Large natural or varnished wood boxes...

I'm thinking about building a cigar box guitar, and would like to begin with natural or varnished wood box as opposed to a box covered in paper.  Generally speaking, bigger is better. 

Some examples of suitable 25 count boxes include Partagas P2, Montecristo Double Edmundo, Cohiba Esplendidos, Upmann Sir Winston...  

What are some other boxes I should consider?  This in no way would influence my decision to purchase said cigars.... :D

Thanks!

partagas-serie-p-no2_2_1_2_4_1_9.jpg

Hupmann_SirWinston_2.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PigFish said:

I would pick the 898 box as the bowed sides are a bit more attractive... my 2 cents! -P

That was actually one of my first ideas, but the Partagas 898 box is a bit small for this application.  Does Habanos supply any double coronas in 898 packaging?

I remember seeing someone here who had turned an empty Sig VI GR box into the sweetest guitar I've ever seen
Despite my digging, I could find a pic of it but I did find a decent pic of one made from a BHK box.

Behike box.jpg

If you used a BHK56 box, that could work and also look good
Not sure if it'd be deep enough though

• Like 1

13 hours ago, polarbear said:

I remember seeing someone here who had turned an empty Sig VI GR box into the sweetest guitar I've ever seen
Despite my digging, I could find a pic of it but I did find a decent pic of one made from a BHK box.

Behike box.jpg

If you used a BHK56 box, that could work and also look good
Not sure if it'd be deep enough though

That is really nice!  Is that a lacquer finish on the Behike box?

21 hours ago, mwaller said:

To have any volume, the instrument would need a larger soundboard (wider lid).  Depth is not as important.  2 layer boxes of large cigars would probably work best.  

its all about resonance....if you are actually going to try to play it. If hanging on the wall or just decorative build it out of what you like (visually).

Post pics when finished and if you are able to play it post video

• Like 1