Formula 1 - 2017

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Formula 1 - 2017 - Why The Hell Not! Yeah, yeah.... @OZCUBAN will no doubt be saying "I told you so" and I really was going to leave Formula 1 at 2016 for at least a year but I figured being

Ugh.  Long long day here.  3 flights followed by a 4 hour drive home and 2 near crashes on the way home.  Love it when the idiots close down one lane of the interstate, back traffic way behind the lan

Hi all. Just advising you all, in a few hours, I'll cease posting for a couple weeks as I am off on break with my son being school holidays here. I most likely won't post anything as the first pa

Great race.   feel bad for alo and max for getting taken out.  Lewis had a good day limiting dmg.  haas got 6th!

And we get to see another shoeey

FORMULA 1 THRILLS LONDON DESPITE HAMILTON NO SHOW

F1LiveLondonTakesOverTrafalgarSquareR-fJSuLqdTgx.jpg

Formula 1 drivers hit the streets of central London with revving engines and wheel-spinning displays of smoking rubber on Wednesday in a show that thrilled the big crowds attendance, but Britian’s triple F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton stayed away and partied with his mates instead.

“Lewis feels that he is in such a tough championship fight that he needed the days off after Austria,” Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff explained to the crowd at the F1 Live event in Trafalgar Square. “But you can see him in Silverstone.”

Hamilton had announced on social media that he was taking a two-day break, posting a picture of him and friends on the steps of his private jet. He is due to face the media at Silverstone on Thursday.

Mention of the country’s most successful racing driver, a man with 56 wins to his name and huge support who will be favourite for a fourth successive British Grand Prix victory on Sunday, drew some boos.

Hamilton was the only absentee of the 20 drivers who performed tyre-smoking spins, or “donuts”, in their cars on individual runs along Whitehall to the crowded square and back.

DEjtcXjXoAEbGNL.jpg

Ferrari’s championship leader Sebastian Vettel, 20 points clear of the Briton after last weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix, had plenty of fans in the crowd and was not shy in his title rival’s absence.

“I don’t know why he’s not here,” smiled the German, who drove into Hamilton in a “road rage” incident in Azerbaijan last month, when it was suggested to him that maybe Hamilton did not fancy sharing the stage with him.

“We left some marks…it’s great fun to go so close to the people. You can see the cheering, waving. It’s been really fun. I’d love to do more laps but we’ll wait for the weekend.”

Jenson Button, Britain’s 2009 world champion, drove fashion model Naomi Campbell in a two-seater while Belgian Stoffel Vandoorne gave the fans a glimpse of the late Ayrton Senna’s 1991 McLaren.

Jackie Stewart, Britain’s only other three-times world champion, was also among the guests while Mercedes’ retired 2016 world champion Nico Rosberg flew in from Switzerland.

The event, organised by the sport’s new owners Liberty Media, was the first time Formula One cars had driven in London since 2004.

“The sport’s all about the fans,” said Formula 1’s extravagantly moustachioed chairman Chase Carey on an evening of cars and music as well as events to showcase the sport’s educational activities. “We want to connect with the fans in every way possible and today is a step in that direction.”

DEjw2OTW0AAggjw.jpg

DEjxz_KXkAEflX4.jpg

DEjxz_NXoAIC24L.jpg

DEj0QXcXUAE1T4b.jpg

DEjMTr6WAAIXozj.jpg

F1LiveLondonTakesOverTrafalgarSquare7N_MfRCUulGx.jpg

F1LiveLondonTakesOverTrafalgarSquarelmsDOO5kGIwx.jpg

DEjw2OYXYAAbao2.jpg

DEjQiNyXoAIfrSL.jpg

F1LiveLondonTakesOverTrafalgarSquaredXo5Wi7AkUax.jpg

DEjqyT4XkAA7FvK.jpg

DEjQKCmW0AAhNkj.jpg

DEjBnB2XYAEWJNx.jpg

DEjfenDXYAIdU6W.jpg

DEjQdICWAAAnoHl.jpg

F1LiveLondonTakesOverTrafalgarSquareBnz9lsfPetBx.jpg

DEjdqHWWsAIZD2l.jpg

DEje_JoXsAE8ybT.jpg

DEjgOz4XoAIWeOx.jpg

DEjQiOTXUAIqIra.jpg

DEjqyTjXYAEAypW.jpg

DEjSd1TXoAAj2Rk.jpg

DEjTPUEXYAE3vZ1.jpg

DEjUiE5XsAQeZEA.jpg

DEiyz_QWsAAAgLz.jpg

DEjvM3UXsAAExLp.jpg

F1LiveLondonTakesOverTrafalgarSquareB3PkQEcVfynx.jpg

F1LiveLondonTakesOverTrafalgarSquareE_MuIOiOU5zx.jpg

F1LiveLondonTakesOverTrafalgarSquaresJ7x3hqNhnAx.jpg

INSIDE LINE: MCLAREN FERRARI? HAAS ALFA ROMEO? NO SAUBER HONDA?

McLaren Ferrari

Although there are only seven days between the Austrian Grand Prix and the British Grand Prix, Formula 1 news has been relatively slow, thus many news outlets are publishing speculative features expanding on morsels of information fluttering about the paddock.

Our German and Italian colleagues are working overtime, scratching deep for stories and as a result some interesting reports have emerged. How realistic they are only time will tell?

Nevertheless, I think it’s important to put it out there with regards to what is being written.

McLaren powered by Ferrari?

Perhaps the most explosive theory doing the rounds has emerged on the pages of Gazzetta dello Sport suggesting that McLaren are talking to Ferrari with regards to an engine supply.

They report: “On the table is the sensational supply of Ferrari power units to McLaren. A dramatic and unpredictable scenario, unimaginable years ago but could materialise if the negotiations held between the parties should take place. The new bosses at McLaren have in fact submitted an exploratory inquiry to Ferrari and the answer is still pending…”

This would be a massive development within the sport, and ironically would again connect Fernando Alonso – if he remains with the Woking outfit –  to Maranello in a roundabout kind of way.

A McLaren spokesman said: “We’re working with Honda to address shortcomings and deficiencies; together, we’re considering options, but we won’t comment on media speculation about our future power unit supply.”

Haas powered by Alfa Romeo?

Another more plausible report is Speedweek’s speculative piece also regarding Ferrari, claiming that the power units supplied to Haas may be badged with the Alfa Romeo motif.

On more than one occasions Ferrari big boss Sergio Marchionne made it known that he was keen to have the legendary Italian brand back in Formula 1.

The Speedweek report digs out quotes from the last time Marchionne spoke of his desire earlier this year, “I want to see Alfa Romeo back racing in Formula 1 someday, because I believe very strongly it’s a place the brand should be. I don’t know how likely it is that this will happen. But the fact that we are talking about is a good sign in itself.”

This scenario could trigger a bunch of intriguing options for 2018:

• Haas get Alfa Romeo badged Ferrari power units for next season and beyond;
  • Antonio Giovinazzi gets full time drive alongside Kevin Magnussen at Haas;
  • Romain Grosjean replaces Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari.

Honda terminate Sauber deal

Another potentially huge story germinating, on the pages of Auto Bild and echoed by Speedweek, is that Honda have decided to pull the plug on their deal with Sauber before it even started.

The Auto Bild report claims: “The reason for the sudden termination of the contract [between Sauber and Honda] is because Honda is dissatisfied with the internal upheaval of the Swiss team. The contract for a three-year engine supply partnership was negotiated by Monisha Kaltenborn.”

“Honda bosses held Kaltenborn in high regard for saving the Swiss team in times of crisis. But Sauber and Kaltenborn separated four weeks ago. It is known in the paddock that Honda were disappointed by this development within the team.”

Should this be the case, then Sauber are without an engine for 2018 and beyond. If indeed Honda cancel the deal, then the Hinwil based outfit will surely depend on reviving their Ferrari deal with whom they have had a long association.

All these are speculative reports, but they deserve air-time because experience has taught us: expect the unexpected in Formula 1 and with the sport rushing into a new exciting era big changes across the board are perhaps inevitable. 

