Is this Normal for a Humi

peterk814

Hi guys,

New to FOH, but I've been in and out of the cigar hobby for some time. Its been a number of year but I have decided to come back into the world of cigars. Since my last humi was sold i decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a new humi based on some reviews I have read here. Its supposed to be a high end humidor, but i feel like it's not quite sealed well. It fails the paper pulling test and there seem to be some minor but visible gaps in the seal. I tried to take some pics. Any advice on whether this is a faulty humidor?

post-21889-0-53495300-1420558812_thumb.j

post-21889-0-68894700-1420558814_thumb.j

post-21889-0-40827900-1420558827_thumb.j

There is a bit of a gap at the outer seam, but the seal typically comes from the inner lip in the lining which fits into the lid. I'm not sure a piece of paper should be able to be pulled from a closed lid, but I've never tried it myself.

Hi mate, just making sure, you did put the paper actually over the humidor seal right? so the paper should go from the inside of the humidor (touching the cedar wood inside) over the seal and outside the humidor. The seal is actually formed in the raised wood portion that should be protruding above the wooden box shell of the humidor.

When you close the humidor there should be the slightest bit of resistance to close, and when you open it there should be the slightest bit of resistance to open.

Hi guys-

Thanks for the quick replies. I did put the paper fully inside the box and tried to pull it out. It comes out with little resistance. While the box does seem to be maintaining some humidity, it fluxuates quite a bit between 60-65. Currrently havd 4 boveda 68 Rh packs. Its a 100-120 count humi. I seasoned with boveda seasoning packs for 2 weeks.

Hopefully you purchased it from a good vendor that would accept a return/exchange. Can't say that I've ever heard of the paper pulling test but even if nothing was technically faulty with the box, just the thought of it possibly being defective would personally drive me nuts.

Hopefully you purchased it from a good vendor that would accept a return/exchange. Can't say that I've ever heard of the paper pulling test but even if nothing was technically faulty with the box, just the thought of it possibly being defective would personally drive me nuts.

I dont want to call out a manufacturer here, nor do I want to bother them with something that may be "normal". But depending on the responses i get here I will reach out to them. They offer a lifetime warranty as their products are quick expensive so I dont foresee an issue with a return.

Thanks

The best thing to do would be to contact them and ask them about replacement as you are not satisfied with the seal the humidor provides. It happens... When they make humidors they have to account for the fact that when seasoned it will absorb moisture and expand. They may tell you to let it season more, and the seal might tighten up.

In any case, a "leaking" humidor will mean that you may have to replenish your humidity device more often, or dry it out often depending on whether your ambient conditions are humid or dry.

You can still use a leaking humidor, you just have to spend a week or two figuring out how yours reacts in its surroundings.

Thanks guys.

Ive had it for about 2 months now waiting for it to continue to season and seal up properly (not wanting to jump the gun). But it doesnt seam to have sealed up much. Its only a 125 count sized box and with 4-5 boveda 68s running im only getting about 60-62 most of the time.

I dont want to call out a manufacturer here, nor do I want to bother them with something that may be "normal". But depending on the responses i get here I will reach out to them. They offer a lifetime warranty as their products are quick expensive so I dont foresee an issue with a return.

Thanks

I don't think that you should wait. A solid retailer of any commodity should have your best interest in mind, and ostensible amateurish questions should be expected. If you are not admitting to being an expert, get them on the line and discuss your concerns. If their response is reasonable, such as what Mus brought up about the expansion of the wood then work with them and go with it.

There are two sides to involving the seller of any product. They can only fix what you bring to their attention. It is their response that should be judged and not really the singular product. In any case, you should not be making a lot of adjustments on a defective product unless you knowingly bought a second or a flawed and discounted item.

Best of luck on your humidor. -Piggy

I agree with Piggy here. After the OP's last post, and knowing all the issues (well varnished/shellaced humidor, not overly big, FOUR humidipacks in there, only holding 60-62 % RH, paper pulling out too easy [yes, I know the paper test - easy test recommended by a number of humidor manufacturers and sales sites], already been getting seasoned for 2 months, etc., etc), it especially seals the deal (pun intended) for me to think an exchange would be in order. I think the lone exception would be if you lived in the desert.

All that said - anything in the 60-65% RH range (with an accordingly approximate temp range of 55-68 F) should be damn near ideal. It's up to your smoking preferences though.