H Upmann Magnum 50, BUM DIC14 : Ode to the 47 to 52 gauge review week.

Ok first off since I have a 6th grade sense of humor, I giggle every time i open this box.

Now that I got that out of the way, onto the cigar, and man is the Mag50 an interesting cigar.  Despite sharing a bready texture/flavor with the Magnum 46, they are so different.  The Magnum 46 is the loud angry drunk at the bar ready to pick a fight with you.  The Magnum 50 is just seductive.

The wrapper was thing, oily and silky smooth to the touch.  The smoke output was fantastic, oily and long lasting flavor, but the burn was perfect.  It didn't take me on a journey though as there was only one transition at about the halfway point.  The first half of the cigar was dominated by a doughy bread flavor mixed with some black pepper, spice and leather.  The final half lost the leather but picked up some earth.

Overall it lasted just under an hour and a half.  I'd rate it a 93/100.  This is my third cigar from this box and I don't see this box improving drastically.  That's not to say that the cigar is disappointing, far from it in fact, but I don't see any signs of evolution through aging that this could get to a 95/6+ cigar.  I can handle an A- any day of the week though.

IMG_20170531_161555793.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

It seems the Magnum 50 doesn't get the same amount of love the Magnum 46 does. Thanks for reviewing this cigar.

True, and lucky for me that's the case. Mag50 is one of my absolute favorite smokes, and 2014 and 2015 were absolutely stellar years for it, IMO. I absolutely love the sweet woody creaminess of it, and much prefer it to the woodier and somewhat spicier Mag46.

• Like 1