FORMULA 1

Haas' presence vital for F1's US growth - Ross Brawn

Haas F1 Team in action

Formula 1 chief Ross Brawn says the presence – and form – of Haas in the championship is crucial for its hoped-for expansion in the United States.

Haas entered Formula 1 in 2016 through a close collaboration with Ferrari and Dallara, and last season classified fifth in the Constructors’ Championship.

But this year it has struggled for consistency from its VF-19, which has often shown pace in qualifying but regressed in race trim.

Haas evaluated different car specifications and accepted that wind tunnel to on-track correlation issues had hampered its development.

In Russia it scored its first top 10 finish since the German Grand Prix courtesy of ninth for Kevin Magnussen, and also secured a Q3 berth courtesy of Romain Grosjean.

“After finishing fifth in the Constructors’ Championship last year, Haas started this season with the hope of consolidating its progress,” said Brawn.

“But unfortunately they seem to be going backwards, especially in the races, although they’ve been a bit better in qualifying. 

“At one point it seemed the team was in a vicious circle from a technical point of view, but Gunther Steiner’s men are back on track, dismantling the puzzle pieces put in place to date and reassembling the jigsaw all over again. 

“Gene Haas’ team is a valuable asset for Formula 1. It is the first example of a new team establishing itself in a sport that for too many years has seen teams come and go in a short space of time, without ever really making their mark.

“It’s also important because it flies the US flag in a sport that is generally Euro-centric. It is vital for Formula 1 that we continue to support the growth in interest in the sport in the USA and in the absence of an American driver a Stars ‘n’ Stripes team fulfils that role.

“Let’s hope therefore that Haas is on the up in this final part of the season and maybe they can even get a good result at their home race in Austin.”

Haas currently holds ninth in the Constructors’ Championship.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

Romain Grosjean: Haas issues akin to Lotus' 2014 strife

Romain Grosjean in action for Haas F1

Romain Grosjean says that the correlation issues encountered by Haas in Formula 1 this year are reminiscent of Lotus’ troubles in 2014.

Haas had endured fluctuating form through this year and has evaluated different car specifications in order to address the weaknesses of its VF-19.

It believes that wind tunnel to track correlation issues are at the root of its issues, leaving the team heading down the wrong path in terms of development.

“Lotus in 2014 was a really good example,” said Grosjean. “I was told in January 2014 that the car was good enough to be world champion – which I believed at the time! Obviously it was not.

“What we were seeing at the wind tunnel and on the track was a very different situation and it took until Budapest to actually get there, everyone to agree and understand that there were big correlation issues.

“They made some big work after that and understood it and that’s why 2015 was much better.

“But you can always have the theoretical path in the wind tunnel but when you put it in real life things are different, it’s something we are trying to understand and address for the future.

“There’s a lot of correlation issues yeah. The rest is downforce also is not really good in terms of pure numbers but the biggest issue is correlation and behaviour on track versus wind tunnel.”

Grosjean has outlined that Haas’ next step is to properly understand the root cause in order to avoid a potential repeat in 2020.

“I think we just… we didn’t put any performance on the car all year long and made some things worse, some things better,” he said.

“If you believe the wind tunnel and everything it’s all good and it’s all getting better.

“If you believe the lap time, the feeling and what we measure on track it's not so much, so that’s what we’re analysing at the moment, and what is causing the problem and the correlation issue.”

Formula 1 plays down chance of new teams entering in 2021

1017795669-LAT-20190927-_R3I5507%20(Custom).jpg

Formula 1 has issued a statement insisting that it is not involved in any serious discussions with prospective organisations interested in entering the championship in 2021.

Formula 1 is set to introduce new sporting and technical regulations in 18 months’ time, with one element including the first stages of a budget cap.

On Thursday a Monaco-based firm with links to the Campos junior outfit outlined its ambitions to join the Formula 1 grid in 2021.

It revealed it had held multiple meetings with senior Formula 1 figures, had signed key designers, and had identified Pascal Wehrlein and Alex Palou as potential drivers.

But on Thursday evening cold water was poured on their ambitions by the championship.

A statement issued on behalf of Formula 1 read: “Following publicity in recent days from several entities that have indicated their ambition to participate in the FIA Formula One World Championship from 2021, while Formula 1 appreciates their interest, we can confirm that there are no serious discussions with any persons or companies about the admission of a new team.”

It aligns with an interview given by Formula 1 sporting chief Ross Brawn to Sky Sports in August, in which he commented: We have a surprising number of teams that have shown an interest.

“But what we have said to those teams is let's get these rules introduced, let's stabilise the situation. Let's get everything working properly before we seek more teams.”

Hamilton: Dirty air data for 2021 cars looks "great"

Hamilton: Dirty air data for 2021 cars looks "great"

Five-time Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton says he has seen the data from research to make it easier for cars to follow in 2021 and thinks it looks “great”.

Hamilton has been a vocal critic of the process to establish F1’s new rules for 2021 and not held back in raising his concerns, which have included the fear that ideas like reverse-grid qualifying races next season are “an excuse for not doing a good enough job”.

The Mercedes driver and his colleagues have been better represented in the rule-making process in recent months but have still felt left in the dark or ignored over some key issues, so F1 boss Chase Carey and Ross Brawn met with drivers over the Russian Grand Prix weekend to provide them with an update.

Asked by Motorsport.com if he felt more informed or would still like more inclusion, Hamilton said: “It’s been a huge step for us to be involved, it’s a big step for all the drivers to be united.

“We’re building a new and better relationship with the FIA, and I think they’ve been quite open.

“There are things that we ask about and they are like ‘we can’t change it now’…but there’s no such thing as ‘can’t’ for an engineer.

“There’s lots of things that can be improved but the thing they did show us the other day is that the amount that you lose behind a car today and what their simulations say that we will lose in terms of downforce behind the new car.

“I think it looks great, so I’m working as hard as I can to make sure I can stay around for then and get to drive those newer cars.”

Hamilton reiterated his concern that the cars will be getting slower and heavier, and said that he thinks the 2021 generation will be “two or three seconds off” the lap times at present.

However, he acknowledged the rulemakers were “working really hard at it” and his fellow Russian GP podium finishers Valtteri Bottas and Charles Leclerc are enthused by the steps being taken.

Responding to the same question, Hamilton’s Mercedes teammate Bottas said: “It’s a good start that we are closer to them and they are actually sharing the ideas with us.