Watch this space!

HAMILTON HUNTING FOUR FROM FOUR AT HOME

Lewis Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton will head to the British Grand Prix with Silverstone as much in the headlines as the home hero, as he targets his fourth win in four years on race day.

Both have said “no” to Formula One at the start of a big week in Britain — Hamilton the only driver to snub a major event in London on Wednesday and Silverstone calling time on the race contract after 2019.

“We had a fantastic response from all the teams and 19 of the drivers,” said a Formula 1 spokesman, without naming Hamilton, ahead of the F1 Live London event featuring demonstration runs on the streets of Westminster.

Hamilton told his fans on social media on Tuesday that he was going on a break. His Mercedes team confirmed that only Valtteri Bottas would be in London.

“Two day holiday before the greatest race weekend of the year!!,” Hamilton told his 4.5 million followers on Instagram alongside a photograph of himself and friends on the steps of his private jet.

The Briton will be back on Thursday as the focus of attention, bidding to match his late compatriot Jim Clark as the only driver to have won four British Grands Prix in a row and five in total.

The triple world champion is in need of home comforts after setbacks beyond his control in Azerbaijan and Austria left him 20 points behind Ferrari’s championship leader Sebastian Vettel as the season approaches the halfway stage.

For the first time since March 2014 Hamilton has been off the podium for two successive races and he has no intention of completing that hat-trick at a circuit that ranks among his favourites.

“It is generally when there are adversities that there is an opportunity to grow and to do something pretty special,” he said of his current situation, while recognising that things did not look great as they stood.

“We’ve still got a long, long way to go. It could easily, within one race, switch. But the bigger that gap gets, the more pressure builds.”

Vettel, like Hamilton, has won three races so far this season and will be looking for Ferrari’s first win in Britain since Fernando Alonso in 2011.

“I’m looking forward to Silverstone, should be a lot of fun with this year’s cars,” said the German, who missed out on victory in Austria by 0.6 seconds after a storming start by Bottas from pole position.

“I think our car has been really strong this year in fast corners, so I think it should be quite nice.”

Red Bull, with their factory down the road, will also be fancying their chances of getting in the mix after Australian Daniel Ricciardo racked up his fifth successive podium with third place in Austria.

Dutch team mate Max Verstappen, meanwhile, is eager to end his run of bad luck, with five retirements in his last seven races and three in a row.

SILVERSTONE OWNERS TRIGGER BREAK CLAUSE IN F1 CONTRACT

hamilton-hammertime.jpg

Silverstone’s owners triggered a break clause in the British Grand Prix contract on Tuesday that throws the future of the country’s Formula 1 race into doubt after 2019 unless a new deal is agreed.

This year’s race, the halfway point in the season, takes place on Sunday with a big Formula 1 promotional event that took place in London on Wednesday.

“This decision has been taken because it is not financially viable for us to deliver the British Grand Prix under the terms of our current contract,” British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC) chairman John Grant told a news conference at the track.

“We sustained losses of 2.8 million pounds ($3.60 million) in 2015 and 4.8 million in 2016, and we expect to lose a similar amount this year.”

Grant said Silverstone, which has the biggest turnout of any race on the calendar, was the only circuit in Britain that could host the race and hoped a more sustainable deal could be reached over the next three years.

A spokesman for Formula 1, owned by U.S.-based Liberty Media, said the decision and the timing of the BRDC’s announcement was regrettable.

“The week leading up to the British Grand Prix, should be a week of great celebration for F1 and Silverstone,” the spokesman said.

“We deeply regret that Silverstone has chosen instead to use this week to posture and position themselves and invoke a break clause that will take effect in three years time.

“Our focus is still to preserve the British Grand Prix. We will carry on negotiating with the promoter in good faith and in private to reach a fair and equitable solution.”

Silverstone hosted the first world championship grand prix in 1950 and Britain, home to seven of the 10 teams as well as triple world champion Lewis Hamilton, has been on the calendar every year since.

Sean Bratches, the sport’s new commercial managing director, last week described Silverstone as “one of the jewels in the crown of Grand Prix racing” and Liberty have said repeatedly that they want to safeguard the sport’s historic venues.

Grant said the BRDC remained fully supportive of the changes Liberty are bringing to the sport but the non-profit members club could “no longer let our passion for the sport rule our heads”.

The promoter’s fee for hosting the race increases by five percent annually, which means it has grown from 11.5 million pounds in 2010 to 16.2 million this year. By 2026, it would have risen to 25 million.

The BRDC said it had reached a tipping point and revenue from ticket sales and hospitality was not enough to cover the cost.

HORNER: I AM AMAZED SILVERSTONE TRIGGERED BREAK CLAUSE

Christian Horner

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has slammed the owners of Silverstone, saying they created the financial trouble that threatens the future of the British Grand Prix.

Horner — a member of the track’s owners British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC) — was scathing about the club’s announcement on Tuesday they were exercising a break clause in the 17-year contract to host the Grand Prix, meaning the 2019 race could be the last staged there.

The owners blamed escalating costs under the original agreement signed with former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone which came into force in 2010. They are looking for a revised deal with Liberty, the new Formula One owners, who are highly critical of the BRDC’s announcement.

The row has blown up in the days leading up to this weekend’s Grand Prix at Silverstone which will see home favourite Lewis Hamilton endeavour to hit back in the race for the title which sees German Sebastian Vettel leading by 20 points.

Horner, in charge of Red Bull since 2005, told journalists that BRDC entered into the agreement in 2010 fully conscious of the terms.

“I am amazed that they have triggered their break clause,” said Horner, who oversaw Red Bull’s four successive constructors championships from 2010 to 2013.

“Silverstone signed a contract in 2010, and they knew what they were entering into at the time. They have now realised that they can’t afford it despite having a full house every year.

“They either should not have signed it in the first place or they got their maths wrong.”

BRDC say it is financially crippling to host the race — which unlike others on the circuit does not receive government support.

The BRDC have been hit financially by the hosting fee which goes up by five percent every year — from £12 million in 2010 to £17 million this season and £26 million in 2026.

“This decision has been taken because it is not financially viable for us to deliver the British grand prix under the terms of our current contract,” BRDC chairman John Grant said.

“We sustained losses of £2.8m (3.1m, $3.6m) in 2015 and £4.8m in 2016, and we expect to lose a similar amount this year.

“We have reached the tipping point where we can no longer let our passion for the sport rule our heads.”

Their announcement prompted a sharp riposte from Formula One.

“The week leading up to the British Grand Prix should be a week of great celebration for F1 and Silverstone,” a Formula One spokesperson said.

“We deeply regret that Silverstone has chosen instead to use this week to posture and position themselves and invoke a break clause that will take effect in three years’ time.”

“We offered to extend the current deadlines in order to focus on everything that is great about Silverstone and Formula One.”

Silverstone’s strategy may yet fail as Liberty chairman Chase Carey told the BBC earlier this week there were other parties interested in hosting the race.

‘The Times’ claimed one of the possiblities is it being raced in the Docklands area in east London.

However, London Mayor Sadiq Khan it is said would consider the pollution ramifications if approached formally about such a possibility.

VASSEUR APPOINTED SAUBER TEAM PRINCIPAL

frederic vasseur

Sauber have appointed Frédéric Vasseur as Managing Director & CEO of Sauber Motorsport AG, as well as Team Principal of the Swiss team, effective 17 July, 2017.

Pascal Picci, Chairman: “Frédéric Vasseur’s long and successful career in top level international motorsport speaks for itself, and we are thrilled to welcome him to Sauber.”

Frédéric Vasseur: “I’m very proud to be joining Sauber Motorsport AG, and wish to thank the company’s shareholders for their trust in me. I’ve been impressed by the facilities in Hinwil and by the talent and ambition of the workforce.”

“I very much look forward to complementing the team with my experience and determination and drive all people in the right direction in everything they do: I am convinced that all together we will achieve ambitious targets. I cannot wait to start working with our drivers, engineers and all the staff. I look forward to contributing to the next important phase in the development of the team.”

