Can an EL band smear this way over the years? Partagas Piramides 2000 Edicion Limitada

deejank

All, I hope I can have your attention though this is my first post. I am new to CCs and have been trying to collect this past month.

Can the veterans of the EL program take a look at the following pictures?

The question I have are for the Partagas Piramides 2000 EL. Is this the way the secondary band naturally ages with normal wear and tear?

http://imgur.com/a/P3iJP

I also feel that the EL band is slightly raised and that makes me believe it is possible of its counterfeit. The seller is an avid collector himself and highly respected in the community that I joined and his source is even more regarded and respected. However this case reminds me of the other stories on this forum about the Swiss retailer that failed to catch the fake and that this cigar in particular has many high quality fakes (with some tasting even more amazing than the original).

I felt compelled to hope that a very seasoned user here can tell me via the smudging of the band and/or the embossed letters, that it is certainly genuine or fake. To me personally the letters seem embossed, I can close my eyes and feel slight raised grooves etc. I know that the 2000 band was flat completely. Hoping the ink smudge can determine its legitimacy as well.

Thank you for having a read and looking forward to this community!

Welcome to FoH.

Introduce yourself over here http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

I have no idea about whether the EL program was around then or what not. Have a look at the CUban Cigar Website (google it). A great wealth of information on what ciagrs were released when and what bands they have on them.

As for that band though, i've seen much, much worse. http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114764&hl

Ultimately, the only way to guarantee you never get a fake is to trust the person you're buying from. It's that simple. No one can help you any more than that.

I have no idea about whether the EL program was around then or what not. Have a look at the CUban Cigar Website (google it). A great wealth of information on what ciagrs were released when and what bands they have on them.

2000 was the first year and this was the first cigar that sported the EL band. It was the only year that the band did not display the year of the EL. I should have stated everything checks out on CCW already. Thanks and will introduce myself in the thread you mentioned!

Perfect then. Trust the person you are buying from and think no more of it. If you don't trust the person you are buying from, then pass on the offer. Life is that simple mate!

• Like 1

Bleeding bands are perfectly normal. Something to do with oxidation of the gold colour I believe. Make sure there is no signs of water damage on the cigars and you should smoke those babies!

Yep, if I remember correctly the gold colour on band is a bronze base and so should oxidize dark grey and sulfurize green in the right conditions...

There were a lot of fakes of these cigars going around. Thousands.

Unlike other fakes, many of the fake Partagas Piramide LEs had some obvious giveaways.

See if you can find out the box date of the cigars.

If it is before Oct 00, they are fake. If the factory code is "POS", they are fake.

The lettering on the LE band should not be embossed.

Were they bought at an auction?

• Like 1

There were a lot of fakes of these cigars going around. Thousands.

Unlike other fakes, many of the fake Partagas Piramide LEs had some obvious giveaways.

See if you can find out the box date of the cigars.

If it is before Oct 00, they are fake. If the factory code is "POS", they are fake.

The lettering on the LE band should not be embossed.

Were they bought at an auction?

I got them through a sampler pack from a respected seller. It's been traded at least 2x to me, will try to look for manufactured date thanks ryan

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of great info shared here within this topic!, and I am sure the comments supplied by "FOH" members has put many a mind at ease. I recently acquired an old box of 2003 Del Punch with identical spotting of the bands. The first thoughts that came to mind was oxidation; But, really wasn't sure. Thanks all