. Formula 1 grands prix are responsible for just eight per cent of its carbon footprint, while the on-track action carries just 0.7 per cent of the overall figure, thanks to the astonishing hybrid power units. But how does Formula 1 tackle the other 92 per cent? A huge portion of its carbon footprint surrounds the travel and logistics involved in transporting the sport around the globe. It is not an F1-unique problem. Lots of sports are global enterprises meaning long-distance travel is a necessity. But can F1 marry its sustainability drive with its commercial desire to expand the calendar to upwards of 25 events? That is a big issue that has not yet been addressed.

Insight: Brazilian Grand Prix - form guide

Lewis Hamilton in Brazil

The title is done and dusted, even the runner-up spot is sealed, but there’s still a race victory to contend for. Motorsport Week glances through history at the form guide for the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Wins

Brazil joined the calendar as a world championship round in 1972 and the majority of the grands prix have taken place at Interlagos – which loosely translates as ‘between the lakes’.

Of the current grid Sebastian Vettel has taken the most victories at the venue, triumphing for Red Bull in his title-winning campaigns in 2010 and 2013, before adding another win for Ferrari in 2017.

World Champion Lewis Hamilton has a mixed record at Interlagos and took until 2016 to register a win – achieved in atrocious weather conditions – and secured success in the dry 12 months ago.

Both Vettel and Hamilton have sealed world titles at Interlagos in frantic grands prix, with the Ferrari driver taking his third championship in 2012, four years after Hamilton’s last-gasp maiden success.

Alfa Romeo’s Kimi Raikkonen savoured victory at Interlagos back in 2007 – a win that secured him the title at the season finale.

Both Vettel and Hamilton nonetheless have some way to go if they are to get near a new benchmark – Alain Prost took six wins in Brazil during his distinguished career.

Poles

Hamilton turns the tables on Vettel in this category with three poles to two.

Hamilton claimed top spot for his McLaren swansong in 2012 and also set the quickest time in qualifying in 2016 and 2018.

Vettel’s one-lap wonders came in 2011 and 2013, while two other drivers have clocked the best time in Q3 at Interlagos.

Valtteri Bottas was on form in 2017 while in 2010 rookie Nico Hulkenberg memorably set the fastest lap in a damp qualifying session to take a shock pole position for Williams.

Podiums

Raikkonen leads the way among the current contingent with seven podiums – adding a trio of seconds and trio of thirds to his 2007 victory.

Vettel and Hamilton both have five Interlagos rostrums to their name while Red Bull’s Max Verstappen took home third in 2016 and second last year, a race that he stood a strong chance of winning until a clash with the lapped Esteban Ocon.

Robert Kubica (with BMW in 2009) and Bottas, in 2017, have also finished in the top three at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

FIA asks for teams' oil details in latest engine saga twist

FIA asks for teams' oil details in latest engine saga twist

Formula 1 teams have been asked to supply information about the use of lubricants in their engines, the latest move to ensure oil is not being burned for performance gains.
Ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix weekend, the governing body has issued a technical directive reiterating previous instructions that outlaw burning oil to improve performance.

It has also requested every team sends details such as the designation, specification and quantity of lubricants in their engines.

This will give the FIA a reference should it undertake any checks related to lubricant use in the future.

The FIA has not targeted any specific manufacturer or team with this request, which is why every competitor has been asked to supply information.

However, it comes amid rival teams scrutinising Ferrari and its qualifying performance advantage since the summer break.

As reported by Motorsport.com, the FIA was approached by at least one team several weeks ago, as Ferrari's rivals sought clarification over the legality of practices they thought might be behind the Italian team gaining a power boost in qualifying.

One theory was that a leak from the intercooler, in which Ferrari uses oil unlike its competitors, would allow a small amount of oil vapour to become part of the engine's combustion process.

F1's technical regulations issued by the FIA states that cooling systems must not "intentionally make use of the latent heat of vaporisation of any fluid with the exception of fuel for the normal purpose of combustion in the engine".

The FIA has received multiple requests about certain engine designs and practices that may be illegal as teams attempt to clarify what is and is not allowed.

This is the second technical directive issued in as many races.

Ahead of the previous grand prix in the United States, the FIA told teams that specific efforts to exploit fuel-flow regulations would be illegal.