MIKA: Hmmm... Sauber/Renault in the making?

Force India to introduce ‘biggest update’ yet

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Sergio_Perez1-700x367.jpg

Force India are coming to the British Grand Prix armed with their biggest update of the season so far.

Fourth-placed Force India are 49 points ahead of their nearest rivals Williams in the World Constructors' standings. But the midfield battle is far from over yet, especially given Haas' sudden improvement last weekend in Austria.

Force India, though, are hoping they are in a position to take step up at Silverstone in order to keep themselves ahead of the rest.

"We've got a suite of things coming for Silverstone, including a new front wing," said technical director Andrew Green. "There are other bits as well, mainly the front end.

"It's one of our biggest if not the biggest we have done so far this season."

Green was also asked whether it was a bigger upgrade than the one introduced in Spain: "Yes. It'll be incremental from there and then there will be another big update around Singapore time.

"That is just coming through the wind tunnel now, it's going into full-size now."

Green also revealed that it is not yet clear when the Force India team will start prioritising work on next year's car.

"It's going to start to become a challenge when we have to allocate resource to next year's car," Green added.

"The two cars, this year's and next, are aligned. From a concept perspective, everything we learn on this car transfers straight to next year's car.

"In that respect, we'll keep on bringing parts to the track. They will become less frequent and less complex parts but we will be bringing parts.

"A lot will be looking over our shoulder and seeing how far away fifth place is and whether we can focus more on next year."

F1 considering using gamers to trial new rules

F1 considering using gamers to trial new rules

Formula 1 is considering a plan to use top gamers to help trial new rules in a virtual world to see what changes actually work.

As F1's chiefs continue evaluating what direction they want to take the sport in the future, motorsport managing director Ross Brawn says one of the key things being looked at now is how to make the racing better.

And he says one way to ensure that mistakes are not made by introducing aero concepts or different sporting rules that make things worse is to test them first.

He has suggested that with racing games now so sophisticated – and engines like rFactor and rFPro being used as the basis for some motorsport simulators – that it is possible to test new ideas with some top gamers before they get trialled in the real world.

Speaking at the F1 Live event in London on Wednesday, Brawn said: "Where we are looking at improving the racing in the future, there is a huge community of eRacers out there through whom we could potentially put different environments and different changes to the way we race.

"We can get them to tell us whether the racing has improved or not.

"In the eRacing community, if we change the aero property of the cars and that is fed into their community, does that create a better race or not from their experience?

"It is not that far removed from the simulators the real teams use. A lot of the F1 teams use software generated from the games industry to give a more realistic environment for their driver simulators. There is scope in that area as well, which we are exploring."

Brawn said one of the tasks that his team have been working on is getting to the bottom of understanding what is the type of racing that fans actually like.

"At the moment we are trying to understand what makes a good race: what is it that makes a great race," he said. "It is not just overtaking. You can have a great race without overtaking.

"If you have two cars fighting each other for the majority of the race, there may not be overtaking but there can be a great race. The proximity of those cars is something which is a factor in making a great race.

"We are mining all the information that exists in F1 to start to build a vision of what makes great racing, and what makes great on track action, and which tracks consistently produce great races."

Live gaming

Brawn has also hinted that F1 is working hard on plans for a virtual F1 game, where fans can take part in a grand prix live.

"One of the things we will be taking a serious look at is eRacing engaging with the race itself," he said.

"So how do we create the environment where we have a live event going on and the fans are racing their cars in that race.

"So, for example, a safety car is called and they have to react in their environment to that. The potential for that is huge."

McLaren needs a "revolution" to retain Alonso - Briatore

McLaren needs a "revolution" to retain Alonso - Briatore

Flavio Briatore says the McLaren Formula 1 team needs a "revolution" to have a chance to retain Fernando Alonso - and to have a prosperous future in the sport.

The Woking team has continued to struggle this year, the third of its partnership with Honda, and currently lies at the bottom of the standings with just two points.

Alonso's contract with McLaren expires at the end of the year and he has made no secret of the fact that he wants to have a competitive car next season.

With no guarantees that McLaren will have a strong engine next year, Alonso admitted he is open to looking elsewhere if the situation does not improve quickly.

Briatore, however, says moving to another team would only make sense if it meant having a competitive package.

"You don't want as well to go in some team where you don't have a chance to win," Briatore, who is part of Alonso's management team, told Motorsport.com's GP Gazette. 

"We've done that already. A driver needs to be in a team where at least you have the possibility to fight for the podium.

"I believe the management of McLaren is moving very hard to have a better situation in the team.

"If McLaren can be competitive… Fernando feels very good in McLaren, honestly. The team worked very, very good with us in Indy, we appreciate all that.

"We'll see in a few months. Before the summer break something should happen. We're working together with the management of McLaren, and we try to find a solution.

"It's not nice seeing McLaren in this situation, not only for the driver, but for the team, for the engineers. They need to have a revolution, they need to have a shock, they need to have a future. Not only for Fernando, but for the employees.

"It's a great team, a great name, it's a shame to see them in this situation."

Fernando Alonso, McLaren, talks to his engineer President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev and First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva, Flavio Briatore Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32

"Imagine if Messi had no club to go to"

Briatore is adamant Alonso is still the best driver in F1, and the former Benetton and Renault boss has compared the Spaniard's search for a competitive seat with the prospect of football superstar Lionel Messi being left without a team.

"For the moment we have a contract with McLaren, and we need to respect the contract up to then," he added. "And the future, we don't know yet, honestly.

"For a driver it's very frustrating when you know when you start the race that you need only to decide what lap you stop.

"Fernando is a bit like Messi. He's still the best. Imagine if Messi had no club to go to?

"Unfortunately in F1 there's only one or two teams winning races. In my time at least we had three or four teams.

"Fernando was in my team, we made a difference with him, we won the championship. We don't need to forget with Renault we won the championship because of the difference Fernando made."

Verstappen won't be asked to support Ricciardo title bid

Verstappen won't be asked to support Ricciardo title bid

Max Verstappen has been assured that he will not be shifted into a supporting role for Daniel Ricciardo, despite the big gap between them in the championship.

Ricciardo's run of good form in recent races has left him 64 points adrift of championship leader Sebastian Vettel, while Verstappen is a further 62 points off.

But in a season when Vettel is splitting points with Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas, Red Bull could find itself in a situation where, if Ricciardo's places are maximised through team orders, the Australian could yet close the gap to the front.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner is not convinced such a tactic is worthwhile though, because he thinks the deficit to Vettel is too big to consider a championship assault.

"We are not thinking about championships, we are thinking about getting performance on the car, and race-by-race events," said Horner.

"We don't consider ourselves to be contenders in this championship at this point of time. We want to go to every GP, give it everything we can and close the gap."

When asked whether Verstappen would remain free to race and beat Ricciardo, Horner said: "Absolutely.

"If he [Ricciardo] was within 15-20 points, it is a different story. But 64 points at not the halfway point of the season, you've got to be a fair optimist to start issuing team orders at that point."

Horner is also convinced that Verstappen will quickly be able to bounce back from his run of bad luck – after yet another retirement in Austria.

The Dutchman suffered a clutch problem at the start before being forced out of the race following a crash at the first corner.

When asked how frustrated Verstappen was getting, Horner said: "Despite his years, he has actually got quite a lot of experience and he has had similar issues in his karting career and so on.

"What he is actually taking a lot of heart from is that the car is getting stronger and stronger and [Austria] was arguably our most competitive race this season – and certainly since Monaco and particularly on this layout of circuit.

"You can see all race that in sector two, which is the twisty bit, we were the fastest car throughout the grand prix compared to the Ferrari and the Mercedes there.

"So you can see that progress is coming – and when it does come his way, as is so often the way in sport, he could end up winning three races on the trot by not necessarily changing anything that he is doing. It will just turn for him."

Bottas's Mercedes future and Kubica's F1 comeback - Autosport Podcast

0b152f64984f635a6d57458688f3ea07.jpg

Valtteri Bottas's Austrian Grand Prix victory and Robert Kubica's attempted Formula 1 comeback are the focus of the latest edition of The Autosport Podcast.

