Wine cellar - can it be used or converted into a humidor? (Pictures enclosed)

CigarSeeker

I have the opportunity to purchase this freestanding wine cellar. It has a built in cooling unit that needs the fans replaced but the compressor is working. I would probably purchase a Moist n air active humidifier to maintain humidity along with few pounds of heartfelt beads. 

My question is, should I take on this project or will this be a failure and a total waste of my money? I need space and I'm out growing 2 wineadors.. :huh:

Piggy, I'm looking for your advice and guidance please. :rolleyes:

Thank you. 

IMG_6385.jpg

FullSizeRender_10.jpg

FullSizeRender_11.jpg

In the most basic consideration, worst case, just see it as a cupboard/cabinet, perhaps with some decent insulation if you're lucky.

You'll probably have to completely de-gut it and install proper climatization. Can't comment on whether you'll be able to use its current cooling system, at least you'd need a modified controller. So, I'd say it all boils down on pricing. If you can make a good deal, why not grab it. From the pics, hardware looking decent to me.

Just my very general 2cts. Others might be able to comment more specifically.

Cheers
Goo

• Like 1

Where to start? One step at a time I suppose.

How much does it cost? No, you don't have to answer that, not to me, but to yourself in order that you may rationalize the project and the purchase.

Can I make that thing work, probably? With candor not meant to insult, can another person? It depends on the standard that one holds for his work and taste. It depends on the skill, tenacity and financial resources? Did I mention patience? I have not met another that has my skill in making precision humidors. Yet I have met hundreds of people who believe what they have made is good enough for them. What matters to me is the proof that it works. What matters to most is that they think it works... You have to fit in there somewhere and it is not up to me to fit you in.

I can see s lot of potential problems here but I cannot make judgments about solutions until the appliances are opened for me to examine.

There is a lot of room, therefore a 'lot' of room for improvements... This is a good thing. She will need a massive circulation overhaul. Either a false back or ducted fans to move cool air from top to bottom and move water vapor from bottom to top.

All the controls and sensors are likely garbage!

You will either need to be creative with sheet metal, or my preference ABS plastic sheeting to modify the cooling unit. You will have to take over its function with a "precision" PLC. Precision meaning, the ability to control activation logic within a very small number. Without this, your overshoot will kill the stability of the project (if that is important to you).

Well, I guess I had better get to caveats... It really depends on how well you want it to work I suppose. If you have the tolerance that most cigar smokers do, a fan, a hydra and 30 lbs of beads will do ya'... -LOL

Ultimately, it is up to you, not me! What is your tolerance for climate change in storage? Is is the size that matters, or the function that matters?

Is there water damage inside? I ask this because I have some knowledge about these appliances. This cooler will have a tub of some sort to capture condensate. That needs to be intact and not leaking!!! That is very important... You will need to capture and utilize that condensate, or you will need an endless stream of highly filtered water and a local drain. I would not surprise me if this system generates 2 gallons of condensate a day.

You should open the cooling unit and inspect it. It will likely need to be fully cleaned. Look for mold and corrosion, rust, and evidence of leakage.

All for now. Let me know what you decide please, I am curious. Best of luck on the project.

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 1

Haha. Piggy pretty much covered it. Could you make it work? Definitely. Do you want a (much more involved than you think) project? If so, this could be a great candidate. Scrapping the existing cooling system completely will probably be your best bet, but with something that size you have plenty of options for cooling and circulation. 

The seal(or ability to easily seal) the cabinet and its physical condition would be the most important thing for me. The Climate control stuff can all be made much better as long as you are working with a "closed" system. If you are constantly dealing with outside air infiltration even Piggy wont be able to help! 

• Like 1

$600 is the price for this Cabinet. I'm thinking it needs a minimum of another $600 if not more to have it running. 

The cooling unit in there has a built-in LCD for temp control but I have ZERO experience with this type of a unit.