FORMULA 1 - 2015

Hamilton: I’d rather anyone won but Nico…

PA1729154.0036.jpg

Lewis Hamilton had admitted that, despite being a Mercedes man, he wouldn't want his team-mate to keep the F1 world title at Brackley.
Speaking on the Graham Norton Show, the Briton – who saw off a Rosberg challenge he called the 'most intense' of his career to win last year's F1 title – conceded that, although the fractious relationship that dominated the 2014 is largely healed, he would still rather someone else took his crown.
“It's a difficult one,” Hamilton explained, “You are a team and the job is for both drivers to get points to win the championships. But, individually, we both want to win, so we want to beat each other. I'm supposed to say that, if I don't win, I want my team-mate to win, but it's not really the case.”
Hamilton again saw his 2015 championship lead cut to ten points after Rosberg beat him to the chequered flag in Austria last weekend, but then passed up the opportunity to get extra development miles under his belt by asking to be released from a testing commitment at the same Red Bull Ring circuit in the week. Rosberg took over from reserve driver Pascal Wehrlein for day two of the session, completed in excess of 100 laps and posted the fastest time of the 17 drivers who took part.
British Racing Drivers' Club president Derek Warwick – who will welcome the F1 field to Silverstone this coming weekend – said that he found it 'bizarre' that Hamilton would want to miss out on any testing opportunity, especially as he was not involved in the previous in-season session in Barcelona just over a month ago. Interestingly, that test also followed a race Rosberg won on merit. The German now has three wins to Hamilton's four, but admits that he was handed the Monaco victory by a pit-stop miscue from the Mercedes team.
Hamilton inflamed the situation by posting social media images of himself with musician Pharrell Williams in Monaco – and was also spotted supporting the singer during his set at Glastonbury on Saturday night.
“[Hamilton] was off the pace all weekend in Austria, [and] he had a bad start, so I'd want to be trying that start out again, checking my clutch is ready for the British GP,” Warwick told Sky Sports The F1 Show, “I just find it bizarre that he would say 'no' and go off and be in Monaco with whoever he was with. As a racing driver, you want every second you can in the car, if anything to keep the other driver out.”

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

HSE report finds de Villota crash failings

PAPHOTO4_494749.jpg

Maria de Villota was left to rely on her own 'skill and experience' during her ill-fated test with the Marussia F1 team, according to an official Health and Safety Executive report.
The Spaniard had completed only two straight-line runs in the 2012 Marussia car when she collided with the tail-lift of one of the team's trucks, suffering serious facial injuries - including the loss of an eye – with neurological complications that eventually contributed to her death a year later.
Although the HSE subsequently opted not to prosecute Marussia over the accident, a report – seen by the BBC under the Freedom of Information Act – highlights failings on the team's behalf that could have contributed to the injuries sustained.
The then 32-year was not an F1 novice, having previous enjoyed successful test runs with the Lotus team at Paul Ricard the previous year, and was also accustomed to rapid single-seaters having raced in both the Euroseries 3000 and Superleague Formula categories, but the report claims that Marussia relied too heavily on her 'skill and experience' during the 2012 test.
In particular, the HSE findings claim that, despite several opportunities, de Villota was not given specific instructions for entering the temporary pit-lane set up at the Duxford aerodrome site, notably the procedure for the stopping the car and the gears to use for the process. Although she successfully completed her first two runs, she was ill-equipped to deal with issues that arose at a scheduled stop, leading to the collision with the truck.
When the front wheels of her car locked under braking, the fact that it remained in gear with engine idle control running, the report claims that de Villota was essentially being 'pushed' along the makeshift pit-lane, resisting her attempts to both stop and, subsequently, avoid the truck.
de Villota claimed that pressing the button designed to unlock the clutch and disengage the gears proved futile, while a gear change from second to first was also rejected by the engine idle control. The report also highlights a previous complaint from the driver that suggested she had been unable to operate the clutch when the steering wheel was at full-lock, which it was at the time of the crash.
Although the Spaniard later claimed that she thought she would miss the truck, which was parked in the pit area to provide support to the team's activities, her helmet made contact with the tail-lift which, according to the documents, was 'larger' than the ones found on a normal race truck. The report also found that the tail-lift had been left in a position which 'not only created the risk of injury', but was at a similar height to the driver's eye-line, perhaps contributing to her claim that she never saw it.
de Villota's family say they may still consider seeking compensation for her injuries and subsequent death.

New Alonso museum has ‘room for more trophies’

AU1331003.jpg

Fernando Alonso has officially inaugurated the museum that hosts his legacy, immediately declared the adjoining kart track as the 'best kart track in the world' and insisting that the display cabinets have been built with room for more silverware.
Surrounded by family, friends and personalities who have supported him during his career - including McLaren Honda racing director Eric Boullier, fellow driver Pedro de la Rosa and flamboyant former Benetton and Renault team boss Flavio Briatore as well as national and local authorities and sponsor representatives – Alonso cut the ribbon to open the new two-storey 99,000sq/m facility, which is form part of the sports facilities at La Morgal in Oviedo.
fernando-alonso-collection.jpg
Through the Fernando Alonso Foundation, the double world champion has donated over 300 unique items to the Foundation for the Promotion of Motoring in Asturias, and the collection features all the cars – including all five Ferraris - he has driven in a career that started at the age of three. Visitors can also see some of Alonso's helmets and overalls, as well as those of his rivals, among the many displays which, despite being in the middle of a miserable season with McLaren, he insists contain room for additions to the already impressive collection of silverware.
"This is a special day for me after so many years of work and planning by my father, as well as coincidences that allowed us to find some of the things on show," he told Spanish newspaper Marca, "There's space for more trophies and I hope I'll be the one to put them in the cabinet."
Colecci%C3%B3n-Fernando-Alonso-en-Madrid
However, the real headline stealer is found outside the museum complex, as Alonso also presented a brand new karting circuit, featuring a layout he designed himself to feature some of his favourite corners, including the 'S' of Suzuka, the last corner at Valencia, the Parma chicane and the first corner of the Jarama circuit. The circuit has been designed to offer 29 different layouts with lengths varying between 1400 and 1800 metres.
31.jpg
The main course can be divided into three sub-courses of either 721, 637 and 372 metres to facilitate training and is certified for hosting international competitions in accordance with FIA International Karting Commission standards.
The circuit also features a dedicated course for driving education, a paddock area, pits, changing rooms and medical centre and Alonso - who said he believes “this is the best go-kart track in the world" and admitted that he would be delighted if a future F1 world champion was discovered there - announced that the first international karting campus will be held in late July for children aged between 8-11 years old, coming from different countries including Spain, UAE, Switzerland and Mexico.
1435322734_extras_noticia_foton_7_0.jpg
"For me, having a karting track where kids can pursue the same dream as me without worrying about making a living from it or travelling around the world, makes me very happy,” Alonso said, “I've never raced on a track like this so I have no hesitation in saying it's the best in the world.
"We have to offer the best to the best, so they have fewer obstacles to overcome. Whenever a great talent comes along, one that is outstanding, we need to help them on their way, not hold them back. Facilities like these make people happy. I never thought about getting into F1, I was just happy every time I got into a kart, even though it was in a car park - that was the main motivation for doing it..."
Fernando-Alonso-exhibition-by-Isern-Serr

