Calling all audiophiles: advice please!!

So, my wife is insisting she be able to start spinning her old vinyl again, and I can't say that's disappointing to me....  Would like to myself.  

I need a recommendation for a phonograph preamp. I have a pal that is an electronics geek that can build me some wonderful sounding tube preamps and I might should give him a call, but I don't want to shell out a load of dough if there's a really good solid state unit commercially available.  I currently have a very modest home theatre system consisting of a Yamaha RX-V467 receiver that dose not have a phono preamp. No, not fancy, but I've been plenty happy with it.  home speakers are fairly simple Polk Monitor 50's  and Polks largest sub (12" IIRC).  Also, I'll need to cop a fair decent turntable so any recommendations there would be welcome as well.   

Edit: I don't need to be the best in the neighborhood, but would like something better than a cheapo combo turntable/speaker outfit.

:2thumbs:

To do vinyl well requires a very large investment of time and money.  I went down that path 10-15 years ago before the price of the equipment and records more than doubled.  Even if the prices hadn't shot up, I wouldn't make that time and $ investment again.  You can beat the sound of digital (marginally), but the effort and expense isn't worth the gains.  The effort of setup, record cleaning and stylus care took away from my enjoyment of music.  Also, you need the rest of your equipment to be top notch to detect the slight advantage of vinyl - which is only perceptible when everything is working right.  I haven't bought an LP in five years.

Other than the recent increases in LP/LP equipment prices, the other change is that so much music is now more available.  The streaming services have so much now - rare things I used to spend hours looking for on LP.  One of the big benefits was finding things that were never released digitally.  That list is dwindling.

For your purposes, which is to have fun spinning some of your old records on a consumer-grade home theatre system, spend a little as possible.  Keep the turntable/preamp under $500.  You may find that it just gathers dust after the novelty wears off in a year. 

Something gently used like this (with built in preamp) may be just the thing:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-denon-dp300f-turntable-2016-12-28-analog-32713-debary-fl

If you have a yamaha receiver you maybe able to simply buy an outboard phono stage and connect it to an AUX input on your receiver. I purchased a Music Hall outboard mm/mc amp and connected to my existing preamp. There a plenty of turntables online that can be had for a song and may only require a new phono cartridge. There are a couple vinylphiles here that can tell you more than I, but two resources I recently used were Jerry Raskins Needle Doctor and Audio Advisor, both of which offer everything you need to get back into vinyl at various price points. Links below.

http://www.needledoctor.com

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=78

All good suggestions. My favorite so far is to keep this under $500 -- you should be able to get some decent sound with this budget. I'm not sure what condition your wife's vinyl is in but if it was played with any regularity, it's probably less than mint condition. It's entirely likely that after listening to her records your wife may lose some of her nostalgic feelings towards them. She may not remember her records sounding so poorly and she may find the rituals involved with playing records such as cleaning the record, cleaning the needle, cueing the record, flipping the record, etc.. to be simply tedious.

There is, however, a possibility that you may both enjoy everything about spinning vinyl :-)

Personally, I love it. Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hedgeybaby said:

How much do you want to spend?

You can shell out really silly money on audio equipment.  Regarding the turntable, I have heard good things about these: http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/essential-iii/proj-esse-iii-blk and the price is fairly decent.

I want to spend my money on cigars....

Yeah, I could do that on a turn table....  Really would like to keep it around the $200 mark or nearby. 

11 hours ago, Graceland said:

For the turntable, Linn still makes one of the best out there.

Check out the Linn Klimax LP12 https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separates/turntables/complete#klimax-lp12

Match it with the Naim Audio NAC 552 Pre-Amp  https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nac-552

Your vinyl will love you

That's fancy stuff...  Really fancy.....   Would likely have to sell my entire CC collection to fund it I'm afraid....  :lookaround:

5 hours ago, Blazer said:

If you have a yamaha receiver you maybe able to simply buy an outboard phono stage and connect it to an AUX input on your receiver. I purchased a Music Hall outboard mm/mc amp and connected to my existing preamp. There a plenty of turntables online that can be had for a song and may only require a new phono cartridge. There are a couple vinylphiles here that can tell you more than I, but two resources I recently used were Jerry Raskins Needle Doctor and Audio Advisor, both of which offer everything you need to get back into vinyl at various price points. Links below.

http://www.needledoctor.com

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=78

Yeah, that's probably resonable, and I was kind of thinking that too....  I'll check 'em out.  Thanks!

In my old turntable days Thorens was the brand to go for. Made in Germany. Excellent quality and very robust (I still got one in my basement). Probably you still can get a good one for a good deal in eBay (I bought myself some high end music equipment from the 80s for a steal a few years ago on eBay)

http://www.thorens.com/turntables/drives.html

Good luck!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Greetings - new member here! Audio is a big passion of mine, so I couldn't resist the opportunity to share my two cents...