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen was outspoken following the United States GP, and angered Ferrari when he said Ferrari's drop in performance there was a direct result of the FIA's fuel-flow directive.

On Thursday in Brazil, Verstappen welcomed the FIA's latest clampdown as well and emphasised that teams now know what is legal.

Asked by Motorsport.com if he was pleased to see the FIA issue these technical directives, Verstappen said: "Yeah, it's good.

"The FIA is definitely on top of it and it's now very clear for everyone what's allowed and what's not allowed. In general, it's always good that the FIA is on top of everything.

"But it's very complex regulations with everything. So it's not the easiest job to be on top of everything straight away, because it's a lot of rules."

Vettel: Verstappen claims were "not professional or mature"

Vettel: Verstappen claims were "not professional or mature"

Sebastian Vettel says his Ferrari Formula 1 team can respond on-track at this Brazilian Grand Prix to Red Bull driver Max Verstappen's "not professional or mature" comments.
After the US GP, Verstappen referenced the Italian team’s drop-off in form that coincided with an FIA technical directive on fuel flow, noting that it was “what happens when you stop cheating".

“Well I think it is a sign of our times that a lot of people have something to say,” said Vettel when quizzed at Interlagos on Verstappen’s comments. “I think the big difference to the past is a lot of people are being heard, whereas maybe before they were being ignored.

“Everybody is free to say what they want, and if that’s what he thinks, and that’s what he may think, but obviously we have a different opinion.”

Pressed on what he thought about Verstappen effectively accusing Ferrari of cheating, Vettel was more expansive.

“As I said, everybody is free to say what they want. I don’t think anybody in the team took it personal. I think it is not professional or mature, but I can also see that you [the media] are probably interested in me answering back, and I don’t have much interest in that, other to say than for us, the best way to answer is to go back to normal.

“We are not proud of how we performed in Austin on Sunday, after Saturday nobody had the need to complain. Sunday we probably struggled with more than one thing, conditions, tyres, set-up, which are things we need to work [on].

“But again, live and let live, so if that’s what he thinks, that’s what he thinks. If next week he thinks something different, in the end, we don’t care so much.”

Vettel insisted that Ferrari’s straightline performance in Austin wasn’t due to a drop-off in power subsequent to the technical directive.

“No, we didn’t lose any power in the engine. I think we opted to run a bit more downforce than other people. In quali, the comparison was quite clear that we gained a little bit on the straights, not as much as usual, but we didn’t lose as much as usual in the corners, obviously they go hand-in-hand.

“Obviously I wasn’t taking part in much of the race, but for Charles [Leclerc] we didn’t have the pace that we normally have, but I know it is not for that reason. There are other things that made a difference and played a role which we are looking to understand.”

Vettel added that he doesn’t see Brazil as a specific opportunity to silence the critics with a strong performance.

“I don’t need to be, there is nothing to silence for me. But I guess it helps, I mean we want to win here and if we win one-two, I guess it would have a silencing effect as well on that front.

“So, maybe it is a nice side effect, but it is not our target is not to silence people, our target is to win races.”

Asked in Brazil if he had gone too far in his comments on Ferrari, Verstappen said: “I prefer not to comment on it. I think it’s much more important we look ahead and focus on the last two races, and just fight it out on track.”

No newer-spec ICE for Leclerc

Charles Leclerc, Ferrari SF90

Vettel's teammate Charles Leclerc will take a grid penalty in Brazil, with Ferrari having elected to install a replacement current-spec ICE in his car after a failure in practice at COTA left him with an older specification for qualifying and the race.

According to Leclerc, the penalty should be limited to only 10 places on the grid, with no plans to fit any other replacement components over the season limit besides the ICE.

"Obviously this weekend won’t be easy with the 10 places [of] grid penalty,” Leclerc  said. “But I believe this was the best opportunity for us for the rest of the championship, so [we'll] try to limit the damage as much as possible this weekend and try to do the best as possible, then we will see the advantages of changing the engine in Abu Dhabi.

“Overall I think it will be a plus, whether it will be in qualifying or the race. I think it’s pretty similar, but there will be an advantage overall.

“There is more to gain by changing the engine, with the older one, we have seen in Austin – it was not all of it, but there was probably a little bit of it inside the results – and I’m pretty sure this will help us to get results.”