SIZE MATTERS FOR MICHELIN BID TO SUPPLY F1 TYRES

Michelin-Tyre-Technician-F1-750x501.jpg

Michelin has no interest in supplying tyres to Formula One unless the sport agrees to make them bigger, a change motorsport head Pascal Couasnon (pictured below) feels sure will happen eventually.
The French company and current suppliers Pirelli are the only bidders for the three-year contract from 2017, when rule changes could be introduced to make the cars quicker and harder to handle.
Michelin have stressed that their bid depends on a change of tyre specification from 13 inch to at least 18.
“If the sport decides to stay with 13 inch, we respect it but it would not make sense to us,” Couasnon told Reuters during the season-ending London round of the new electric Formula E series.
“That’s where we are going to wait for the next time (the contract is up for tender),” he added when asked what would be the response to no change. Michelin supply 18-inch tyres to the world rally and endurance championships and Formula E.
The current FIA tender document opens the way for an increase in diameter “if the tyre manufacturer feels there may be advantages to the competitors by doing so.”
Pascal-Gouasnon-750x500.jpg
Couasnon said the transfer of technology was important for Michelin and F1 tyres needed to have a smaller sidewall and be more similar to those used by regular drivers as well as longer-lasting.
“We don’t want a banal tyre. We want a tyre that is getting close (to road tyres) so then you can transfer,” he added.
Whereas the Pirelli F1 compounds have been engineered to degrade and increase the strategy options, Couasnon said Michelin were not prepared to make a tyre that wore out quickly.
“It’s not the message we want to give which is ‘we’re going to invest a lot of technology to make a tyre which doesn’t last’,” he said. “I respect the strategy of my competitors but that’s not really the image and philosophy of Michelin.”
“We can create pitstops with some other ideas but what Michelin would like to deliver first is a tyre where the driver has fun and is tired at the end of the race. Today they are not.”
Drivers regularly complain that the current rules force them to look after fast-deteriorating tyres and ease off the throttle to save fuel, and that the cars are not as challenging to drive as they were.
062015_motor_tires.vresize.1200.675.high
Asked whether he felt the switch to larger tyres would have to come one day, Couasnon replied: “I am convinced.”
Jean Todt, president of the governing International Automobile that drew up the tender documents, told Reuters it would be inappropriate for him to make any decision on the matter.
“It is important that it is addressed by people with more skill than I have about the size of the wheels,” said the Frenchman.
Michelin withdrew from Formula One in 2006, a year after a farcical U.S. Grand Prix that went ahead with only six cars after all the Michelin-equipped teams withdrew on safety grounds.
Formula One has had a sole supplier since then, with Bridgestone replaced by Pirelli in 2011. Couasnon was confident the memory of the 2005 race in Indianapolis would not be held against Michelin now.
“I remember 2006 was pretty good. We’ve learnt quite a bit from this event. We’ve done Silverstone for many hours and didn’t have any issues. For me that’s the past,” he said.
“I hope that people will remember more what we’ve done over the last two or three years and what we are prepared to do for tomorrow.”

HAHN MEANS BUSINESS AS HE HEADS CONSORTIUM TO BUY F1

f1-money-cash-logo1-750x501.jpg

The combative German media magnate poised for another high-octane move against Formula One motor racing impresario Bernie Ecclestone is no stranger to conflict and is used to getting his own way.
Though a bribery case brought against Ecclestone by Dieter Hahn’s Constantin Medien was dismissed last year, Hahn is now working with a consortium on a bid to buy a controlling stake in Formula One in a potential $8 billion deal, a source told Reuters last week.
The consortium is being led by the owner of the Miami Dolphins American Football team and the Gulf state of Qatar.
Hahn, 54, has built a reputation for being a dogged adversary, exemplified by the way he helped the heirs of the late Leo Kirch to bring the mighty Deutsche Bank to its knees in an acrimonious decade-long legal battle.
Kirch, who died in 2011, blamed the bank for the 2002 demise of his life’s work after Deutsche’s chief executive at the time questioned the creditworthiness of his KirchGruppe media company in a television interview.
The case was settled last year in a deal costing Deutsche about 925 million euros ($1 billion) after Hahn’s army of lawyers and spin doctors tormented Deutsche Bank in and out of court. Among their tactics was the hijacking of shareholder meetings by asking management question after question.
Bernie-Ecclestone-F1-Grand-Prix-Germany-
“We have used all legitimate opportunities available to a shareholder,” Hahn told German newspaper Die Zeit in a rare interview last year.
Hahn’s negotiating skills will come as no surprise to Ecclestone. The pair first crossed swords more than a decade ago, when Hahn won Formula One broadcasting rights for his boss and mentor Kirch despite Ecclestone’s best efforts.
While Ecclestone prevailed in the more recent Constantin Medien lawsuit over the deal that brought CVC Capital Partners into Formula One as top shareholder, Hahn clearly does not give up easily. After the case was dismissed, Constantin CEO Bernhard Burgener told shareholders that the company would do everything possible to recoup money it says it is owed by Ecclestone.
For all their previous tussles, however, Hahn and Ecclestone could yet form a new Formula One alliance, people familiar with the men told Reuters.
“Rich people can sue each other and still be friends,” one of the sources said.
Hahn declined to comment, but the sources said that Ecclestone, who has ruled over the sport for four decades, would continue to lead the racing side of the business while Hahn would run the television rights marketing.
Geb%C3%A4ude-S1-Au%C3%9Fenansicht-750x50
Having cut his teeth at Axel Springer, publisher of German newspaper Bild, Hahn moved to Munich to run sports broadcasting company DSF.
He soon attracted the attention of Kirch and was recruited to manage KirchGruppe in 1997, going on to secure television rights for the 2002 and 2006 soccer World Cups, becoming Kirch’s right-hand man in the process.
Hahn is now biggest shareholder of Constantin Medien, which markets events including UEFA Champions League soccer and owns sport TV production company Plazamedia.
Yet clues to his business methodology could have been gleaned from the very start of his career, when an apprenticeship in banking gave way to law studies and a doctoral thesis entitled “Hostile Takeovers of Companies”.
Whether he emerges from the quest for Formula One as Ecclestone’s friend or foe, he’s sure to drive a hard bargain.