For turntables, I highly recommend Rega.  They have products at many price levels that offer excellent performance for the dollar. They are very easy to set-up and operate, too.  If you enjoy tweaking your system, there are dozens of aftermarket parts available that will allow you to "upgrade" your 'table to your heart's content.  Don't be afraid to buy a used table - they offer excellent value and there's not a lot to go wrong.    

For a phono preamp, have a look at the Lounge Audio LCR Mk. III.  For $300, I don't think you can do better.   It has a very unique topology that historically has only been used in a handful of mega-$ preamps.  An audiophile friend of mine has this preamp, and can't stop raving about it.   

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

mwaller  

• Like 2

I love the old Akai stuff from the 1970's fantastic value for money and you can't go past that big silver look with all those dials. It still beats most of the modern audio stuff on offer today and is more robust. I just picked up an AA 1040 tuner amp on eBay for $95. I'm using a turntable that my father bought over 45 years ago. It's branded Peak but it looks very much like the Rega brand of table. I know some people complain about how labor intensive it is using a turntable and vinyl records but for me that is part of the charm, handling the records, the art on the covers, even the smell of them. It's also relaxing sitting there with a scotch and watching the record turn with the light turned down. 

• Like 1

So, I really queried my wife some more last night, and it seems she is longing to hear her old records because they aren't available on CD and she has no way to play them.....  Wondering if a USB turntable would be the ticket.  Could play through the stereo (I think they all have line level output???) and maybe make her some CDs of her old music. 

Anyone have experience with that kind of product?   She bought one several years ago that was complete garbage and makes absolutely horrible recordings.  Don't need another like that.  It was "Ion" brand and I think $100 at a Barnes and Noble bookstore. 

17 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

Wondering if a USB turntable would be the ticket. 

Don't bother with this garbage...any of them.  Stick to MP3 if you're going to go down this route.

Linn LP-12 turntable is indeed sublime but it's not cheap.  I'd stick to Rega if you're looking for new or used for that matter.  For a pre-pre-amp (phono preamp), I've had some great result from a few Chinese tube amp makers (Antique Sound Lab, Grant Fidelity, and Shanling).  Paired that with some good speakers and a nice tube integrated amp and the music will change you.  Keep in mind that some integrated tube amps already have phono input.  What you look at will depend on budget of course. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1/2 the problem solved.  Been visiting my parents (same house I grew up in) and Dad was always an avid vinyl listener.  And it turns out he kept his old turntable!   He has nothing to play on it now and no stereo to play it through and told me to take it with me when I go home today.   Super!   Just need to pack it and ship it, but it was always a winner then, and ought to be now.   A little clean and grease and I'll let you know how it works.

image.jpeg

edit:  and he found a little something else too.....   I have the morning to get it all safely packed to ship home.   Better hurry!!

image.jpeg 

Ready to box and ship:

image.jpeg

I think you'll be pleased.  I started my audiophile journey with a similar consumer grade Technics from the 1980's.  The biggest difference you'll notice when stepping up the ladder is deeper, more articulate bass.  

Let us know how it goes!

concerning your system,try to find a stereo shop that can set up your stylus.

The system is called Accutrack,and uses a special test disc and oscilloscope.

I had this done by a buddy who worked in a really high end shop,and the result was astonishing.

I wanted to go big with the cartridge and all, and he said to relax and let him show me. 

I ended up with a really amazing sound ,and did not have to buy the top of the line cartridge.

I had a Dual table, Nakamichi Dragon cassette, Nakamichi NX-2 cassette,MacIntosh Amp, tuner,and speakers.

In essence,the system balances the stylus in the record groove to get peak sound and reduce wear and crosstalk,which returns exceptional sound.

Surely worth exploring.

If you don't want to go to the effort it takes to have the cartridge aligned properly, go for an elliptical stylus.  Any of the fancy stylus profiles (line contact, shibata, micro-line etc.) are much less forgiving of poor setup.  There are plenty of decent cartridges under $100 that will make you smile.

I'll check all those suggestions out fellows.  

First order of business it seems neither work properly ATM....   Everything I find online suggests easy fixes with a thorough cleaning of dried greas and fresh lube to the appropriate spots which I did as a teen to an old Mitsubishi table I had.  The Sony may need another repair, but online forums seem to say that's a fairly minor fix and, if not easily done, at least they can be managed with moderate skill. Hoping the Sony works eventually as that one gets the most buzz in online queries.  It's definitely heavier than the Technics unit and as nice, soft cushioned feet. 

Preamp search will commence once tables actually work properly.