FORMULA 1

How Sainz flourished with McLaren after double F1 rejection

Carlos Sainz Jr arrived at the McLaren Formula 1 team after a bruising spell with Renault for what could have been a make-or-break 2019 season.
But Sainz has impressed in his first season at McLaren – particularly in race conditions – and is growing into the team leader role, and forming an excellent partnership with star rookie Lando Norris.

Stuart Codling and Edd Straw join Ben Anderson to discuss whether Sainz ‘dodged’ a bullet by leaving the Red Bull stable, and how McLaren became the ideal platform for the driver to impress again.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

Hulkenberg teases "exciting Thursday" amid Ocon rumours

Hulkenberg teases "exciting Thursday" amid Ocon rumours

Nico Hulkenberg has teased a "more exciting Thursday" at the Belgian Grand Prix, amid reports Esteban Ocon will take his Renault Formula 1 seat and Mercedes will retain Valtteri Bottas.
Hulkenberg's deal with the Renault works team expires at the end of 2019 and reports in Germany and France have suggested he will be replaced by Ocon next year.

Ocon was in the running for the second Mercedes seat alongside Lewis Hamilton for 2020, but were Mercedes to choose Bottas then Ocon would be free to strike a deal with another team.

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said he would use the summer break to choose between Hamilton's existing teammate Bottas and reserve driver Ocon.

While no announcement has been made ahead of this weekend's Belgian GP, Ocon has been increasingly linked with a move to Renault and Haas has also been tipped as a potential destination.

On Tuesday, Hulkenberg responded to the front cover of the latest issue of French publication Auto Hebdo, which declares Ocon's move to Renault is a done deal and includes a mock picture of Ocon in a Renault race suit.

"Finally a more exciting Thursday ahead," Hulkenberg wrote on his Instagram story in a caption that accompanied a picture of the Ocon/Renault magazine cover.

When approached by Motorsport.com, a Renault spokesperson said the team had no comment to make on the French story "or rumours otherwise".

Mercedes has given no indication regarding the outcome of its driver deliberations.

Ocon was due to join Renault for 2019 but was snubbed when the team made the shock move to sign Daniel Ricciardo from Red Bull instead.

However, 12 months later, he has the opportunity to join Ricciardo at the French works team.

Hulkenberg has been key to Renault finishing sixth and fourth in the constructors' championship in the seasons he has raced for the team.

But he has struggled to match Ricciardo this season, has been outscored 22-17 in the points and been critical of Renault's lack of progress.

Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul made it clear at the French Grand Prix it was looking at alternative options.

He indicated it would likely enter discussions "after the summer break", but the timing would have been influenced by Ocon's role in Mercedes' deliberations.

Hulkenberg and Bottas are both due to speak on Thursday at Spa as part of the usual pre-race media arrangements.

Ferrari: Bigger calendar a "risk" coupled with budget cap

Ferrari: Bigger calendar a "risk" coupled with budget cap

Formula 1 teams will face a "risk" in getting the staff required for an increased grand prix calendar under the budget cap set to be introduced in 2021, according to Ferrari's Mattia Binotto.
F1 is expected to expand to a record 22 races next year, and with owner Liberty maintaining its push to add new events the schedule could balloon further the year after.

While Binotto is not opposed to the expansion in principle as he is aware of the "business necessities", the Ferrari team boss says new races will demand personnel reinforcements.

"I think we need first to make sure that from the financial [side] we are doing the right choices," Binotto told Motorsport.com. "There should be a benefit in terms of the overall financial balance.

"If the balance is positive, yes, we need to [re-]organise ourselves. We cannot afford an entire season of 24 races with the same single individuals."

Binotto believes a further increase in grand prix events will require rotation of not just the rank and file, but the higher-ups in the teams' structures.

"It means that we will need extra people, to rotate them, from the mechanics to the engineers, even key people, because maybe mechanics already today some are rotating, but key people normally not.

"I think as a team we want to make sure that you're keeping your people in the future, you need to really try to manage the effort throughout the distance, so in the end, it will have a big impact.

"It will have a big impact from the number of people, it will have a big impact logistically, because you need somehow to manage logistically the transport of all the parts.

"So it's not easy, and there's very little time to organise ourselves as well, because increasing the number of people is not something you do easily, and that is using as well the budget cap.

"So here is the risk. Because you may not afford the right number of people simply because you need to manage extra salaries [under the budget cap]. Not an easy one."

F1 is poised for a $175m spending cap per year in 2021, which Binotto says is still "very high for small teams" while admitting the big teams may overspend in the next two years to make up for its impact in advance.

The growing F1 calendar also carries with it a likely reduction in pre-season testing days, with a revamped winter testing schedule already on the agenda for 2020.

Binotto believes, however, that slashing pre-season testing from eight days to six or five will not significantly compromise teams.

"Honestly I don't think so. [In the past] the shakedown of the new car normally was early January, then you got a couple of months before starting the season.

"Now you got two weeks and then you go straight to Australia - whatever problem you've got in the two weeks, you will not fix them for the first race.

"So I think that today that it's really a winter testing where you start to shake down your car, you will know the initial problems, you will know the initial behaviours, but you never have time to address whatever big problems you will have before the start of the season.

"That's why we are all developing internal facilities - benches, simulator, whatever it is, without waiting for track time, to get developing your car at its best, before you're starting the season."

F1 tech race: Giorgio Piola on 2019’s rear wing updates

F1 tech race: Giorgio Piola on 2019âs rear wing updates

We are already past the halfway point in the Formula 1 season, and so far we’ve seen plenty of great work done by the teams to improve their performance. As always, Giorgio Piola has kept a close eye on these improvements – so we can take a look through the story so far…

Teams have continued to exploit the transitional bounding box that exists to allow for the curvature of the rear wing endplates for 2019, with all of them using a straked design in one format or another to increase the wing's efficiency.

Renault R.S.19 rear wing

Renault R.S.19 rear wing

Renault began the season with the commonly-used hanging strakes on the outer edge of the bounding box (three in this case). However, they pushed things a stage further, creating a set of upwash winglets from the bodywork that straddles the two vertical surfaces.