“We have a pretty good understanding when it comes to driving and racing and we’re always happy to give our opinion.

“We have the best understanding what makes us happy and what makes the racing better.

“It means happier fans and so on so it’s nice to be involved and I hope that that continues.”

Ferrari driver Leclerc said he ‘completely agreed’ with the two Mercedes men.

“It’s very important that we are all united for the same goals,” said Leclerc.

“Our ideas are clear, what we want, and it’s important that we are involved because we just feel things that sometimes on the data doesn’t look the same way. It’s a good step.”

Aeroscreen: IndyCar progressing a more desirable solution?

Aeroscreen: IndyCar progressing a more desirable solution?

It’s a topic that’s been left to simmer for a couple of seasons in Formula 1, but are IndyCar paving the way for a more palatable driver head protection solution?
The latest implementation of head protection in top-level motorsport is one of the first public outings of the aeroscreen in IndyCar, which will be introduced for the 2020 season.

In simple terms, it’s a halo device with an added polycarbonate screen, which is equipped with anti-reflective coating and integrated heat elements to prevent the screen fogging up. The screen also has tear-offs which can be removed in pits stops.

On Wednesday, Scott Dixon and Will Power completed the first of four scheduled tests aimed at exploring the various functionality questions associated with it, such as glare, fogging, cooling, cockpit conditions and even how it affects the car performance.

This wasn’t just some kind of promotional demonstration, either. The pair completed over 250 laps around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with fastest laps of over 224mph, around 5mph away from the 2019 Indy 500 pole position lap.

The first test was met with encouraging verdicts from everybody conducting the test, and it gave fans the chance to assess the ever-important aesthetics of the addon to the Dallara DW12 chassis.

Purists will undoubtedly continue to question if the additional head protection devices make these true open-wheel race cars and, as with many debates in motorsport, this is something unquantifiable and completely open to opinion. The same could be said of the appearance of the cars.

The looks of the first few iterations of driver head protection haven’t been helped by these devices being introduced after chassis regulations have been set. The halo device has always been a bolt-on to existing cars.

Will Power, Team Penske Chevrolet with aeroscreen

The exception to this rule is Formula E, who were able to give the first attempt at properly implementing the halo into their long-awaited second-generation chassis, which was introduced for the 2018-2019 season. Many commented that the styling of the Spark SRT05E disguised the halo well, although, due to the need for it to sit prominently over a drivers’ head, many still disliked the appearance of it.

Aeroscreen has often been mooted as a concept which could solve the aesthetics issue, with thoughts of giving racing cars something of a ‘fighter jet’ look. This was briefly trailed in Formula 1, but this was understandably an avenue which would’ve required more development time, compared to the more immediate solution of the halo.

After a couple of years of further development, IndyCar will become the first series to adopt the aeroscreen, which has given fans the opportunity to see the direction Formula One could go with driver head protection.

There’s no question that head protection solutions are here to stay, and motorsport has had around two seasons to adjust to the concept and, unfortunately, see it in action.

Most prominently, there have been incidents in Formula One (2018 Belgian Grand Prix) and Formula Two (2018 Barcelona Sprint Race) after which drivers have expressed their gratefulness at the inclusion of the added protection.

From a fans’ perspective, with top-level motorsport being a celebration of the best teams and drivers competing against each other, surely there must be a desire to reduce the risk of losing some of the richness of the competition by continuing to make strides in driver safety.

If the advances in safety can be eventually implemented into a design solution that looks attractive to the majority of motorsport fans, can we continue to have a problem with them?

McLaren: Mercedes deal leaves us "nowhere to hide"

McLaren: Mercedes deal leaves us "nowhere to hide"

McLaren wanted a Mercedes Formula 1 engine supply so it could give itself “nowhere to hide” as it bids to establish itself as a leading team again.

During the Russian Grand Prix weekend, McLaren and Mercedes announced they would reunite in 2021, once McLaren’s current Renault engine deal ends.

It will mark the end of six seasons of F1 without Mercedes power for McLaren, a period in which it slipped to the back of the field while the works Mercedes team has won every drivers’ and constructors’ title available.

McLaren team boss Andreas Seidl, who led the move to return to Mercedes, explained: “My task is to be in charge of the F1 team and to put together, as quickly as possible, all the elements I think are required to be successful in the future.

“This includes organisational things, infrastructure like [the new] wind tunnel, and selecting the power unit supplier is an important milestone as well.

“Mercedes being clearly the benchmark in this hybrid era, in terms of powertrain, was one of the main reasons we wanted to make this decision.

“Mercedes as a team, with this power unit, is clearly the benchmark in F1 nowadays.

“The best thing is to have the same powertrain as the best team in the paddock at the moment. Then there’s nowhere to hide for us.”

When McLaren was preparing to split from Mercedes after the 2014 season, then-boss Ron Dennis said F1’s V6 turbo-hybrid engine era was too complex for a customer team to beat a manufacturer.

However, Seidl has “absolutely no worries” McLaren will not “get the same treatment” as Mercedes’ works team.

He is also confident that picking an engine manufacturer 18 months in advance is not a risk because the 2021 rules will feature no changes on the engine side.

“With the regulations staying the same on the power unit side there is convergence between the manufacturers,” said Seidl.

“We see already they are all quite close together, which is good for us as an independent team, not having our own engine.

“But I think with everything Mercedes has shown in the last five or six years, in terms of commitment, in terms of quality, reliability, we are convinced it’s definitely the right way to go for us from 2021 onwards.”

Since joining McLaren as team principal in May, Seidl has actioned two major decisions: a new wind tunnel and the Mercedes deal.

McLaren’s F1 CEO Zak Brown made it clear Seidl was the person who drove the Mercedes decision, and Seidl said: “A decision like that is something where you have a lot of discussions and communication with all the parties involved.

“I have a lot of discussions day by day with Zak about how we want to approach the future, but in the end it was quite a straightforward decision.

“I’m happy I have this support from Zak, from the shareholders, in terms of putting my vision in place.”

Steiner: F1 format experiments worth it as 2021 won't fix all

Steiner: F1 format experiments worth it as 2021 won't fix all

Haas team boss Gunther Steiner says Formula 1 experimenting with race formats in 2020 is worth it because the 2021 regulations won't be a cure-all for the championship's current problems.
Formula 1 bosses have been keen to trial revised grand prix weekend formats in 2020, but the proposal to try out with a reverse-grid qualifying race at select events was met with strong opposition from the championship's drivers.