HORNER: THE TIME FOR TALKING HAS NOW COME AND GONE

Christian-Horner-F1-Grand-Prix-China-4iG

Formula 1 needs to make real strategic decisions at a meeting on Wednesday after talking a lot about change and delivering little, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said ahead of a F1 Strategy Group meeting on Wednesday.
“I think it’s a crucial meeting. Really some actions need to come out of it,” the Briton told reporters at a pre-British Grand Prix event near the team’s headquarters in central England.
“The time for talking has now come and gone. There need to be some definitive actions following the meeting, which hopefully will be achieved.”
The sport’s Strategy Group, which includes six leading teams (Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Williams and Force India) along with the commercial rights holder and governing FIA, is due to meet in London before the sport gathers at Silverstone this weekend.
Previous meetings have produced meagre results, with the main headline-grabbing decision from the last one being a return to refuelling — an idea which now lacks support.
Dennis-Arrivabene-Wolff-Horner-Boullier-
Concerned about dwindling audiences, even though Silverstone expects a record crowd of 140,000 on Sunday thanks to the local pulling power of world champion Lewis Hamilton, the sport wants to make cars lighter, noisier, faster and more aggressive looking from 2017.
“There is definitely some urgency to see some improvements made, to make it a more exciting sport,” Donald Mackenzie, chairman of commercial rights holders CVC, told media.
Red Bull’s partners Renault, and others, also want to be allowed to develop their engines during 2016 to close the gap on Mercedes.
However Horner said the group, which he dismissed only a week ago as ‘inept’, needed to look at the bigger picture more than the detail.
“The whole purpose of that group is to decide the strategic direction of the sport in the future, it’s not there to finalise regulations,” said Horner, who has advocated appointing an independent and highly respected figure such as former principal Ross Brawn to help write the rules.
“What we need to do is all get onto the same page. It’s a key element to tomorrow’s meeting,” said Horner. “There are some concepts that will be put on the table tomorrow and I think it’s important we converge on a majority position.
“It’s time to take some action now. We’ve talked a lot, and now we need to dictate a strategic direction for the sport. That’s what we need to focus on and achieve out of tomorrow’s meeting.”

RED BULL SAY CONTRACT WITH RICCIARDO IS BULLET PROOF

464823153XX00086_F1_Testing-750x500.jpg

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said ahead of the British Grand Prix weekend that there is “no risk” his team is set to lose Daniel Ricciardo to Ferrari.
Ricciardo, whose frustration with the situation at Red Bull is beginning to show, earlier told reporters that Ferrari’s apparent interest for 2016 is “nice” and “a compliment”.
But he also acknowledged that he is under firm contract, “I don’t have experience with contracts, but I would never rule anything out completely.”
Helmut Marko, however, has said Ricciardo’s deal is “bulletproof”, and team boss Horner also says the 25-year-old is definitely staying put.
“There is no risk or discussion of him being anywhere else other than Red Bull for a minimum of three years,” said the Briton.
But Ricciardo said he no longer believes Red Bull can catch up with the frontrunners in 2015, even though he thinks that with a better engine, the RB11 would be “in the ballpark” with Mercedes and Ferrari.
493595009_TP_9609_F1A79E4C4300836B6FA918
He is less convinced that Renault’s hopes of improving its struggling engine can bear fruit this year.
So while Red Bull has car improvements ready to run at Silverstone, Ricciardo said: “In terms of the power, we may find small things over the year, but I think it is what it is for this season.
“But for the car, we have a little bit coming for Silverstone which seems like a promising update. I think Silverstone will be better,” he added.
After emerging as a standout prospect in the Red Bull junior programme, Ricciardo’s career in Formula 1 has began in 2011 with HRT at the British Grand Prix.He was prmoted to toro Rosso in 2012.
In 2014 he was chosen over Jean Eric Vergne to replace Mark Webber in the senior team and partner quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel.
After a stellar 2014 season with the Red Bull, Ricciardo became the team leader after Vettel’s departure to Ferrari.

TRIO OF YOUNG GUNS IN LINE TO REPLACE RAIKKONEN

Ricciardo-Hulkenberg-Bottas-750x495.jpg

As Formula 1 heads to Silverstone with the Silly Season well underway, as all eye are directed at the Ferrari camp where the future of Kimi Raikkonen is increasingly uncertain and a trio of young guns lined up to take his job.
And that is not because the Maranello team expects to beat Mercedes at the British grand prix. In fact, the red-coloured team is set to use a different approach this weekend.
After often looking a match for Mercedes in Friday practice recently, boss Maurizio Arrivabene has concluded that the German team is obviously running routinely higher fuel loads.
“I have told my engineers ‘If we want to see the true picture on a Friday, we have to use a comparable amount of fuel’,” he said.
In fact, the big talking point heading into Silverstone is Raikkonen, and whether the struggling Finn is set to keep his seat in 2016. Most insiders are now coming to the consensus that it is unlikely.
“The question is whether Kimi is better value for money than say a Hulkenberg or a Bottas,” said former F1 driver David Coulthard.
Raikkonen-Ferrari-Bahrain-750x500.jpg
Another obvious candidate is Daniel Ricciardo, who let his steadily increasing frustration with the situation at Red Bull show recently in Canada.
But Helmut Marko insists the Australian has a “bulletproof” contract, and perhaps unlike Williams with Valtteri Bottas, it is unlikely Red Bull will be tempted if Ferrari knocks on the door to buy out the deal with millions.
Arrivabene, however, sent a hint at Ricciardo when he told La Gazzetta dello Sport, “Perhaps he does not have my number.”
For now, Ferrari is happy to keep the speculation at a distance, as spokesman Alberto Antonini on Tuesday said the rumours about Raikkonen are simply something “nice to read on the beach”.
“It’s been the norm at this point in the season to talk about a bit of everything, but the truth of the matter is that there are two seats and, at the moment, they are both taken,” he said.
“We are sure many a driver would love to drive for Ferrari, but at the moment, the situation is clear — we have two nominated race drivers,” said the Ferrari official.
ferrari-kimi-raikkonen-maurizio-arrivabe
But Ricciardo’s interest may already have been piqued, particularly as he admitted at a Red Bull event on Tuesday that boss Dietrich Mateschitz’s quit threats in Austria recently have made him nervous about the future.
More than that, however, “Not talking about contracts or anything, what I want is to win”, said the 25-year-old. “A lot of my frustration is about that.
“Obviously with contracts, it is not as easy as saying ‘Yeah I will go to Ferrari’. There are things in place, and right now it would be – from my understanding of contracts – it is not likely that I can get out.
“But at the same time, I really feel that Red Bull can make a change for next year and can get back up the front. I still think we have good people in the team,” Ricciardo added.