Renault F1 Team R.S.19 rear wing

Renault F1 Team R.S.19 rear wing

Renault made some changes to its rear wing at the French GP, decoupling the rear strakes from the main body of the endplate and increasing their overall number. It also added some of the upwash strikes we’ve already seen on the Mercedes design.

Mercedes AMG F1 W10 rear wing

Mercedes AMG F1 W10 rear wing

Mercedes’ rear wing endplate design is a busy affair and also features three strakes on the outer boundary. It also uses three small strikes on the upper rear quarter to disperse pressure and redirect the flow.

Mercedes AMG F1 W10 rear wing detail

Mercedes AMG F1 W10 rear wing detail

Mercedes threw another sizeable update package on the W10 in Germany, front and centre of which was an interesting new rear wing endplate design. A sawtooth arrangement now populates the upper rear cutout, whilst another row of upwash strikes have been positioned ahead of the pre-existing row. These changes, along with a reshaping of the entire surface will go a long way to improving the efficiency of the wing and will likely be studied by many others on the grid now too.

Toro Rosso STR14 rear wing detail

Toro Rosso STR14 rear wing detail

To overcome some of the aerodynamic losses associated with the removal of the louvres from the regulations, Toro Rosso has innovated once more – shaping the upper front corner of the endplate.

Alfa Romeo Racing C38 rear wing detail

Alfa Romeo Racing C38 rear wing detail

Taking note of Toro Rosso’s design novelty, Alfa Romeo has since made a change to the upper corner of its endplates too.

Ferrari SF90, rear wing end plate

Ferrari SF90, rear wing end plate

Ferrari’s rear wing endplate strake design is a little more expansive than some of the others, with the Scuderia opting to split into seven separate sections. You’ll also note they have the upwash strikes too.

Haas F1 Team VF-19 rear wing detail

Haas F1 Team VF-19 rear wing detail

The area on the edge of the endplates bounding box reserved for the aforementioned strake designs is clearly one that can be exploited for aerodynamic gain, seeing as everyone has opted to do so, in one form or another, and it’s not stopping there as Haas proved most recently. Its latest design is very different to the approach we’ve seen thus far, as it has opted for three sinuously-shaped inverted louvres instead.

BACK TO BUSINESS IN BELGIUM WITH VETTEL SEEKING TO BREAK DROUGHT

vettel.jpg

Sebastian Vettel returns to the scene of his last Formula 1 win at this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix and the German four-time champion will hope the Spa-Francorchamps circuit can hand him the break he needs to end a victory drought.

Vettel, winner of 52 races, has endured a year-long drought since he tasted victory at last year’s race at the legendary venue in the Ardennes.

While the 32-year-old has looked a pale shadow of the driver that won four titles in a row between 2010-13, his Ferrari team have also failed to produce a car that can match the might of dominant rivals Mercedes this season.

The Maranello-based team have struggled around twisty tracks, with Vettel finishing over a minute behind race-winner Hamilton in third at the last race in Hungary.

But Ferrari have been better suited to high-speed layouts like Spa this season.

The track that hosts Sunday’s race and Monza, where Ferrari’s home Italian Grand Prix will be held the week after, have been singled out as the two best opportunities for the team to shine.

“I think it’s more power-sensitive … but there is nothing that is given,” said Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto, whose team have not won since last October’s U.S. Grand Prix, after the race in Hungary.

“I think the situation will be different to Budapest and we will try to prepare ourselves the best to seek the first victory.”

The undulating 7km-long Spa-Francorchamps track, with its fast sweeps and flat-out blasts, is not just the longest but also among the fastest circuits on the calendar and has been a happy hunting ground for Vettel, who has won there three times.

A fourth win would see him draw level with former team-mate Kimi Raikkonen, the most successful of the current crop of drivers at Spa.

But he will first have to overcome Lewis Hamilton.

The Mercedes driver, who is also a three-time winner in Belgium, has won eight of 12 races this season and leads the overall standings by 62 points from team-mate Valtteri Bottas.

Neither the 34-year-old nor his Mercedes team, who have won 10 of the 12 races so far, will have been resting on their laurels with Sunday’s race marking Formula One’s return from its August summer shutdown.

“We’re approaching the start to the second half of 2019 more like the start to a completely new season …” said Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff. “We’re looking forward to the fight.”

Max Verstappen will be hoping to make it a three-way battle by putting his Red Bull team in the mix.

Verstappen, who can expect plenty of support from his orange-clad Dutch fans, has won two of the last four races, chalking up more points than even Hamilton since the Austrian Grand Prix at the end of June.

Still, his Honda-powered Red Bull could struggle to match Ferrari and Mercedes at the horsepower-dependent track.

The weekend could also see some driver announcements, with the futures of several drivers, including Hamilton’s Mercedes team-mate Bottas, up in the air.

Red Bull have already swapped drivers, promoting Thai rookie Alexander Albon up from sister team Toro Rosso to drive alongside Verstappen starting this weekend.

He will take Pierre Gasly’s place, with the Frenchman going back to the Italian team.

ALBON: IT’S A BIG STEP, A BIG DIFFERENCE

alex_factory.jpg

He spent his first twelve races as a Formula 1 driver with Toro Rosso existing in the shadows of the headline-grabbing Red Bull team, but now rookie Alex Albon is thrust into the bright spotlight with his promotion to teammate to Max Verstappen.

A big task awaits the 23-year-old Thai driver who has been taken from relative obscurity and in less than a year he finds himself in one of only six cars capable of winning races in the top flight.

Apart from adapting to the team, Albon will also be up against Verstappen at the height of his powers to this point – the inadvertent architect of Pierre Gasly’s downfall – who is in fine form. The first thing on the Dutchman’s agenda is sure to be showing his new teammate who’s boss in blue.

These facts do not escape Albon who said in his preview of this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix, “Not many drivers get the chance to drive a car capable of winning a race so early in their F1 career, so it’s a great opportunity to be driving for Red Bull.