Asked by Motorsport.com which side of the debate he fell on, Steiner said that he was "not against" format experiments but stressed it would be important for F1 to be "brave enough" to acknowledge if the new formats aren't working out.

"Sometimes you have to experiment because how do you otherwise find out if it works or not, if you don't try it?" Steiner said.

"I mean, we can do simulations - if we do simulations, we end up [saying] 'we're not going to do it', because there is a risk involved. Every change involves a risk, nobody wants change.

"So, I support it, with the caveat that, if it doesn't work, let's be honest about it and don't continue to do it.

"The drivers, where they are right is saying the field is not close together enough. I mean, we know that. What can we do about that? The budget cap.

"At the moment the budget cap is still too big. So, if the front drivers are not happy with that, they need to tell their teams to get the budget cap down."

The FIA and the teams have agreed a $175 million spending cap that will kick in 2021, but several midfield teams have made it clear this was a high threshold - with Renault saying it could actually prompt it to increase spending and Racing Point advocating for it to be reduced down the line.

Steiner continued: "I understand that they [the drivers] would like to race all 20 [together], same as we want - everyone's working on that idea, but if we want it quick, I think the only way to do it would be an even further reduced budget cap, which is very difficult to do for the big teams.

"We agreed on that one, and therefore we need to go through a phase where we still have a little bit of - hopefully less than we've got now - gap between the top three and the rest."

Asked whether this was why he was open to trialling new formats in 2020, Steiner said : "Yes. We can always experiment, you know? And I don't think we do anything wrong, because at least you do an experiment, a lot of people watch it and give an opinion, and then you can decide if the experiment works or not.

"I personally don't feel a need for [reversed-grid qualifying races], but FOM wants to test it, we are part of this thing and it's not about us, it's about the sport.

"They are the experts and promoter, it's their show. So, we need to try to help them to make the show better, in my opinion."

Focus on 2020 has hurt Mercedes, says Wolff

Focus on 2020 has hurt Mercedes, says Wolff

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff admits that the team's form relative to rivals Ferrari has suffered because of a lack of upgrades in recent races.

Wolff says that a switch of focus on 2020 led to a slow-down in development, although there will be new parts at the next race in Suzuka.

Asked if recent results are due to Ferrari improving or Mercedes underperforming, Wolff conceded that the latter aspect has played a role.

"I think the truth will be somewhere in the middle," he said. "I think they have and continue to make big steps in straightline performance, and they have had a good car in Singapore, a very good car in Sochi.

"And if you put these dots together you are setting the benchmark. And this is what they did this last last two weekends.

"In the same time, we haven't brought upgrades since a long time onto the car, and we probably haven't managed things as optimum as you can manage.

"But also we've been a bit unlucky also with our calls, and in the last few races we could have won some of these races, and we didn't. And that bad luck turned into good luck [in Sochi]."

Wolff said that the lack of updates was a strategic decision.

"That's the way it was planned, yeah. You've got to manage your resource in the right way, also looking into next year. That is something which we consider very carefully.

"There will be a little thing in Suzuka, that we are just interested to explore. But not the big steps that we had when we pushed very hard until the summer."

Asked if that exploration was aimed at 2020, he added: "As the regulations stay the same it's all part of the same thinking."

This year's Mercedes has been characterised as a significantly more "draggy" car than the Ferrari, but Wolff says changing that is not a main focus of future development.

"It's something we're looking at, but you need to put it into perspective. Between a draggy car and a not draggy car, probably the two extremes you see on track, on the whole grid you will find two-tenths difference.

"This is what you can extract in putting lots of bits on the car, versus having a streamlined car. So it has not such a big effect. It has an affect, but it's not the main effect."

Wolff admitted that Mercedes would be under a lot more pressure now had Ferrari taken all its opportunities earlier on the year.

"The championship is also management of your points scoring ability throughout the year. We could have decided a while ago to push flat out until the end, and then compromise next year, which we didn't do.

"But you've got be careful. I agree it's always a management issue.

"They have dropped the ball at the beginning of the season a few times, but they are getting their act together now, and you can see four times, four races in a row, where they are pretty strong, and are just the reference, laptime wise."

Verstappen: 22-race F1 calendar will lead to divorces

Verstappen: 22-race F1 calendar will lead to divorces

Red Bull Racing Formula 1 driver Max Verstappen has questioned the extension of the 2020 calendar to 22 races, and suggested that it will lead to divorces for mechanics.

Next year's schedule will be the longest in the history of the sport, with Hockenheim going and Hanoi and Verstappen's own home race at Zandvoort added.

Verstappen says his main concern is for crew members, who have to spend long hours at circuits.

"I don't agree with 22 races a year," he said. "I think we should just pick the best tracks out there – I know they want to make money, but they also have to think about the mechanics who rock up to the track.

"They arrive Monday or Tuesday to build everything up while the big bosses arrive on a Saturday or maybe even a Saturday morning and fly even during the race back home.

"For them it's not a problem, they can easily do 30, because they're only away for three days.

"For most of the people it's at least five or six days, and then I'm not even complaining about us, it's the mechanics, they can file for a divorce straight away if there's going to be more."

Racing Point's Sergio Perez expressed similar sentiments on behalf of crew members.

"It's a lot of action," said the Mexican. "Not for drivers, we love racing, although it's a lot of big commitments, because we don't only have the racing, we have the simulator, sponsorship events, we have to keep fit and so on, so it's a lot – it's over the limit.

"But also for the mechanics. They're here since Monday, they leave sometimes on Tuesday, so it's already I think on the very high side for the people that work in the teams."

Perez admitted that a busier schedule was harder now that he is a family man with children.

"Yeah, I'll see if they don't divorce me! We started when there were 19 races. It's a lot. But as I say I think for us drivers it's a lot of work, but some of the European races we are able to come early on Thursday, and so on.

"I'm more concerned for the mechanics, and engineers, I think they're the ones who are going to be quite worried.

"I doubt they will be able to have any social life at this level, so it's very hard. There will be a point where we might be looking to have two crews, and splitting them or something."

Vettel expands on "Bring back f***ing V12s" remark

Vettel expands on "Bring back f***ing V12s" remark

Sebastian Vettel says his frustrated radio message for Formula 1 to 'bring back the f***ing V12s' after his Russian GP retirement was borne of ongoing angst at the downside of the current turbo hybrid engines.

Vettel's hopes of a podium finish at Sochi on Sunday were dashed when the MGU-K on his car failed shortly after his pitstop.

