FORMULA 1 - 2015

Watching the Tudor USC championship at Watkins Glen right now and am giggling with delight at the sounds these engines make. Makes me miss the pre-greenie F1 engines more than ever. Nothing in the racing world sounded better than those engines.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

VETTEL: NOT MY DECISION BUT I WOULD LIKE KIMI TO STAY

1625063-34499058-1600-900-750x501.jpg

Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel has thrown has voice behind keeping current teammate Kimi Raikkonen at Maranello for at least another year.
The pair united as friends at the fabled Italian team in 2015, but while German Vettel has become the star driver, Finn Raikkonen is still struggling to regain his form of old.
But if teammate and friend Vettel has a word in the matter, he made clear he is backing Raikkonen.
“Kimi will soon return to being the driver we all know,” the German was quoted by Sky Italia during a promotional visit to Budapest.
“He is going through a season of ups and downs, but we are talking about a talent that can do his job to perfection.
Sebastian-Vettel-Kimi-Raikkonen-F1-Grand
“It’s true that this year he has made some small mistakes,” Vettel added, “but in certain circumstances he was also unlucky, so I think the situation should be considered in proportion.
“Obviously I’d like to continue with him,” he admitted. “We have an excellent relationship and we motivate each other, but it’s not for me to decide and I don’t know the details. What is certain is that Ferrari will make the right assessment for the future.”
Meanwhile the candidates to replace him are lining up, even though boss Maurizio Arrivabene said Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo may not be among them, “Perhaps he does not have my number.”
But “If I gave you the list of drivers who have called since the start of the season, (Valtteri) Bottas is just one of many,” said Arrivabene, confirming the hottest of the speculation.
kimi-austriagp-210615-krs18-750x501.jpg
The Ferrari chief said that, at present, both Ferrari seats are “full”, but it is well known that Arrivabene and president Sergio Marchionne are considering not triggering the option in Raikkonen’s expiring contract.
Results, Arrivabene admitted, are king, “Raikkonen’s fate is in his hands. He has to prove that he deserves a Ferrari, as it is something you have to earn in each race.”
In this key period in his career, 2007 world champion Raikkonen, now 35, has made apparently basic driving mistakes not only in Canada but again in Austria.
“When he deserved compliments, I did that,” Arrivabene said, “and when it was necessary to reprimand him, I did that too.”

ROSBERG: IT’S A POSITIVE TREND THAT I’M IN

Nico-Rosberg-F1-Grand-Prix-Austria-kuDXp

Mercedes driver and Formula 1 world championship contender Nico Rosberg is charging to intending to retain his fresh run of top form and continue the positive trend which has seen him win three of the last four races.
After winning in Austria, the German quickly returned to the wheel of the Mercedes in the post-race test at the same Red Bull Ring.
While Derek Warwick, president of the Silverstone owner the British Racing Drivers’ Club, told Sky he cannot understand why Lewis Hamilton did not push to do the test himself.
“He was off the pace all weekend in Austria, he had a bad start, I’d want to be trying that start out again, checking my clutch is ready for the British grand prix,” said Warwick.
The fact the pendulum has swung in Rosberg’s favour, particularly as Hamilton griped about his clutch, has raised suggestions it is Mercedes’ German star who is better at systematically developing a car over a season.
Asked if he was key to the new clutch system, Rosberg said: “There are many things that I play a role in.
SNE245991-750x500.jpg
“But the decision to change was made by the team. It was about getting a better consistency in the starts with both cars,” he told Kolner Express newspaper.
Asked about Hamilton’s complaints about the system, Rosberg added: “I don’t want to comment on that.”
What he is happy to comment on, however, is his return to form, winning three of the last four grands prix and closing the championship gap to just 10 points.
“Of course it’s a positive trend that I’m in,” said Rosberg. “You could say that I feel back on the form of last summer.”
Asked if he will be making Hamilton ‘nervous’ ahead of the Briton’s home race this weekend, Rosberg answered: “That would be nice, but I concentrate more on my performance.
“I know we will have a top car. Two years ago I won at Silverstone and last year I retired in the lead with a broken gearbox. So it’s a good place for me.”

BUTTON: HONDA ARE MASSIVELY COMMITTED TO FORMULA 1

Jenson-Button-F1-Grand-Prix-Austria-Prev

Jenson Button says Honda is fully committed to McLaren and Formula 1 despite a woeful return to the sport by the Japanese manufacturer whose engines once dominated the sport.
The nightmarish extent of the Japanese carmaker’s return to F1 this year was unexpected, but McLaren driver Button says Honda remains focused on the project.
“Honda are massively committed,” said the 2009 world champion.
That is despite the fact the Honda Motor Co has a brand new CEO in the form of Takahiro Hachigo, after his predecessor departed amid an airbag recall scandal.
Button met Hachigo for the first time at the Austrian grand prix, “The new CEO is a true racer, which is great. They’re definitely in for the long haul.”
Former McLaren driver John Watson, however, fears Button may not similarly be at McLaren-Honda ‘for the long haul’.
The 35-year-old, who has only a one-year contract, could be “the victim of saving face” at the end of a dismal return season to F1, Watson told the Daily Mail.
“Loss of face is the most significant part of the Japanese psyche and they will probably want change, bringing in one of the younger drivers, Kevin Magnussen or Stoffel Vandoorne,” predicted Watson.
What is for sure is that Fernando Alonso is staying the course.
“I hope to put some new trophies here,” said the Spaniard, as he opened his new kart track and museum in his native Asturias.
“They will come and I will bring them here myself, if not this year then next year,” Alonso is quoted by EFE news agency.