“It’s a big step, a big difference, and the factory’s a lot closer to my house which is handy! We know what the car is capable of and we’ve seen what Max has been able to do this year.

“I want to see what it’s like compared to what I’m used to, but at the same time, I know this weekend is my first time in the car, I’m still learning and improving as a driver and there’s definitely more to come.

“I know one of the main differences will be the noise and attention that comes with the move but I’m keeping my feet on the ground. I’m just focusing on the job I have to do for Spa, I’ll be doing a lot of listening and observing.

“The track is cool and I think it’s one that everyone loves. It’s definitely a drivers track, it’s quick and there aren’t many run-off areas. It kind of goes back to that old school driving feeling where you really feel like you’re on the limit and you know if you make a mistake, you’re in the wall.

“That’s something that drivers crave. Spa hasn’t necessarily been that successful of a track for me, but we got podiums there in Formula 2 last year so it’s still been good. Also, you never know what’s going to happen there with the weather.

“We’ve got as much simulator prep done as we can, so now it’s about going through procedural things with the Team and getting to know everyone. It should be good!

“This is a big step, but I feel I’ve been through these big jumps before and taken the opportunities – I’m not worried about that. I’m focused and ready to be as strong as possible for the second half of the year,” added Albon who will start his 13th grand prix when he lines up on the grid for Sunday’s race at the legendary Spa-Francorchamps.

Albon will be judged from the moment he drives out on to the track this Friday for FP1, never-ending comparisons to Verstappen will be triggered from that moment on, whereupon he has to stand and deliver with nowhere to hide.

ABITEBOUL: IN 2014 ONE ERROR FOLLOWED ANOTHER AT RENAULT

14300614227_68a31e1ee0_o.jpg

Renault team boss Cyril Abiteboul has admitted that the French team messed up its start to the current ‘power unit’ era, from which they have never really recovered to challenge Mercedes who have excelled during this period.

The French marque is still recovering, but now with its works team, a big step was made over the last winter period. Daniel Ricciardo is at the wheel in 2019 and a key focus is on improving the chassis, which is designed at Enstone.

Back in 2014, though, for the start of the current turbo V6 era, Renault only supplied engines. It had four clients: the two Red Bull teams, Lotus and Caterham.

Then, Frenchman Abiteboul was the boss at Caterham (pictured above) having quit Renault to join the green-coloured Formula 1 team.

“At the start of 2014 one error followed another,” he is quoted by the Dutch publication Formule 1. “I was a Renault customer myself and I can tell you that they were really behind when it came to understanding the concept and the development of the engine.”

He had left Renault in late 2012, sensing that the French marque was “going in the wrong direction” with development of the all-new V6 power unit.

“We did not invest enough or hire the right people in time. We were so fixated on the V8 engine that we simply forgot about the future. That was a big mistake,” Abiteboul said.

After his Caterham adventure, Abiteboul returned to Renault where he took the helm of the then struggling engine supplier. By late 2015, Renault announced that it had bought Lotus and would operate as a works team for 2016 onwards.

It was by then that Red Bull’s thorny relationship with Renault had started to foul completely.

“I understood their frustrations to a certain extent,” Abiteboul says when asked about Red Bull. “By then, Red Bull was used to success, but it ended for them, but criticising in the media doesn’t solve anything at all.

“Eventually it reached a point where it was not only criticism of our product, but also of the Renault brand. For us, that went too far,” said Abiteboul who also once blamed the woes of the team on Flavio Briatore who led the team a decade ago.

FERRARI INCREASE INVESTMENT IN TEAM FOR THE FUTURE

ferrari-badge.jpg

Ferrari CEO Louis Camilleri is “increasing investments” into the Maranello marque’s Formula 1 team for the future.

That is the news of the authoritative Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera, as Ferrari prepares to tackle the forthcoming two high-speed circuits at Spa and Monza.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff thinks the red cars will be highly competitive at those circuits, thanks to a “very strong engine and less drag”.

Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto said on Tuesday: “We are more motivated than ever to do well in the second part of the season, starting right now this weekend.”

And that motivation is also intact for 2020 and 2021, with Corriere della Sera revealing that CEO Camilleri is determined to tackle certain areas where Ferrari has fallen behind.

“Among the priorities is the simulator, as the current one is ten years old,” said correspondent Daniele Sparisci. “And some engineers specialising in vehicle dynamics and tyre management will also come, while some have already arrived.”

The report said top designer Simone Resta will then rejoin Ferrari in November following his brief stint at Alfa Romeo, where he will head the 2021 project for the new rules.

Max Verstappen reckons RB15 can do Pouhon flat-out

Pouhon corner at Spa, F1

Red Bull Racing's Max Verstappen has hinted that the famous Pouhon corner at the Spa-Francorchamps Formula 1 circuit could be taken flat-out in the RB15 this season.

The final part of qualifying for the 2018 running of the Belgian Grand Prix was spoilt by inclement weather, but Dutchman felt it was close to being full throttle if the track was dry.

Despite the technical regulation changes in 2019, laptime records are still being broken, suggesting Verstappen's prediction could be proved correct.

"Spa is my favourite circuit on the calendar, so a great one to start the second half of the season with. There are a lot of long straights and it’s always a good challenge to find the best possible compromise for the straights and the corners.

"You don’t particularly run a lot of downforce at Spa but the fast corners are very impressive and a lot of fun.

"Pouhon was close to flat last year so it will be good to see what we can do there in the RB15. I also like that there aren’t too many slow-speed corners and you can keep up the momentum all the way around the track."

Verstappen is also buoyed by recent chassis updates to the car as well as improvements from power unit supplier Honda.

He will also be joined by new team-mate Alexander Albon from Toro Rosso with Pierre Gasly moving in the opposite direction.

"I’m definitely ready to get back in the car and looking forward to seeing how competitive the second half of the season can be for us."

Nico Hulkenberg: Next two races 'make or break' for Renault

Nico Hulkenberg

Renault's Nico Hulkenberg says after a "disappointing" start to the season, the next two races are "make or break" for the French manufacturer.

