San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe SINGLE: Ode to the 40 and 42 gauge review week

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

Dimensions: 42 x 4 3/8"

Box Code: Unknown

Date Purchased: April 17, 2017

Date Smoked: April 30, 2017

This was my first foray into this marca. I've been curious about the basic profile of SCdlH recently; churchills are my preferred vitola, and there are fewer and fewer to choose from these days. (Thanks to @JohnS for affirming this point).

But I occasionally see boxes of El Morro pop up, so I found myself motivated to start exploring SCdlH, just in case I'm ever tempted into a box of discontinued churchills.

Appearance and Aroma: This is an attractive and obviously well-constructed cigar with a neat, square triple cap. The wrapper is a rich colorado with a medium tooth and a few large veins. The cold aroma is mild, just a bit peppery but generally unremarkable.

20170517_092816.thumb.jpg.3b7a783231caf08993f53cdc297b0510.jpg

First Third:  It lights readily and produces an even burn and a flaky gray ash. Right away, there's a rich leather and sea salt profile, with just a bit of a malty note, and a toasted aroma. The ash holds specs of white, which I usually associate with a wrapper that I like.

Second Third: The depth of the leather profile deepens in the second half and the malty note recurs in the aroma. At this stage, the flavors are deepening and becoming richer, but not necessarily evolving. 

591c503a38eb4_ScdlHElPrincipe.thumb.jpg.f2f4368cfcd05dd389eca0d2804504eb.jpg

Final Third: The profile continues apace, still with not much change in the flavors, but it does finish with just a hint of candy sweetness. Beverage pairing was with a Vienna roast coffee with cream, which seemed to work well. Although if there were any coffee bean notes in the smoke, they were likely masked by the actual coffee.

This consistency isn't a bad thing, since the leather and salt profile is one that I enjoy a lot; there may just not be enough length here to get any real evolution. It's certainly an appealing DNA, assuming it's basically consistent across vitolas in this line. I'm certainly interested enough to seek out some others!

Score: 93