HORNER: I'VE SIGNED A CONTRACT EXTENSION WITH RED BULL

Christian-Horner-F1-Grand-Prix-Malaysia-

Team principal Christian Horner has revealed that he recently signed a contract extension with Red Bull and reports suggesting his position at the helm of the team was in jeopardy were in way off the mark.
Horner told Sky at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, “I didn’t lose any sleep over it because it is absolutely not true. I recently signed an extension to my contract with Red Bull, I have a great relationship with Dietrich and my goal is very much on getting the team back to the situation we were in 18 months ago.”
“It is total rubbish. The thing is not to put too much energy into things like that, but in the world we live in sometimes people from rival teams say things and they get picked up and then a story goes on the internet and it goes from there.”
That is the problem with social media – two weeks ago I was taking over from Bernie, this week I was leaving the team, next week I’ll be driving the car probably,” joked Horner.
Christian-Horner-F1-Testing-Jerez-Day-3-
Meanwhile Red Bull have been roundly criticised for blaming their engine partner Renault for the woeful 2015 season, with Horner at times vocal about the shortcomings of their power unit.
He said, “I think what is important for us as a team is to do the best job we can so that hopefully when a step in horse power does come, we are in a position to capitalise and use that.”
“So we are focussing as we have in every previous year on developing the car – getting the most out of the car, bringing upgrades to every grand prix and trying by the end of the season to have put a significant amount of lap time on the car.”
The team, based in Milton Keynes, head to their home race at Silverstone with their work cut-out to try and match the top pace set by Mercedes and Ferrari.
Nevertheless Horner sees a glimmer of hope, “I think the horsepower deficit is still a factor at Silverstone, but nowhere near as big as it was in Austria or Montreal, but it is still a factor as you still have long straights.”
“Even in Monaco power is a factor. But it will have less of an influence and when we get to Hungary in a couple of weeks it will again have less of an influence.”
“So hopefully we should be a bit more competitive and we are pushing hard to hopefully get more development from Renault in the second half of the year,” added Horner whose team won the 2012 British grand Prix with Mark Webber.

GROSJEAN: I GO TO SILVERSTONE IN A VERY POSITIVE MOOD

jm1521ju497-750x501.jpg

The frustration of retirement in Austria has spurred Lotus driver Romain Grosjean to want more from the team’s home British Grand Prix at Silvesrtone where he has won races in the past.
How do you like Silverstone?
RG: It’s a fantastic track with a lot of high speed corners. I won there in the GP2 Series in 2011, so I have to say it has fond memories for me. I scored points there in my F1 debut but then for the last couple of years my British Grand Prix hasn’t been so good in terms of results. This means I must be due a good result and we’ll be doing everything we can to ensure a good finish in the points!
Why is Silverstone rated as one of the favourite circuits for many drivers?
RG: Silverstone is challenging, but it has a really good feeling to it. It’s one of the quickest tracks of the year and as drivers we always like to go fast! There are corners which are legendary like the Magotts, Becketts, Chapel complex. It’s quite a feeling going through there and I can’t wait to feel that sensation once more. The whole layout has a really good, fast flow to it and you can really feel your car working hard with the downforce through the fast flowing corners. It’s a happy place to be. It’s also a special Grand Prix for the team as the factory is very close to the track. It’s always nice to see not only the race team, but also some of the many people from the factory come to see us out in action. It’s thanks to all their hard work that we’re out on track and they are all doing an amazing job, always working so hard. It really does have a feeling of a home event.
jm1523ju61-750x500.jpg
How is it as a driver visiting the factory?
RG: It’s still a magical experience as you know there are so many people and so many resources just to make two cars that you and your team-mate will race around the world. It’s such a privileged position to be in and everyone at every level in Enstone does an amazing job. This year the team has made a good step back to where we want to be which has been great to see and that’s thanks to all the hard work that goes on at Enstone.
What can be challenging about a Silverstone weekend?
RG: Over the years there’s been quite a bit of wet weather for the British Grand Prix, and this was not so much of a surprise to the Englishmen I’ve spoken to! I have lived quite near to the track so my experience of regularly visiting Enstone means that I know the weather can change quite a lot. An English summer’s day is wonderful, but sometimes you have to look hard to find one! That said, it’s looked pretty good so far this year and there is even talk of something of a heatwave coming to Britain. It’s fantastic to be at Silverstone when the weather is good and the fans are all out so let’s hope that happens.
Were there any frustrations from your time in Austria?
RG: It was a bit of a frustrating one for me. I didn’t finish the race then to add insult to injury, the Austrian weather really mucked me and the team around for the test day! My race retirement was tough to take as we should have scored another good tally of points, but it wasn’t to be. The test day was unusual as there was so much rain in the morning, but the conditions changed a lot for the afternoon so we still completed some useful runs. Every time we go out with the E23 we learn a little bit more with it, and the car is a pleasure to drive so I will start the Silverstone weekend in a very positive mood.
As a culinary connoisseur, what’s your favourite British food?
RG: For me, I really enjoy pea soup with mint and Aberdeen filet.

PASTOR: SILVERSTONE IS AN AMAZING TRACK WITH GREAT HISTORY

jm1519ju57-750x501.jpg

Two Seventh-place finishes in the last two races have buoyed Lotus driver Pastor Maldonado who is excited for what he views as a ‘home’ race – the British Grand Prix – at Silverstone.
Points again; tell us about your Austrian Grand Prix…
PM: It was a good weekend. In the race we made a poor start due to a small issue, but after that I was able to drive a good race. I stayed on the pace of the cars ahead for my first stint, even though I was on the harder tyres, then when I changed to the super softs I was able to push, even though we did a very long stint on those tyres. It was a satisfying race and I was very happy to take seventh position near the end.
How much of a boost does it give you to get two good finishes in from the past two races?
PM: It’s good for me and it’s good for all of the team. It was frustrating for everyone to be pushing so hard with no reward until Canada, so to score in Canada and Austria has been great. Scoring is what we’re all here for so we’ll keep pushing for points at every race.
Where do your tyre management skills come from?
PM: I think there are two factors. Firstly, you soon learn as a racing driver that you have to manage your tyres and if you use up all the performance early on you’ll suffer later. The other thing I think that helps me is listening to my engineers and doing what they tell me. They have far more data than me so are in a better position to make any decisions either before or during a race.
What did you think of that shimmy in the race?
PM: I’ve seen it on TV now and it looked pretty good! It was a great battle but I’m glad I was able to finish ahead of Max Verstappen and take seventh place. We were both pushing hard, though it’s sometimes a little funny when you read the headlines afterwards and then compare it to what you said. I had no real issue with Max’s driving; he was maybe a little over the limit in his defence of position at times but we all do that as racing drivers. If the Stewards watching think the driving was fine then that’s fine by me.
What are your thoughts of the British Grand Prix?
PM: I’ve won at Silverstone in the GP2 Series and I’ve always really liked the circuit. I’ve spent so much time in England that it’s like a second home to me, especially as I have family who live very close to the circuit in Oxfordshire. It’s a great event coming mid-season and it always provides an interesting race. It’s always a very special event for the teams based nearby and the support all drivers get there is amazing with some of the most knowledgeable fans in the world. I’m looking forward to racing just down the road from the Lotus F1 Team factory and seeing many familiar faces over the weekend.
What do you think of Silverstone as a circuit?
PM: I think that Silverstone is an amazing track. It has a great history, it’s fast and the change to the most recent layout hasn’t really changed the nature of the track too much. It’s always a special place to visit and you know that you’re always there for the racing as it’s not on the doorstep of a big city. I have always enjoyed racing at Silverstone since my first visit back in 2007. I also have good memories of it as I have had some great races there, including winning in both 2009 and 2010 in the GP2 Series.
Which parts of the circuit do you like in particular?
PM: My favourite corner is Becketts as it is really quick through there. I think the track will suit our car because it’s similar to Barcelona and it’s also very fun to drive with sections like Maggots and Becketts which really test you as a driver.
What about the feeling of racing somewhere which so many teams call home?
PM: Certainly, it’s home for many, many people who work in the paddock and you do get a special feeling there. The support you get from the fans is amazing; let’s hope the weather is too!