Renault's target of closing the gap to the frontrunners this season has failed to materialise and in fact the team has dropped down the order, falling behind customer team McLaren which leads the midfield charge.

McLaren's points tally of 82 is more than double Renault's, which sits sixth in the standings behind Toro Rosso and just ahead of Alfa Romeo.

Hulkenberg says the time off over the summer was a welcome break for the team which failed to score in the last two races and were particularly disappointing for the German racer, who looked set to finish on the podium in Germany had he not crashed out.

"The break certainly came at a welcome time for us after a disappointing July," said Hulkenberg. "We know the season has fallen below our expectations so far and it’s up to us now to ensure we recover it for the remainder of the year.

"I relaxed a little, recharged the batteries on a boat in Croatia. But now it’s time to get going again and I’m ready for the challenge. These next two back-to-back races are almost a make or break for our season. We have to be on it."

Team-mate Daniel Ricciardo insists the team has the ability to perform better, but needs a clean weekend to prove that.

"It’s been a challenging season so far, we can’t hide from that," added the Australian. "There have been some positives, some things not so good, so the summer break was ideal for us.

"It was nice to take some time off, have a holiday in Los Angeles, and not think too much about racing. It was the same for the team, so hopefully we’re all feeling refreshed now.

"We’re targeting a better second-half of the season to catch our competitors. I know we can do it, we just need cleaner weekends."

Sainz doubts virtual racing at home benefits F1 rivals

Sainz doubts virtual racing at home benefits F1 rivals

McLaren driver Carlos Sainz believes there is no real benefit from spending as much time sim racing at home as his Formula 1 teammate Lando Norris does.

Briton Norris is renowned for the amount of time he spends in his home simulator, revealing he had learned about Red Bull driver Max Verstappen's approach to racing from competing online with the Dutchman.

The two F1 rivals have even teamed up for a number of high-profile online events, and have won the iRacing 24 Hours of Spa earlier this year.

While Sainz says he spends "plenty" of time in the McLaren simulator, the Spaniard doesn't feel Norris's extra time driving at home gives him an edge in the real car.

"I do plenty of simulator at the factory but the rest I try to spend a lot of time outdoors. I'm an outdoors guy and I enjoy a lot driving real cars, like rally cars," Sainz told Motorsport.com.

"If they would benefit from it, then Lando would be quicker in the simulator in McLaren than me. But he's not. So I don't think they benefit from it."

Sainz reckons five-time world champion Lewis Hamilton, who is not a fan of using simulators or doing track walks before a race weekend, is the perfect example of how extra time in the simulator is not necessarily beneficial.

"I haven't seen anything from Lando that I haven't seen from Lewis. That doesn't explain time in a simulator, If you know what I mean," Sainz added.

"I think Lewis is a good example of… he just comes here and drive and then the rest of his life he does something completely different, and he's a good as Lando or Max or even better."

Norris admitted he is now unable to spend as much time in his home sim as before given his busy schedule.

"A lot less now than what I used to. Even when I'm home, I still don't spend as much time on my simulator as I used to, more because I'm driving now more than ever - or maybe not ever, but compared to last year at least.

"Now when I'm home, as much as I still drive on my sim, it's even nicer to not be driving on it and just have days when you do nothing."

HAMILTON: I COME BACK FOCUSED WITH WORK TO DO

hamilton-2019.jpg

Lewis Hamilton would be forgiven a spring in his step when he arrived at Spa-Francorchamps fired up for the second half of the season, but despite his mammoth lead in the title race remains wary in his quest for a sixth Formula 1 World Championship.

Ahead of Round 13 of the 21-round championship, Hamilton has a lead 62 points to his Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas and 69 points up on Red Bull’s Max Verstappen while Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel is 94 adrift.

Nevertheless, Hamilton is taking nothing for granted and told reporters at Spa, “I didn’t go into it thinking ‘okay, I’ve got this gap, I can enjoy it more. I was going to have a good time whatever the case and make sure I come back focused.”

“I know how much work I’ve still got to do, If I don’t turn up this weekend or the following ones, if I don’t deliver in these next races and [if I] make mistakes, I could easily lose the championship.

“There are points available to turn the tables so I just stay focused as I have been in the past. I really do come back into this second half, like each year, and there are areas I really want to improve on whilst not letting the other areas drop. I truly believe I can do that. Time will tell.”

As for his adversaries, Hamilton pointed out, “It could be either [Valtteri or Max] as main rival. Max is catching up and getting quite close on points [to Bottas], and they’ve got a couple of tracks which should be really strong for them, but they might continue to be really strong for the rest of the year, like at the end of last year. I see them being very much a threat throughout the rest of the season.”

News broke today that Bottas has been retained by Mercedes to continue alongside Hamilton, which put an end to speculation that the Finn would be replaced by Renault bound Mercedes protege Esteban Ocon.

Hamilton explained, “I think Valtteri, now this break – which I’m sure was quite stressful for him, not knowing whether he’s signing or not – is out of the way, he can focus on being the best he can be so I know he’ll come here, and into the second half, very strong.

“You have to look at all the possibilities so, of course, it is still possible. But not’s something I try and worry myself about.

“It’s possible for Valtteri to still win the title. I don’t know how far back it goes, but I’ve just got to focus on trying to deliver every weekend.”

At the power-hungry Spa circuit Mercedes may find a stern challenge not only from Red Bull but also Ferrari are known to have a useful troop of horses buried on the power unit bolted to the SF90 and Last year’s winner Sebastian Vettel will be eager for a repeat to end the victory drought that has plagued him since then.

For these reasons Hamilton is wary of his rivals ahead of not only in Belgium but also next weekend’s Italian Grand Prix, “It’s going to be a real difficult two races. We’ve got a good car but you’ve seen throughout the year that the Ferraris are particularly quick on the straights, they’re going to be a formidable force this weekend and I think their car will work really well here.”

• Like 1

GASLY: IT WAS KIND OF A SHOCK THAT IT HAPPENED

gasly-seat-fitting-2019-toro-rosso-spa.jpg

Pierre Gasly admitted he was shocked when he received a morning call from Red Bull driver boss Helmut Marko informing him that he was being demoted back to Toro Rosso and replaced by rookie Alex Albon as from this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix.