With the team realising that continuing to race on risked damaging the engine, Vettel was ordered to stop his car immediately – which in doing so prompted a virtual safety car that cost teammate Charles Leclerc the win.

After being told to jump clear of his car, a disappointed Vettel came over the radio and said simply: "Bring back the f***ing V12s.'

Reflecting late on about whether the disappointment of the day had prompted him to reconsider staying in F1, Vettel said: "There's no series like Formula 1 with V12s, otherwise I would consider!

"But, no, I mean, obviously there's no option. These power units are very complex.

"I think from an engineering point of view, very fascinating, but obviously I have my stand on it, and I don't think it comes with a great upside for us racing, and people watching."

Vettel said that having been in contention for the win in Russia, despite the controversy surrounding the Ferrari team orders, the retirement had been very hard to accept.

"In that moment obviously it was very bitter, because up to that point I thought I drove very well, and it was looking like a good afternoon," he explained.

"Then obviously the first reaction when the car sort of breaks down is always not the happiest one."

Abiteboul: Managing Ocon-Ricciardo relationship will be a ‘challenge’

image.jpg

2020 will see Renault boast one of the most exciting driver line-ups on the grid, when Daniel Ricciardo is paired up with F1 returnee Esteban Ocon. But Team Principal Cyril Abiteboul is already anticipating fireworks between the two when they hit the track next season.

It was confirmed ahead of this year’s Belgian Grand Prix that Ocon, who is managed by Mercedes, would return to Formula 1, having lost his drive at Racing Point at the end of 2018, and having missed out on a seat at Renault for 2019 when they moved to sign Ricciardo from Red Bull.

Speaking on the official F1 podcast, Beyond The Grid, supported by Bose, Abiteboul revealed why Renault had opted to replace Nico Hulkenberg with Ocon for 2020.

“The problem sometimes in Formula 1 is you have people doing very long careers, and at the end, they are a bit [there] to be in Formula 1 and almost [winning] becomes secondary,” said Abiteboul. “I don’t want that at any point in the company.

“Don’t get me wrong, when I’m saying that, I’m not talking about Nico… But I do feel that when you are 22, [in the] early days of your career – a career for which you had to fight a lot… it’s a different dynamic. It’s the sort of dynamic that I feel is the right dynamic for our team.

“So if you ask me whether we’ve taken Esteban because Esteban is simply a better driver than Nico, I am absolutely unable to tell you… But do I believe that it’s better in the dynamic of our team? Yes, I feel so.”

Ocon had a famously tempestuous relationship with Sergio Perez when the two drivers were paired up at Force India, while he also fell out with Max Verstappen after the former European F3 rivals collided at the 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix. And Abiteboul is already predicting a difficult year to come from a driver management point of view.

“[Esteban] will want to beat Daniel,” said Abiteboul bluntly. “And I know that we will have some challenges from a driver management perspective on the pit wall to manage that. But that’s also a nice problem to have.”

Ocon will be joining a Renault team that has slipped from fourth in the constructors’ standings in 2018 to fifth in 2019, having been surpassed by their resurgent customer team McLaren – and with just five races left this season for them to overturn the 33-point gap that's grown up between the two squads.

Gasly ready for ‘insane’ Suzuka reception for Honda-powered foursome

image.jpg

With their four Honda-powered cars set to mount an assault at Suzuka next weekend, Pierre Gasly is already looking forward to the best reception of the season for Toro Rosso and Red Bull.

This year will mark the first Japanese GP with four Honda-engined machines on the grid since 2007, when Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello raced for a 'works' Honda outfit and Takuma Sato and Anthony Davidson lined up for Super Aguri at Fuji.

And Gasly said he was relishing being one of those set to be cheered on by the passionate Japanese support.

“I guess this year with Red Bull plus Toro Rosso will be quite insane so I’m really looking forward to getting there,” he smiled.

Gasly’s eyes lit up further when he was told by a Japanese reporter in Russia that there will be a capacity crowd awaiting him and Toro Rosso team mate Daniil Kvyat, and the Red Bull duo of Max Verstappen and Alex Albon.

image.jpg

“It’s almost sold out? The Honda grandstand is already sold out?" he asked wide-eyed.

“I think we’re really looking forward to this one. Already last year it was really impressive to see so much support. Seeing it at the race, it was the most support since the start of my career because the Japanese are so passionate and they’re really showing their passion and support.”

Back in 2007, only Barrichello managed to finish the race with P10 at the flag.

And last year, even though Gasly lined up sixth, one place ahead of team mate Brendon Hartley, neither managed to score a point.

Honda are hoping Toro Rosso fare better this year – especially as they readied them and Red Bull in Russia with new ‘Spec 4’ engines for the race at Suzuka.

“We also have some upgrades, so I really hope we can provide a good performance in front of all of them," added Gasly. "Last year we had a good quali but not a good race.

“Hopefully this year we can get the two together, especially as it will mean a lot for Honda and for all the fans who support us.”

F1 and Complex launch content series hosted by A$AP Ferg

asap-ferg-daniel-ricciardo.jpg

Formula 1 has announced a new five-part series called 'The Pit', which will be hosted by US rapper A$AP Ferg.

The online series will feature a range of F1-themed challenges, providing a greater insight into the sport and its drivers, with Carlos Sainz, Lando Norris, Daniel Ricciardo and Kimi Raikkonen all involved.

The series is being produced by Complex, a New York-based media company which specialises in digital media.

"Partnering with Complex gives us the perfect platform to wow and engage new fans in the US," said Ellie Norman, Formula 1's director of marketing and communications.

"We want to showcase Formula 1 in a different way, and getting A$AP Ferg’s unique perspective on the sport with some of the world’s best drivers is a brilliant way to immerse new fans into the sport.

"Securing a partnership with Complex ensures we are talking to a new audience in a way that’s right for them and we are really excited to see how the series progresses."

Edgar Hernandez, Complex chief revenue officer, added: "This partnership provides millennial audiences a way of experiencing Formula 1 like they've never seen before.

"Complex was able to contextualise the sport through best in class storytelling and the most relevant talent that hits with this hard to reach audience. Formula 1 is the perfect partner as they understand the importance to find the intersection of diverse audiences and bring that interesting convergence to life."

The first show will premiere on October 4, with weekly episodes up until the United States Grand Prix on November 1.