Anthony Rowlinson and Stuart Codling join Edd Straw to look back at the race at the Red Bull Ring, and what it means both for Bottas's future and his world championship hopes.

With Bottas now just 15 points off Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton, the dynamic between the two drivers is a key talking point.

There's also a look at Daniel Ricciardo's recent run of good results compared to luckless Red Bull team-mate Max Verstappen, as well as whether Ferrari's strategy with Kimi Raikkonen was the right one.

The possibility of a Kubica comeback is also explored in depth, with Rowlinson having a unique insight into his progress having attended the Pole's F1 test at Valencia early last month.

The Autosport Podcast is available free to subscribe to via iTunes and all other major podcasting platforms.

FORCE INDIA PREVIEWS THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX: 

Sergio Perez

Force India preview the British Grand Prix, Round 10 of the 2017 Formula 1 World Championship, at Silverstone.

Vijay Mallya: “After a double points finish in Austria, we now head to our local race at Silverstone. The VJM10 is working well and we expect to build on our recent competitive form with another strong showing this weekend. Our performance in Austria showed the strength in depth of our team in all areas. Despite chasing the car balance through practice, we got on top of our issues in time for qualifying – when it mattered. Even when we don’t have the perfect weekend, we can be well inside the top ten picking up important points.

“The British Grand Prix is always a huge weekend for this team. Our factory couldn’t be any closer to the circuit and it’s one of our busiest events of the year. Once again we have created a Force India stage and fan zone in the Woodlands campsite so that our drivers can visit during the weekend and meet the fans. For me, this is a highlight of the week because it’s these dedicated supporters who create such a special atmosphere at Silverstone. It’s important that we involve the fans as much as possible and I’m glad that we can give something back to them again this year.”

Sergio Perez: “I’m feeling really upbeat after our strong weekend in Austria. We recovered well from some difficult practice sessions and picked up some important points. I think we can do the same in Silverstone. I love the track and I think the car will perform well there. We have some small updates coming on the aero side and I feel very comfortable in this car. I really can’t wait to experience the high-speed corners at Silverstone with all the downforce we have on these 2017 cars.

“I always say that Silverstone is one of the best tracks of the year. There are great corners and it’s a real pleasure to drive in a Formula One car. The fans also make the British Grand Prix special. We always see a huge crowd – even on Friday – and the atmosphere always feels special. It’s one of those races where the drivers’ parade gives you huge energy when you see the support from the fans.”

Esteban Ocon: “I am very excited about racing in my first British Grand Prix. Silverstone has a special atmosphere: there is always a big crowd, everyone is coming here to show their support and enjoy one of the best races of the season and it’s really exciting.

“I can’t wait for the race. The track is great: I like the combination of fast corners, especially Maggots and Becketts. Those corners are awesome. In this year’s cars they’re going to be especially crazy. I have some very good memories from racing Formula 3 in Silverstone. I was on pole, got three podiums and won a race: it was the first event of the season and the results gave me so much confidence for the rest of the championship.

“Our team headquarters are just across the road, so the race feels extra special for us. It’s a home race and the chance to see everyone who works at the factory all year. It’s also where we have our Fan Zone at the Woodlands Campsite. I am looking forward to going there on Saturday night and meeting everyone who has come to support us.”

Sahara Force India’s Chief Race Engineer, Tom McCullough: “Our home Grand Prix in Silverstone is one of the toughest tests for a Formula One car. The current layout is a mix of low, medium and very high speed corners, meaning you have to find the ideal compromise when it comes to set up. We expect the current generation of cars to be very impressive in the high-speed sections, a challenge the drivers will love: this means, however, that we need to produce a car that gives them the confidence required to attack those corners. The high tyre degradation will open up the strategic options, and the weather is always unpredictable – even when dry, the high winds on this exposed track mean conditions can change between a lap and the other, which is an added challenge. At 5.89km, this is one of the longest circuits of the year – we only have 52 laps, quite the opposite from Austria.”

HAAS PREVIEW THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX

Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Austria. Friday 07 July 2017. World Copyright: Glenn Dunbar/LAT Images ref: Digital Image _X4I4359

At the end of its inaugural season in 2016, Haas F1 Team finished a very respectable eighth in the constructors standings with a total of 29 points. That tally was the most of any new team in this millennium.

When Jaguar debuted in 2000 and when Toyota came on the scene in 2002, each entity managed only two point-paying finishes in their entire first seasons for a combined total of six points.

How would Haas F1 Team fare in its second season of the FIA Formula One World Championship – a season with a new car built under new technical regulations that had to be designed amid the 2016 campaign? Quite well, it appears.

Nine races into its sophomore season, Haas F1 Team has equaled its point tally from 2016. Seven times the American outfit has come away with points, and drivers Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen enter the British Grand Prix this weekend at Silverstone Circuit looking to secure points for an eighth time and sixth in a row.

The points haul has allowed Haas F1 Team to tighten its grip on its seventh-place standing in the constructors ranks, opening up an 11-point advantage over the eighth-place factory Renault team while knocking on the sixth-place door of Toro Rosso, only four points ahead.

Grosjean scored the organization’s best result so far this year when he finished sixth in last Sunday’s Austrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg. That effort followed Magnussen’s seventh-place drive in the preceding Azerbaijan Grand Prix. And nestled in between two single-point results by Grosjean in the Spanish Grand Prix and Canadian Grand Prix was Haas F1 Team’s first double points finish in the Monaco Grand Prix where Grosjean finished eighth and Magnussen came home 10th. Twenty-one points have been netted in the last five races.

While some in the Formula One paddock rue back-to-back races, Haas F1 Team relishes the quick turnaround in between Spielberg and Silverstone. The still young organization is on an obvious roll and has proven to be rock solid in its second year of operation. The less downtime between races, the better.

That there is less time between races is appropriate considering a lap around Silverstone will take less time than ever before. The 5.891-kilometer (3.660-mile), 18-turn track that is roughly a two-hour drive from London is considered one of Formula One’s power circuits. It is one of the series’ fastest venues, with an average speed of around 225 kph (140 mph) that is certain to increase after this year’s British Grand Prix thanks to the blindingly-quick speeds drivers are able to achieve with the current-generation car that is lower, wide and demonstrably faster.

Silverstone is the third longest circuit on the Formula One calendar, behind only Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (7.004 kilometers, 4.352 miles) and Baku City Circuit (6.003 kilometers, 3.730 miles). The majority of its layout is comprised of medium- and high-speed corners, allowing drivers to run at full throttle for 65 percent of their lap. Teams run medium to high levels of downforce in their racecars to better assist with the impressive cornering speeds achieved on the track’s sweeping corners. The track has relatively few long straights, making these downforce levels achievable.

Achievement is what Grosjean and Magnussen aim to do every time they climb into their respective Haas VF-17s. Whether it’s the speed at which the duo has matched Haas F1 Team’s point total from last year or the speed they look to achieve on Silverstone’s serpentine layout, the British Grand Prix provides opportunity to gain even more points and more ground on the Formula One establishment.

Guenther Steiner, Team Principal

The time between Austria and Silverstone is tight with back-to-back grands prix. How do these back-to-back race weekends compare to back-to-back fly-away races? Is it actually harder because the same transporters and equipment need to be moved from Austria to England?
GS: “It’s about the same. You use different means of transport, but either way the schedule is very tight. It’s all well organized, so normally there are no problems.”

Silverstone is a home race for most Formula One teams, as even Haas F1 Team has a European base that is approximately 30 minutes from the track. NASCAR’s home race for teams is Charlotte, North Carolina, and for those races, each crew member arrives on his or her own, driving and sometimes even cycling from home. Is this possible for our crew members, or do you treat it the same as any other race and put everyone up in a hotel and they ride together to the track?
GS: “Travel is a little bit mixed for the team members. Some stay at home and then take a bus to the track since there is limited parking, while others will stay at a hotel and then also take a bus to the track. If they arrive at our Bunbury location at a certain time, they can catch a ride to the track as well.”

