coming out of the closet

Wrangler

Hey FOH knowledge holders.

I recently moved my humidor from a closet upstairs to my office down stairs. In the closet I ran about 71 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm now at 76 Degrees in the office. I know what a hot mess it is coming out of the closet now...LOL!!

Question- is it going to negatively affect the cigars keeping the at 76 degrees Long term? ( RH63 ).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I think the consensus answer you're going to get is "yes, too warm". Increases the possibility of beetle larvae hatching and munching on your cigars. You might be able to counteract that possibility by the freezing process, though.

I'll defer to those more learned than I.

At 76F? The textbook answer is yes but at 76F (24c), I don't think it's a problem. I have a desktop humidor which I keep my CCs, at 82-83F (not by choice obviously) for years, (I have a cigar fridge as well) no issues at this level of heat. All the cigars smoked well.

Can't speak for NCCs, haven't had much of those.

Like any textbook advice; do try to keep the temperature lower if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At those high temps you risk beetles hatching and possible mold if R.H. increases a bit. Not good, IMO

If you live in a hot climate AZ, consider a wine cooler humidor.

• Like 1

What part of Cuba is below 70˚F?

I think that the only accurate answer here is the one based on beetles. There are facts that are associated with beetle activity and that cannot be denied. While a side note, I read an interesting article recently about the mortality rate of beetle eggs and temperature but that is not really my point.

76F is not going to do any damage to your cigars! IMHO it is easier to store cigars at this temp due to the fact that higher water content is harder to maintain in cigars as the temperature increases. It is much easier to get higher water content and capillary water in cigars that are cooler than it is in cigars that are warmer.

I think you will be just fine!

-Piggy