George Russell: Williams' deficit to rivals has allowed 'extreme' approaches

George Russell in action for Williams

George Russell believes Williams’ position at the rear of the Formula 1 grid this year has enabled it to evaluate more “extreme” approaches that will serve it well in the long run.

Williams slumped to the rear of the 10-team field in 2018 and performance-wise regressed further in 2019, often lapping a second slower than its nearest opponent.

It has yet to escape Q1 and scored just one point, which came courtesy of a post-race penalty for Alfa Romeo that promoted Robert Kubica to the top 10 in Germany.

Russell, who will remain part of Williams’ line-up in 2020, said that the drop in pace for much of the campaign will facilitate the team’s long-term ambitions.

“This year has given us a good opportunity to explore more with set-ups, some more extreme set-up items, how we prepare the tyres, this lap, the other,” he said.

“If you are fighting in the midfield you’d probably be a bit more reluctant to try something drastic because each weekend could be a possibility for them.

George Russell believes Williams’ position at the rear of the Formula 1 grid this year has enabled it to evaluate more “extreme” approaches that will serve it well in the long run.

Williams slumped to the rear of the 10-team field in 2018 and performance-wise regressed further in 2019, often lapping a second slower than its nearest opponent.

It has yet to escape Q1 and scored just one point, which came courtesy of a post-race penalty for Alfa Romeo that promoted Robert Kubica to the top 10 in Germany.

Russell, who will remain part of Williams’ line-up in 2020, said that the drop in pace for much of the campaign will facilitate the team’s long-term ambitions.

“This year has given us a good opportunity to explore more with set-ups, some more extreme set-up items, how we prepare the tyres, this lap, the other,” he said.

“If you are fighting in the midfield you’d probably be a bit more reluctant to try something drastic because each weekend could be a possibility for them.

Honda has no plans to revive works team under 2021 rules

Honda F1 car in 2008

Honda says it has no plans to revive its works team under the 2021 regulations, which include a budget cap aimed at making it not only easier for new entrants to join the sport, but also to level the playing field between the smaller and larger outfits.

Speaking to RaceFans, Honda's managing director Masashi Yamamoto explained that its focus is solely on producing a good engine for its customers, which include Red Bull and its junior outfit Toro Rosso, insisting a works team venture would be distracting.

"We know that continuity in Formula 1 is very important. So we have done five years for power unit and somehow now reaching a good area," he said.

"However if we start the chassis now we are going to have another struggle again which we don’t want."

Honda has enjoyed mixed fortunes as an entrant, with its most recent foray between 2006 and 2008 delivering just a single race win before it bowed out and became Brawn GP – which went on to win the title in 2009 – before becoming the dominant Mercedes outfit we know today.

Yamamoto admitted there is a downside to remaining just an engine supplier, as it gives them very little say over the future direction of the sport other than on the engine side.

"There’s not much advantage for being a supplier in this world," he added. "It’s kind of like a disadvantage being a supplier in terms of regulations, but we are joining the manufacturers' meeting for [the] power unit so we can discuss about the regulations there.

“In addition, we can discuss with Red Bull and Toro Rosso."

Honda’s Naoki Yamamoto to make F1 debut at Suzuka

1280px-2016_Super_Formula_Championship%2C_Fuji_Speedway_(28780362960).jpg

Reigning Super Formula champion Naoki Yamamoto will make his Formula 1 debut during practice for the Japanese Grand Prix.

Yamamoto, 31, will pilot the Honda-powered Toro Rosso STR14 in the opening practice session at Suzuka, assuming the place of Pierre Gasly.

The Japanese racer has spent his entire top-level career with Honda, and has participated in dual Super GT and Super Formula campaigns in his native country since 2010.

Yamamoto partnered Jenson Button to win last year’s Super GT title, having also claimed a second Super Formula championship to add to his 2013 success in the single-seater series.

Honda has been keen to evaluate Yamamoto in Formula 1 machinery; he was present with the marque during a break in his schedule at the German Grand Prix.

Japan has not had a representative on the Formula 1 grid since Toyota-affiliated Kamui Kobayashi’s final race for Caterham in 2014.

Honda has an array of young drivers on its development programme but so far only Nobuharu Matsushita has sampled Formula 1 machinery, during an in-season test with Sauber in 2017.

Formula 2 racer Matsushita took victory at last month’s round in Italy while its other leading protégé, Yuki Tsunoda, could be in line for a Formula 2 promotion next year on account of his form in Formula 3.

Yamamoto is not a contender for a 2020 Toro Rosso seat, having not raced outside of his native Japan, while his age is also understood to be a negative factor.

The team is set to field Daniil Kvyat again, and he will be partnered by whichever of Pierre Gasly or Alexander Albon is overlooked by Red Bull.

"First of all, I would like to thank Scuderia Toro Rosso, Red Bull and of course Honda for giving me this great opportunity," said Yamamoto.

"I am delighted that I will get to drive a Formula 1 car this weekend, something which has been a dream of mine since I was a kid.

"To get this chance at Suzuka, a very important circuit for all Japanese racing drivers, in front of such a big crowd of Japanese fans, will make the experience even more special.

"I have prepared as well as possible for this, spending time as part of the Toro Rosso team at several Grand Prix weekends and I have also worked in the Red Bull simulator.

"My main aim in FP1 will be to do a good job for the team, gathering data and information which will be useful for them over the weekend.

"On a personal note, I want to enjoy the experience of driving an F1 car as much as possible and I will be trying my very best to get the most out of it.

"It will be a special moment and I’m glad I will get to share it with the fans at this amazing race track, where I first watched Formula 1 cars in action 27 years ago.”

Japanese Formula 1 GP braced for ‘violent’ Typhoon Hagibis

XPB_909617_HiRes.jpg

Organisers for this weekend’s Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix are on alert with news that Typhoon ‘Hagibis’ is set to make landfall on Saturday.

Hagibis began its life in the open waters of the Western Pacific Ocean and has swiftly developed into a Category 5 Super Typhoon with winds in excess of 170mph. Japan’s Meteorological Agency (JMA) is currently predicting it will reach the highest level of “violent”.

Its current trajectory means it will pass over the Mariana Island’s of Saipan and Guam on Tuesday, before shifting direction, heading north towards Japan over the course of the coming week.

Hagibis is expected to weaken as it hits lands, but winds are still expected to be in excess of 100mph.

The Japanese Grand Prix is no stranger to storms, with numerous events being affected by the tropical weather.