BRANSON: FORMULA E WILL OVERTAKE FORMULA 1 IN POPULARITY

VIRGIN_E_FINAL-750x498.jpg

Electric racing will overtake Formula 1 in popularity within five years, British entrepreneur Richard Branson predicted on Saturday at the final round of the new Formula E series.
Announcing a partnership between his Virgin Racing Formula E team and Citroen’s DS brand, the billionaire also said he was willing to bet all new cars would be battery driven in 20 years’ time.
“I think there’s still going to be room for Formula 1 for another few more years,” Branson told reporters ahead of the London ePrix in Battersea Park, south of the River Thames. “But there will come a time when Formula E will overtake Formula 1.”
“I think four or five years from now you’ll find Formula E overtaking Formula One as far as number of people,” added Branson. “As time goes on, the clean energy-type of businesses are going to power ahead of other businesses.”
062515-motor-formula-e-london.vresize.12
Branson has experience of both series, with the 64-year-old sponsoring Formula One title-winners Brawn GP in 2009 and in 2010 entering with the Virgin Racing team which is now Manor Marussia.
His prediction is likely to be met with scorn in the Formula One community, however, with the glamour sport measuring a global television audience of hundreds of millions and topdrivers ranking among the best-known and wealthiest sporting superstars.
Formula E cars make little noise and are far slower than Formula One and cannot currently complete a race distance due to the limitations of battery technology, with drivers having to change cars.
The arrival of DS, however, brings another major manufacturer into a series that is evolving and next year will allow teams to develop their own powertrains.
Renault and Audi are already involved while BMW electric vehicles are used as safety cars.
FormulaE-750x498.jpg
“The future is going to be fascinating and I’m taking my pills so I can live to see it,” said Branson. “I personally think things are going to move that rapidly now. What goes on in a petrol-driven engined is really complicated and antiquated and out of date and polluting.”
Jean Todt, the president of the International Automobile Federation that governs both Formula One and Formula E as well as other conventional series, said, however, that comparisons should not be made between the series.
“I think it is a big mistake to compare,” the Frenchman, who was in the audience to hear Branson, told Reuters. “It’s two different things.
“It’s like comparing London to a city on the beach…I really feel you need Formula One, which remains the pinnacle of motorsport, and you need Formula E, sportscar racing and rallying, touring cars and Formula Three.”

FORCE INDIA PREVIEW BRITISH GRAND PRIX

Nico-Hulkenberg2-750x501.jpg

Force India preview the British Grand Prix, Round 9 of the 2015 Formula 1 World Championship, at Silverstone.
Team Principal, Dr Vijay Mallya, reflects on the team’s upturn in form and targets more success at Silverstone.
VJM: “We come to Silverstone off the back of two strong results in Canada and Austria, two races that have been a big boost for everyone in the team. As we approach the mid-season point, being fifth in the championship is an tremendous achievement, especially when you take into consideration our start to the season. It’s a reward for the hard work by everyone in the team, both at the factory and trackside.
“Our recent results are an excellent platform to build on for the second part of the season, with our eagerly-awaited upgrade package making its debut in Silverstone. Everyone is full of anticipation, but we know it will be a very steep learning curve to fully understand and get on top of the changes in just a few free practice sessions. However, I remain optimistic we will see progress sooner rather than later.
“Both Nico and Checo have been performing admirably so far this year and they have seized every opportunity to score points. I have always had the utmost confidence in our driver pairing and I think this season has shown, once again, that we have one of the most competitive line-ups in Formula One.
“Silverstone is a special place for us. It’s our local race, with our headquarters just across the road giving a chance for all our factory staff to be close to the action. It is also a great race thanks to the atmosphere in the grandstands: the fans in Britain have an incredible passion for motorsport and they always turn up to create an amazing event.”
Nico Hulkenberg: “I’m really looking forward to Silverstone – the team’s home race. We go there with a lot of momentum following the strong performance in Austria where we really maximised everything. The circuit suited us, of course, but the field was really close and it was up to us to get a good result, which we did. Finishing sixth was probably the maximum we could get from the race and to come away with a good bunch of points was very satisfying. I am really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the upgraded VJM08 at Silverstone, which will give us the first impression of what we can expect in the second half of the season.
“Silverstone is one of the best races on the calendar. The fans are great and it’s hard to find an empty seat anywhere. The atmosphere is buzzing and that always gives me an extra boost. I usually go to the campsites to see the fans and it’s great to see everybody having such a good time. Because it’s our home race, I also get to spend more time at the factory with the team members who don’t usually go to races.
“As a circuit, Silverstone gives you a great feeling when you’re driving, especially in the fast corners: to get a good lap together on such a difficult track is an amazing feeling.”
Sergio Perez: “The last two races have been a bit difficult for me, but we still managed to come away with points in Austria and it was a great performance by the team. With the arrival of our upgrade package in Silverstone, it’s going to be an important and busy weekend for the team as we try to get all the new parts working together.
“I really like the Silverstone track, with its fast and flowing corners, which are great fun to drive. There is a lot of history and you feel there is something special from the moment you arrive at the circuit. I always performed well there in the early part of my career and I would love to pick up some points this weekend.
“Having our factory next to the circuit makes this a special race for the team. It’s a busy one too with lots going on with all our partners and events for the staff. I used to live close to the track – in Oxford – when I was racing in Formula Three, so this used to be my home race for a while and I still have a lot of friends in the area, which makes the week very enjoyable.”