Leclerc confirmed that the new V6 is of the same spec as its immediate predecessor, contrary to suggestions that Ferrari might take the opportunity to try out an upgrade with an eye on 2020.

“Basically the phone call I had was [that] we are putting the same engine spec as the one we’ve lost in Austin. I don’t think there was any discussion, at least not with me for this possibility.

“The engine is exactly the same one as the one we had issues with in Austin, so nothing new on that. It will only be a new one because the old one cannot be used anymore.”

The day Hakkinen “kicked Senna’s ass” at McLaren

The 1993 Portuguese Grand Prix was significant for a number of reasons – not least Alain Prost’s announcement that he was retiring from the sport, the day before he wrapped up his fourth world title. But it was a big weekend for a young Finn called Mika Hakkinen, too…

Hakkinen had sat out the majority of the season on the sidelines, thanks to Ayrton Senna’s late decision to take up a race-by-race deal with McLaren alongside Michael Andretti. Honda’s withdrawal had left the Brazilian unsure of the Ford V8-powered car’s potential, matched against the Williams-Renaults of Alain Prost and Damon Hill, but Senna then won three of the first six races of the season.

Williams dominated the next seven rounds, and with Andretti dropped after the Italian Grand Prix at Monza, despite a podium finish, Hakkinen was in for the final three rounds against Senna. 

Mika Hakkinen with Ron Dennis and Giorgio Ascanelli

In Friday’s first qualifying session at Estoril, Hakkinen announced his arrival by lapping 0.002s slower than Senna, then trumped that by beating the three-time champion by 0.048s on Saturday.

Had the Finn caught the three-time champion by surprise?

“A surprise? Definitely!” Mika chuckles today. “I felt the winter testing went alright for him, and as you’d expect it’s cold then, so the tyres are quite happy, you don’t overheat them so easily.

“Ayrton set quick laptimes, and I think he felt comfortable and said ‘OK McLaren, let’s go for it’ – and once the season started that was true, although Michael Andretti was not looking so good because of accidents that happened to him. 

Mika Hakkinen in his first race for McLaren Ford

“After some races, the feeling was that the car wasn’t actually that quick, Ayrton was losing a lot of time to Alain Prost, and all the time he was half a second, or one second, behind Alain. He lost quite a lot of motivation.

“Before Estoril, I felt that Ayrton wasn’t maximising his performance, and of course his teammate hadn’t been pushing him either, certainly not to the maximum. So then I came next to him in Estoril – and I kicked his ass!”

Senna quickly came to realise that his dashing new teammate would be no pushover, and even shunted heavily in the raceday warm-up session.

Mika Hakkinen battles with Jean Alesi

Hakkinen himself would crash out of his first race for McLaren but not before outdragging Prost’s Williams off the startline and duelling for the lead with Ferrari’s Jean Alesi. Senna quickly made a decisive move to outbrake Hakkinen to chase after the rapid Alesi, but neither McLaren would finish – on top of Hakkinen’s shunt, Senna suffered an engine failure.

However, after that disappointment, Senna went on to win the final two races of the year…

“I think he woke up in a big way,” Hakkinen says of the great Brazilian. “There was this three-times world champion thinking ‘what the hell is this blond Finnish guy coming to kick my ass’ – you know!

“Then the fight really started. He started working very hard, he had an Italian engineer called Giorgio [Ascanelli] and they absolutely maximised the potential of the car – and I realised, right after the Estoril Grand Prix, just how amateur I was at that time, compared to Ayrton.

“He really started working hard and, of course, he made some great results in the last grands prix of the season. Even if we were close in laptimes, he was able to maximise his performance much better, he had such a great amount of experience.”

Ayrton Senna, McLaren leads Alain Prost, Williams; Michael Schumacher, Benetton; Damon Hill, Williams; Gerhard Berger, Ferrari; Mika Hakkinen McLaren and Jean Alesi, Ferrari

Having scored his early blow, Hakkinen was now the one being ‘schooled’ by Senna.

“Definitely,” he agrees. “You really need a good team around you. We both had McLaren around us, but he had his chief engineer, his data engineer, number one mechanic – and it’s the way you work, and in what areas technically in the car, that makes the difference. He focused very carefully, I could see that.

