Stock Quality Overview

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We (Greg and I) had a couple of good days in the warehouse. It is certainly easier to get through the volume of boxes when you have an exacting extra set of eyes/hands. Greg has had some good training

Hate the forecast, but appreciate the honesty.  

A couple of items. First, kudos to our host for his honest evaluation. He is not a guy telling you that mold is plume! For those newer to the interest. Wrapper appearance may be important to many

1 minute ago, PigFish said:

... on a further note.

Did both cigars taste like a Mag 46? At what point does a Mag 46 not taste like a Mag 46?

Is a Mag 46 a refined cigar, or a robust cigar, or is it both?

Cheers! -Piggy

Ray,

This is of course exactly the point. Both tasted like Mag46 to me. One more on the powerful and one on the more refined end of the spectrum, but not outside my abitrary norm of what a Hupmann Mag46 should taste like  

They didn't come from the same box so for all scientific intents and purposes all bets are off of course. 

It was to me a nice illustration of the difference between a more maduro and a more claro Mag46.

I didn't take any pictures of the foot or the binder. However the feet smelled similar with some difference in strenght. 

Take from this anecdote what you will. 

As always a cigar is an individual product and I am not too worried about this variance. 

Take care my friend,

Michel

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RijkdeGooier said:

Ray,

This is of course exactly the point. Both tasted like Mag46 to me. One more on the powerful and one on the more refined end of the spectrum, but not outside my abitrary norm of what a Hupmann Mag46 should taste like  

They didn't come from the same box so for all scientific intents and purposes all bets are off of course. 

It was to me a nice illustration of the difference between a more maduro and a more claro Mag46.

I didn't take any pictures of the foot or the binder. However the feet smelled similar with some difference in strenght. 

Take from this anecdote what you will. 

As always a cigar is an individual product and I am not too worried about this variance. 

Take care my friend,

Michel

Cigar smoking appears to me at least as life-long culmination of anecdotal findings! They all add up to a pile of ash in the end.

In many ways I find myself criticizing myself here. The cigar as an end product is the antithesis of analysis. It is a thing of pleasure. My personal spin is to analyze. Frankly, I find reviewing, the analysis of a cigar while smoking, largely an experience that ruins the 'enjoyment' of a cigar. I enjoy cigars more when I don't overthink them.

Blogging on the other hand, and the discussion of cigars is analytic in nature. I enjoy both, so I am therefore stuck in a paradox. Thanks for playing along.

Cheers mate! -R

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Cigar smoking appears to me at least as life-long culmination of anecdotal findings! They all add up to a pile of ash in the end.

In many ways I find myself criticizing myself here. The cigar as an end product is the antithesis of analysis. It is a thing of pleasure. My personal spin is to analyze. Frankly, I find reviewing, the analysis of a cigar while smoking, largely an experience that ruins the 'enjoyment' of a cigar. I enjoy cigars more when I don't overthink them.

Blogging on the other hand, and the discussion of cigars is analytic in nature. I enjoy both, so I am therefore stuck in a paradox. Thanks for playing along.

Cheers mate! -R

Ray,

In this aspect we seem to share some characteristics. 

Enjoyment and analysis are usually not compatible. 

Furthermore, any real scientific analysis regarding CC's with a view to the future is relatively pointless for more than a rough guidance, given the variance in tobacco growing, crops, production, etc, etc. 

So just enjoy your cigars I know I do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RijkdeGooier said:

The two Mag46 I smoked side by side. They were the same cigar no doubt but it was also clear the darker one had more power and the lighter one was a bit more refined.

Like Piggy, I don't have the slightest doubt in what you're saying, Gooier. I've made the same observations - as much as I could say that about the exact opposite! In particular for the Mag46.

Among the most powerful cigars I have ever smoked have come from a box of claro Party 898, or some light-coloured SS1. Even remember a Choix with a yellowish pale wrapper (yes - the disgusting ones that make you yuck...), and this in a marca that is generally being classified on the lighter side of the spectrum... . For an extremely mild and smooth cigar on the other hand comes to mind a "dark & oily" EL Grand Epicure.

The EL range actually is a very good example for this debate, as there, you got full-bodied powerhouse releases as well as light and smooth (even to almost bland) cigars, all basically with very similar wrappers.

As I said, this is just the essence of my own experience over the years - the mileage of others might vary.

• Like 2

After some reflection, I just remebered that there exist a series from La Aurora - Preferidos. 

Six wonderf perfectos in shiny tubes, which are exactly the same cigars except for the wrapper leaf. 

"Welcome. If you prefer to use the desktop site, click here or use the link at the bottom of the page.

La Aurora Preferidos Treasures Tubes 
Brand: La Aurora

Quite possibly one of the best samplers, ever.

A picture of loyalty and quality since 1903, La Aurora is the oldest brand from the Dominican Republic. Over time, the blend has been perfected to a cigar that today’s smokers, like smokers of the past, often find second to none. Grown in the same fields, deep in the rich valleys of Cibao for nearly 4 generations, the La Aurora factory, run by Guillermo Leon, has become the pride of the Dominican. This factory produces some of the most exquisite cigars that the world has to offer, with the Preferidos being the 'creme de la creme'. Masterfully rolled into gorgeous perfecto shapes, then beautifully packaged in shimmering metal tubes, the Preferidos truly are a sign of pure perfection, and this is all before lighting it up. But don't worry, this rich, Dominican is a great gift or special occasion sampler that will surely please any distinguished smoker.

Sampler Includes:
- 1 La Aurora Preferidos Emerald Tubo - Sun Grown
- 1 La Aurora Preferidos Gold Tubo - Corojo
- 1 La Aurora Preferidos Ruby Tubo - Maduro
- 1 La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire Tubo - Connecticut
- 1 La Aurora Preferidos Platinum Tubos - Cameroon
- 1 La Aurora Preferidos Black Tubos - Broadleaf"

This series seem to indicate a fairly significant influence of wrapper on the cigar. 

1 hour ago, RijkdeGooier said:

After some reflection, I just remebered that there exist a series from La Aurora - Preferidos. 

Six wonderf perfectos in shiny tubes, which are exactly the same cigars except for the wrapper leaf. 

This series seem to indicate a fairly significant influence of wrapper on the cigar. 

There is no doubt with most non-Cuban cigars the wrapper contributes significantly to the flavor profile.  I've had some of those La Auroras, and they're definitely different cigars.  The wrapper leaves are cultivated specifically to add distinct flavor characteristics.  If you take any non-Cuban blend, and replace a Connecticut shade wrapper with a Connecticut broadleaf, for example, it's a completely different cigar.  Put an Ecuadoran Habano or Cameroon wrapper on the same cigar, and again, two completely different flavor profiles.  To me, the only question with NC wrappers comes when trying to quantify the impact of the wrapper.  Does it account for 10% of the flavor?  50%?  It obviously depends on the cigar, as well as subjective qualities like taste.  But for most NCs, the wrapper is hugely integral to the flavor profile.  

Obviously for Cuban cigars, the wrapper isn't as important.  But I wouldn't say it's meaningless, either.  As discussed, I have no way of validating my anecdotal evidence, but I've definitely come to associate certain flavor characteristics with specific wrapper shades.  I would even go so far as to say in general, I prefer lighter wrapper shades.  But that could be due to a variety of factors that may or may not have anything to do with any actual flavor component produced by the wrapper leaf.