Box Code/Cigar Quality

I am really curious about how many boxes with the same code/cigar meet the PE/HQ/PSP quality. What percentage of boxes are PE, what percent are HQ and what percent are PSP, and what percent don't meet these grades at all? Maybe I should quit thinking............

There's a video on the forum somewhere where Rob explains it all.

I think ballpark is 5% are PSP, 15-25% HQ and rest PE for the good ones or rejected (sent back as doesn't meet the standard)

Depends on each shipment Rob inspects though thus the range of percentages. He might get a great mastercase where a majority is PSP/HQ and he could have a whole shipment full of crap.

Happy to be corrected on all the above. Just a rough guide from my hazy memory

Get you a handful of dice and roll them.jester.gif

I've found more luck comes with vintage years, much akin to wine, rather than box codes.

I've been really digging 1998, 2007, 2008, & 2013 recently. Seems like there was some good smokes rolled and boxed these years.

Have posted this before but it might help.

Take a Standard Deviation bell Curve.

An Average Box Code would look like the below.

PE = 0-1

HQ= 1-2

PSP= 2-3

post-4-0-08356600-1421305923_thumb.jpg

An Above Average Box Code would be skewed to the right (More HQ/PSP)

A Below Average Box Code would be skewed to the left (few or no HQ/PSP, plenty of average/poor cigars).

The problem is that even in a mastercase of the same box code it will change month to month or even Mastercase to Mastercase. ie. two mastercases of say POU D4 could be in the warehouse. One follows the average bell curve and one is skewed to the right. Both the same code.

It is only by going through a number of the mastercases of the same code over an extended period of time that you get a feel for that code.

The box codes I listed are simply ones that over time have been predominantly skewed to the right. It doesn't mean that the occasional mastercase of that code is not straight median or even skewed to the left.

It is a guide at best.

• Like 2

I sold my Stats text book today! Thank god I passed that class and am done for the foreseeable future.

Hope you won't need Stats professionally. If so, you'll be buying another book in the future!

In the Environmental Engineering field, so many things are a big unknown that all we're left with is probability. And we were only able to truly cover about half of the book in one semester.

Stochastic systems are everywhere in nature. If you are in a remotely technical field it is a hugely valuable tool to understand Gaussian/Normal distributions.

Indeed!

Makes me wonder though... If we weren't into cigars, we'd just be regular, run of the mill nerds :P