After familiarising himself with the Toro Rosso pit garage that is set to be his home for the next nine races, the Frenchman spoke about the call he received from Marko with the news, “It was at 8.42. It was the morning… And yeah, of course it was kind of a shock that it happened, as it was not what I had been told before Budapest. I think everything was pretty clear and discussed over the last few weeks.”

“Whether I understand it or not, it’s not going to change it, I didn’t spend too much time thinking about it, so the only thing I need to focus on is performing in these nine coming races with Toro Rosso at my best, and this is what I’m going to focus on.”

Gasly also refused to delve into the factors that led to his shortcomings against Max Verstappen in the sister car, “I think there are many but that should stay internally, that shouldn’t be discussed right now.

“For sure, overall there were many things that were going in the right way even though we still had a few issues. Things could have gone better, now I think it’s no point discussing about it and I don’t really want to talk about it because it’s over.”

He also revealed that his return to his alma mater has meant a readjustment to the ‘new’ environment after 12 races with Red Bull, “Everything feels different. In the last seven or eight years I’ve never been more than one year in the same team.

“You always need to adapt, there will be new things, the factory at the beginning of the week was quite hectic… to get up to speed as fast as possible,” he said.

While the demotion is a huge blow to his aspirations to secure a seat with Red Bull for the future, the door still remains ajar for the Frenchman should his replacement fail.

For now, his job is too partner Daniil Kvyat in the Red Bull junior team, regain the form he showed last year and rebuild his downtrodden confidence, he acknowledged, “That’s the only thing I can do, there is no point of talking or explaining stuff that happened; it happened. Things are being discussed with Red Bull and the only thing I want to focus on is performing on track.”

RENAULT: VERY HAPPY TO WORK WITH ESTEBAN FOR NEXT TWO SEASONS

ocon-3.jpg

Renault F1 Team is pleased to confirm Esteban Ocon will join forces with Daniel Ricciardo from 2020. The French-Australian duo will be tasked with continuing the team’s progress during its fifth season in F1.

Twenty-two-year-old Esteban, from Normandy, France, will join Renault F1 Team on a multiple year contract. The Frenchman is well known to Renault and Enstone, having been Renault reserve driver in 2016 and also a Lotus junior programme member.

Esteban made his F1 race debut mid-2016 with Manor Racing, before moving to Sahara Force India F1 Team in 2017. In his first full season in the sport, he notched up 87 points and a very commendable eighth in the drivers’ championship. In 2018, Esteban added a further 49 points to his F1 tally before joining Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team as reserve driver for the 2019 season.

Esteban’s CV in the junior formula is just as notable, with the 2015 GP3 series title and 2014 FIA European Formula 3 title to his name, plus numerous victories in Formula Renault.

Cyril Abiteboul, Team Principal Renault F1 Team: “We are very happy to work with Esteban for the next two seasons. Over his F1 career Esteban has experienced the highs and lows of the sport, and fully understood the need to seize every possible chance. In addition to lending his natural talent, Esteban’s aim will be to focus his natural energy and drive, both of which have been intensified by a year away from racing. It is then up to us to infuse them into the next phase of the team’s progress.

“He has shown his ability to score points, has great professionalism on and off the track, plus his recent experience as reserve driver to the current world champions will be a valuable asset to the development of our entire team.

“I wish to thank Nico for his phenomenal involvement and massive contribution to our progress over the past three seasons. When Nico decided to join us, the team was ninth. He brought us to fourth place last year, and was classified seventh in the drivers’ championship. The imminent end of his contract made this decision a difficult one as Nico has been a pillar of this progress. The first part of this season has been more challenging, but I know we can count on him and deliver together throughout the second half of the year.”

Esteban Ocon: “First and foremost, I am very proud to become a Renault driver. I have grown up at Enstone, starting with Lotus in 2010 and then with Renault. I am very attached to this team and everyone who works there; they are the ones who opened the doors of top level motorsport for me.

“Secondly, I am pleased that a team with big ambitions has entrusted me with the opportunity to once again demonstrate my skills at the highest level of F1. It is a responsibility I take very seriously. The confidence they have in me to help the progression of the team is a very positive pressure and I look forward to giving the best of myself.”

BOTTAS: I AM VERY HAPPY AND PROUD TO STAY WITH MERCEDES

bottas-2020.jpg

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport today confirmed that it has exercised its option with Valtteri Bottas for the 2020 Formula 1 season.

Valtteri Bottas joined Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport in 2017 and played a key role in the team’s victory in the constructors’ championship in the past two seasons.

The 30-year-old Finn is currently second in the world championship standings on 188 points. During his two and a half seasons with the team so far, he has scored five race wins and ten pole positions.

Valtteri Bottas: “I am very happy and proud to be part of the team for a fourth season and wish to thank every team member and the board of Mercedes for their trust and belief in me.

“My performances have been getting better and better each year, and this is a great way to kick start the second half of 2019.

“My overall target is to become Formula One world champion. I believe that on paper, and from my experience with the team, Mercedes is the best option for me to achieve that goal in 2020.

“We have nine races to go this season and I am determined to keep improving at every one of them. Now, all my thoughts are on Spa and delivering a strong performance with the team this weekend.”

Toto Wolff: “For 2019, we set Valtteri the challenge of coming back even stronger than we saw him in the first part of 2018 – and he has achieved that, with some really impressive performances in the early races this year.

“Although it has been his most successful first half of a championship so far, he is hungry for more and determined to keep on improving and raising his level. That’s the mindset we want from all our team members.

“The results we have achieved together with Valtteri are no coincidence: he has been an integral part of our championship success in the past two seasons, his teamwork with Lewis has been exemplary and he has shown real strength of character in how he has responded to setbacks.

“I’m delighted that he will stay with the team for another season at least – and look forward to seeing him raise the bar even further.”