DECISION ON RED BULL FUTURE TO BE MADE BEFORE SUMMER BREAK

12984-750x501.jpg

Red Bull is still mulling over the decision to quit Formula 1 or not according to Helmut Marko, after mogul Dietrich Mateschitz issued the threat at his own Austrian grand prix recently.
“The decision will be made before the summer break,” Speed Week now quotes Marko as saying.
It had been expected that Red Bull would make a declaration about the future last week, after a key development meeting with troubled engine supplier Renault.
But “Renault was unable to provide the data because the testing at Viry was not operating for two days because of a problem,” Marko added.
It had been suggested Red Bull’s strategy would tie in with the results of the latest dyno testing, involving developments that at Red Bull’s behest have involved the former Mercedes engine guru Mario Illien.
Marko says: “A decision on whether and how we continue in formula one must fall before the summer break. “We must have clarity on the direction of the development and what performance is to be expected.”
What is clear is that the Red Bull-Renault relationship remains tense, with Marko admitting: “We don’t need more promises, we want to see results.”

F1 DROPS JEREZ AS 2016 TEST VENUE

79P2081-750x500.jpg

Formula 1 has reportedly ditched Jerez as a winter test location scheduled for the early months of 2016.
Auto Motor und Sport claims that, to cut costs, the sport has decided to reduce its official pre-season programme from three to just two four-day tests.
It means the traditional first test at Jerez in February has been dropped, leaving Barcelona to host all eight days of the pre-season beginning in early March.
The report said the extended winter break has been approved by all eleven teams for 2016, including the new American entrant Haas.
It ties in with earlier news suggesting the race calendar for next year has been condensed, and will begin in Melbourne not in mid-March but in early April.
Auto Motor und Sport said the new first four-day test of the 2016 pre-season will now begin on 1 March, with the teams returning to the same Circuit de Catalunya two weeks later.
Pirelli, meanwhile, is planning some tyre testing of its own between the end of this season and the beginning of the 2016 winter period, as the official tyre supplier bids to add to its current range of four dry-weather compounds.
The report said Pirelli wants the test to take place in warm weather, such as Bahrain, and be carried out by one top and one midfield team, with every other team sending an observer.
Pirelli is reportedly also planning a special wet-tyre test with a 2015 car, probably in February next year at Paul Ricard, which can be artificially soaked.

FERRARI URGED TO QUIT F1 IF MONZA DROPPED

1-140001ita-750x500.jpg

Ferrari should threaten to quit Formula 1 in order to save the embattled Italian grand prix.
That is the view of the regional Lombardy president Roberto Maroni, as the uncertainty over Monza’s annual place on the calendar continues for now.
He is quoted by Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport: “(Bernie) Ecclestone must realise that he can do whatever he wants, except touch Monza.
“The grand prix at Monza cannot be lost, and on this we are ready to go to war,” Maroni added. “You cannot for purely economic reasons delete the history of formula one that goes with the grand prix at Monza.”
“The right way is to apply pressure, involving public opinion, the Italian government and Ferrari.
“So I would like Ferrari to say ‘If there is no longer a grand prix at Monza, Ferrari will no longer participate in formula one’.
“On Monday I will meet (Sergio) Marchionne for the opening of the Alfa museum and I will talk to him about this,” Maroni said.

MORE BIDDERS JOIN RACE TO BUY FORMULA 1

liberty2-750x500.jpg

More bidders have reportedly joined the race to buy Formula 1.
Last week, it emerged that the sport’s controlling shareholder, CVC, as well as Bernie Ecclestone could sell their respective stakes to a consortium involving Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and Qatar’s sports investment arm.
But F1 supremo Ecclestone hinted that they might not be alone, as “three or four” potential bidders are in fact interested in the commercial rights.
Now, the Sunday Times reports that the broadcaster Sky is among them, backed by American billionaire John Malone of the international telcom Liberty Global.
Sources told the report that Sky-Liberty “have held informal discussions with CVC about a deal”, while Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll, whose 16-year-old son Lance is in Ferrari’s driver academy, “has also been linked with a bid”.
“CVC has recruited Goldman Sachs to advise on its options,” the Sunday Times added.
Fascinatingly, the news follows a report in London’s Times newspaper that CVC looked into buying Formula E, the all-electric series that raced on the streets of London at the weekend.
But the report said CVC’s Donald Mackenzie “pulled back because of potential problems with European competition authorities”.
F1’s much-reported problems have been highlighted recently by the success of Formula E as well as Le Mans sports car racing, and Virgin’s Sir Richard Branson thinks Formula E “will overtake formula one” within a few years.
But FIA president Jean Todt said of Formula E and F1: “It’s a nonsense to think they are competing against each other.
“F1 is fascinating (so) I’m wondering why there is such negativity around it. Where is the passion to make it better?” added the Frenchman.

Massa is a 'top line driver'