“You cannot have the car perfect in every corner, you need some compromises, but where you have them is crucial, and Ayrton was very good to do that. I learned a lot from him, like that, don’t compromise the car in a corner where you could gain a lot of laptime, just do it where you won’t lose so much time, and your driving talent can fix this. 

“You really need to motivate the team all the time. Remember when Ayrton joined McLaren, the car was the kick-ass machine! They were winning almost every race, they were fantastic. So for Ayrton to experience McLaren in a situation that was challenging, like ’93, but at the end of the day the car wasn’t that bad, it just wasn’t fantastic. 

“So I think when you’re in a time when it’s not fantastic, in a bad moment, that’s the day when you have to work even harder. Good engineers, good mechanics, you have to take care of them, you have to motivate them. If you don’t get the success, they feel as bad as I felt – terrible! So you have to be a team player, work really hard for your success.

“My opinion was that sometimes he didn’t support the people enough in the team at that time.”

Podium: race winner Ayrton Senna, McLaren, third place Mika Hakkinen, McLaren

Hakkinen would score the first Formula 1 podium of his burgeoning career next time out at Suzuka in Japan. How did that feel?

“Incredible,” he smiles at the memory, before quickly adding: “Of course I was delighted, but – sorry to use the bad language – I was also pissed off not to win! 

“It gave me a lot of confidence, and I felt good that I’d shown the team that I could do it.

“In the circumstances, I was very happy to be there, one of two McLaren drivers, and Alain of course. Standing next to these great champions on the podium, it motivated me.”

Mick Schumacher drives Ferrari F2002 at Fiorano, ahead of auction

Mick Schumacher, Ferrari F2002

F2 star Mick Schumacher has driven his father Michael’s Ferrari F2002 Formula 1 car ahead of its auction by RM Sotheby’s at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix later this month.
The championship-winning Ferrari – which won the 2002 San Marino, Austrian and French Grands Prix in Schumacher Snr’s hands – will headline a sale held in partnership with F1.

In this video (below), Schumacher Jr, the 2018 FIA European Formula 3 champion steps behind the wheel of chassis no. 219 for the very first time. The film draws parallels between father and son, now and then, as the Scuderia prepares both car and driver.

“Bringing together Mick and the F2002 was a special moment for everyone involved as well as an historic moment for both Formula 1 and Ferrari,” said Oliver Camelin, Car Specialist, RM Sotheby’s, following the track day. “To witness Michael’s son, in this incredible car, at the home of Scuderia Ferrari was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and truly underlined the significance of the F2002 to Michael and Ferrari’s racing legacy.”

The F2002 will be delivered to the new owner at Fiorano following an engine and transmission rebuild by Ferrari at the consignor’s expense (Est. $5,500,000 - $7,500,000). A portion of proceeds from the sale of the F2002 will benefit the Keep Fighting Foundation, a global nonprofit initiative founded by his family to continue Michael Schumacher’s charitable work.

The F2002 is joined at RM Sotheby’s Abu Dhabi sale by one of its predecessors, a 1982 Ferrari 126 C2 chassis no. 061, the sole surviving car of the seven original examples built (Est. $2,000,000 - $2,500,000).

Rounding out the vintage F1 cars offered in Abu Dhabi is a 1992 Benetton B192, chassis no. B192-06, piloted by then-newcomer Schumacher in the 1992 F1 World Championship. Schumacher drove this B192 to third place finishes at the German and Italian Grands Prix, and fourth at the British GP. Chassis no. 06 is now presented in 1992 season specification, equipped with a correct engine and ready for historic racing events (Est. $825,000 - $1,100,000).

2020 F1 tyres fate could be decided by team vote

2020 F1 tyres fate could be decided by team vote

Formula 1 teams may be asked to vote on whether to abandon Pirelli's 2020 tyres after they are tested in Abu Dhabi next month.
If seven out of 10 teams are still unhappy with the new spec tyres, Pirelli could be obliged to stick with its proven 2019 products for next season.

All teams were given two sets of the 2020 tyres to try in Friday practice in Austin.

Drivers were so frustrated by a lack of grip that teams questioned whether Pirelli had gone in the right direction and suggested that it might be better to stick with the 2019 construction.

Pirelli's view was that the test was not representative, because of the cold conditions and the fact that teams did not adjust their set-ups.

The Italian company's F1 boss Mario Isola also pointed out that the 2020 tyres were expected to provide less grip, but would be more consistent.