HULKENBERG: I’M CONFIDENT TO FIND A GOOD SOLUTION FOR 2020

Nico-Hulkenberg-2019-pc.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg has ended up being the odd-man-out in the game of musical chairs that resulted in Valtteri Bottas remaining at Mercedes and Esteban Ocon released by the World Champions to join Renault on a two-year deal.

Hulkenberg, who has driven for the French team since 2017, regrets the end of the road has come for him in black and yellow, but at the same time believes he has options on the F1 grid beyond this year.

The deal for Ocon to join Renault was on the cards since last year but the team managed to bag Daniel Ricciardo’s services and the young Frenchman was rendered a spectator this year, albeit form the Mercedes pit garage where team boss Toto Wolff promised their young charge a decent seat on the grid this year.

Thus it is mission accomplished at the expense of Hulkenberg who Tweeted: “It’s a pity that the journey with Renault will end after the season, especially as we haven’t been able to reach our goals yet. We had hoped to take another step forward this season but, unfortunately, we haven’t managed that so far.

“It is well known that the choice of drivers is not only about performance, it is a whole bundle of factors. But that’s the way it is. Surely we would all have liked to see it differently. Nevertheless, I’ll keep my focus and try to reach the maximum success for our team in the remaining races!

“With regard to 2020, I am confident to find a good solution, but there is nothing to announce at the moment,” added the 32-year-old German.

Despite never celebrating on an F1 podium in the 168 grand prix starts he has made since his debut at the 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix, Hulkenberg remains highly rated in the paddock.

That fact, coupled to his experience, will appeal to a number of teams on the grid who are having second thoughts about their driver or drivers for 2020.

Haas and Racing Point are two teams that spring to mind, while a return to the Williams, who handed him his F1 debut, is another option he may consider if all else fails.

And of course, there is Red Bull who are desperately seeking a second driver for their team…

MIKA: I'm saying he could probably end up at HAAS, Racing point or even Alfa... RBR is a long stretch.

RAIKKONEN: SPORT. INJURIES. GETTING OLD…

kimi-raikkonen-injury-2019.jpg

Formula 1’s grand old man Kimi Raikkonen may be forced to sit out the Belgian Grand Prix due to a sports injury incurred during the summer break which he has jokingly attributed due to age.

Although the team Tweeted that he will be in the car on Friday for free practice at Spa-Francorchamps, they have a Plan-B should the Finn’s condition not allow him to drive without pain.

When asked how he injured himself, 39-year-old replied: “Sport. Injuries. Getting old. I pulled a muscle and that’s about it. We’ll see what happens.”

“I would say it’s been getting better so we will see how it is. In my head, it should be fine but you never know. It should be OK,” added the Finn.

Plan-B should the old muscles not oblige is in place with their former driver Marcus Ericsson called in as reserve at the expense of his Indycar race this weekend at Portland where the Swede would have lined up for Arrow Schmidt Peterson, who have released him for the weekend.

At Spa-Francorchamps and Ericsson will await on how Raikkonen condition evolves between now and possibly until the start of FP2 on Friday.

Meanwhile, the team may give their former driver Ericsson a run in FP1 to reacquaint himself with the Alfa Romeo C38 while Raikkonen is afforded maximum time to heal.

The alternative is for the veteran to do FP1 and ascertain the extent of discomfort and the impact in his driving before making a call on whether Ericsson suits up for his team after a 12 race absence from the top flight.

VETTEL NEMESIS FIA STEWARD BACK ON DUTY AT SPA

SebastianVettelEuropeanSportsPicturesLHTC3qH8AE4x.jpg

Former Formula 1 driver Emanuele Pirro is making his return as an FIA steward this weekend at Spa-Francorchamps.

After Montreal in June, the former Benetton driver revealed he had to go to the police following “personal threats” made by fans of Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel.

Vettel lost his victory in Canada after the stewards there, including Pirro, controversially penalised the German for unsafely rejoining the track after an off.

“I think my life changed in Canada and it will never be like it was before,” Pirro told Italian radio Rai at the time.

But another of the Canada GP stewards, Hans-Gerd Ennser, told the German newspaper Die Welt this week that the FIA panel actually decided against also penalising Vettel for his post-race tantrum.

In parc ferme, Vettel famously swapped the number 1 and number 2 finishing markers in protest, which in theory was a protocol breach and arguably worthy of a disrepute charge.

“He was terribly angry, and when you get terribly angry you sometimes do things that you might regret the next day,” Ennser said.

“In that case you can use a bit of tact and turn a blind eye,” he added.

“We thought, because of the high emotions and the immense pressure, no further penalties should be imposed.”

• Like 1

PORSCHE REVEALS 99X FOR THEIR NEW FORMULA E ADVENTURE

porsche formula e launch3

Porsche’s 2019/20 Formula E drivers Neel Jani and Andre Lotterer took the covers of the 99X Electric ABB FIA Formula E car for its maiden season in the championship.

The drivers revealed the new car during a four-hour live launch event broadcast on Twitch from the Porsche Digital campus in Ludwigsburg.

The 99X Electric features Porsche’s familiar motorsport colours of white, black and red. It is named in Porsche’s usual fashion – with the three digits representing Porsche’s racing cars and two-door road machines.

Porsche said in a press release: “The highest number, nine, was used twice, to re-emphasise the importance of the Formula E project for Porsche, while the X stands for the forward-looking approach and prototype racing,” explained an official Porsche statement.

The team will be headed by Pascal Zurlinden, Porsche’s director of factory motorsport has joined the FE outfit in addition to his role in the marque’s works GT racing programmes.

He will work with technical chief Malte Huneke, Porsche’s head of FE operations Amiel Lindesay – previously its team manager in LMP1 in the World Endurance Championship – and Carlo Wiggers, director of team management and business relations for Porsche motorsport.

Fritz Enzinger, vice president of Porsche motorsport and group motorsport at Volkswagen AG said, “Today is an important day. With the premiere of the Porsche 99X Electric, we are taking a big step towards the Porsche works entry in Formula E.

porsche formula e launch

“I am really proud of our team, which has shown a high level of commitment to the Formula E project. Now I am looking forward to seeing the Porsche 99X Electric on the racetrack.”