Track records have been broken at every track Formula One has visited so far this season. With Silverstone being the first true power circuit of the year, what affect will the increased speeds have on your car’s setup compared to last year when the speeds and the amount of downforce you had were lower?
GS: “We’ve gone faster at every circuit this year because of these new cars with the new regulations. With the wider cars and more downforce, we just go faster. And for the setup, we will use what we learned from the last nine races before Silverstone.”

Silverstone is a fast track where drivers are able to run full throttle for long periods of time. How do you help them find that edge to determine when they can be flat out and when they can’t?
GS: “They find that edge themselves. If the engineering team gives them a good, stable car, they are not afraid to go flat-out. But they need to be confident that the car will do what they want the car to do, and that is down to the engineering team.”

Considering these current-generation cars are built with an inherently high amount of downforce, how much downforce are you able to take away to give the cars more speed in the straights without jeopardizing corner speed?
GS: “There is no number to it. There is always a compromise between corner speed and straight-line speed, and that is best found in the simulations before the race weekend. Normally, you get very close to it, but the fine-tuning is still on the track.”

How much downforce do you want in the car at Silverstone? As much as the driver can get, or do you want him to be able to slide the car a bit and have a little less drag?
GS: “The car must be stuck to the ground. As soon as you take away too much downforce, the tires won’t last and you begin to have graining, which the drivers do not like. We have to take off just enough downforce so that the car doesn’t slide and start going through the tires too quickly. It’s less about the driver feel and more about tire preservation. The driver may be more comfortable when the tire is going away, but then you risk the chance of the tire going out.”

With increased speed comes an increased need for braking ability. Where is Haas F1 Team with its brake technology and is there a plan to again outfit the cars with Carbon Industrie brakes like it did during practice for the Russian Grand Prix in late April?
GS: “We have a plan to fit the cars with Carbon Industrie brakes on Friday – both cars in FP1 and, hopefully, FP2 – to see if it all works on our second attempt. If it all works, we will use them over the weekend, but we can only commit to that after we’ve had one practice.”

Cooling the Carbon Industrie brakes was problematic when you first used them in the Russian Grand Prix. What have you done to alleviate the cooling problem without sacrificing aerodynamic performance?
GS: “The aerodynamics team did a lot of CFD work and then we had to modify the brake discs according to what we found using CFD.”

At most circuits, pole position is critical. But for some reason, not as much at Silverstone, where the pole winner has only gone on to win five times in the last 19 years. Is this happenstance or is there something about the track’s layout that provides more opportunity for those a little deeper on the starting grid?
GS: “I don’t think there is a specific reason. I know that it is, for sure, possible to overtake at Silverstone, but I think so few people not winning from the pole is more happenstance than anything.”

Weather tends to be a large variable at Silverstone, with hot weather interspersed with cool, blustery and even raw conditions. How do you prepare for temperature swings and weather changes, be it at Silverstone or anywhere else?
“Other than having data together for the tires and how they work in the different temperatures, it’s honestly hard to prepare. The best we can do is keep our eye on it and go with what the weather gives us.”

Romain Grosjean

Silverstone is one of the fastest tracks in Formula One, but it’s not necessarily from long straights but rather from long, flowing corners. Can you describe the feeling of speed you experience at this power circuit?
RG: “It’s a really cool track, especially the fast part through Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel corners. When you have the grip in the car there, you really get the sensation of the g-forces. Everything’s pushing down. You really want to get the first part of the flowing corners right. If you don’t, you just lose a lot of time. When the car is very stable and has good balance, you can go flat out and really push it to the limit.”

Knowing how fast these current-generation cars are, what are your expectations in terms of how the car will feel at Silverstone, particularly through the Maggots, Becketts and Chapel corners – an area of the track where you really feel the g-forces being exerted on your body?
RG: “I think it’s going to be one of the most exciting tracks of the year to drive. With the new cars, we’re really going to have a lot of downforce, a lot of g-forces through the high-speed corners – which were already really good with the previous cars. Now we’re going to get to another level and I’m looking forward to discovering that.”

With speed playing such a role at Silverstone, how difficult is it to overtake? And if the opportunity presents itself, where can you overtake?
RG: “There are a few spots. On the straights and through the high-speed corners, you have an opportunity if your car is much better balanced than the car in front of you. After turn three or turn four, there’s the long section after the slow-speed corners, and that’s a good opportunity as well. But the thing about Silverstone is really the difference between a well-balanced car and an unbalanced car – that’s where the opportunity lies.”

What do you need at Silverstone to have the proper balance in your racecar?
RG: “Silverstone is not an easy track. You’ve got all the high-speed sections, where you really want to carry some speed and get fast. Then you’ve got the twisty turns three and four, then the whole last corner, which is tricky on the throttle application. Generally, you need a good rear-end, and if you get that, you can then put some front-flap on and go faster.”

Is Silverstone the track where you’re able to run at full throttle for the longest periods of time?
RG: “I think probably Baku we were flat out for longer periods of time, but Silverstone is a power track as well. You need good power to get a good lap time there. There are a few straight lines and a few overtaking opportunities but, mainly, Silverstone is about the grip of the car through the high-speed corners.”

How do you find that edge to determine when you can be flat-out and when you can’t?
RG: “Well, you find out quickly when you’re wrong, but you have to try. It’s as simple as that. You go step-by-step, but definitely the last step is going flat-out.”

How much downforce do you want at Silverstone? As much as you can get, or do you want to be able to slide the car a bit and have a little less drag?
RG: “As much as you can get. You’ll always slide the car, so the more downforce, the better.”

At most circuits, pole position is critical. But for some reason, not as much at Silverstone, where the pole winner has only gone on to win five times in the last 19 years. Is this happenstance or is there something about the track’s layout that provides more opportunity for those a little deeper on the starting grid?
RG: “Silverstone is in the UK, and the UK weather is known to be sometimes rainy, sometimes dry. That plays a part. It can change a lot between qualifying and the race, and then even in the race itself. You can also have a good car in qualifying, but if it’s not quite perfectly balanced for the race, you’ll pay the price. That’s where success lies, and probably why most of the winners didn’t start from pole position.”

Do you have any milestones or moments from your junior career that you enjoyed at Silverstone?
RG: “I’ve had some good races there. I remember GP2 in 2009 – I scored the pole position by a big margin, that was pretty good fun. In F1, back in 2012, I had a first-lap incident where I had to change the front wing and from there I just pushed all the way. I remember overtaking (Jenson) Button and (Lewis) Hamilton through Maggots, Becketts – the high-speed corners. I came back to sixth from being last on the first lap, which was pretty good.”

What is your favorite part of Silverstone?
RG: “The high-speed corners at Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel.”

Describe a lap around Silverstone.
RG: “You start off on the new main pit straight before taking the first turn flat-out. Then you come into two hairpins. The first one is more open than the second one, and the second you really want to go for as early as you can. Then you go through the old last couple of corners – very tricky braking here – before going along the old pit straight. It’s very tricky here on power, as well. Then you get to the very high-speed section. It’s a great sensation in the car here. You stay flat-out as much as you can into Maggotts and Becketts, and then downshifting every corner a gear, and then you’re onto the Hanger Straight to Stowe corner. This is another tricky one where you enter very quickly. You want to go on the power as quick as you can, but the corner is closing down more than you think. Then you go to the last chicane – heavy braking and it’s very bumpy. Then you’ve got your final throttle application with a lot of g-force on the right-hand side and you cross the finish line.”

Kevin Magnussen

The British Grand Prix marks your 50th grand prix. Growing up and racing karts, just getting to Formula One probably looked like a long road. Can you talk about the effort you had to put forth to get to this level?
KM: “Fifty grands prix doesn’t sound like a lot, but it’s gone quick. It’s not really something I think about, but it’s been a long ride and a quick ride at the same time. I hope to do many more. The effort was all worth it and I’m enjoying my time massively. Being able to do what I love is something I’m extremely grateful for.”

Does 50 Formula One starts give you a feeling that you’ve established yourself in the sport?
KM: “I feel like I’m still learning a lot. I’m in my third season in Formula One, which isn’t many – a lot of other people are in their 10th season or more. I’m still in the early stages of my career.”