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Feli

Felipe Massa's consistent form throughout his career proves that he can be considered, and still is, a leading Formula 1 driver.
Rob Smedley, the performance chief at Williams and a long time associate of Massa, first at Ferrari and now at Williams, feels the Brazilian is often written off by the media far too easily.
“I have worked with Felipe for more than 10 years and I think some of you [media] do a really good job in writing him off and have done, and will continue to do so, that he is not a top line driver,” he said.
Massa, almost became a world champion in 2008, when he won the final race of the season in Brazil, only for Lewis Hamilton to pass Timo Glock towards the end of the final lap, securing the Briton the championship by a single point.
Smedley believes he would have won if Ferrari had played their part throughout the season.
“He is the guy who came within one point of the world championship. He didn’t get there by accident and the team let him down in that case in 2008. I make no bones about it, the team let him down; operationally we were really poor. He would have won the championship by 20 points which in today's money is about 40-50 points. So, that didn’t happen by accident."
At present, Mass is having to deal with a very quick team-mate in the form of Valtteri Bottas. The Finn, in his third season of Formula 1, is currently 5 points ahead of the Brazilian in the drivers standings. Both have secured a podium finish for Williams, with Bottas finishing third in Canada and Massa finishing third in Austria.
Smedley believes that having two drivers that are pushing each other to the limit only bodes well for the team.
“They both are evenly matched, both extremely quick, and they are both canny race drivers,” he said. “They know their race track very well and I think it just swings about a little bit because they are so evenly matched."
The Briton feels that not only the drivers, but their respective engineering teams that back them also benefit from the close rivalry.
“You come to a circuit and Felipe is faster Valtteri and follows that through, and then you might go somewhere a couple of weeks later and it might swing the other way. It is just about their teams working in detail."
“What I am happy about is the way the two teams work together with their drivers now, they are both really pushing. I think we have got really great race engineers and performance engineers teams around both the drivers and that’s been a huge step forward.
“They are working in a way that I am happier and more comfortable with, and that’s bearing fruit. You get one driver in front on one weekend and then the race engineering team of the other car will go away and look at it in great detail, the amount of detail I certainly feel is necessary, and then they come in the next race in front. It is good that they are pushing each other.”

Closed cockpit research continues

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Fern

Formula 1 drivers are happy for the FIA to take the lead on improved cockpit protection, but Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) chairman Alexander Wurz admits they have "pushed" for closed cockpits in the past.
The issue of driver safety is back in the spotlight after dangerous-looking incident involving Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso at the Austrian Grand Prix last weekend.
Raikkonen lost control of his SF15-T and went sliding off the track, but Alonso was next to him and he collected the McLaren and they both went into the barriers with the Spaniard's car ending on top of the Ferrari.
Thankfully both drivers walked away from the incident unscathed, but it once again highlighted the dangers of open cockpits.
Speaking to Motorsport.com about the issue, Wurz said: "In the past we have always pushed the FIA for this, and you have seen in the last decade or more than the headrests have got a bit higher and they are in a fixed position.
"There is the ongoing debate and research which we are involved in, of covering the helmet of the driver even more, and it goes all the way up to a canopy, which was extensively researched.
"Me as a person I like it, but we have to check if there are any implications caused by a closed cockpit, like extraction from a fire. It is an ongoing topic with ongoing research.
"We are happy with the research the FIA and the FIA Institute are doing. They are doing a top job but we know it is the most dangerous area for the drivers.
"However, it is also a delicate area – and if you do a change it might have negative knock-on effects and we have to be careful with that."

F1 chiefs to hold key meeting over 2017 rules this week

ecclestone-0852LW1D2657.jpg

The future of Formula 1 could become a little clearer this week with confirmation that F1 chiefs will meet on Wednesday to try to firm up planned rules changes for the 2017 season.
A Strategy Group meeting held in May decided that 2017 would be the year of change. Refuelling, faster cars, wider rear tyres, greater aerodynamic freedom, higher revving engines and a reduction in weight were all agreed upon.
However during various follow-up meetings, it became clear that support for some of the proposals wasn't as strong as initially thought, particularly that of refuelling.
Therefore team bosses will meet again this week in an attempt to agree upon exact changes to move forward with the sports overhaul.
Refuelling is expected to be dropped completely, whilst a reduction in driver aids is to be debated. Both FIA president Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone are in favour of reducing aids which make the drivers' life a little easier.
"All driver aids we can ban, we should do it," said Todt. "If you take the start of the race, when you speak to the drivers it is just a question of regulating [the revs and clutch], which I don't think is good.
"Once we had launch control which was banned, so now the drivers must be the one to lead his start; but all of it is regulated. So probably we need to get to less sophisticated technology to make sure that we have the means for less predictable starts.
"So if we make a kind of list of specific parameters: to reduce driver aids, we can apply that immediately."
Ecclestone meanwhile is keen to see drivers showing their "true colours" by reducing the information they receive, so they're forced to make their own decisions.
"All this chatter with the pit wall and the instructions from the engineers for the drivers – all that has to stop!
"The drivers have to be in the centre again - they have to do their race and show their true colours. I promise you that it will come!"
It's worth noting that Todt and Ecclestone have the power to out-vote the teams and are therefore in a strong position to decide what path F1's future will take.

'All options open' in Renault's Formula 1 future - Chairman

renault-octane-1244CB7D1708.jpg

Renault's future in Formula 1 remains undecided, with Renault chairman and CEO Carlos Ghosn claiming "all options are open" as they debate what path to take.
The French manufacturer is currently an engine supplier to Red Bull and Toro Rosso but has complained that it isn't getting the marketing return it deserves, particularly during their hybrid-V6 crisis.
Therefore the company is currently deciding its F1 future and whether it should keep the status quo, quit the sport or return to team ownership.
"Everything is open," Ghosn told Motorsport during the London round of the new all-electric Formula E racing series in which Renault is heavily involved.
"We are really reviewing the situation, we have different options," he stated.
The 61-year-old, who is also chairman and CEO of Nissan, says Renault's future in F1 also depends on what direction the sport takes, with a final decision on 2017's rules expected before the end of the year.
"In Formula 1, there are various options that we keep analysing, but it doesn't just depend on us, it also depends on the Formula 1 governing body.
"There's the matter of TV rights, there's the matter of return on investment, but I think by the end of the year, we will take a firm stance," he added.
"Renault has a long tradition of taking part in motorsport. Formula 1 is part of it. If we could continue in better conditions, it would be the best option. But we need good conditions, which is not guaranteed yet.
"We still have not made a decision but we will make a decision soon. All the options are open."
His comments came on the same day he announced that Renault will increase its involvement in the Formula E series.

Bottas 'one of many to contact me' claims Arrivabene

valtteri-bottas_W2Q6665.jpg

Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene claims "many" drivers have contacted him about driving for the Italian team next season, amid rumours Ferrari could drop the struggling Kimi Raikkonen.
The Finnish driver sits fourth in the championship standings, but is already 48 points behind team-mate Sebastian Vettel after just eight races.
Raikkonen has mostly struggled during qualifying, with an average starting position of 7.5, but has also made mistakes during races, adding extra pressure when his contract is yet to be renewed.
Rumours have persistently linked Bottas to his seat and even claim Ferrari are willing to pay Williams to buy the Finn out of his deal which binds him to the Grove-based outfit in 2016.
Arrivabene however claims Bottas is just one of many who have contacted him and refused to be drawn on specific driver details.
"If I gave you the list of drivers who have called me since the start of the season [then] Bottas is one of many," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.
"The Ferrari is the car everyone dreams of driving, but there are only two seats and both are full."
When asked if Daniel Ricciardo, who impressed last season, was amongst those interested, he replied: "No. Perhaps he does not have my number."

