Beetle(s)

I recently received a few cigars. Upon inspection I noticed this:

94850308d3125980c42e8575aa723bd1.jpg

Which upon tapping the foot gently produced this:

b18916f2b9fed34d76ca0d833289d734.jpg

So I decided to use a crafting knife to open up the cigar. I didn't think smoking it would have been a smart choice due to believing this was the product of the dreaded tobacco beetle.

Upon removing the wrapper the canal that the intruder created could be clearly seen:

4c58f6b918c607e86162a33492d56afe.jpg

5ae7832aec354ef4e08bb82c09db8914.jpg

I was able to remove the skeleton(s) of one, possibly two insects. They were dried out and I do not have a microscope to determine if it is two indefinitely. As you can see from the pictures, I could not zoom in to get a clear picture to determine either. Due to the fact they were so old and or dehydrated I cannot confirm the true identity. However, I do believe these to be deceased tobacco beetle(s) larva. They have a white-translucent body and brownish head.

8f2ba4d43cc72172400b4739ebfb4860.jpg

9c160f6cb501e4a8d1864530d62539b4.jpg

I enhanced and edited certain pictures so you could clearly see the holes, canals, and skeletons. This is the first time I've experienced damage due to a beetle. This was detected upon arrival so the humidor is safe. This problem clearly solved itself before arrival and I'd imagine it happened several years ago since these are not coded within the last five years. I've experienced live beetles, and to be honest I'd rather deal with this version. Just a few images and info for you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain, that's why is important to freeze everything you buy. And make sure you freeze for for at least 5 days in your freezer. I froze the following cigar for 3 days and I still got beetles. Luckily the cigar was in a plastic bag.372886ffe622b07b5189d9cd363239bf.jpg

2be71e12b31fc2b09de0459dfb6909b2.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

I feel your pain, that's why is important to freeze everything you buy. And make sure you freeze for for at least 5 days in your freezer. I froze the following cigar for 3 days and I still got beetles. Luckily the cigar was in a plastic bag.372886ffe622b07b5189d9cd363239bf.jpg

2be71e12b31fc2b09de0459dfb6909b2.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

At what temp do you freeze? I'm at 0 F for three days. Was that a custom?

I feel your pain, that's why is important to freeze everything you buy.

More important is buying from safe places and knowing what to look for. I've never frozen a single cigar (of regular production) in my life.

Out of thousands cigars I've seen a few beetle holes, a few dead adults; the only living larva I saw in action was in the stock of a friend, not in mine.

I have only ever had one cigar with a beetle hole and it was discovered upon receiving a box and inspecting those that I noticed the hole I tossed the cigar and froze that one box for a few days haven't had any issues since. I also never freeze any boxes unless I have evidence of beetles. I believe (& correct me if I am wrong) the beetle eggs need the right temperature to hatch that temperature being above 75F so I have always tried to keep the temp below 70.