Zurlinden added: “Today sees the Porsche 99X Electric join the list of historic Porsche motorsport cars. The naming and the design give the car its initial character and bring it to life. It is a special day for everyone who has put a lot of work into the Porsche Formula E project in recent months.”

Porsche has been prepping for Formula E programme in the wake of pulling out of the WEC at the end of 2017, having rolled out their development car at its Weissach base earlier this year with testing at the Calafat and Mallorca circuits in Spain.

These were initially carried out by Jani and development driver Brendon Hartley who joined Dragon for the 2019/20 season after Porsche opted for Lotterer from DS Techeetah.

The team has one final session of private testing ahead of the three days of official Formula E pre-season testing in Valencia, set for October.

TAG Heuer and Porsche entered a long-term agreement for their Formula E engagement, as the Swiss luxury watchmaker becomes Title and Timing Partner. The Porsche works entry into the ABB FIA Formula E Championship 2019/2020 will be under the name of TAG Heuer Porsche Formula E Team.

Detlev von Platen (Member of the Executive Board for Sales and Marketing, Porsche AG): “Long-standing tradition, highest precision and technical innovation has always been common values for Porsche and TAG Heuer. The ABB FIA Formula E Championship is the perfect platform for both companies to create the future of motorsports. I am convinced that the partnership with TAG Heuer will be another great example for team successes in motorsport.”

porsche formula e launch2

Stéphane Bianchi (CEO of LVMH Watch making division and CEO of TAG Heuer): “We are truly honored to begin our partnership with Porsche, a move which further strengthens our presence in Formula E. Beyond sharing the same passion for motorsport and having the same challenger spirit, our two brands have the same uncompromising love for quality and technology. TAG Heuer is looking forward to supporting the team on its journey into Formula E and the upcoming races.”

Michael Steiner (Member of the Executive Board for Research and Development, Porsche AG): “Porsche and TAG Heuer both look back on a successful history in motorsport. We are very proud of having TAG Heuer on board as Title and Timing Partner on Porsche’s work entry into the world’s first electric street racing series. We can’t wait to be writing a new chapter as TAG Heuer Porsche Formula E Team in the ABB FIA Formula E Championship.”

Frédéric Arnault (Chief Strategy and Digital Officer, TAG Heuer): “This partnership with Porsche demonstrates our ongoing commitment and support for Formula E, to which we were a founding partner. Innovation has always been at the core of the TAG Heuer brand and this partnership with Porsche’s new team will enable us to continue bringing to life our ambition to create new and experimental innovations within motorsport.”

Fritz Enzinger (Vice President Porsche Motorsport and Group Motorsport Volkswagen AG): “We are delighted to welcome TAG Heuer again at Porsche Motorsport. Looking back on our successful history, both brands will build on former achievements for this new era in Formula E. It is exciting times that we join our forces again and that together our huge passion for motorsport continues to be alive. We are counting the days for our first race as TAG Heuer Porsche Formula E Team in November this year.”

MIKA: I'm not a Formula E fan myself, but it's interesting to see Porsche enter FE and not F1, it says a lot on how mega companies now see the future, proably due to the state of Formula 1 in it's current scope. On a side note, Zak Brown would be crying over a steak sandwich looking at all that sponsorship branding, half of which used to be McLaren's!

PLAN-B FOR LEWIS COULD BE TO BECOME BURGER KING

neatburger-venueshot-001.jpg

Lewis Hamilton has entered into a partnership with UNICEF Ambassador Tommaso Chiabra as a backer of Beyond Meat – the force behind the start-up vegan burger chain Neat Burger.

Announcing the venture they stated: “Neat Burger promises to transform the way people see plant-based food by appealing not only to those who follow plant-based diets, but any individuals – meat-eaters included – who want delicious meat-free dishes that are more sustainable, healthier and ethical.

“With its first outlet opening just off Regent Street, the team has ambitious plans to expand the concept globally with 14 franchises scheduled in the next 24 months.”

Vegan Curious reports: “What you will be eating is basically Beyond Meat patties which have been souped up by Neat’s team of chefs. The menu will consist of three, core burgers – ‘The Neat,’ ‘The Cheese’ and ‘The Chick’n’, as well as ‘The Hot Dog,’ with sides including skinny fries, sweet potato fries and tater tots.”

Chiabra said of the project: “The meat industry is the biggest contributor to greenhouse emissions and its environmental impact is no longer sustainable together with the growth of the population. Neat Burger aims to disrupt the non-sustainable food industry and become a force for good”

Hamilton added: “I’m very passionate about being kinder to our world and also really respect Neat Burger’s commitment to more ethical practices and supporting small businesses, so this is something I’m also really proud to support.”

The five-time F1 World Champion has interests in fashion as well as a soft spot for music.

F1 teams agree to cut pre and in-season testing for 2020

Pre-season F1 testing has been cut to six days

Formula 1 teams have reportedly agreed to massively cut pre and in-season testing for the 2020 season.

Recently teams have conducted eight days of pre-season testing split across two tests and have had between two and three in-season tests, however from next season this will be reduced by more than half, with the in-season tests scrapped entirely.

Pre-season testing will be cut to six days, with two three-day tests on February 19-21 and 26-28.

There will however be one additional day added to the post-season test in Abu Dhabi, where teams will get to try out Pirelli's 18-inch 2021 tyres using mule cars. This test is usually two days, but will now be three with two of those days reserved for 'young drivers'.

All ten teams reportedly backed the proposal, with Haas team boss Guenther Steiner saying it's a good idea which ten years ago wouldn't have been possible.

"Less testing, we all agreed on it, we all think it's a good idea," he said. "If you would have asked 10 years ago doing six days a year was workable, I would say it's impossible.

"Now it's possible. We've gone from eight days pre-season and four days in-season to six days and no days. We will survive."

Romain Grosjean rules out future IndyCar move due to oval fears

jm1901au90.jpg

Romain Grosjean has ruled out a future switch to the NTT IndyCar Series due to a fear of racing on ovals.

