Cabinet Humidor - Help with RH

b4z00k4

Alright, so I think I've caused myself a problem. Back in November, I purchased a small cabinet humidor (end table, ~30 boxes & 100 single capacity), in my excitement to use it I believe I may have rushed the seasoning process, as I'm having a hard time keeping the RH up.

Currently, it's sitting around 60%/66df with 4.5 pounds of beads and 10(!!!!) 65% boveda packs that I recently added to try and help the beads. I can elevate the RH to 65% by adding a few moist sponges, but within a couple days it will drop back down to around 60%.

I'm fairly certain the issue is with the seasoning of the cabinet. Should I temporarily relocate my stock to my coolerdor and attempt to reseason the cabinet or let the cabinet slowly absorb moisture over time?

I'm honestly not sure what to do.

Edited by Trevor2118
Duplicate posts removed

It depends on how you like your cigars. 60% won't ruin them, but I wouldn't go any lower. I like to keep mine right at 62%. Some people prefer their cigars at 70 because they like how they smoke. If you have the capacity to keep them somewhere at a desired rh until you can stabilize the environment then I would reseason it, but if you don't have the space elsewhere I would just slowly bring it up. 60-70% is the safe zone depending on how you like your stock.

Before you go blaming the 'seasoning' and get into a rush to soak your wood with water, take a minute and look at your macro environment. Is it dry in the room? My guess is yes.

Passive humidors are designed to provide some limited rH protection for cigars from your room. That is all that they do! If it is dry in your room, then you may not be matching the flux of water leaving your humidor. Input has to equal output or you get too much rH or too little rH.

Desiccants are buffers and not really a great supply of water. If water is what you need, get some wet surface area in there, or get an active humidifier for the dry times. Of course, you can over saturate your desiccant and turn it into a humidifier. The choice is yours, but I see wetting the wood as a bad idea if that is what you call seasoning.

Good luck on your project. -Piggy

• Like 1

In Bristol Tennessee the average daily relative humidity is 60 to 80% in January. However, the average daily temperature of 26 to 45°F could possibly mean the heating solution in your home is creating a dry surrounding environment for where your humidor is located.

• Like 1

In Bristol Tennessee the average daily relative humidity is 60 to 80% in January. However, the average daily temperature of 26 to 45°F could possibly mean the heating solution in your home is creating a dry surrounding environment for where your humidor is located.

I believe this is indeed the case. 49% RH in the room where the cabinet resides.

Before you go blaming the 'seasoning' and get into a rush to soak your wood with water, take a minute and look at your macro environment. Is it dry in the room? My guess is yes.

Passive humidors are designed to provide some limited rH protection for cigars from your room. That is all that they do! If it is dry in your room, then you may not be matching the flux of water leaving your humidor. Input has to equal output or you get too much rH or too little rH.

Desiccants are buffers and not really a great supply of water. If water is what you need, get some wet surface area in there, or get an active humidifier for the dry times. Of course, you can over saturate your desiccant and turn it into a humidifier. The choice is yours, but I see wetting the wood as a bad idea if that is what you call seasoning.

Good luck on your project. -Piggy

I was hoping you would reply!

When I came home from work this evening, I decided to check the humidity in the room where the cabinet is located.

49%.

Given this, and your input, I believe I'm going to go the active humidifier route. The beads have been requiring too much maintenance this winter.