THE FINE ART OF PIT STOPS ACCORDING TO MERCEDES

ASDbKBw-001-750x501.jpg

Mercedes give insight into what it takes to change all four wheels (and sometimes some minor aero tweaks) on a Formula 1 car, during a race in what is the art of pit stops.
What defines a ‘Good’ pit stop?
It’s easy to believe that pit stops are all about speed and, of course, every team works hard to push for the fastest possible times. But speed should never come at the cost of reliability. In practice, a top crew can change all four wheels in around two seconds. However, finding a tenth here and there in the stop makes little difference relative to the potential loss through an error.
If a wheel is not correctly attached at the first attempt, a number of scenarios can emerge. If the crew notices the error in time, the car will be held longer in the box while the wheel nut is re-attached, costing time and likely track position. If the car leaves the box with a loose wheel but stops in pit lane or makes it back around the lap, an unsafe release penalty will apply.
This will be, at a minimum, a 10 second stop-and-go penalty, with the possibility of a grid penalty at the following race also being imposed. Or, in the worst-case scenario, the wheel detaches completely and the car is forced to retire. These are the sorts of situations teams must try to mitigate against.
F12015GP02MAL_HZ8086-750x498.jpg
In terms of time, what is the best measure of a good stop?
The most comprehensive measurement of pit stop performance is not simply the length of time spent in the box itself – but between the timing beams on pit lane entry and exit. These are the same for everyone and provide a uniform analysis of the time taken to complete a full pit stop procedure, covering both team and driver performance.
The times highlighted on TV are clocked using the naked eye and a stopwatch. They also tend to highlight the single aspect of time spent in the box as the key element of a stop. However, by the timing beams, the average ranking across all races of the 2015 season so far sees the Mercedes AMG Petronas crew leading the way – and with no errors or loss of position as a direct result of pit stop procedure (see table below).
We’ve mentioned both driver and team performance here: what are the main challenges for each?
Pit stops are possibly the most visual evidence of why Formula One is a team sport. For the driver, they’re being asked to position the car accurately to within half a wheel diameter – or the size of a standard office ruler – at up to 80km/h without locking up. This really is a phenomenal display of car control.
For the crew, they are required to keep their cool under intense pressure while knelt on the ground, inches away from a car approaching at the sort of speed a truck would do on a motorway. The people around the car during a pit stop don’t change depending on the driver. They’re a collection of crew members spanning a variety of roles within the race team.
Not only do they undertake physical training to prepare for the demands of performing a sequence of good stops, they also carry out quite literally thousands of practice stops every season. A good, clean, safe stop requires total trust and confidence from all parties moving in unison. When a pit crew has confidence, that’s when they start to naturally build up speed. Reliability builds confidence, confidence builds speed.

F12015GP02MAL_HZ8440-001-750x500.jpg

How can a driver impact on pit stop performance?
There are three main elements to driver pit stop performance. The first is how accurately they can brake to the limiter line. In the ideal scenario, speed has been stable for a tenth or two as the car crosses that marker. Braking too early requires acceleration back up to the limit, braking too late will mean the car does not slow sufficiently to cross the line under the limit.
The second element is braking into the box – enough to stop on the marks but not so early that the driver has to come off the brakes and then back onto them. Finally, there is the start from the box. The most crucial of these, however, is the entry to the box itself. Between a driver who comes into the box smoothly without locking the wheels and one who locks up and stops long, the difference can be significant. Stopping 30cm long, for example, can cost up to eight tenths.
What causes this loss?
If the car is off the marks by enough distance in any direction, the entire crew must adjust their positions accordingly, which costs time. As mentioned previously, the worst case is stopping too long. 30cm, which would be classed as a long way out of position, is a significant distance relative to the reach of an average human arm.
At this discrepancy, the human ability to correct for the error disappears. The prime example is the gun men, as the wheel nut is now physically further out of their natural reach. In the most extreme case the gun men have to drop the gun from position, shuffle along by 15-20cm on their knees, bring the gun back up to position and connect to the nut.
E1M2621-750x502.jpg
What other factors can affect pit stop times?
Pit lane speed limits are another area of variation. Drivers are limited to 60km/h rather than 80km/h at certain events as it is too dangerous to be running any faster – and times will generally be longer as a result. In Melbourne, where the 60km/h limit is enforced for 289m, the loss is 21 seconds. In Montreal – a pit lane limited to 80km/h for 417m – that loss is just 17 seconds.
Where races are border line on strategy, this becomes significant. Depending on track position, at some circuits it may be faster over a race distance to do more laps on a worn set of tyres than make an extra stop, as the pit lane loss is simply too great. The opposite is true of somewhere like Montreal, where pit lane time is quick enough to open up strategic options where the difference is marginal.
Differences in grip levels from the pit lane surface itself can also be a factor. Singapore gives the best traction of any pit lane on the calendar. Here, the organisers cover the ground with a layer of paint, followed by a sand-like material, then seal it all in with more paint. It’s like driving on sandpaper, giving excellent grip.
Other circuits, particularly those which are not used too often, can start with very low levels of grip at the beginning of a weekend. Performing pit stops will naturally aid this by ensuring more rubber is laid down – however in certain cases the drivers are requested to perform burnouts in the box to lay extra rubber down.

RAIKKONEN: THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS IN OUR HANDS

Kimi-Raikkonen-Canadian-F1-Grand-Prix-Qu

Under fire Kimi Raikkonen does not believe that his future at Ferrari and in F1 for that matter is in his own hands, and in fact believes quite the contrary.
“Raikkonen’s fate is in his hands,” Italian media have quoted team boss Maurizio Arrivabene as saying, amid swirling speculation about the Finn.
Some sources have reported that Raikkonen, 35, has been given only another couple of races to post the sort of results that show he “deserves” to be retained beyond 2015.
But others believe the Maranello team, now strongly linked with Williams’ Valtteri Bottas for 2016, has already decided to move on.
“I think it’s time for a change, except if Kimi manages to win the next five or six races,” David Coulthard, Raikkonen’s former teammate at McLaren, is quoted by Speed Week.
“I am not anti-Kimi,” he insisted, “but I know from personal experience how frustrating it is when you realise that you are simply not getting better. If I had to choose, I would take one of the younger guys.”
Kimi-Raikkonen-Canadian-F1-Grand-Prix-zy
Raikkonen agrees that the only party with a decision to make is Ferrari.
“Things are not always in our hands,” he told the British broadcaster Sky at the Goodwood Festival of Speed at the weekend. “They have a contract (and) it’s up to them, either sign it or not sign it.”
Arrivabene insists that a decision has not yet been taken, but it is believed Ferrari will make a call long before the 2016 contract ‘option’ formally expires at the end of July.
Until then, the team’s new star driver, and Raikkonen’s personal friend Sebastian Vettel is making clear he wants the Finn to stay, notwithstanding the criticism.
“I have seen in the latest couple of races there has been an ebb and flow,” the German was quoted as saying at a Ferrari event in Budapest at the weekend.
“It is the nature of formula one that heavy criticism follows. I myself had four great years and then one season (2014) in which many things went wrong, including some mistakes from my side.
“And of course, there were immediately critics. But things change quickly in this sport. I think Kimi knows who he is, what he does and what he wants,” Vettel added.