In 1976, Mario Andretti won a race held in torrential rain with McLaren’s James Hunt claiming the title in the final race of the season.

The 1994 race was affected by the tail-end of Typhoon Zelda which left heavy rain battering the Suzuka circuit. Damon Hill went on to win the race ahead of Benetton’s Michael Schumacher.

Lewis Hamilton won the 2014 event which was affected by Typhoon Phanfone, but the race will be remembered for a crash which led to the death of Jules Bianchi.

In 2004, Typhoon Ma-On hit Suzuka area on the Saturday which caused qualifying to be moved to Sunday morning

Daniil Kvyat: The Russian’s redemption

image.jpg

After being sent back to Toro Rosso from Red Bull Racing in 2016 and then cast aside altogether at the end of 2017, it looked like Daniil Kvyat’s time in Formula 1 would be a tale of a star gone supernova. But just a few weeks later Ferrari snapped him up as a development driver, and a year later, Red Bull were on the phone asking him to return to Toro Rosso. It’s quite the turnaround and quite the story…

Formula 1 isn’t renowned for tales of redemption. Fail to deliver and you’re usually out on your ear. But Daniil Kvyat’s journey is about as far away from the standard script as possible. Tipped as a future champion by Dr Helmut Marko during his karting days, Kvyat blazed a bright and shining trail through the junior formulae, eventually claiming the 2013 GP3 championship with an assuredness that belied his 19 years.

His reward was promotion to Toro Rosso and after an impressive start in 2014 he was swiftly vaulted to the senior team for 2015 – in place of departing four-time champion Sebastian Vettel. Fourteen points finishes from 19 races, as well as out-scoring highly regarded team mate Daniel Ricciardo pointed to a driver determined to deliver on Marko’s forecast, but the following year Kvyat’s career imploded.

The first four races of the 2016 season were messy for the Russian, with an out-of-character wildness on-track that saw him branded a “torpedo” by Vettel after a bruising start in China that resulted in a verbal spat in the cool-down room as the pair prepared to walk out on the podium. And then, in the following race, on home turf in Russia, Kvyat tangled with the Ferrari star for a second time. On this occasion the collision caused Vettel to retire and Kvyat to limp to a lowly 15th.

With Max Verstappen putting in eye-catching performances at Toro Rosso and with pressure building for the Dutchman to be given a better chance to shine, the Torpedo’s second detonation was the final straw. Four races into his second F1 campaign, and just one race after his second F1 podium, he was turfed out of the team in favour of Verstappen.

image.jpg

Sent back to Toro Rosso, Kvyat struggled over the remainder of the season, and while he was retained for 2017, Red Bull eventually lost patience. Just after the summer break the drinks company cut him loose, not just from Toro Rosso but also from their whole driver programme. Things looked pretty bleak.

But taking some time out, away from the pressure cooker of F1, was just what Kvyat needed. He could re-group, reassess what he really wanted, from life as much as motor racing. But whether he wanted to continue in the sport was a moot point, as it quickly became apparent that the sport wanted him. Ferrari came knocking and, valuing his experience, signed him up as their development driver, with a heavy focus on simulator work. The team’s Maranello base became the Russian’s second home.

“That was a good year, honestly,” says Kvyat. “They treated me really well. You help the team and you get to know somewhere outside the Red Bull world. It was good to see how another team operates. I really liked it. I wanted to go to the track, but it helped me grow hungrier to return to Formula 1 in a racing capacity.”

The opportunity to work with a high-profile team, but without the huge pressure that comes with it – or indeed being inside the hugely competitive Red Bull junior programme – proved to be just the tonic. Since entering his first single-seater championship in 2010, it had proved to be a relentless rise for Kvyat. There was barely time to catch a breath. This was an opportunity to take stock and think about what he’d experienced.

“My career evolved quickly,” he says. “I’ve had no time. I had to skip a few little steps. It wasn’t a bad thing. Even last year, when I wasn’t racing, I wanted to get back racing. But sometimes, you need to take a little step back to go forward in the future.”

image.jpg

While there were some days on the sofa, Kvyat didn’t ease up on his training, the Russian keeping up a regime as demanding as when he was in F1 so that he stayed in shape and was ready if and when an opportunity came up.

Then came the call in the summer. “In the beginning, Red Bull needed their space, I needed my space – but we started to be more in touch in the summer,” he says. “I remember having a normal chat, as ex-colleagues, with Dr Marko and Christian [Horner] in Canada. It was just a catch-up to see how things were. There was maybe one phone call from my side to enquire and then there was a phone from Dr Marko’s side. And the call came later on in the year. I really wanted to get back to F1. And, when this opportunity came up, I didn’t think twice. We had a meeting and pretty much decided on everything there and then.”

Kvyat admits he was “slightly anxious” on returning to Toro Rosso, the Russian getting re-acquainted with his office and the team at the end-of-season Abu Dhabi test, but he adds he need not have worried. “Everything was so smooth, it felt like I never really had a break. From lap five or six I really was into it.”

It’s been quite the comeback, with Kvyat scoring points on seven occasions before the summer break, including a stunning, opportunistic podium in the wet at Hockenheim – Toro Rosso’s first since 2008. Before team mate Alexander Albon left to join Red Bull after the summer break, Kvyat had outshone the Thai driver by 11 points. It has been an impressive showing.

“This year, I’ve been driving almost all year at my peak, driving better than ever and using my potential,” he says. “It’s really enjoyable. That’s what makes me enjoy the sport so much and, of course, when the results come with it, it makes you enjoy it even more. So, it’s really good. It has been a good season so far, many points scored and a podium for a team that hasn’t had one for 11 years. It’s a fantastic achievement.”

image.jpg

It’s clear that Kvyat is enjoying his racing again, like he did in that first season for Toro Rosso. He no longer looks like he carries the weight of the world on his shoulders. The Russian is a funny guy, but the joker inside of him had been missing in action during those bad times. That’s no longer the case.

“I didn’t have any expectations this year, to be honest,” he says. “I just said to myself that I have this great opportunity and whatever the level will be of the car, I’m going to try to do my best with it. The level of the car has been very competitive and the team has been very competitive this year as well. So, I was able to extract most out of myself and the car every weekend this year.”

Did that time out away from F1 make him a better driver? “I don’t know,” he says. “I don’t think you can change yourself. You can’t throw your old self away and build a new one. But, you can change the things around yourself. Small things around which can make a big difference in the end. I’ve realised a few things. Every athlete has his own professional secrets, in a way. But maybe one day I will expand on that.

