Netflix Series - Stranger Things

MIKA27

Netflix Series Stranger Things Looks Like It Owes A Major Debt To Spielberg's 1980s Thrillers

Kids on BMX bikes cruising misty suburban streets at night, Hazmat suit-clad figures with flashlights, a pigtailed blonde moppet, a wide-eyed boy, a desperate mother… all that appears to be missing from Netflix’s new series Stranger Things is a loveable, candy-obsessed alien, otherwise it’d be E.T.

OK, there are a few distinctions. Winona Ryder plays the frantic-yet-taking-no-bullshit-from-the-cops mother, and there’s clearly going to be some kind of nefarious organisation that’s using children for some mysterious, possibly supernatural purpose. That character with the shaved head and the spooky tattoo that you see in the trailer below is a little girl with what seems to be some big secrets.

Here’s what Netflix says about the show:

Set in Hawkins Indiana in the 1980’s, Stranger Things chronicles the search for a young boy who vanishes into thin air under highly suspicious circumstances. His mother (Winona Ryder) opens an investigation into the boy’s disappearance with local authorities that unravels a series of mysteries involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl. A love letter to the ubiquitous cult classics of the 80’s, Stranger Things is also a coming of age story for the boy’s three closest friends that draws them into a world where mysteries lurk beneath the surface.

We’ll be able to discern July 15 — when Stranger Things begins its eight-episode run — whether or not it has its own merits beyond worshipping at the altar of 1980s Steven Spielberg (and, looks like, 1980s Stephen King, too). As for relevant bona fides, creators Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer previously worked on episodes of Wayward Pines, while executive producer Shawn Levy (Reel Steel, Night at the Museum) is planning a remake of John Carpenter’s Starman.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/07/2016 at 10:29 PM, demer said:

I am pretty hyped for this. I miss some old feel good 80's sci fi which this looks to be.

The last movie I watched that felt 80's was SUPER 8, was pretty good. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched the first 3 episodes and it's AWESOME!!

Really brings back childhood memories of watching movies like ET, First encounters, Goonies et al.

Seriously need season 2 right through to season 100!! Hahah!

Just watched all 8 episodes over the weekend and really liked it. Great throwback to the 80s: clothes, music, dialogue, a great Coke commercial etc. Wynona was great, but the kids really steal the show. And a creepy Mathew Modine with equally creepy hair..well done Netflix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was really great. I had plans for yesterday but I watched the first episode and then just marathoned  through it and got nothing done. If this looks to be in your wheelhouse at all do yourself a favor and check it out.

Finished the series last night, brilliant, can't wait for season 2.

The actress playing Eleven, so young but her acting was better than everyone else's put together. Great show.