TODT CALLS FOR TWO FACED ECCLESTONE TO STOP SLAGGING F1

Jean-Todt-Bernie-Ecclestone-F1-Grand-Pri

FIA president Jean Todt has urged Bernie Ecclestone to keep quiet about Formula 1’s problems, while pointing out that the F1 supremo is two faced when it suits him to be.
Ecclestone has been the harshest critic of the sport’s new turbo V6 era, calling the technology a “crappy product” in a recent interview.
And now, in a joint interview with teen sensation Max Verstappen posted on the official F1 website, the 84-year-old Briton described the move to power units as “the most stupid thing that could have happened to F1″.
FIA president Todt is quoted by the Guardian newspaper: “If he (Ecclestone) has some complaints, which may be right, it’s something we should address internally and not make it public.
“All the credit and money he has got, he deserves it, but I would hope he will be more positive about the product,” the Frenchman added.
It is often said that, in stark contrast to his former ruling alliance with Max Mosley, Ecclestone does not get along well with the more democratic, low-profile and ‘hands off’ Todt.
“I know Bernie very well,” Todt said. “I know he may tell you I am his best friend then five minutes later to somebody else I am the worst idiot he has met in his life. I live with that.
“If it is not constructive, you should not do it. But it is his style,” Todt added. “Do I intend to change him? I don’t intend to change him.”
Another thing Todt, 69, has no intention of changing is the ‘power unit’ technology Ecclestone so despises.
He is quoted by El Mundo Deportivo: “When these engines were first proposed, it was going to be four-cylinder and everyone said that would be a disaster.
“But Le Mans has just been won by Porsche with four-cylinder and I don’t think anybody will argue about the value of the victory or Porsche’s high technology,” Todt added.
He thinks the main problem with F1’s hybrid era is “communication”, but also acknowledged the units are “too expensive” for the sport’s most struggling teams.

TORO ROSSO SHINES AS ‘BIG BROTHER’ RED BULL STRUGGLE

Daniil-Kvyat-Max-Verstappen-F1-Grand-Pri

Although both teams share Renault power in Formula 1 relative minnows Toro Rosso are making big budget Red Bull look decidedly ordinary this season.
Auto Motor und Sport reports that the James Key-designed STR10 is perhaps among the three best cars on the grid this season.
“With a Mercedes engine we would be at the front,” technical boss Key is quoted as saying.
The potential of the car has been obvious on a few occasions so far in 2016, not least during rain-affected practice in Austria, where rookie drivers Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz continued to make their mark on the sport.
Toro Rosso, however, is just eighth in the constructors’ standings, ahead only of the disastrous McLaren-Honda debut and struggling backmarkers Manor.
Daniel-Ricciardo-Max-Verstappen-F1-Grand
Poor reliability has badly marred the Faenza based team’s season so far. But in the area of technical innovation, however, Toro Rosso has impressed, having been at the forefront of the ‘short nose’ trend right from the beginning.
And the rear suspension layout seen in Austria is also novel, with correspondent Michael Schmidt revealing that Key successfully argued its legality with the FIA in a 21-page dossier.
So while the team shares Red Bull Racing’s handicap in the form of Renault power, the carping from the Italian-based camp has been kept to a minimum in 2016.
“You obviously work hard and support your partner,” said Key. “In a way it motivates you more because in the short term you have to compensate with the chassis a little bit while you’re waiting for the (engine) updates to come.”

MORE ENGINE PENALTIES LOOMING FOR ALONSO AT SILVERSTONE

Fernando-Alonso-F1-Grand-Prix-Austria-hX

This weekend will not be a happy home grand prix for McLaren, and although the British team hit new lows in Canada and Austria, the end is not in sight and the hits will keep on coming this weekend at Silverstone.
“It’s never the way you want to get to the British grand prix after the two weekends we’ve had,” said Jenson Button, “but the reason for last weekend is I didn’t want to take penalties at Silverstone.”
He is referring to his 25-position grid penalty after running through his allocation of four ‘power units’ for the season, amid Honda’s disastrous return to F1 this year.
The bad run is not over yet. Honda admitted on Tuesday that Fernando Alonso’s first-lap crash in Austria damaged his brand new engine. And the issue that caused Button to retire is “still under investigation”.
“We have completed thorough checks of both power units back at the factory, and we believe that Fernando’s power unit has sustained damage from the accident, and it may be necessary to change the engine,” said the Japanese marque’s Yasuhisa Arai.
After debuting the new ‘short nose’ package in Austria, dubbed “almost a B-spec car” by boss Eric Boullier, McLaren has some more aerodynamic updates for Silverstone, but Button knows it will not be a good weekend.
It is now 18 months since the 35-year-old’s father John died, and Button smiled when he thought about what advice his dad would be giving McLaren-Honda chiefs.
“You don’t want to know what he would say – the team don’t want to know what he would say,” he said.
“I used to love it when he would say to my engineer before a race when I was on pole ‘It’s easy from here, just don’t fu*k it up’,” Button added.