“My career was over in my mind at some point last year and it was great to get another opportunity from Red Bull. They believed in me again and they offered me this chance to show that I learned from all the crises of the past and now I’m doing a better job.”

With that in mind, it’s no surprise that Kvyat isn’t mapping out his racing future. He says the focus is on doing the best job he can, from race to race, and then seeing what happens. But of course, underneath, he craves the opportunity to prove himself once again at a top team – and should that arise, he reckons he’s better prepared than ever.

“I have no particular plan, especially with Red Bull - it’s hard to have a particular plan,” he says. “Everything is quite open. I need to keep doing the job I’m doing. They said that they were happy with my year so far and just asked me to keep doing this job. They asked me to try to get the highest position possible for this team and then they will see where things will be.

"Whatever way it will go, I need to have patience. I need to accept that sometimes it might take time to get a chance at the highest level. But now I know that whenever the opportunity will come at the highest level, I’m ready. I’m more ready than ever.”

Pirelli 'in a position to nominate 2020 tyres' after latest test

Vettel took part in the tyre test for Ferrari

Pirelli has confirmed it collected the required data during a recent test in which it completed 404 laps across two days of running, meaning it is now in a position to nominate its 2020 compound specifications for the final year of 13-inch tyres.

Next season will be the final time 13-inch wheels are used in Formula 1 as the series will switch to 18-inch rims in 2021. Meanwhile Formula 2 will make the transition next year, giving Pirelli a years worth of experience before F1 makes the move.

This week Pirelli held a two-day test at Spain's Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya where Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes aided Pirelli's programme, completing a total of 404 laps, or 1,850km.

"We had a busy couple of days in Barcelona, alternately testing our 2020 tyres for both Formula 1 and Formula 2," commented Pirelli's Mario Isola.

"On Monday, Sebastian Vettel completed 145 laps for Ferrari while Alex Albon drove 115 laps for Red Bull. On Tuesday, Esteban Ocon drove 144 laps for Mercedes, making a combined total of 404 laps over two days.

"In Formula 1, the aim of the test was to validate the latest specification of 13-inch 2020 tyres following the most recent guidelines agreed with the teams.

"We carried out plenty of running with the three top teams over two days, which enabled us to collect the data that we wanted. As a result, we are now in a position to nominate the 2020 specification."

A modified F2 car was also in action and completed 146 laps on new 18-inch tyres.

"Many thanks to all three teams and drivers that took part," added Isola. "In Formula 2, we ran the 18-inch tyres as part of our scheduled test programme."

Renault targeting front-end grip with new front-wing in Japan

Renault RS19 on track in Russia

Renault will bring a new front-wing to the Japanese Grand Prix this weekend as it continues to battle McLaren for midfield honours.

Renault currently trails its customer team by 33 points following a tough time in Singapore and Russia, but remains confident it can close that gap in the final five races of the 2019 Formula 1 season.

In a bid to claw back some valuable points this weekend, the team will introduce a minor upgrade package aimed at improving front-end grip, which is an important factor around the old-school Suzuka circuit.

"It’s very long at 5.807km, with lots of elevation changes, long straights ending in tight chicanes or hairpins and interesting corners," explained Renault technical director Nick Chester.

"It’s a challenge to get right, requiring strong front-end grip for Sector 1 with high speed change of direction but with enough stability to give driver confidence.

"We are bringing a new front-wing to Suzuka. We also have a new chassis wing – externally the changes are pretty subtle, but we expect more downforce and grip as a result."

Both Nico Hulkenberg and Daniel Ricciardo know the importance of performing well this weekend to achieve the team's aim of finishing ahead of McLaren.

"It’s obvious we missed out on points in Singapore and Russia and that’s frustrating given our competitive pace and qualifying positions," added Hulkenberg. 

"We’re still in the battle for fourth. Our Sunday’s especially we have to be cleaner, but that’s down to a range of factors: on my side, on the team’s side and some things we can’t control. We have to target big points in Japan."

Ricciardo added: "Our focus is on Japan and ensuring we do a good job there. It’s important we come away with something to keep in the race for fourth. We know it’s going to be tough, but we won’t give up."

Silverstone set for bumper revenue after record attendance

Silverstone is the home of the British Grand Prix

The home of the British Grand Prix, Northamptonshire's Silverstone Circuit, is set to report record turnover of almost £60 million for 2018.

The circuit benefitted from a record crowd of 140,500 for 2018's Formula 1 British Grand Prix – with a combined weekend total of over 340,000 – which contributed roughly half the circuit's £59.3m turnover.

However the circuit is expected to post a small profit of just £400,000 – which is a 21 per cent decline on 2017.

According to The Telegraoh, this drop was driven by a loss of £2.6m incurred by the BRDC over the sale of its Lotus dealership.

The cancellation of its MotoGP round due to heavy rain also saw it take a major financial hit, with refunds due to some 40,000 fans, which cost the circuit £1.6m despite insurance covering much of the associated costs.

A jump in the cost of hosting F1 also hit the finances, with the fee rising by £800,000 to £18m.

It's not all doom and gloom though as the BRDC, which owns and controls the track, said its financial results "exceeded its target significantly" and its 2019 results should see a major improvement with another record breaking F1 race under its belt which saw 141,000 in attendance, followed up by a packed MotoGP race.

The circuit has also successfully renewed its deal to host F1 until 2024 at a reduced cost of around £4m annually.

2020 ticket sales are also up on the same time last year and a new hotel is set to open opposite 'The Wing' pit and paddock complex.

Mercedes hoping 'minor' Japanese upgrades help in Ferrari fight

Lewis Hamilton and a Ferrari following

Mercedes are counting on some "minor" upgrades delivering the boost required to beat Ferrari this weekend at the Japanese Grand Prix.

Ferrari have hit back against Mercedes' domination this season, delivering wins in Belgium, Italy and Singapore and they looked set for a 1-2 finish in Russia before a reliability issue hit Sebastian Vettel's car and scuppered their strategy, allowing Mercedes to snatch the victory.

Mercedes chief Toto Wolff recognises the fact that Mercedes have fallen behind Ferrari and is hopeful that their upgrades this weekend will put them ahead again, but it will likely also require a perfect weekend if they're to outsmart the Italian squad.

"Claiming a 1-2 in Sochi after three races without a win was a great feeling," said Wolff. "We delivered a strong race in Russia, made the most of our opportunities and both Lewis and Valtteri drove flawlessly.

