New/Experimental Wineador Build

Corylax18

I have just recently acquired a slightly used Vissani hvbc31st Wine cooler. The compressor is not functioning and I was able to pick it up for free.

My plan is to have some fun with it and build something with all external controls. I currently have a New Aire 280e running Heartfelt beads that's filling up, It has been working great for me so far, but I know I can do better, and like I said, I'm gunna need more room eventually.

At this point I am thinking active humidification along the lines of a Cigar Oasis or Hydra Unit, Replacing the burned out compressor unit with a new higher quality one, or possibly a TE unit, bypassing the units temp controller and adding circulation fans.

I will get some photos up of the unit as is, including the dimensions of the cutout that currently holds the compressor unit. My hope is to use this area to house the new equipment in an effort to maximize the usable internal space.

Any thoughts/comments/tips are appreciated!

I got the fridge cleaned up this weekend and investigate the cooling issue. From all appearances only the starter relay is burned out. The compressor is still functioning just fine. A new relay will be less than $10 bucks and only take about 5 minutes to swap out.

But I'm still not convinced I want to go the compressor route for cooling. Even if I do, the compressor in this model is panned pretty universally. This particular brand/model has roughly a 1 year to 18 month life before something burns out. The coil panel inside the fridge also takes up a huge amount of room. Does anybody have any insight as to how to remove a compressor safely? I've watched a few you tube videos, but depressurizing or draining the coolant still seems to be an issue.

So I am still leaning towards TE cooling, and a Hydra or Cigar Oasis unit installed in the space vacated by the compressor. I still need to order a couple data loggers, and obviously a bit more kit before I get this project up and running.

What are you guys running for data loggers? I am looking for something with wireless internet capability so that I can log to a back up hard drive.

Update 5/18/16 Photos Added:

post-28746-0-15261100-1463576038_thumb.j

post-28746-0-50831000-1463576042_thumb.j

post-28746-0-79870300-1463576046_thumb.j

post-28746-0-51497900-1463576050_thumb.j

post-28746-0-37377800-1463576055_thumb.j

post-28746-0-16315500-1463576060_thumb.j

post-28746-0-33417100-1463576065_thumb.j

Piggy, upon further review of my unit and your tutorial on "building an affordable electronic humidor" it appears the base layouts are almost Identical. I cant read any of the part #s off the compressor, but it is very similar in size, and wiring/plumbing layout to my unit.

I have compressor wine coolers that have run about 10 years now. In the early years I abused the hell out of my test boxes. I have short cycled them (and still do), I used to trip the thermal breakers all the time, I have run them in near 3 digit temperatures.

People panning compressor coolers for humidor use simply don't know what they are doing. The fact is, if you looked closely and data logged their TE cooler systems, you would find out that they don't work anywhere near as well as they think they are.

Before you reposted I was going to suggest that you examine the thermal breaker or the starter. These are common 'wear' items in refrigeration systems, as the coolers themselves are likely more robust than the electrical controls around them.

Allowing refrigerant to escape into the atmosphere (depending on where you live) is typically a crime (just an FYI). You might find a recycler that will evacuate it for free if you look around. It is silly to dispose of a superior cooling system, one that was free, for a poor performing one that you have to pay for! Just my 2cts.

Best of luck on your project!

-Piggy

I have compressor wine coolers that have run about 10 years now. In the early years I abused the hell out of my test boxes. I have short cycled them (and still do), I used to trip the thermal breakers all the time, I have run them in near 3 digit temperatures.

People panning compressor coolers for humidor use simply don't know what they are doing. The fact is, if you looked closely and data logged their TE cooler systems, you would find out that they don't work anywhere near as well as they think they are.

Before you reposted I was going to suggest that you examine the thermal breaker or the starter. These are common 'wear' items in refrigeration systems, as the coolers themselves are likely more robust than the electrical controls around them.

Allowing refrigerant to escape into the atmosphere (depending on where you live) is typically a crime (just an FYI). You might find a recycler that will evacuate it for free if you look around. It is silly to dispose of a superior cooling system, one that was free, for a poor performing one that you have to pay for! Just my 2cts.

Best of luck on your project!

-Piggy

Piggy,

Thanks for chiming in, I know you have a lot of good info to share in this realm. I was referring more to the spacial inefficiency and documented lack of quality with this particular model/setup. Not trying to compare or rank Compressor vs TE Cooling in general.

I agree that popping in a new starter relay is definitely the easiest/cheapest way to get up and running, but in the long run, I don't know if it will be the best way for me to achieve my goals in this situation. I really want to avoid putting a bunch of hours and $ into the project, only to have the compressor everything is based around burn out for good 6 months later. (I don't know how long the unit stayed plugged in with the damaged relay) I'm ok spending some (or probably all+) of the money I didn't spend on the cooler on higher quality systems/electronics to give me some piece of mind.

I would certainly never release the refrigerant into the atmosphere, crime or not. I will look into the recycling option, 110 and 250 PSI on the low/high side are probably a little much for me to mess with myself. I don't doubt (our endorse) the superiority of compressors over TE on a pure cooling/efficiency basis. If there were a compressor and coil option that took up 30% to 40% as much room as the existing unit and could be relied upon I wouldn't hesitate. From my current research that isn't a viable option.

After seeing the pics I can see why you are looking to gut it. This wrap-around evaporation coil is going to be the devil to deal with. While I cannot come together with you (on opinions) regarding the possibility of a TE cooler, I can see where attacking this conversion based on my ideas and designs will take a lot of tenacity and won't be for the faint of heart.

Best of luck on your project.

Cheers! -Piggy