Webber blames 'toothless' management for Vettel war

f1-malaysian-gp-2013-the-post-race-fia-p

Mark Webber has spoken out about his frustrations with the 'toothless' management style at Red Bull that meant it could not handle him and Sebastian Vettel being in the same team.
Ahead of the publication of the Australian's autobiography this week, Webber has been reflecting on his F1 career, and especially the often controversial spells he had alongside Vettel at Red Bull.
In particular, he believes the situation changed for him after the 'Multi 21' episode in Malaysia in 2013, when he claims Vettel's attitude towards him became totally different in the days after it happened.
"I was furious with Seb… a little bit," said Webber during an interview with ABC's Australian Story.
"But just the whole scenario, how did we get ourselves in this position? We got off the podium, and [seb] came over and said 'we need to talk, I've just f****d up so bad. I said, 'mate, let's talk next week'.
"I don't know who spoke to him between Malaysia and China, but the discussion in China didn't go well.
"He said he had massive respect for me as a driver and not much as a person. That really affected the relationship, obviously. At the time, we could hardly stand the sight of each other."
He added: "The team after Multi 21 were disappointed, no question about it. They were shown how toothless they were.
"They couldn't handle us two out there on the track, which shouldn't be like that. They just needed something to change, so I helped that decision for them and left."
f1-malaysian-gp-2013-podium-race-winner-
Growing tensions
Webber said the issues with Vettel went all the way back to just after the German joined the team, as he suggested there were hints of favouritism as early as 2010.
Looking back on an episode that season, Webber said: "I'd just won the previous two grands prix from start to finish, and then the new rear wing arrives and… goes over the other side of the garage. And I know for a fact the mechanics were furious.
"We just think, was there a bit of an agenda going on? They were very keen to keep [Vettel] a little bit happier.
"Just because I was the guy who was supposed to be a little bit washed up."
f1-brazilian-gp-2013-mark-webber-red-bul
Vettel unhappy
Webber's manager and partner Ann Neal agreed that most of the issues related to management letting Vettel get away with stuff.
"We got the impression that Sebastian wasn't happy, this Aussie was beating him, this wasn't really what it was supposed to be," she said.
"The issue started to come because of poor team management in letting [Vettel] get away with things. I'd just think 'really, you're going to let him get away with that?'
"I think Mark was good for one world championship, I think he had that drive and desire and the talent, but that ruthlessness and 'I don't give a **** about anyone', that's definitely not him."
f1-australian-gp-2013-mark-webber-red-bu
No jealousy
Despite the issues with Vettel at the time, Webber says that he has since cleared the air with the four-time champion, and has no regrets about how things turned out.
"It was all clean. It was all as I want it to be. And that's why I can look back and say I'm proud of what I achieved.
"Seb's trophy cabinet came out of it better than mine, but I'm not jealous of him at all, of what he achieved, and what he's got.
"Seb and I get on pretty well, actually. We had a good chat in Monaco, we've caught up a few times.
"It's interesting to see from his perspective how he saw things and how I saw things. We have a lot of respect for each other.
"We all look back and say 'would we have done things differently?' Absolutely yes."

If you missed the ABC show Australian Story on Sunday night, you can catch Mark Webber's story in Formula One at the link below:

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/

There's even an introduction by Webber's friend, former Australian Cricket Captain, Steve Waugh!

• Like 1

TILKE TO DESIGN BAKU FORMULA 1 STREET TRACK LAYOUT

27281-750x269.jpg

Once considered a highly unlikely fit for Formula 1, Azerbaijan is racing full steam ahead into its grand prix future.
Bernie Ecclestone has inked a deal for a street race in Baku, the oil-rich former Soviet country’s capital, and asked if it is going ahead, the F1 supremo insisted: “Yep. Sure. It’s going to be great. People are going to love that place.”
And the country may not be content to just host a race, as the sports minister has said the government is willing to back either an “Azerbaijan team or sponsorship” of an existing F1 outfit.
As for the street layout, F1 circuit builder Hermann Tilke said he is ready to start construction now that the European Games have ended.
“Of course they didn’t want to have a big construction site in the city during the Games,” he told Sports Business Global.
It is believed the inaugural race, to have the title ‘Baku European grand prix’, will take place mid next July.
Tilke said: “We are doing some unusual things there. We are going around the old city with the track. It will be fantastic.”
MIKA: NOOOOOOOO!! shead.gif

WILLIAMS PREVIEW THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX

XPB_649993_1200px-750x500.jpg

‘The Home of British Motorsport’ is naturally a treasured place in Williams’ heart and not only because the team won both its first and 100th Grand Prix at the circuit. The track consists of long sweeping corners and fast straights, making it one of the quickest laps on the calendar.
The race at Silverstone is the joint-oldest consecutively staged Grand Prix along with Monza and a race Williams has won the British Grand Prix no less than 10 times (eight times at Silverstone and twice at Brands Hatch) including four consecutive years from 1991 to 1994. Williams were once again on the podium with Valtteri Bottas in 2014.
Rob Smedley: “Silverstone should be another circuit, like the last two, that suits the characteristics of our car. We have a car that is very strong in a straight line, aided by the Mercedes power unit and the low drag configuration that we tend to run. In addition the car is strong through the high-speed corners. Last year it was an exceptional circuit for us with Valtteri coming from near the back of the grid to second position. Our target is to replicate the result from last year and get our third consecutive podium of the season. One thing we must consider is the weather, as it can be changeable throughout the weekend and will be key in our operations. It’s always great to have a home grand prix and the team get a great reception from the passionate crowd which resonates well with all the guys. We hope we can put on a good performance for them.”
Valtteri Bottas: “I always enjoy the race at Silverstone. This is normally the only chance some of the team from the factory get to see the car on track which is important. We do expect to be strong here, as the overall downforce has improved with the updates we took to Austria. After a podium for me last year and two podiums for the team in the last two races, I think we should be looking, once again, to take the fight to the cars around us in the Championship.”
Felipe Massa: “Silverstone is a great circuit, with long high-speed corners which will suit the car’s characteristics. Heading to the team’s home race, we are looking to make it a hat trick of podiums, and spirits within the team are high right now. I hope we can give the home fans another positive result and we can continue the positive momentum from the last few weeks.”

CAVALL BEGINS PARTNERSHIP WITH FORCE INDIA

Sergio-Perez-750x500.jpg

Press Release: Sahara Force India is proud to announce the launch of a new partnership with Cavall, producers of premium wine from Mexico. The Cavall logo will be featured on the team’s car, the VJM08, appearing prominently on the side view of the drivers’ headrests.
The rich soils and idyllic climate of Mexico have allowed Cavall to produce a range of products that can rival some of the most famous wine regions across the world.
Under the direction of renowned French oenologist, Stephan Derenoncourt, the state-of-the-art vineyards in Delicias, Chihuahua, boast varieties of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, alongside others such as Zinfandel, Malbec and Cabernet Franc.
Dr Vijay Mallya, Team Principal and Managing Director of Sahara Force India: “It is an absolute pleasure to welcome Cavall to the Sahara Force India family. Like a Formula One team, a premium wine producer operates in a high-quality environment in pursuit of excellence, continuously refining its products to create a unique result. These values and aspirations resonate strongly with those of our team. I thank Cavall for their support and look forward to celebrating a strong second half of the season together.”
Jaime Galvan, CEO of Cavall: “Being partners of Sahara Force India Formula One Team is a great honour for our brand. Our mission is to promote wine of the highest quality and to be associated with a Formula One team gives us the ideal platform to take our product around the world. We are excited about being part of the team’s journey this year and we are looking forward to plenty of success together.”
About Cavall:
Fifty miles southeast of Chihuahua, Mexico, lies the rural, unassuming agricultural community of Delicias. Situated in the rich Conchos River Valley, Delicias has long been known for livestock, cotton, and nut agriculture – but today Cavall 7 marks the beginning of a new direction for this rural Mexican valley. Rooted in history and guided by family, Cavall 7 has set out to establish a new international standard for premium wine production in Mexico.
The rustic locale of the Conchos River Valley may seem like an uncommon place for such a goal, but the sandy loam soil and the microclimate provide the foundation for vines that produce Bordeaux grapes with nuance and complexity to rival the world’s best. Surrounded by vineyards, the lavish, modern exterior of the winery and cellar have been constructed around the historic adobe barn built originally in the 1970s; like family, it is the heart of Cavall 7. Here world-renowned French vigneron, Stéphane Derenoncourt, will craft Cavall 7 into the new world elite of contemporary wines.