Lotus 43: F1’s only 16-cylinder race-winner

Lotus-43-BRM-H16-470x313.jpg

Today’s V6 hybrid turbos are rubbish, right? The V8s were much better.
Actually, no, the V8s were a bit pants. Now the V10s which preceded them, those were the real deal.
Taking this flawed logic to extreme, the ultimate in Formula One car technology might well be this: the only car to win a round of the world championship using a 16-cylinder engine.
Strange, you might think, to dedicate an entry to a car which only appeared in five Grands Prix.
Unusual too, that what makes this Lotus particularly interesting is not some technical wizardry pioneered by Colin Chapman, but its engine.
The Lotus 43 was the car that gave BRM’s unorthodox Type 75 H16 engine its only Grand Prix victory, in Jim Clark’s hands in the 1966 United States Grand Prix.
Lotus-43-11-470x313.jpg
The 16-cylinder beast was conceived in 1966 as a means of producing an power plant for F1’s new engine rules. After the 1965 season engine capacities were doubled from one-and-a-half litres to three.
BRM’s notionally simple solution was to bolt together the cylinder banks from two of its successful 1.5-litre V8 engines in an H-pattern to create a single 3-litre unit. The engine, designed by Tony Rudd, was raced by their factory team using its P83 chassis in 1966, and was also supplied to Lotus.
The Lotus 43 was based on the 38 which Clark had used to win the Indianapolis 500 the year before. The front portion of the car was much the same, behind which the H16 was bolted directly to the chassis and the rear suspension fixed to the engine.
This was an early example of an engine being used as a stressed member in an F1 car. It pre-dated the use of the engine this way in Colin Chapman’s Lotus 49, which is often credited with being the car which pioneered this approach with its Cosworth DFV engine*.
The enormous dimensions of the H16 practically forced Lotus 43 designer Maurice Philippe incorporate it as part of the chassis.
With two pairs of engine banks stacked on top of each other, the lower banks requiring exhausts that exited beneath them, the engine was cursed with an unappealling combination of high weight, a poor power-to-weight ratio, and a high centre of gravity.
Taken together the engine, gearbox and clutch tipped the scales at a whopping 305kg. This was the antithesis of the Chapman mantra: ‘simplify and add lightness’.
It did, however, produce one of the most dramatic and distinctive engine notes ever to wail from the back of an F1 car.
BRM and Lotus struggled with dire unreliability to begin with in 1966. So much so that the engine was not seen for a few races mid-season while work was done to improve the transmission.
At its return Clark showed a flash of promise in the Italian Grand Prix, running quickly when all 16 cylinders were firing properly, until the gearbox died ten laps from home.
At Watkins Glen the car ran well in practice and Clark took second on the grid. But his engine failed late in practice, prompting BRM to give Lotus their spare. The work to reattach engine to car went on up until the final moments before the start was given. Meanwhile Clark prepared to jump into the team’s spare car, with its Coventry-Climax two-litre V8, if the work wasn’t finished.
Lotus-43-3-470x313.jpg
Clark ran in fourth place in the early stages. For all its weight and complexity the H16 was estimated to be producing little more than 375bhp. But for once it was his rivals who hit trouble.
John Surtees tangled with Peter Arudell while lapping the Lotus driver. Next Lorenzo Bandini’s Ferrari and Jack Brabham, driving his own car, suffered engine trouble.
That promoted Clark into the lead. Against expectations, the glorious cacophony from his 16 cylinders never faded, and after 108 laps he crossed the line to score a historic win.
This was the one and only time Lotus’s H16-engined car finished a race. It appeared twice more: in the season finale in Mexico, and at the first race of 1967 in South Africa. After that it was replaced by a car and engine with half as many cylinders which enjoyed vastly more success: the Lotus 49 with its Ford-Cosworth DFV V8.
The best BRM managed to do with their own engine was second place for Jackie Stewart at Spa later that year.
Though it had become a race-winner, BRM’s H16 engine was not the future of F1 engine power. But the 16-cylinder monster deserves its place in F1 history as a tremendous and idiosyncratic creation, though one that probably would never have won a race without the genius and mechanical sympathy of Clark.
Lotus-43-9-886x591.jpg
Lotus-43-10-886x591.jpg
*There were other, earlier F1 cars which also used the engine in this way, not least BRM’s P83 mentioned above.
According to automotive historian Karl Ludvigsen (in his books Colin Chapman: Inside the Innovator and Ferrari: 60 Years of Technological Innovation), the first team to do this in F1 were Ferrari, with their 158 V8 which made its debut in 1964, with which Ferrari won the constructors’ championship.
Ferrari developed the concept after seeing how Vittorio Jano’s Lancia D50 incorporated the engine as a partly-stressed member, when they took over the cars and raced them from 1955.