There is some chatter about a Formula One race in Denmark and, specifically, Copenhagen. What are your thoughts about potentially having a home grand prix?
KM: “I mean, that would be awesome. I really hope it can be done. It’s pretty unexpected, but it would be awesome.”

Silverstone is one of the fastest tracks in Formula One, but it’s not necessarily from long straights but rather from long, flowing corners. Can you describe the feeling of speed you experience at this power circuit?
KM: “Silverstone is definitely one of the good circuits. It’s really fast and you’ve got some big sections with fast change of directions. I really enjoy driving the circuit.”

Knowing how fast these current-generation cars are, what are your expectations in terms of how the car will feel at Silverstone, particularly through the Maggots, Becketts and Chapel corners – an area of the track where you really feel the g-forces being exerted on your body?
KM: “I’m just looking forward to having a go. These cars are going to be much faster in those corners than the previous cars. I’m looking forward to it massively.”

With speed playing such a role at Silverstone, how difficult is it to overtake? And if the opportunity presents itself, where can you overtake?
KM: “It will be quite difficult to overtake at Silverstone, perhaps more difficult than previous years. Probably in the DRS zone and perhaps down Hangar Straight, it will be possible. Qualifying is going to be very important.”

Your teammate mentioned that the difference at Silverstone comes down to the opportunity between having a well-balanced car and an unbalanced car. What do you need at Silverstone to have the proper balance in your racecar?
KM: “You need good high-speed balance as most of the corners are high speed.”

How much downforce do you want at Silverstone? As much as you can get, or do you want to be able to slide the car a bit and have a little less drag?
KM: “You definitely want as much as you can.”

KM: “I think it’s just by chance.”

Do you have any milestones or moments from your junior career that you enjoyed at Silverstone?
KM: “I’ve won many times there, so it’s a place with good memories for me.”

What is your favorite part of Silverstone?
KM: “Maggots and Becketts because they’re the high-speed turns.”

MCLAREN PREVIEW THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX

Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Austria. Sunday 9 July 2017. Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren MCL32 Honda. Photo: Charles Coates/McLaren ref: Digital Image AN7T6737A

Silverstone and Formula 1 are inextricably linked, the former airfield hosted the first world championship grand prix in 1950 and it has been a regular fixture on the F1 calendar ever since.

It’s been re-profiled several times, but it hasn’t lost its high-speed character; the fast corners demand the same respect today as they did 67 years ago.

Fernando Alonso: “Silverstone is a racetrack that I enjoy coming back to year after year. Everyone knows it as a real driver’s track, with an incredible history and amazing support from the fans, so it’s a special weekend for every driver. For a McLaren driver, it’s even more special, and the reception we get from the British fans is always fantastic.

“I really enjoy the challenge of this circuit, and a good result there always feels like its well-deserved, because it’s a tricky track and a tough race. I hope we will have more luck at our home race than we did last weekend in Austria – it was an unfortunate incident and I hope we can bounce back, fight hard as always, and see what we can do in the race.

“The characteristics of the Silverstone circuit are high-speed, but also high-grip, and I’m excited to see how this year’s cars perform on this track – especially on the faster sections of the circuit. Let’s see if we can maximise the strengths of our car in the corners and fight for the best possible result for the team. It’s important that we can stay out of trouble at the start, and have good reliability throughout the weekend so that we can build momentum in every session leading up to the race.”

Stoffel Vandoorne: “I’m really looking forward to going to the British Grand Prix for the first time as part of a British team. At McLaren Honda, we are lucky that we receive amazing support from fans all over the world, but I know that the atmosphere at Silverstone is extra special. I’ve raced in the UK a number of times and I spend a lot of time there with the team, so it does feel like a second home to me now.

“The track is really fun to drive – very fast and tricky in places, especially at the start of the lap, and then the last sector with its infield section requires a different set of skills and a stable, responsive car. I’m looking forward to seeing how our car behaves, particularly in those sections, and hopefully we can stand our ground against our nearest rivals.

“I’ve stood on the Silverstone podium twice in GP2 and it was a great feeling. I hope I can have a positive weekend there again and have a smooth run up to Sunday, so we can maximise the package that we have. I feel comfortable in the car and we’re definitely making progress, so the aim is to be able to show that in front of the loyal fans and make the most of the weekend.”

Eric Boullier, McLaren-Honda Racing Director: “For obvious reasons, the British Grand Prix is one of the stand-out races of the season for everyone at McLaren Honda, and not only because we are a British team. From a fan perspective, it means incredible enthusiasm and support, huge crowds and a passionate audience, the like of which we don’t often see at any other venue.

“The Silverstone racetrack is also the stuff of legends, with its infamous corners – Copse, Becketts, Stowe – and it’s a circuit that has tested many a champion and delighted fans with its epic racing. It’s tough, too: high-speed, challenging, and very demanding on both the car and the driver – especially with the 2017 cars, which promise to look spectacular around this track.

“While it won’t be the easiest of circuits on which we will put the MCL32 to the test, we are immensely looking forward to the typically awesome atmosphere that enjoy every year at Silverstone from the relentlessly vocal and passionate British fans, who never fail to lift us and carry us through the weekend. We will work as hard as ever, and we hope to put on a good show for our loyal fans, colleagues, partners and guests alike.”

Yusuke Hasegawa, Honda R&D Co. Ltd Head of F1 Project & Executive Chief Engineer: “The British Grand Prix marks the half way point of the season, and is one of the highlights on the Formula 1 calendar. It is one of the oldest and most iconic races, but also one of the most demanding for the team and drivers.

“The layout, with its long straights and high-speed corners, has a great flow to it but puts every area of the car to the test – including the PU. It’s long and flat, and fuel and power hungry, so I’m expecting it to be challenging for us. And of course we will have the notoriously unpredictable British weather to contend with too.

“The result in Austria wasn’t what we had hoped for or expected, but having said that, we showed some genuine progress which I hope we can continue to build on this weekend. We’re as motivated as ever, and working to move forward as quickly as we can.

“Finally, Silverstone will also mark the first of two home grands prix for the McLaren Honda team this season, so we’re looking forward to what will be a busy but special weekend. The crowd is always amazing and we expect to have many fans, colleagues and family members watching, so we will do our very best to show them a good race and collect some points in front of the home crowd.”

RENAULT PREVIEW THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX

Jolyon Palmer

Renault F1 Team preview the British Grand Prix, Round 10 of the 2017 Formula 1 World Championship, at Silverstone.

Cyril Abiteboul, Renault Sport Racing Managing Director, “Silverstone promises to be a special weekend for the Renault Sport Racing family. Sunday 16th July will be particularly memorable as it marks the 40th anniversary, to the day, of Renault’s first Formula 1 Grand Prix when the RS01, pioneered by Jean-Pierre Jabouille, graced the legendary British circuit. Of course, this ignited Renault’s passion for Formula 1, and 40 years and masses of success later, we are still going with the same grit on the grid today.

“We left Austria with mixed feelings after a weekend which highlighted a number positives, whilst underlined the areas which require improvement. We are satisfied with Jolyon’s race, even though we didn’t secure any points, an impressive outing from him means he has the confidence going into his home Grand Prix. Jolyon needs to be better placed on the grid, which of course helps for a better Sunday. This is one of his targets and we hope to see him improve in that area.

“Sunday for Nico in Austria was increasingly difficult and he was unfortunately hampered at the start. The anti-stall system on his car kicked in which put him to the back by the first corner and severely damaged his race. We need to investigate why this happened and ensure it doesn’t occur again. We tried something different with Nico’s strategy after he struggled on the Supersoft tyres, but in the end it did not quite work out. Again, all for review and part of our ongoing development.

“As well as reflecting over our forty-year history at Silverstone we will also be looking very much to the future and we will unveil a new garage. The garage at a Grand Prix is where all the race weekend work takes place to the cars and it’s also a showroom to our participation in Formula 1.

“The British Grand Prix marks the beginning of a sequence of strong chassis developments and I hope to see the installation progress on the upcoming races. It’s an important few weeks before the mid-season break and it’s vital that our hard work is maintained.

