Fonseca No. 1 OEP DIC 14: Discontinued Cigars Review Weekend

I picked up this single along with 4 others and a dress box at the Hotel Nacional during the FOH trip this November. They were technically discontinued 5 years ago, but there were 5 singles and a lone box at the Nacional, all with this code. I'm a sucker for the size and after trying two of the singles on the island I decided to grab the box. 

Pre Light - Punch cut, Great draw. This one was sitting in a cab along with a grab bag of Hector Prieto customs, gift cigars from the Encuentros opening dinner and some other singles acquired during the trip. I dont know if there has been some aroma transfer or if this Fonseca is a different animal than past examples, but the aroma at cold is pungent. Strong barnyard and a great bite on the cold draw. The wrapper is colorado, very dark for a Fonseca. I have seen a number of Fonsecas with these very dark wrappers lately. Totally different than the lighter wrappers of Cosacos I used to enjoy 5 or 6 years ago. Not particularly oily, but a great rustic look. I paired this cigar with some Perrier and Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brewing in Kansas City. 

1st Third - Unsettled and muddled to start. Some dark chocolate starts to fight through. Already much stronger than any Fonseca I've had before. I was either drunk, a couple cigars in, or both when I smoked the first couple in November. Probably why I don't remember them being this strong. Chocolate goes away, some of those signature floral flavors start to appear along with some brown sugar. Still unsettled, young. 

2nd Third - Floral Flavor begins to dominate, still a much stronger richer experience than past Fonsecas. Sweetness has pretty much disappeared. Long firm ashes, cigar is burning great along 90% of the circumference, the other 10% is requiring regular touchups. Draw has stayed right on. I get a few hot bitter puffs, time to s l o w d o w n.

Final third - Earthiness and woodiness start to pick up, accompanied by the now ever present floral character. No sweetness to speak of. Molasses starts to creep in, definitely turning into a complex cigar. Still full of rough edges though. Final half dozen puffs present raw earth, like a freshly dug.... hole. 

Conclusion - The remaining 27 I have will get a nice long rest, but I'm glad I was able to grab a box of these and will certainly be looking to grab another for the price. Tremendously complex, very rich and well over medium, but still young. I have great hopes for these. All in all a great 1 hr 50 min. The fruity tartness of the Farmhouse Ale paired perfectly with the surprising strength and richness of the cigar. Both were a great distraction as I edit video of my free dive with sharks this December!

IMG_0102[1].JPGIMG_0107[1].JPGIMG_0114[1].JPGIMG_0120[1].JPGIMG_0126[1].JPG

• Like 2

Recent Fonseca No. 1's are one of the few current cigars that harks back older era.  Similar for me with the Partagas Presidente; they both stand out as the way they use to taste..

• Like 1

great review I am a big fan of the fonseca no 1 I have quite a few boxes from 2007 love the floral and spice just an amazing combo

• Like 2

Thanks for a great review.  I love this cigar and this vitola - 6.4 x 44 Lonsdale.  I have a full box of ARG Feb15.  The thing I don't get, if these were discontinued 5+ years ago, why are they still being made?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pharmacovigilant said:

Thanks for a great review.  I love this cigar and this vitola - 6.4 x 44 Lonsdale.  I have a full box of ARG Feb15.  The thing I don't get, if these were discontinued 5+ years ago, why are they still being made?  

Haha. I don't get it either. I just keep quite and will be buying more if/when they reappear.

42 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

Thank you for the review. I really like that ashtray too.

I was not aware these had been discontinued.

Thanks, I actually purchased the ashtray at the same time and location as this cigar! They were tehcnically discontinued in 2012, but there are December 14 and February 15 boxes around. Maybe even newer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Haha. I don't get it either. I just keep quite and will be buying somewhere if/when they reappear.

Thanks, I actually purchased the ashtray at the same time and location as this cigar! They were tehcnically discontinued in 2012, but there are December 14 and February 15 boxes around. Maybe even newer. 

We need a new category --> UNEXPLAINABLE HIATUS 

LOL!