Teams initially agreed to take a more detailed look at the data from Austin, but some were pushing for a quick decision to be made on sticking with the 2019 tyres, even before the Abu Dhabi test on December 3-4.

However, last week FIA technical chief Nikolas Tombazis contacted all the teams and it has been agreed that the two days of 2020 running in Abu Dhabi should go ahead.

Following a subsequent analysis of the data, a vote could be held the following week, if some teams still have doubts about the 2020 tyres.

In theory article 12.6.1 of the FIA technical regulations applies.

The rule states: "Tyre specifications will be determined by the tyre supplier, in agreement with the FIA, no later than 1 September of the previous season for the construction and 1 December for the range of compounds to be used during the Championship season.

"Once determined in this way, the specification of the tyres will not be changed without the agreement of at least 70% of the competing teams. Notwithstanding the above, the FIA may decide to change the specification during the Championship season for safety reasons without notice or delay."

Midfield teams in particular are frustrated because the September 1 deadline passed long ago.

That was put in place specifically because the construction and hence shape of the tyres has a huge impact on aero, and teams need that information as soon as possible. In this case, the 2020 tyres have a wider shoulder.

Amid the uncertainty, teams have thus been running their 2020 aero programmes with two possible tyre shapes in mind – the current and the new versions – and that is much harder for those with less resource.

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel, one of the few drivers to have tried the final 2020 tyres before Austin, admits that there are still some concerns.

"It's probably good to give them another go," he said. "On the other hand the targets that were set out to achieve probably we didn't achieve.

"I had a day in Barcelona, we had the cross-check in Austin. I think the feedback wasn't positive, and in the end we try to make a step forward. So we'll see what comes out."

Alonso: "Exciting" Verstappen F1's best driver right now

Alonso: "Exciting" Verstappen F1's best driver right now

Fernando Alonso says that Max Verstappen has been his choice for the best driver in Formula 1 this year thanks to his "attack mode" attitude.
While Alonso has not had time to watch every grand prix since he quit F1 at the end of last season, the Spaniard has revealed that he likes to watch Verstappen’s progress when he does tune in.

Asked during a press conference in Buenos Aires about who he rates the best in F1, Alonso said: “There's a reason why the drivers in the series are up there. It is not by chance, it is because they are the best.

“In F1 it is difficult to choose the best because it changes a lot from year to year and from car to car. There are drivers who are fast over one lap and others at the starts. There are others who are consistent and others who are very aggressive.

"I would say that right now it [the best] is Max Verstappen. He is a driver that I like to follow. This year I've watched the races on television and I like to see him because he is always in attack mode.

Max Verstappen, Red Bull, Fernando Alonso, McLaren

"If you see that he is third and catches the guy in second, you know he won't stay there. You know he will try at some point [to get past] and that to the fans is something exciting.”

Alonso does point out, however, that Verstappen’s approach is not all positive – for with it comes the risk of incidents that can cost finishes.

"But that aggressiveness also makes you lose points because you have more problems. It is difficult to find the balance."

And Alonso says his eyes have been opened by competing against drivers in other categories, whose talents are not always appreciated.

“After having raced in endurance, in Daytona, in the Indy 500 and in some rallies over the years, you see drivers from whom you learn a lot and they teach you a lot. It's hard to pick just one driver."

Brazilian GP: Verstappen wins from Gasly after crazy finish

Brazilian GP: Verstappen wins from Gasly after crazy finish

Max Verstappen won a crazy Brazilian Grand Prix in which Toro Rosso's Pierre Gasly claimed his first Formula 1 podium in second and the two Ferraris collided with each other.
Poleman Verstappen had to pass Lewis Hamilton on track twice to score his third victory of 2019, while Gasly beat Hamilton in a drag race to the line after being handed second place when Hamilton and Alex Albon collided on the penultimate lap.

A collision between teammates Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc caused a safety car and set up a four-lap climax to a thrilling race, with Albon in second because Hamilton had made a switch to soft tyres under the safety and dropped to third.

Hamilton tried to pass Albon for second on the penultimate lap but Albon turned in, they hit each other and the Red Bull spun, while Gasly jumped Hamilton and then somehow resisted the Mercedes on the run to the line.

The world champion is under investigation for the incident.