"We brought home 44 points, built the gap in both championships and are highly motivated to keep our foot on the throttle for the remaining five races.

"However, the win in Sochi doesn’t change the fact that Ferrari had a stronger start to the second part of the season than we did," he added.

"We’ll bring some minor upgrades to the car in Japan which will hopefully help us take a step in the right direction; however, we know that we need to extract absolutely everything from our car and the tyres if we want to be able to challenge for a win."

Mercedes could secure the Constructors' Championship this weekend if they outscore Ferrari by 15 points – another 1-2 finish would do the job – and whilst they have a strong track record at Suzuka, Wolff knows it'll be a close fight.

"We have a strong track record [here], having won every Japanese Grand Prix in the hybrid era, but we expect this year to be challenging given the strength of our opponents.

"It will be a very close battle on track – and one that we very much look forward to. Our targets for the final quarter of the season is clear and it’s up to us to make sure we achieve them."

Mercedes set for first match point in bid to equal Ferrari record

Mercedes celebrates victory in Russia

Mercedes has its first opportunity to equal Ferrari’s record of six straight Constructors’ Championship, depending on the outcome of the Japanese Grand Prix.

Mercedes has been unbeaten in Formula 1’s hybrid era and currently holds a 161-point advantage in the battle between the teams.

It is possible for a team to take 44 points from a grand prix weekend, meaning that only 176 are up for grabs following the upcoming event at Suzuka.

Should Mercedes out-score Ferrari by 15 points at the figure-of-eight venue then it will have built up an unassailable advantage in the championship, securing the title for another campaign.

It would mean Mercedes matches Ferrari in taking six straight crowns, with the Italian marque having achieved the feat from 1999 through 2004.

Mercedes has not been beaten at the Japanese Grand Prix in the hybrid era.

It has outscored Ferrari by at least 15 points at nine of this year’s grands prix.

The Drivers’ Championship will remain mathematically open irrespective of the outcome of this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.

However, should Hamilton retain a 104-point advantage over Charles Leclerc, Max Verstappen and Sebastian Vettel then it means a Mercedes driver is guaranteed the title for a sixth straight year.

Hamilton was Drivers' champion for Mercedes in 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018, while Nico Rosberg claimed the 2016 crown before retiring.

Mercedes admits McLaren supply deal "a risk"

Mercedes admits McLaren supply deal "a risk"

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff acknowledges there is a "risk" in supplying engines to McLaren from 2021 because it has the potential to rival his own team.
McLaren has struck a deal to return to being a Mercedes customer after its current Renault arrangement ends next year, which will end a six-season spell apart for the two former partners.

Since it stopped using Mercedes engines McLaren has failed to score a podium and its winless run stretches back to 2012, but Wolff believes McLaren's progress and F1's rule changes in 2021 could present Mercedes with a serious challenge.

Wolff said: "A new era is going to start in 2021 with compressed grids, with more competition, and we believe that from a PU side there is more learning for us in this exercise, with more competitive customers adding to the two [Racing Point and Williams] that we have.

"And we rate McLaren strongly. The steps that Zak [Brown, McLaren F1 CEO] and Andreas [Seidl, McLaren team principal] have initiated certainly look very promising.

"The advantages outweigh the potential deficits of fighting a hard competitor like McLaren in the future."

McLaren split from Mercedes, initially to Honda, because it did not believe it could challenge the works team in the V6 turbo-hybrid era.

Two years ago, when McLaren and Honda separated, Mercedes was not interested in reviving its old partnership.

Wolff only said "the situation has changed a little bit", though McLaren's position as an established midfield team now may be a factor in that – as the tables here show McLaren's dramatic slump as Mercedes' works team has thrived in the current engine era.

But Wolff also said there were more arguments in favour of the deal than against it.

"We learned it was an advantage having more power units out there," he said.

"There's maybe a process and logistic question, because everybody needs to be supplied at the same time, but there is more upside in it going forward.

"There is a financial upside, so it's a cashflow question which is helpful on the power unit side.

"Overall, many pros. There is one risk in this: that if McLaren does a good job, they will push hard, and maybe benchmark us in a way to say 'that's the same power unit, and you guys are not doing a good enough job'.

"But where we are now, seven years into the hybrid era, we are ready for that step."

Rules delay means 2021 F1 car designs will be "rough"

Rules delay means 2021 F1 car designs will be "rough"

Formula 1 teams will "deliver something a bit more rough" with their 2021 cars as a result of technical regulations being delayed, reckons Ferrari sporting director Laurent Mekies.

Protracted negotiations over F1's desire to invoke sweeping rule changes for 2021 have resulted in the final technical rules being pushed back to the end of this month.

They should have been signed off several months ago but teams and stakeholders have disagreed over several key points, which means team face the prospect of having 16 months to build a very different type of F1 car before testing begins ahead of the 2021 season.

Asked by Motorsport.com about the impact such a delay would have on design work, Mekies said: "We could make up the time for most of the items, you will just deliver something a bit more rough.

"In that specific case it's probably more important that we get the regulations right, even if it comes at a later stage, even.

"If it means something is delayed to the following years, [it is better] than to have something early that we are not happy with."

When asked by Motorsport.com what the ideal start time would be for working on a new car, Mercedes technical director James Allison said he would aim to begin in November or December for a season starting more than a year later.

However, he admitted that a bigger rule change would require "a bit more of a run-up at it".

"A sort of facile answer to that is that there's always enough time, it just depends on the quality of what you do changes, depending on how much time you have," said Allison.

"There was a time, I'm sure you remember, where the Brawn team managed to put a brand new engine in their car and win a championship in a matter of a few weeks, because they had to do it.

"So you can do a lot of things in a short amount of time, but the standard lead-time for working on a new car is a little over a year so you want to be working sort of November/December of the year before the year before, so 14 months or so.

"A bigger rule change you would maybe want a bit more of a run-up at it than that.

"But if there was less time you would still do it, it would just be a bit more of a finger in the air job."

Though teams have some idea of what the 2021 technical rules will entail there is no final version and debate continues over significant elements such as standard parts.

Red Bull's chief engineer Paul Monaghan said: "It would be preferable to have rules that we all agree on before we embark.

"If that pushes it back a little bit, we can still do a car and whoever's finger is lucky in the air may well be lucky at the start of the season, you never know.

"It would also depend on how we chose to divvy up our resources for the 2020 car."