New wineador - Kitty Litter & plastic smell

Anth87

Hi everybody

My new CyberCool 32 bottle wine cooler arrived today (Thanks Muzz)

I've been reading on various forums that people use Kitty Litter as cost effective means for maintaining RH - If anybody here in Australia does this, what brands do you buy (keep in mind i know nothing about cats).

I've read it must be unscented.

Also, I've searched the forum and read about 4 ways to rid the fridge of plastic smell;

1. Distilled vinegar

2. Sponge / Soap

3. Just leave it running for a few days and smell should go

4. Newspaper

What do you think is the most time effective way to get rid of plastic smell? My coolerdoor / eski is getting temperatures of 25 degrees here on the Gold Coast, and VERY eager to cool them down!

Thoughts welcomed and hope everybody is having a great day / night!

AC

I wiped it down with a heavy paste of baking soda and left it coated. Then stuffed it full with newspaper for a few days. After that I wiped it down with more baking soda (paste) and then left a wide bowl of paste in it for a couple days.

Then stuff your cedar trays once you clean it all up. Worked for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The plastic in tuppers responds well to: baking soda and water, detergent, lots of rinsing, more baking soda, newspaper, fresh air and sunshine. Particularly the sunshine. Takes about 3-5 days.

Not sure if the plastic is the same in a wineador. Wouldn't they use something closer to food grade? Your average oenophile is not going to take well to parking his vino in eau de plastique . . . :P

So I'm thinking this thing won't be ready for boxes til Tuesday aha

Have spent last few days, combination of

one day - powered off, stufed with newspaper

next day, wiped down, left outside with door open..brought inside, stuffed with empty cedar boxes (even lit up some cedar and let it smoke in there)

next day, left running with tubs of bi-carb in top and bottom zones

Today, wiped down, left it outside again - Blew a few puffs of cigar in there and shut the door haha - lunchtime today I brought her inside, stuffed with newspaper again.

I'm thinking tomorrow I'll take newspaper out in the morning, fill with bi-carb again and turn on.

When I get home from work, I think I'll remove bi-carb, put empty boxes in and humification.

Tuesday morning should be god for storage :)

DOes that sound like overkill or......

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, that's the stuff. Works a charm. Swore off beads forever once I found this and a cheap box of ladies knee-high stockings.....