Poleman Verstappen maintained the lead at the start as Hamilton attacked Vettel on the outside into Turn 1 and grabbed second.

Hamilton fell away from Verstappen through the first stint as Verstappen held a lead of around 2.4s initially, which Hamilton had whittled down to 1.8s when he dived into the pitlane at the end of lap 20.

That committed him to a two-stop strategy by switching to a fresh set of softs, and though Red Bull responded one lap later Hamilton's massive pace advantage on new tyres meant he was set to jump Verstappen with relative ease.

He caught Leclerc, who was yet to stop having started 14th, at the end of the lap but still moved ahead of Verstappen because Verstappen was baulked by the Williams of Robert Kubica in the pitlane.

Williams released Kubica but the Pole was slow away and swerved into Verstappen's path at the exit, forcing Verstappen to take evasive action and then sit behind the Williams until they rejoined the circuit.

That allowed Hamilton ahead, but Leclerc put up a stern resistance through the rest of the lap, which meant Verstappen – also on fresh softs – closed back up immediately.

Hamilton passed Leclerc on the outside of the fast left-hander at the end of the middle sector but Verstappen followed him through immediately, darting down the inside of Leclerc into the Juncao left-hander that follows.

Verstappen was then immediately on Hamilton's tail and blasted past into Turn 1, as Hamilton ran out of battery power at the end of the lap and bemoaned his team for a lack of information.

The lead gap gradually extended to more than three seconds as Hamilton grew irate, insisting he could not close the gap and requesting to stop to try to force the undercut again.

Mercedes obliged on lap 43 of 71, but Red Bull covered the move one lap later again and Verstappen retained track position.

He proceeded to keep Hamilton at arm's length until a safety car emerged with 18 laps remaining, when Valtteri Bottas, who was in a frustrated fifth place behind Leclerc, was forced to retire after an apparent engine failure.

Bottas slowed exiting Turn 3 after smoke emerged from the back of his Mercedes before pulling to a halt on the inside at Turn 4, which was initially dealt with using double waved yellow flags but required a safety car when a recovery vehicle was deployed to retrieve the Mercedes.

Hamilton stayed out while Verstappen dived into the pits for another set of softs, and Hamilton opted not to pit next time by either – giving him the lead, but with tyres 11 laps older than Verstappen's.

When the race resumed, Hamilton led Verstappen, Vettel, Albon and Leclerc – with Vettel and Albon sticking with tyres they had only just switched to three laps before the safety car, and Leclerc stopping for another set of softs.

Hamilton backed the pack up aggressively at the restart to thwart Verstappen's attack, but Verstappen drew level on the outside into the first corner and toughed it out to reclaim the lead into the second part of the Senna S.

Behind, Albon aggressively took third from Vettel, then rebuffed the Ferrari's attempt to reclaim the place into Turn 3.

Albon closed in on Hamilton for second but found himself under attack from Vettel again when the Ferrari launched a move around the outside into the first corner with seven laps remaining, but Albon somehow resisted.

Two laps later, Leclerc mugged teammate Vettel on the inside into the first corner, but when Vettel fought back on the run down to Turn 4 he moved left and the two Ferraris hit each other.

The impact broke Leclerc's front right wheel and forced the furious youngster into retirement, while Vettel – who blamed Leclerc – picked up a right-rear puncture.

That triggered at a safety car under which Hamilton dived into the pits yet again, dropping him to fourth behind Albon and Gasly.

A two-lap dash to the flag ensued after the safety car period ended, in which Albon and Hamilton collided – Hamilton accepted the blame for the incident, which dropped Albon to 14th.

Gasly then earned his stunning podium finish by keeping Hamilton behind until the Mercedes drew level exiting the penultimate corner, but the Honda-powered Toro Rosso stayed ahead in a near dead heat.

Behind the top three, Carlos Sainz Jr matched McLaren's best result of the year by making the most of the chaos to finish fourth despite starting last after failing to take part in qualifying.

Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi nailed Alfa Romeo's best result of the season in fifth and sixth, ahead of Daniel Ricciardo, who fought back from a broken front wing and a five-second penalty early on in a collision with Kevin Magnussen to finish seventh.

Lando Norris finished eighth for McLaren, with Racing Point's Sergio Perez and Daniil Kvyat completing the points finishers.