Shelves and drawers for Newair 280E

Hurltim

2 hours ago, SloppyJ said:

Beautiful work! Now I just have to source some Spanish cedar locally. 

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/product/spa84.html

I would get the 8/4. Spanish cedar is pretty soft so you can rip this in half on a table saw and pay 5.50 a BF. I paid 11 a BF at a local store that didn't have 8/4.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally forgot to to post these after I finished. The shelves came out great. The drawers...meh. I understand the complaints about Forrest's drawers fitting loosely and not really fitting the width and angle of the cooler sides. The shelf part of the drawer is actually wider than the angled face. I cut the sides of the drawer face to match the angles of the sides for a nice flush fit (15 deg angle or 75 deg miter). The shelf part is actually a bit wider. I think building the drawer then gluing runners on the sides would be easier and more aesthetic.
I milled my own lumber so I could dial in the wood thickness to match the slot thickness. The slot is .452" so if you use 3/8" lumber, it's going to fit a bit loose. I milled it to .455 and it fits perfectly.
The other thing I noticed is that when you pull out the drawer or shelf, it hits the door if you either don't open it wide enough or open it too wide. I think those are the two reasons the aftermarket drawers fit loose.
I can refine the design but it isn't really worth the effort right now. My honey-do list is pretty long.
81010b942630dcd7473f70f7e8ce8c49.jpg61462bd219fd4bdf5745712066a91b6e.jpg8c186f4d44616ab62dca37ef1558bc7f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Hi.  Those are stunning shelves/drawers and you've got one hell-of-a workshop! Yeah the tongue/groove looks mint - no way I'm gonna attempt that kind of workmanship.

I'm considering getting a Dewalt DWE7491RS as my first table saw to fool around with some 3/8" spanish cedar 4"x36" sheets I picked up....for my Newair 281

On 9/24/2016 at 1:46 PM, BarryNY said:

Hi.  Those are stunning shelves/drawers and you've got one hell-of-a workshop! Yeah the tongue/groove looks mint - no way I'm gonna attempt that kind of workmanship.

I'm considering getting a Dewalt DWE7491RS as my first table saw to fool around with some 3/8" spanish cedar 4"x36" sheets I picked up....for my Newair 281

I have a three phase mid 70's Delta Unisaw. I picked it up on CL for 500 bucks and spend around 200 for a 3 HP VFD. Did the same for my '55 Oliver jointer. Worst case scenario, you can sell them for what you paid for them. I would love to upgrade to an older Powermatic 66 one of these days or break down and get a Saw Stop. 

I picked up a Grizzly planer for 500. The guy ran 2K BF of white oak for his floors then sold it. I still haven't had to sharpen the blades yet. 

Old 'Arn tools are awesome if you have the room. I would love a 16"+ jointer so I could fully machine 15" boards. Those bigger jointers are like aircraft carriers. 

Very nice work, and so thoroughly executed! Although more laborious as you say, to me, a so much nicer wood working as if you had just cut out the gratings with a router. I like that. A shame one won't see it most of the time... Very well done!

3 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Very nice work, and so thoroughly executed! Although more laborious as you say, to me, a so much nicer wood working as if you had just cut out the gratings with a router. I like that. A shame one won't see it most of the time... Very well done!

Thanks! I have all the dimensions if someone needs to make them. The wait is pretty long for Forrest and the other guy that makes these so I figured I would post up a build as a reference point for others. 

Yes, Tim nice job!

If you are planning on running the cooler be very careful about this space getting warm and wet. Yes, logic and physics says different, but experience tells me otherwise.

You now have substantially restricted the air down here and this means that the cooler air (therefore the dried air from around the cooler) will likely stay in the mid-back area. Look, I am not saying that you are 'going' to have problems here, just to look out for them. Airflow (and then water vapor flow) in controlled coolers is a really big deal.

Nice job man, it is nice to see guys doing their own work. You have skills my man! Good to see a man, with 'man' skills!!! -LOL Work on the trailering now!!! -LOL

-R

(Still owe you an eM, hopefully today)

Thank you sir!
Yeah she needs some fans down behind the bottom drawer. The drawers are embarassingly empty for now but they won't be for long. We still haven't turned the heat on (82 right now outside) so it's been running. I have been trying to drop the rh down do 62% but my temp is still 62-67 deg. So yeah, rh is impossible to control at this moment lol! Im just trying to keep it in the ballpark until we crank the heat and ambient settles in at 68.
At best it's an interim solution until I get the big one built.

22 hours ago, Fugu said:

What did you finally come up with for the finish of the fronts? Keeping them raw (appears they got a slight bit of sheen in one of the pics)?

Yeah. Just sanded to 220. I really didn't want to take the chance of the off odor although the everclear and shellac flakes may get tried at a later date. 

I think I wasn't much different than everybody else and swooned at the nice pics of the 5 drawers and a shelf. It took my 1st delivery from here to figure out that box storage is way more important than singles storage. One drawer at the top and two or three shelves...done. That's really all you need. Practical vs. Pretty.

Shelves for cigars... I can work with that. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...