“Silverstone is located a short drive from our Enstone base so we look forward to welcoming many friends and family to come join us for a cup of tea. We hope for all to be able to celebrate a positive result on Sunday.”

Bouncing back

Chief Technical Officer Bob Bell wants to ensure the team make a swift return to the points at the British Grand Prix on a track which can throw up a number of surprises.

What challenges does Silverstone present?
BB: It’s a flowing circuit, quite different to what we have seen so far this season, so it will be an interesting benchmark. As a circuit, it’s fast with numerous high speed corners. It’s not the smoothest circuit, but it doesn’t have particularly nasty kerbs like Austria which gave us bodywork damage. It’s not as hard on brakes as Austria, but it puts a lot of energy on the tyres, especially the left-hand side so you usually get left-front graining amidst other issues.

It will be interesting to see how the Medium compound goes around Silverstone. Sometimes drivers don’t like the softer compounds, they prefer the more robust tyre for the high-speed turns, so we will have to wait and see. The layout will test our car’s balance as it has shown a propensity to be a bit nervous in the high speed corners, so that’s something we’ll be monitoring.

Ultimately for us, we are midway through the season and we have a lot to do to make up for the second half.

What are your thoughts post Austria?
BB: It was a disappointment as we went there expecting more. It’s a hard circuit in many ways, especially on tyres and good performance in the race is down to tyre management. We had a difficult start which put Nico on the back-foot. Jo got within striking distance from the points, which was a strong effort from him.

We are analysing Nico’s problem. It sits very squarely between the engine and the clutch and gearbox. These problems can be quite widespread so we need to take our time to analyse the data carefully and fully understand the issue and see what to do next. We need to perform and start scoring points again on a regular basis. That’s the aim, it always is. We will try hard at Silverstone to come home with some points and do justice to the 40th year anniversary celebrations.

Need for speed

A challenging Austrian Grand Prix for Nico Hülkenberg means he has extra determination to strive for points on a fast and flowing Silverstone circuit.

What do you make of Silverstone?
NH: Silverstone is a high-speed circuit with lots of old corner combinations such as Maggots, Becketts and Chapel which are truly awesome. There are so many great corners where you really feel the forces of a Formula 1 car. You have to really work your neck in the build-up before Silverstone to get ready for the high G forces and it’s important to be ready for it. At Silverstone we’ll really feel the extra cornering forces from the cars this season. We need good high speed balance on the car to maximise our performance. It’s a challenging lap but also a lot of fun and very special.

And what about the British atmosphere?
NH: Silverstone is one of the historic races on the calendar. You really get a feel for the roots of racing there. The atmosphere is buzzing and that always give me an extra boost, especially as my Formula 1 home for so many years was just outside the gates. You get a great feeling when you’re driving with the thousands of fanatical Formula 1 supporters cheering you on. It’s one of those special races because the grandstands are full – all around the circuit and across the entire weekend. There’s a really cool, traditional atmosphere about the place which is great to experience. You always see how much the fans love the sport. It will be a busy weekend with lots of people and lots of sponsors there to see us, especially with the 40th anniversary celebrations.

How do you sum up Austria?
NH: Sunday wasn’t good, but Saturday was more positive, P11 on the grid was probably the best we could have done. In the race, the anti-stall at the start kicked in and we dropped to the back, we need to review what happened and make sure it doesn’t happen again. I was almost last by the first corner and it was difficult after that. I struggled on the Supersoft tyres and I wasn’t making ground, so we switched to the Softs to try something different. I lost a lot of time with the front runners and blue flags, so it was difficult. We will analyse, regroup and go again in a couple of days.

Home comforts

Jolyon Palmer narrowly missed out on the points in Spielberg, but the Brit is ready for his home Grand Prix where a maiden top ten finish of the season is within reach.

Is it exciting to race in your home Grand Prix?
JP: I’m really looking forward to racing in front of the home crowd. I love the track and it’s always a special weekend at Silverstone. People always turn out in huge numbers and they are very passionate which really pushes us drivers. My first Grand Prix at Silverstone was when I was six and a fan, so it’s special to be there with lots of reminiscing. It’s always a great experience.

Do you like the circuit?
JP: It’s certainly the Formula 1 track that I know the best so I’m hoping that gives me an extra boost along with all the home support. There are lots of high speed corners which are cool to drive and a lap has a really good flow to it. I had my first race at Silverstone when I was fifteen so I know the place pretty well! I’ve been on the podium a few times throughout my career including a win in Formula Two and second and third places in GP2.

What are your post-race feelings from Spielberg?
JP: It was a solid race and I was pushing like hell at the end. We were so close to the points, but it was another eleventh place! Overall, it was a decent weekend. I made a small mistake in qualifying which put us out in Q1, with the times so very close in Austria. The race was quite good, but I was behind Lance Stroll for over 40 laps, and I just wasn’t able to pass him no matter how hard I tried! Silverstone’s my home race so I am excited for that. I am going there after a fairly positive weekend, so I am aiming to keep the momentum and get those points.

RED BULL DRIVERS PREVIEW THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX

SPIELBERG, AUSTRIA - JULY 09:  Daniel Ricciardo of Australia driving the (3) Red Bull Racing Red Bull-TAG Heuer RB13 TAG Heuer on track during the Formula One Grand Prix of Austria at Red Bull Ring on July 9, 2017 in Spielberg, Austria.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool  // P-20170709-03928 // Usage for editorial use only // Please go to www.redbullcontentpool.com for further information. //

Red Bull drivers preview the British Grand Prix, Round 10 of the 2017 Formula 1 World Championship, at Silverstone.

Daniel Ricciardo: “Looking ahead to the British Grand Prix, I actually made my F1 race debut at Silverstone so it will always be a special track for that reason. I have driven at Silverstone since I raced in British F3 and I’ve always enjoyed the high speed combinations of Copse, Maggots, Becketts and Stowe; that part of real estate is seriously some of the best in Formula 1. This year with the higher speeds Silverstone will be even better. I think Copse should be full throttle and if so, that will be intense. We will be getting a lot of Gs through the high speed sections and it will be one of the biggest physical challenges this season.”

“The British fans are amazing, we have raced there in boiling heat, well not boiling heat really but for the English it’s boiling heat, also hail and rain and they will come early in the morning and stay until late in the evening. They are real motorsport fans, they love it and they are also loyal. Loyal to the local drivers but also happy to see any of us drivers and show us support, it’s a great atmosphere.”

Max Verstappen: “Heading to Silverstone will hopefully again bring me a good result. With the new cars and regulations I think it will be really physical so I’m looking forward to testing myself there. I always enjoy driving Silverstone and now with the new cars I think Becketts and Maggotts are going to be the stand out corners and a bit different than last season. Flat out through Copse is also something that gets the heart beating every lap, it’s a unique circuit and one I am always looking forward to on the calendar.”

RICCIARDO READY TO GIVE THE SHOEY THE BOOT

SPIELBERG, AUSTRIA - JULY 09:  Daniel Ricciardo of Australia and Red Bull Racing celebrates finishing in third place on the podium during the Formula One Grand Prix of Austria at Red Bull Ring on July 9, 2017 in Spielberg, Austria.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool  // P-20170709-04088 // Usage for editorial use only // Please go to www.redbullcontentpool.com for further information. //

Daniel Ricciardo fears that his podium ‘shoey’ ritual dreaded by rival drivers and supposedly loved by some Formula 1 fans as well as anyone else not in drinking distance, may be getting out of control.

The big smiling Australian’s signature celebration involves the pouring of podium champagne into a sweaty racing boot, which an unlucky victim is then urged to share in front of a global audience.

With the Red Bull driver having notched up five podiums in a row, including a surprise victory in Azerbaijan at the end of June, the world has been watching plenty of shoeys this season.

At the last two races, Azerbaijan and Austria, they were instigated more by podium interviewers – former racers David Coulthard and Martin Brundle – than the happy driver.