Webber blames 'toothless' management for Vettel war

f1-malaysian-gp-2013-the-post-race-fia-p

Mark Webber has spoken out about his frustrations with the 'toothless' management style at Red Bull that meant it could not handle him and Sebastian Vettel being in the same team.
Ahead of the publication of the Australian's autobiography this week, Webber has been reflecting on his F1 career, and especially the often controversial spells he had alongside Vettel at Red Bull.
In particular, he believes the situation changed for him after the 'Multi 21' episode in Malaysia in 2013, when he claims Vettel's attitude towards him became totally different in the days after it happened.
"I was furious with Seb… a little bit," said Webber during an interview with ABC's Australian Story.
"But just the whole scenario, how did we get ourselves in this position? We got off the podium, and [seb] came over and said 'we need to talk, I've just f****d up so bad. I said, 'mate, let's talk next week'.
"I don't know who spoke to him between Malaysia and China, but the discussion in China didn't go well.
"He said he had massive respect for me as a driver and not much as a person. That really affected the relationship, obviously. At the time, we could hardly stand the sight of each other."
He added: "The team after Multi 21 were disappointed, no question about it. They were shown how toothless they were.
"They couldn't handle us two out there on the track, which shouldn't be like that. They just needed something to change, so I helped that decision for them and left."
f1-malaysian-gp-2013-podium-race-winner-
Growing tensions
Webber said the issues with Vettel went all the way back to just after the German joined the team, as he suggested there were hints of favouritism as early as 2010.
Looking back on an episode that season, Webber said: "I'd just won the previous two grands prix from start to finish, and then the new rear wing arrives and… goes over the other side of the garage. And I know for a fact the mechanics were furious.
"We just think, was there a bit of an agenda going on? They were very keen to keep [Vettel] a little bit happier.
"Just because I was the guy who was supposed to be a little bit washed up."
f1-brazilian-gp-2013-mark-webber-red-bul
Vettel unhappy
Webber's manager and partner Ann Neal agreed that most of the issues related to management letting Vettel get away with stuff.
"We got the impression that Sebastian wasn't happy, this Aussie was beating him, this wasn't really what it was supposed to be," she said.
"The issue started to come because of poor team management in letting [Vettel] get away with things. I'd just think 'really, you're going to let him get away with that?'
"I think Mark was good for one world championship, I think he had that drive and desire and the talent, but that ruthlessness and 'I don't give a **** about anyone', that's definitely not him."
f1-australian-gp-2013-mark-webber-red-bu
No jealousy
Despite the issues with Vettel at the time, Webber says that he has since cleared the air with the four-time champion, and has no regrets about how things turned out.
"It was all clean. It was all as I want it to be. And that's why I can look back and say I'm proud of what I achieved.
"Seb's trophy cabinet came out of it better than mine, but I'm not jealous of him at all, of what he achieved, and what he's got.
"Seb and I get on pretty well, actually. We had a good chat in Monaco, we've caught up a few times.
"It's interesting to see from his perspective how he saw things and how I saw things. We have a lot of respect for each other.
"We all look back and say 'would we have done things differently?' Absolutely yes."
  • Like 1

Formula 1 tyre war now possible, reckons Michelin

michelin_-Formula_One.jpg

Michelin is convinced that it is possible to have a tyre war in Formula 1 again, without costs spiralling out of control.

F1 has not had competition between tyre manufacturers since Michelin and Bridgestone went head to head for the final time in 2006.
On cost grounds, F1 elected to have just a single supplier: with Bridgestone staying in F1 until 2010 after which Pirelli stepped in.
Although F1 is happy sticking to a single supplier, Michelin says it would welcome the possibility of competition in grand prix racing.
Michelin's motorsport boss Pascal Couasnon, whose company has applied for the 2017 tyre tender, told Motorsport.com: "We would love it. There would be a big scream of joy in Clermont-Ferrand!"
Cost fears unfounded
The major argument against a tyre war is that it will raise costs for both teams and suppliers, but Couasnon says it won't necessarily turn into a spending race.
"It could be more expensive than if you were by yourself, but the times are very different from 2005 and 2006," he explained. "There are a limited number of test days today, so just by that you limit the cost.
"Today the teams are also spending a lot of time trying to understand the tyre, trying to use it better, so are they going to spend much more money if there are two tyres? I don't think so.
"In sportscar racing, Michelin and Dunlop are there. Okay it's open, but the costs are very well controlled.
"I would say it's possible to have tyre competition. I will not say war because when you talk about war you're talking about a lot of resources. But with controlled resources, for a good battle, it is possible..."
  • Like 1

Why Formula 1 has to 'take it or leave it' over Michelin tyre plans

0321F8480000044D-3128545-Michelin_was_la

Michelin wants to enter Formula 1, but not at any cost, as it has made clear to the FIA. Adam Cooper explains why the French manufacturer does not want anything to do with the current 13-inch wheels.

With talks set to continue this week about agreeing new Formula 1 cars for 2017, a perhaps as significant battle is raging behind the scenes between Pirelli and Michelin over future tyre supply.
The two companies are locked in a fight to secure the F1 tyre contract from 2017, but both are approaching the situation in a totally different manner.
While Pirelli says it is happy to do what the sport wants, Michelin has taken a bold gamble by putting all its eggs in one basket.
It says it is only committed to a future of 18-inch wheels - and has told F1 chiefs to decide whether or not they want such a change to be part of grand prix racing's future. If they don't, Michelin will walk away.
Michelin motorsport boss Pascal Couasnon told Motorsport.com: "We have been very clear.
"If the solution is to stay with 13 inches, we're not interested. That's the proof that we are there with very clear ideas.
"It's not that we just want to be absolutely visible on the track or whatever, we want to bring new ideas. We will respect the decision, that's fine, but that's the way we want to go.
"We've always loved the sport, that's not a secret. We have been proposing some ideas now for a long time, I would say since 2010. It would be easy to talk and propose stuff, and then when we had the possibility to act, say no we're not interested.
"So we have made a proposal. We've given some strong guidance, because we don't believe that staying with 13 inches makes sense especially in terms of justifying the investment. That would not be a cheap date!"
Road car relevance
The logic is easy to understand. Like any company involved in motorsport, Michelin's rationale for being there is a mixture of technology transfer and simple marketing of the brand. Thus racing tyres have to relate to their production counterparts.
"We want to make sure that what we will learn can be transferred, and the physics of a very high sidewall is so different.
"If you look in the parking lot this morning, you don't see these tyres. So let's take advantage of what we learn.
"And the track to street really makes sense for us. We are talking about 18 inches, but if it's 19 inches, why not? The key thing is get closer to reality."
Cost argument debunked
The argument from the teams is that a change of rim sizes will mean a complete rethink of braking and suspension systems, just at a time when the issue of costs is under sharp focus. Couasnon has an interesting answer to that charge.
"There are pros and cons. In terms of saying it costs a lot of money, it does. But today, I'm convinced that there is a lot of money that's being spent to understand the [Pirelli] tyre. So is it going to be much more money? I'm not quite sure.
"I would say we'll have a tyre that would be interesting to work with. We've seen with Renault – it's no secret that we are working with the Formula 3.5 – very good results so far.
"We see that there is potential with the settings of the car, maybe more ways to really play with the settings of the cars, which will make it more interesting for the engineers.
"We want tyres that are going to make the driver very tired when he's done racing. We are not against pit stops or a good show. I would argue that Le Mans over the last several years has been an incredible show, with great technology tyres.
"So it's possible to have a show, and we can have pit stops with a tyre that allows you to drive 100 per cent of the time."
Sporting excitement
So without the sort of degradation that Pirelli has been asked to provide, how would you guarantee that there would be pitstops? Michelin's ideas might not go down well with everyone.
"You could say for example you have two specs, and with Spec A for example you have 'x' laps maximum, and you use them the way you want. Or within 'x' number of races you've got that many laps."
To land the F1 deal Michelin has to please both Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA, as well as the teams. It's well known that Ecclestone is historically close to Pirelli, while Todt is sympathetic to Michelin.
"We've been starting to talk to the teams, we want to understand a bit further what they want," says Couasnon. "You need to go step by step. First of all it's really what's important for the FIA, what's important for FOM, what's important for the teams.
"We've been talking to Bernie for some time, we expressed why we are giving this guidance, and at the end we will respect his decision. We believe that we can bring something very positive to the sport, that's why we made the proposal. Then we'll do our best. What will happen will happen.
"We have a normal relationship with Jean, and I'm sure the FIA will look at the different proposals. Their role is to make sure that technically everybody can deliver what they said. They are very competent on that. We'll know mid-July what's going on."