Grosjean is currently facing scrutiny over his future at the Haas Formula 1 team after another season of lacklustre results, not helped by the confusion over the development of the VF-19 chassis.

Oval circuits, especially superspeedways, have a high rate of crashes, many of which have proven fatal or resulted in serious injury. 

When asked if he would consider other categories away from F1, Grosjean said: “Formula E could be one, yes. It's a nice championship, and obviously very, very different from Formula 1, but quite competitive and with some good constructors coming in which is always exciting, and maybe one or two others.

He added: “Not IndyCar. I'm too scared of ovals.”

The Frenchman also ruled out running a non-oval programme, saying: “Yeah, but then you cannot be champion. That's already been happening a lot in Formula 1 because you don't have the right car, so if you go somewhere else, it's to try to be champion.”

Former F1 driver Max Chilton who currently drives for Carlin pulled out of oval races earlier in the season over fears of safety.

Chilton hinted he could return to ovals when IndyCar introduces the aeroscreen device for the 2020 season.

He said in June: “I would like to thank Gallagher for being supportive of my decision to not compete in the remaining oval races this season – I am extremely fortunate to have such a supportive partner.

“Risk Management is a central consideration of both Gallagher and myself in how we operate.

“I’m excited and pleased by the outstanding proactive work being done by IndyCar around driver safety and the innovation of the solution developed in partnership with Red Bull Advanced Technologies that has created a new aero screen.”

“The innovative solution will be the most advanced single-seater driver head protection in the world and will be introduced in 2020.

In the past decade, we have lost two drivers in Dan Wheldon who died in Las Vegas in 2011 and Justin Wilson in 2015 at Pocono Raceway after being hit in the head by a piece of debris from Sage Karam's crashed car.

We have also seen numerous high-profile incidents from the likes of series regulars Scott Dixon, Will Power, Helio Castroneves, and two very serious crashes from Sebastien Bourdais which left him out for six months in 2017.

IndyCar rookie Robert Wickens was left partially paralysed in 2018 after a severe crash at Pocono but continues to recover through rehabilitation.

MIKA: Romain is clearly scared of ovals considering he can barely drive a straight line without crashing. I feel he has done a great service to the safety of others. ;) 

• Like 1

Mercedes to run power unit update at Belgian GP

M207178%20(Custom).jpg

Mercedes, along with customer teams Racing Point and Williams, will run a new phase power unit at this weekend’s Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix.

It is the second substantial update for Mercedes this season, after bringing its previous specification to the Canadian Grand Prix in June.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff revealed earlier in the week that staff at its Brixworth factory had been working through the summer break in order to find gains, and they have been brought to Spa-Francorchamps.

“Works teams and customers planned to run a new phase PU, barring any unexpected surprises between now and practice,” confirmed a Mercedes spokesperson.

“Testing at the factory has shown improved performance and reliability.”

Mercedes, along with Williams, are within their allocation of components for 2019 but Racing Point’s Lance Stroll is poised for a grid drop; he was left out-of-sequence in the wake of the failure he suffered during practice in Canada.

Mercedes is the second manufacturer to bring an engine update to this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix, with Honda fitting Spec 4 to Alexander Albon’s Red Bull and Daniil Kvyat’s Toro Rosso.

It means both drivers will take on a grid penalty.

Racing Point reveals all-new nose design for Spa

Racing Point reveals all-new nose design for Spa

Racing Point has overhauled its distinctive front-end design for a more conventional nose ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix, abandoning its previous nostril design.

In its former Force India guise, the team pioneered a distinctive nostril design in the nose to improve airflow underneath the chassis. This was first seen on the B-spec version of the 2015 car, and has been carried forward in varying configurations in the intervening years.

Now, the team has decided to drop the nostrils for a front end more consistent with those already on the grid, retaining the extended ‘thumb tip’ crash structure. This pairs up with a new pair of mounting pylons featuring three slots fitting into a small ridge, not dissimilar to Ferrari’s current pylon design.

The new nose is not the first change in concept that Racing Point has run with in 2019, having debuted a different design in Canada, in which the bottom bounding of each ‘nostril’ was moved further up to accommodate a cape section underneath. However, the newest concept dispenses with the cape, suggesting that it benefits from a reduced level of lift following the nostrils’ disappearance.

Racing Point RP19 front detail

There are further front-end changes to the RP19 this weekend, and the team has added a pair of fins further up the nose (above). Attached to the forwardmost point of the chassis bulkhead, these fins promote a small degree of downwash, assisting with airflow management as the nose transitions into the chassis. 

These seem to bring airflow over the top of pushrod pick-up points, sending it down towards the bargeboards.

Further front-end changes at Belgium included Red Bull (below), which has once more brought back the nose configuration it used in Monaco. This dispensed with the snorkel concept which, similarly to Racing Point’s nostrils, assisted with bringing airflow underneath the car.

Red Bull Racing RB15, front wing detail

F1 drivers warned over corner-cutting at Raidillon

F1 drivers warned over corner-cutting at Raidillon

Formula 1 drivers have been told that practice laptimes, as well as qualifying efforts, will be deleted if they are found to have abused track limits at Spa-Francorchamp's Raidillon corner.
The FIA has been tough on drivers trying to straight-line the track at the top of Eau Rouge, and a detection loop was brought into play a few years ago to help better police matters.

Ahead of the Belgian GP, F1 race director Michael Masi issued revised event notes that confirmed that lap times in practice as well as qualifying would now be erased.

He wrote: "A laptime achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track and cutting behind the apex of Turn 4, as judged by the detection loop in this location, will be invalidated by the stewards.

"On the third occasion of a driver cutting behind the apex of Turn 4 during the race, he will be shown a black and white flag, any further cutting will then be reported to the stewards.

"Each time any car cuts behind the apex, teams will be informed via the official messaging system."

The only circumstance under which a driver will not be punished is if the FIA judges that he was forced off the track – but this will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Masi's revised event notes also eased off on an original plan to punish any driver who crossed the red/white/green chevrons that separate the pit entry and the track.