“I honestly didn’t plan on doing it. Even in Baku I was, like, ‘ah, I won’t do it’,” Ricciardo told reporters on Thursday when asked about his plans for Sunday’s British Grand Prix.

“DC (Coulthard) took my shoes off and then in Austria Martin was frothing for it. I feel like there’s some real sick bastards around here. I never thought it would continue like this.”

Ricciardo said fans were even shouting “shoey” during an “F1 Live” promotional event in central London on Wednesday.

“I’m just walking along, minding my business and they’re like ‘do a shoey’…I don’t actually just take my shoe off while I’m walking in the street and drink out of it. I feel like I dug a hole for myself with this one,” he grinned.

“On that note, I feel like it’s been fun. I want to say it’s run its course; we’ll see what happens.”

In Austria, while television commentator Brundle drank deeply from the shoe, Mercedes’ race winner Valtteri Bottas made himself scarce.

Ricciardo was unimpressed, even if he conceded that the shoey could be risky when races were back-to-back because the top three could all pick up something that put them in hospital for a week.

“I heard the Finns drink. I really heard that. But Valtteri did not carry his flag well last Sunday,” he said. “Shame on him. Wow. Valtteri Bottas. Disappointed. That’s it. No more shoeys.”

Triple world champion Lewis Hamilton, Bottas’s teammate and Sunday’s race favourite, was with the Finn. I still stand firm on the toe jam stuff. The juice from the foot is not something I wish to drink. Especially someone else’s.”

VETTEL TO TEST THE SHIELD DURING SILVERSTONE FP1

sebastian vettel, the shield

The first images have been released of Formula 1’s latest cockpit protection device – The Shield – attached to the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel who will debut the safety system during the first free practice session of the British Grand Prix.

The FIA describe the device as “a transparent open canopy system constructed using polycarbonate, the Shield is aimed at providing significant protection from debris, while ensuring unrestricted forward vision for the driver.”

“A possible geometry  has been developed and the FIA is currently working with teams in Formula One on further defining its geometry. A number of indoor and outdoor tests are currently being conducted.”

“In an effort to get initial feedback from drivers at the earliest possible stage of development, a short track will be conducted at the British Grand Prix, in the first free practice session.”

The Shield is the latest in cockpit safety concepts that the FIA have studied with the view to making it (or similar system) mandatory from as early as 2018.

TORO ROSSO IN HOT WATER OVER SAINZ’S UNSAFE CAR

tororossoteher2.jpg

Toro Rosso Formula 1 were summoned to British Grand Prix stewards on Thursday for attempting to enter Carlos Sainz’s car in an unsafe condition.

The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement that the Spaniard’s car was found to have a damaged wheel tether (pictured above) in pre-event scrutineering: “During initial scrutineering car number 55 was found to have a damaged wheel tether.”

“The scrutineers made the team Scuderia Toro Rosso aware of this and asked the team to replace it. The team refused to follow the instructions of the scrutineers and therefore the technical delegate checked the damaged tether himself and found that the tether was not only damaged but also several cut fibres were knotted together.”

“Therefore the team was aware of the damaged tether and presented the car in an unsafe condition for scrutineering.”

Earlier in an an official bulletin, with regards to Sainz’s car, the stewards reported an “Alleged breach of Article 3.3 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations and Article 12.1.1.b of the FIA International Sporting Code, in an attempt to enter in a competition a car in an unsafe condition.”

BRATCHES: WE WILL BURN OUR DIGITAL PLATFORM DOWN AND BUILD A NEW ONE

Sean Bratches

Formula 1 is set on a course to enlarge its popularity and make itself more accessible to the general public its commercial director Sean Bratches has revealed, while stating that the sport’s archaic digital presence will be demolished to make way for a state-of-the-art new media platform.

Bratches, who joined Formula 1 in January this year when Liberty Media bought it from long-time owner Bernie Ecclestone, began his career in advertising after leaving Rochester, confirmed he was developing digital products so that fans could enjoy the sport not just on the weekend the F1 circus stops by.

“Outside the circuit, we’re developing content that fans can consume outside Grand Prix weekends for good content,” he said. “We are re-imagining our digital assets from the ground-up.”

“We’re launching new products and services so it’s really… the opportunities are manifold, very exciting. The reactions we’re getting from the fans today are extraordinary.”

Bratches, though, said he had been shocked by the state he had found the digital platforms when he arrived and a complete overhaul is required.

“Our digital platforms, our websites, the incumbency we’re going to burn it to the ground, we’re going to build a new one from the ground-up using state of the art technology in the marketplace.”

“Today, we’re the most technologically advanced sport on the planet and we need a digital platform that represents that.”

Bratches added that part of this strategy would be more of the type of F1 live events that took place on Wednesday in London ahead of this weekend’s British Grand Prix.

The event was a huge success with the different stables and their drivers occupying Trafalgar Square during the day and then delighting the fans and lookers-on by driving a short circuit up Whitehall and then back again.

“It’s the first time in 67 years in the history of this sport that all teams have got together to do something outside a Grand-Prix week-end,” purred Bratches.

“We’ve got incredible support, they believe in our vision and in what we try to accomplish. We’re basically trying to put more water in the ocean to raise all boats.”

Bratches, who was head hunted after 27 years at broadcaster ESPN, said these would become a feature of the circuit in the coming years rather like the fan zones that have been such a huge success at major football tournaments.

“We’re going to see more of these events, I think in London and around the world,” said Bratches. “We’re very interested in creating fans festivals in city centres and proximity to Grand Prix, and I’m actually working on a plan to do that now, we’re going to put our foot in the water next year.”

Bratches, who starred at lacrosse at university for Rochester Institute of Technology in the United States earning a reputation as a ‘hard-nosed midfielder’, said that the goal was to strip away a perception that Formula One was elitist.

“The opportunity from a fan standpoint, and to engage them, and to activate them, and really I would say, take down a little bit this curtain of exclusivity allowing them to touch the iconography,” he said.

“To feel it, the sound and the speed, to move people viscerally, we’re trying to accomplish that on multiple levels.”

ALONSO ON BACK FOOT BEFORE SILVERSTONE WEEKEND BEGINS

Fernando Alonso

Fernando Alonso is already on the back foot, for this weekend’s British Grand Prix, before an engine has been fired up in anger, but should race with the latest specification Honda engine.

Last week in Austria he had to ditch the updated ‘Spec-3’ Honda power unit, but problems with it’s MGU-H forced the team to revert to the previous specification engine.

A fifth energy-store on the power unit has had to be installed, which will result in a five place grid penalty for the race at Silverstone on Sunday.

Honda may choose to make additional changes and incur further penalties, at the high speed venue, which will not be their friend this weekend. But on a positive note would mean they head to the twisty Hungaroring, in two weeks time, uncompromised.

Alonso has scored two points so far this season, McLaren’s only points thus far. Since his return to the team in 2015 has never finished higher than fifth. The double F1 World Champion won the Birtish Grand Prix in 2006 and 2011.

PU elements used per driver up to now:

PU.jpg

HONDA: WE DO NOT COMMENT ON SAUBER SPECULATION

Sauber Honda

Honda have scoffed at speculative reports claiming they are looking to terminate their deal to supply Sauber Formula 1 engines from 2018 and beyond because they have little confidence in the new regime at the Swiss team.

Reports have emerged suggesting that Honda were disappointed when Sauber and Monisha Kaltenbron parted ways. They had negotiated the deal with her when she was at the helm of the team, and now are supposedly lost confidence in the team.

But a Honda spokesperson said of the reports,  “It is purely a media speculation and we do not comment on the speculation.”

This week Sauber chairman, Pascal Picci, Chairman welcomed ART Grand Prix founder and former Renault F1 chief Frédéric Vasseur to the team who has prioritised sorting out the situation with Honda.

The Frenchman told L’Equipe, “The Honda issue is on the table. It is the first thing I’m going to work on. We need to sort this out quickly. From what I hear from McLaren, it could be daunting.”

Asked for the current status of their relationship with Sauber, the Honda spokesperson said, “None of our members have met Mr. Vaseeur yet so nothing to comment on it either.”