Laphroaig 15 Year Old

Ken Gargett

I like the original 15YO better than the 18YO, but don't get me wrong, I think the 18YO is really good. When I heard the original 15YO was being discontinued a few years back, I went in search of and bought every 15YO bottle I could find...a grand total of three, all from the same store. To me, it is more "refined" than the 18YO, odd considering the three more years of aging, and much more so than the 10YO...reminds me of toasted marshmellows over a camp fire.

The 15 yo Laphroaig used to be regular production but discontiued long ago -

I found it to be very rich, the peat smoke still prominent but more civilized in comparison to the 10yo.

Very complex, and, if memory serves, as full bodied as they come (perhaps even a notch above Lagavulin 16yo).

However, the special release may or may not be similar to the old 15yo.

One more or less sherry cask, or bourbon cask only, who knows?

But I would be surprized if it was not great -

best as always,

Alex

Interesting review by Serge.

Too bad it's not like the old 15. I love the old 15, just unwilling to spend $300-500 a bottle to find the pre royal warrant stuff. And it seems like every time I find the old stuff, it's Italian import bottles. No thanks.

The current 18 is good, but because of the Sherry casks, it's nothing like the old 15, which was 100% bourbon.

Probably due to the barrel quality, source of malt and who did it. '60s and '70s distillate was legendary IMHO.

ta for this. very useful.

dug up the press release. they certainly seem to want it seen as close to the original. can be difficult to achieve.

CELEBRATING 200 YEARS WITH THE RETURN OF
LAPHROAIG® 15 YEAR OLD
May 2015: Established in 1815, this year sees the 200th anniversary of Laphroaig® Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky. To commemorate this landmark celebration, Laphroaig is proud to announce a very special and limited release of Laphroaig 15 Year Old. A long revered expression in the Laphroaig range, Laphroaig 15 Year Old was originally launched more than 30 years ago, with a lower level of peat and a higher bottling strength of 43% all combining to give the whisky a mellow, rounded taste, its briny orchard fruits adding bite and depth, the overall feel rich and smoky. Laphroaig Distillery Manager John Campbell decided to re-release this product, one of his long-time favourites, in celebration of Laphroaig’s 200th anniversary. Beautifully made, Laphroaig 15 Year Old pays homage to the original edition, answering the call for its return by many a long term friend, while at the same time introducing new fans of Laphroaig to a whisky that they have yet to taste. Laphroaig has been dividing opinions for 200 years, always garnering strong and interesting points of view through the years. Some of these varying opinions are featured in videos as part of the Laphroaig Opinions Welcome campaign, which can be viewed at www.laphroaig.com/opinions. Laphroaig 15 Year Old will continue to welcome a multitude of different global perspectives on the divisive whisky with the launch of '200 Opinions Wanted' - a competition to celebrate the very best Laphroaig opinions from around the world. Two-hundred of the most unique opinions will be displayed as individual tiles on the distillery wall and the authors of the very best of them will be rewarded with a trip to Islay to attend “Laphroaig Live,” a global whisky event held at the historic Laphroaig Distillery for the first time in nine years. In addition to the distillery’s 200th anniversary, this year also marks the 21st birthday of Friends of Laphroaig, the brand’s loyal group of fans and supporters. Much of this year’s Laphroaig Live is designed with them firmly front of mind. All the more reason to celebrate! Laphroaig 15 Year Old will be available in May 2015 in all good whisky retailers with a RRP of £75.00 with additional new releases planned across the year.

Ken, do you think it's going to be worth collecting?

i have no expertise on the collectibility of whiskies. i'm sure others would have a far more informed view.

but as a general comment, you have to be sure you can sell them. and in certain jurisdictions, including ours, one has to be very careful that one goes through a method that is legal, such as the auction houses. lot of people here think you can whack a bottle on ebay and then are stunned when they cop a hefty fine for selling alcohol without a licence. it happens.

then i guess it will depend on the rarity and quality of the whisky. and demand. i suspect like many of these things, you'll nail one every now and again but there will be duds along the way. then, of course, you can drink them.

i bought a couple of bottles of the snow phoenix malt a while back. i think rob and i had one on a vid. now i'm told the empty tins are worth more than the original cost of the entire thing. crazy (anyone want a tin for a few cigars, roll on up...).

have one left and buggered if i know what to do. would have been quite happy drinking the thing but now?? and a nice whisky but not worth that dosh on quality alone, at least not to me. the story and packaging and demand changes all that.

so i guess i am of no help at all.

• Like 1

The new Laphroaig 15 is excellent IMO, i tried it at the Islay Festival last month. Tastes far different than the 18 yr to be honest - has much more robust sweetness and fruits in the forefront, to go with a decent smokiness but not the usual overwhelming Laphroaig peat power

It's a cracker, highly recommend it.

As an aside - one to look out for this fall is the 21yr Laphroaig for the anniversary. I tested a pre-release bottle - absolutely stunning. Gets released in September if I'm not mistaken.

All this - and the Cairdeas this year was middling to my palate lol. Can't nail them all!

• 4 weeks later...