Lewis aiming for another 'big home result'

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Lewi

Having tasted success at Silverstone with Mercedes last year, Lewis Hamilton feels nothing less than another victory in front of his home fans will do.
The two-time World Champion came from sixth on the grid in 2014 to win the British Grand Prix and he is hoping for more of the same this time around.
"I can't describe the feeling I had last year - lifting that trophy again in front of the sea of fans on pit straight after so many years and after a tough start to the weekend too," Hamilton, who also won the race in 2008 with McLaren, said.
"It's something that will always stay with me and nothing less than the same again will do. I'm lucky enough to have fans all around the world - but winning in front of your home crowd is something else."
Mercedes have already won seven of the eight races so far this campaign with Hamilton tasting success four times and his team-mate Nico Rosberg standing on the top step of the podium three times.
They will of course once again be favourites for victory at Silverstone this weekend.
"We have a fantastic car this year - even better than in 2014 - and it should suit this track, so I'll be going all out to make the most of it," Hamilton added.
"The guys back at the factories deserve to see a big home result and I want to see Silverstone absolutely rocking at the chequered flag!"

Jean Todt wants more night races

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Jean

FIA president Jean Todt believes F1 should introduce more night races while he has also urged Bernie Ecclestone not to air his dirty laundry in public.
Formula 1 continues to make all the wrong headlines with many believing the sport is no longer exciting due to Mercedes' dominance and the 1.6-litre V6 power units, among other things.
Various role players have had different opinions about how to improve the show with some calling for a return to the V8 engines while others want drivers to be physically challenged when they are racing.
Todt has now added night races to the list of ways to spice things up.
"Maybe we should decide that rather than the race at 1pm or 2pm in Europe during the summer, if you ask my opinion, I would prefer to have it at 6pm in the evening. That way people can then go to the beach, arrive home and see it," he is quoted as saying in The Guardian.
Meanwhile, Ecclestone was rapped over the knuckles by Todt after the Formula 1 commercial rights holder was quoted as saying the V6 engines are "a shitty product".
"If he has some complaints, which may be right, it’s something we should address internally and not make it public. All the credit and money he has got, he deserves it, but I would hope he will be more positive about the product [in the future]," the Frenchman said.
He added:"I know Bernie very well. I know he may tell you I am his best friend then five minutes later to somebody else I am the worst idiot he has met in his life. I live with that.
"The only thing is, I will not get into that. It just creates some unnecessary gossip. I don’t have any problems with him getting more involved, as he has to if it is bringing something on board.
"If it is not constructive, you should not do it. But it is his style. Do I intend to change him? I don’t intend to change him."

Horner: 'You can't compare Formula E to Formula 1'

formula-e-fe-london-2015_l0u0575.jpg

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner doesn't agree with Sir Richard Branson's comments that the all-electric Formula E series would overtake Formula 1 in terms of popularity within "four to five years".
Horner says the series, which ended its inaugural season last weekend in London, can't be compared to F1 because it caters for a different market.
"Formula E has done well to get where they are, but you can't compare it in the same sentence to F1," he told reporters including Grand Prix Times on Tuesday.
"It's positioned totally differently to Formula 1. The cars look slow.
"I watched the [final] race on Sunday and it looks more of a competitor to GP3 than Formula 1."
Horner is also confused by the message it sends out by requiring drivers to swap cars halfway through a race which last less than 50 minutes.
"The fact that you've got to change car halfway through the race - I'm not sure it's delivering a great message about sustainable energy if you're saying you can't get to the end of a grand prix or the end of a race without having to change cars."

Nasr anticipates tough British GP for Sauber

PA1716915.0036.jpg

Felipe Nasr believes the high downforce nature of the Silverstone circuit will not play to the strengths of his Sauber, but is otherwise looking forward to what he describes as a 'home' race.
The Brazilian has lived in London for several years and regards his first start in the British Grand Prix as an adopted home race alongside the upcoming Interlagos event.
Coming to Silverstone placed 11th in the standings having slipped out of the overall top ten for the first time in Austria, though Nasr is keen to perform at Silverstone, he admits the high-speed track won't suit the Sauber.
“Silverstone is a circuit which I enjoy driving on. It is not only one of my favorite tracks, but for me also kind of a home race, because I have been living in England for five years now. Therefore, it is always nice to come back to where motorsport and its great fans are at home.
“The British Grand Prix will probably not be an easy weekend, as this high speed track requires a lot of downforce.”

Hulkenberg keen to sample upgraded Force India’s potential

PA1652170.0036.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg says he is looking forward to getting his first taste of Force India's upgraded VJM08 package to give him an idea of what he can expect from the second-half of the season.
Following several delays, the new-look VJM08 – which was previewed at the recent Red Bull Ring F1 test – will get its first proper run at the British Grand Prix, a move that comes after Force India leapt to fifth in the Constructors' standings on the back of a sixth place finish in the Austrian race.
Indeed, Hulkenberg has revitalised his fortunes in recent races, scoring well in Canada and Austria – as well as securing his historic Le Mans 24 Hours victory in between -, performances that have in turn lifted him to ninth in the standings.
A far cry from the pessimistic words from earlier in the season when Force India openly admitted it was simply waiting for the upgraded car to land, Hulkenberg is excited to see where the team can go during the second-half of the year.
“I am really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the upgraded VJM08 at Silverstone, which will give us the first impression of what we can expect in the second half of the season.

