ROTT vs. a few months age (does it really help?)

10 minutes ago, PigFish said:

... since we are all picking things apart here.

I simply don't think that one cigar sample leads to any conclusive data about the remainder of cigars...! So I don't really follow the 'cigar baseline' theory...

I get ya, Ray.  That's a huge item on it's own - the variability, different brands / marcas, different formats / vitolas, etc., etc., etc.

I just meant in a kind of simplified manner.  The OP is asking about a very basic / foundational question as it solely relates to ROTT / short-term aging.  So, my thought / example for a tasting sample is just meant to be a very basic / foundational answer perhaps, gleaned from the OP's own palate, as to the "cigar baseline" for THAT cigar, from THAT production grouping / box code, for HIM, and he/she can then use it as a baseline moving forward with experimenting with the same with other cigars then.

• Like 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am one such person as indicated above. Some of us are 'water content' conscience, and frankly most people store cigars wetter than I prefer. A cigar smoked soon after leaving the possession of

Cigars are typically kept at a higher RH to protect them from damage. (Drier is more delicate.) They may also be shipped with a moisture pack - often a Boveda 69%. Many of us prefer to smoke our cigar

"Travel shock" - cigars in transit can be subjected to heat or cold, releasing moisture or absorbing it, leaves expanding and/or contracting. At least 3 months in your humidor, will stabilize these ci

15 minutes ago, PigFish said:

One thing about cigars acquired from others. They are not acclimatized to your taste IN MOST CASES. Therefore an acclimatization period is potential reward for zero risk.

Sure, but it is a difference whether we are talking of full boxes or single sticks. It doesn't take me more than a week to bring a cigar to +/- fair smoking-moisture conditions so that I can sample it.

That's actually my personal definition of ROTT.... I never smoke directly from a fresh/new box (apart from sticks bought from my B&M who stores at about my own prefered conditions), nor directly from a tubo. 5 days to a week needed minimum.

57 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Sure, but it is a difference whether we are talking of full boxes or single sticks. It doesn't take me more than a week to bring a cigar to +/- fair smoking-moisture conditions so that I can sample it.

That's actually my personal definition of ROTT.... I never smoke directly from a fresh/new box (apart from sticks bought from my B&M who stores at about my own prefered conditions), nor directly from a tubo. 5 days to a week needed minimum.

... I think your tastes are in question... ! -LOL (read with levity)

-R

• Like 1