US FDA issuing new regulation on cigars and other tobacco products

I just heard today (and it was news to me) that the US FDA has issued a new regulation in Aug 2016 on tobacco products such as cigars. There are probably (as always) good narratives as to why more regulation may be a good thing (don't want to go down this rabbit hole). But the bottom line is that it will increase the cost and lead time for registering new products and likely reduce competition for new entrants of cigars in the US market (such as Cubans?) and/or variety (such as LE's, RE's, etc).

http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/RulesRegulationsGuidance/ucm394909.htm

On the upside, this could perhaps be good news for everyone living outside the US as there is a common concern for many non-US cigar smokers (and maybe including myself too;) that an end to the embargo would open this huge market to Cuban cigars (potentially affecting availability, cost or quality for the rest of the world).

Or am I maybe misinterpreting this regulation and it's possible consequences? Any thoughts?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Considering how many US based people (both here and on other forums) have asked questions (or didn't know anything about it) in regards to this over the last 12 months the CRA really needs to take a look at its marketing

You'd think a lobby group founded solely to keep these restrictions away would ensure every cigar or pipe smoker in the US was aware of what was going on 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm imagining this but I'm in no hurry for them to bring CC into USA...

Look at some of the high prices of inferior Honduran, Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars... whether it be price gouging, price-fixing or taxes I expect to pay more when they're sold in the US.

Am I all wet here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SaintMickey® said:

Maybe I'm imagining this but I'm in no hurry for them to bring CC into USA...

Look at some of the high prices of inferior Honduran, Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars... whether it be price gouging, price-fixing or taxes I expect to pay more when they're sold in the US.

Am I all wet here?

True, but these regulations have the power to put a lot of the indoor smoking lounges in the US out of business in the long term

Any government regulation on cigars will eventually impact you, even if you don't smoke NCs  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, polarbear said:

True, but these regulations have the power to put a lot of the indoor smoking lounges in the US out of business in the long term

Any government regulation on cigars will eventually impact you, even if you don't smoke NCs  

I didn't read that into it...

It requires health warnings on roll-your-own tobacco, cigarette tobacco, and certain newly regulated tobacco products and also bans free samples. In addition, because of the rule, manufacturers of newly regulated tobacco products that were not on the market as of February 15, 2007, will have to show that products meet the applicable public health standard set by the law. And those manufacturers will have to receive marketing authorization from the FDA.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm506676.htm

I of course agree that ANY more Government involvement in ANY part of my life is not welcomed...

• Like 1

Well, I work in a FDA (and EMEA and CN FDA and EPA, etc) regulated environment. As someone on another post has put it: "its bureaucracy at its best". And these guys know their job. So if they are given the task to regulate, I expect that they will enforce regulation and punish any attempt to overcome it.
Not sure how all will exactly fold out but I agree with polarbear and wouldn't expect nothing to change.
For sure: Non registered products will stop being traded in the US. Registered products will pass on their higher cost to consumers. Variety of products will fall.
Potentially: Due to lower competition, prices will likely increase (an effect widely seen in regulated markets)

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Look, on January 20 we (the USA) will have a new government in place and most likely a new FDA czar. Let's remain optimistic that these onerous regulations on handmade cigars will be lifted, or at least amended. Obama and his policies are out the door real soon!

• Like 1

Look, on January 20 we (the USA) will have a new government in place and most likely a new FDA czar. Let's remain optimistic that these onerous regulations on handmade cigars will be lifted, or at least amended. Obama and his policies are out the door real soon!

This is a good point I believe the new administration will be more business friendly and less regulation happy.

• Like 2