First coolerdor - advice please!

parabola66

I am planning to build my first coolerdor, as my small tupperdor has recently run out of room, and was looking for some advice. Also am trying to avoid a wineador for cost reasons.

I was planning on getting a big 120qt. or possibly bigger cooler. I was planning on using Heartfelt Beads %65, and was wondering how much I would need. 1pound, 1.5pounds?

Also I was going to use a remote hygrometer so I can tell the rH and temp without the need to constantly open it to check. Most likely either of the following:

https://www.xikar.co...p-hygro-system/

http://www.ambientwe...mws07x2kit.html

And lastly, I wanted to know your opinions on fans and air circulation. Are fans necessary? I know a lot of people use the Oust fans, but are out of production. I would like to avoid wires hanging out of the coolerdor if I do use a fan. I was going to use it upright with shelves. ( I feel that this setup allows for a more even air circulation around each box, and easier to sort through when digging around for a smoke)

Please, If you have any advice, suggestions, changes to the setup.. all comments are welcome!!

Thank you,
Collin

I have a couple this size and do not use a fan. I open then fairly regularly and occasions cycle stock from the bottom to the top.

Makes sure you wash it first. I cannot remember exactly how much I put in the first cooler. I think it was 1 lb to start but I have adjusted them accordingly.

Try this tutorial

http://cigarobsession.com/2013/05/18/how-to-build-a-cigar-coolidor/

^X2 on this, and I would add an extra pound of beads for faster humidity recovery after opening.

x3 I always add at least 25% more beads than required by their calculator. This is especially helpful during the dry cold winter months where indoor humidity drops below 30%.

• Like 1

I believe that a fan is very important, but I use a humidor that is always in flux and typically between 3 and 4 ft tall. The down side will be heat generated by a fan in an insulated space if not kept cool. Everything has a down side...!

Even the smallest undisturbed space will stratify, but keeping the chest on its base and using it as if it had ice in it, I would think that the stratification would be at a minimum. I am being academic. For this type of solution I would use a timer module fan, but that is me being anal about it. I have the parts and resources to support such idiosyncrasies that others would probably be ignorant to, or just not worry about. -Piggy

I have a 150 quart coleman xtreme which allows for shelves to be added when standing up tall (fitting nicely in half a closet). I have beads on each shelf. I use remote hygrometers placed on each shelf and have only notice a 1% variance at times. Until I have the money and can convince my wife that an aristocrat is in order, my coolerdor will have to do the trick.

Good luck with your project.

I believe that a fan is very important, but I use a humidor that is always in flux and typically between 3 and 4 ft tall. The down side will be heat generated by a fan in an insulated space if not kept cool. Everything has a down side...!

Even the smallest undisturbed space will stratify, but keeping the chest on its base and using it as if it had ice in it, I would think that the stratification would be at a minimum. I am being academic. For this type of solution I would use a timer module fan, but that is me being anal about it. I have the parts and resources to support such idiosyncrasies that others would probably be ignorant to, or just not worry about. -Piggy

I have to agree with pigfish-

I understand standing up a cooler on the shorter end and creating shelves likely makes for better organization and accessibility, but maintaining humidity over a 3-4 height difference is probably a lot more difficult than over a 1-2 ft difference when the cooler is placed on the floor like its normally supposed to. As we all know height plays a critical role in temp and therefore affects humidity to a certain point.

Disclaimer- I am a noob but just trying to think through this logically.

I am planning to build my first coolerdor, as my small tupperdor has recently run out of room, and was looking for some advice. Also am trying to avoid a wineador for cost reasons.

I was planning on getting a big 120qt. or possibly bigger cooler. I was planning on using Heartfelt Beads %65, and was wondering how much I would need. 1pound, 1.5pounds?

Also I was going to use a remote hygrometer so I can tell the rH and temp without the need to constantly open it to check. Most likely either of the following:

https://www.xikar.co...p-hygro-system/

http://www.ambientwe...mws07x2kit.html

And lastly, I wanted to know your opinions on fans and air circulation. Are fans necessary? I know a lot of people use the Oust fans, but are out of production. I would like to avoid wires hanging out of the coolerdor if I do use a fan. I was going to use it upright with shelves. ( I feel that this setup allows for a more even air circulation around each box, and easier to sort through when digging around for a smoke)

Please, If you have any advice, suggestions, changes to the setup.. all comments are welcome!!

Thank you,

Collin

By the way, if you are located in the US, amazon has great deals on the ambient weather wireless hygrometers which are pretty accurate.