RECORD SELL-OUT CROWD OF 140,000 EXPECTED FOR BRITISH GRAND PRIX

Silverstone_Header-1198x749.jpg

The organisers of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone are predicting a record crowd on race day of 140,000 as a combination of the Lewis Hamilton effect and a new strategy on ticket pricing appears to be boosting the event’s popularity. Organisers told this website over the weekend that they are on the point of closing the ticket office as they reach capacity.
This comes against a backdrop of an Austrian Grand Prix which saw a 40% drop in attendance this year compared to the 2014 event, while the next event on the calendar at the Nurburgring, has had to be cancelled. Nurburgring has hit financial problems since a change of ownership, but Hockenheim was unable to step in as F1′s popularity in Germany has plummeted and the risk was too great for them, even with a subsidy offer from Mercedes.
Silverstone’s new ticket pricing initiatives appear to have worked, showing that the circuit is ‘open for business’ as the management say, but while the lower prices are welcomed, it’s tactics have not been universally acclaimed by fans.
Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-11.55.58.png
The recent initiative selling off some tickets at a 44% discount, with 44 being Hamilton’s race number, upset some fans who had paid full price by booking early. The circuit argued that fans who got in early had bought the best seats, whereas the discounted ones were less desirable.
But from next year Silverstone MD Patrick Allen plans a new model, more like the airline pricing system, whereby it becomes more expensive the later you leave it. One off cheap ticket blitz sales, such as the “One day only 1,000 tickets for £99″ initiatives certainly seem to have engaged fans.
Allen, whose background is in supermarkets with Co-Op, has said that the 2015 strategy has been to find the right price points at which fans are willing to purchase, so he can price tickets for 2016 accordingly. He is giving back £1 million to fans as a credit against tickets next season.
Allen said: “The support for the event has been overwhelming and as a reward we will give all the fans a £10 credit on their account which can be used against any Silverstone event, Driving Experience or Gift Voucher. Silverstone is the best attended three day sporting event on the British calendar and we are looking forward to welcoming fans for what promises to be a great festival weekend of motor racing.”
Part of the strategy is for children aged 10 and under to attend free of charge and those aged 11 to 15 pay half the adult price.
Speaking of strategy, FIA president Jean Todt told this website yesterday that he is to chair a meeting of the F1 Strategy Group on Wednesday ahead of the British Grand Prix, at which plans for ‘improvements’ from 2017 onwards to the cars and the F1 Sporting Regulations will be finalised. These will then be rubber stamped by the F1 Commission in time for the FIA World Motor Sport Council to approve them on 9th/10th July in Mexico City.
The final deadline for 2017 changes is February 2016, but this WMSC meeting is expected to move things forward quite substantially.
The race looks like being blessed with good weather, temperatures of 30 degrees are forecast for qualifying on Saturday. The high temperatures could affect the way the race unfolds; one would expect that with the Pirelli medium and hard compound tyres being obligated by the high loads of Silverstone’s high-speed corner combinations, a one stop strategy will be the default.
But Pirelli’s Paul Hembery thinks that the high temperatures, if they come, may push teams into making more stops:
“As was the case last year, we’re bringing our two hardest tyres in the range, because Silverstone gives us the highest lateral energy loads of the season. These place heavy demands on both the tyre compound and structure. So we should be seeing between one and two pit stops at Silverstone, especially if the weather is warm, which is expected to be the case.
“Silverstone is always a fantastic occasion, with an extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic fan base of British spectators. It’s one of the few circuits where the drivers say that they can actually hear the crowd as they are driving along.”
The circuit is likely to suit Ferrari and Williams, while Mercedes will again be the team to beat. Interestingly, in the last five races Nico Rosberg has outscored Lewis Hamilton by 108 points to 101, with three wins to two, so Hamilton will be highly motivated to get the momentum back into his campaign.

BUTTON: WE WON’T BE ON THE PODIUM THIS YEAR

Jenson-Button-Summer-Cycling-Photocall-E

In sixteen attempts Jenson Button has never been on the podium at his home British Grand Prix and, by his own admission, it is highly unlikely it will happen this year at Silverstone.
Button, the most experienced driver on the grid, has finished fourth on a few occasions on home soil and admitted ahead of the 2015 edition of the race, “We won’t be on the podium this year.”
“I don’t go into Silverstone thinking I might not ever finish on the podium. I still hold out hope… but you’ve got to be realistic and realise that is not possible right now.”
Nevertheless his home race remains a special point on the annual calendar, “It feels great to be heading back to Silverstone – a place I love going to every year – and it’s a real privilege to be able to race in front of my home fans. No matter what happens during a race weekend.”
Jenson-Button-F1-Grand-Prix-Great-Britai
The fan support always makes the whole event extra special, “Even though this will be my 17th outing at the British Grand Prix, seeing the Union Jacks out in the grandstands and the roar of the crowd still gives me goose bumps every time – it really is a magical feeling.”
And added, “Seeing the fans decked out in pink last year in honour of my dad was incredibly moving and something I’ll never forget, too.”
Asked what his late father John, a popular and much-missed paddock figure, would have said to the team’s engineers about the current McLaren-Honda situation.
“You don’t want to know what he would say. The team don’t want to know what he would say!” grinned the 2009 F1 world champion.

ARRIVABENE: WOULD YOU AGREE TO A PAY CUT IN FAVOUR OF A COLLEAGUE?

Maurizio-Arrivabene-F1-Grand-Prix-China-

Ferrari team boss Maurizio Arrivabene says Formula 1 is seeking “the solution” to its current wide ranging crisis, but admits the road ahead will be difficult.
When asked by Auto Hebdo about the increasingly disaffected audience, the Ferrari chief answered: “Obviously we are going through a difficult moment.”
“Everyone has acknowledged that. There are discussions at all levels and everyone agrees that the solution must be found quickly,” he said ahead of Wednesday’s key meeting of the Strategy Group in London.
“Ferrari is actively involved in all of this, because it can play a role,” the Italian added. “The same is true for Sergio Marchionne, as he is involved in all of the meetings of the Strategy Group.”
Ferrariflags-750x500.jpg
On the issue of F1’s controversial income distribution model, however, Arrivabene sounds less open to change, “Would you agree to take a pay cut in favour of your colleague? There are agreements and everyone signed his own.”
Told, however, that Ferrari received more official income in 2014 even than champions Mercedes, Arrivabene answered: “I don’t know how much money Mercedes received from FOM (Formula One Management), and I have no idea of the conditions of their contract.”
“I only know the details of ours. And if Ferrari gets more money because of its history, and because of the image that it gives to Formula 1, I believe that is logical,” he added.
Ferrari made their F1 debut at the 1950 Monaco Grand Prix and since then have participated in 898 grand prix weekends, ammassed 16 constructors’ titles, 15 drivers’ titles and 222 grand prix victories – more than any other team in the history of the sport