Formula 1 chiefs in fresh push to get rid of 'driver aids'

e21-steering-wheel.jpg

Formula 1's top chiefs have made clear their desire to get 'driver aids' out of the sport, ahead of key talks later this week to move forward with a 2017 overhaul.

The F1 Strategy Group is due to meet on Wednesday to analyse the findings from a series of meetings that have taken place recently to discuss changes to improve the spectacle.
While measures including faster cars – through bigger tyres and improved aerodynamics – should get the green light, other ideas that have been suggested like the return of refuelling are set to be dropped.
However, both FIA president Jean Todt and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone have highlighted that one factor they want swift action on is reducing technology that is helping make the drivers' life easier.
Todt said: "All driver aids we can ban, we should do it. Although the engineers, they are smart people, so they will try to find a way to interpret that.
"If you take the start of the race [for example], when you speak to the drivers it is just a question of regulating, which I don't think is good.
"Once we had launch control which was banned, so now the drivers must be the one to lead his start; but all of it is regulated. So probably we need to get to less sophisticated technology to make sure that we have the means for less predictable starts.
"In a way, I don't have all the know how. So I need to have people to work out how to reduce as much as possible the driver aids: which is a mandate I keep giving.
"If they come back to me about what to do, I am happy to make sure that it will be introduced. So if we make a kind of list of specific parameters: to reduce driver aids, we can apply that immediately."
Drivers must show true colours
Ecclestone too is aware that the growth of technology in the sport – especially under the new hybrid regulations – means the impact of the drivers is being made less and less.
In a revealing interview with F1 rookie Max Verstappen on the official F1 website, he said that big changes were being planned to make drivers heroes again.
"To be honest, the most stupid thing that could have happened to F1 is these engines," said Ecclestone.
"These are no longer engines in fact. The batteries and hybrids and all that - that's no longer an F1 engine.
"All this chatter with the pit wall and the instructions from the engineers for the drivers – all that has to stop!
"The drivers have to be in the centre again - they have to do their race and show their true colours. I promise you Max that it will come!"
Turning dashboard off
Verstappen revealed that he was already so annoyed by the pit wall instructions and focus on managing the engines that he had started turning his steering wheel dashboard off.
"Even for us young drivers the amount of technical stuff is too much," he said. "I would say that right now only 20 percent is occupied with racing, and the vast majority of the remaining 80 percent with watching over the technical stuff. Do you know what I do to escape that?
"I tell my engineers that they should not overload me with information. We are getting way too much info in the cockpit.
"Sometimes I switch off the display in my car! I want to rely on my gut feeling. Isn't that what made great race drivers in the end?"

Ricciardo and Sainz bring F1 back to Mexico

f1-red-bull-showrun-ciudad-de-mexico-201

Formula 1 returned to Mexico City on Saturday, as Red Bull brought Carlos Sainz and Daniel Ricciardo aboard a pair of RB7-Renaults for a roadshow event on the capital city’s streets.

Government authorities estimated a crowd of 70,000 turned out in downtown Mexico City.
The event was organised as a preview to the return of the Mexican Grand Prix, which takes place on November 1 this year.
Speaking about the prospect of racing in Mexico, Sainz told Motorsport.com: “I love countries that speak my language and I want to do great here.
CImePHcWIAARDC-.jpg
“It’s going to be a very special circuit for everyone – teams and drivers – because there is going to be many challenges, and then we have the altitude issue [2300 meters above sea level].
“An F1 motor loses power with altitude, and it’s hard to have the perfect set up; the human body also will suffer. We will have lots of things that will change.”
f1-red-bull-showrun-ciudad-de-mexico-201
The roadshow took place around the Zocalo and 20th November Avenue, and also featured Tavo Vildosola, the Mexican Baja 1000 driver.
The next event is a similar event run by Ferrari, which will be held in Paseo de la Reforma in the city on August 2.

My Favourite Race - Valtteri Bottas

AU1333446.jpg

Formula One drivers are by nature self-centered, focused solely on looking after number one in the world's most individual team sport. Ask most racers a question, and their first thought will typically be about themselves, their thoughts or their feelings.
It's something of a pleasant surprise then that when Crash.net sits down with Williams Martini Racing's rising star Valtteri Bottas to talk about his favourite race, the Finn doesn't immediately reflect back on a Grand Prix of particular personal career resonance.
Casting aside the temptation to choose his debut race at Australia in 2013, his maiden points at Austin at the close of his rookie season or his first front-row start and podium at Austria in 2013, Bottas instead shows he is something of a student of the sport by nominating the 1997 European Grand Prix as his favourite race.
The final round of the 1997 season, the race is of course well-remembered for the title showdown and notorious collision between Williams' Jacques Villeneuve and Michael Schumacher in the Ferrari. For Bottas though, the race made an impression for an altogether different reason.
“I think [it's my favourite] because it was Mika's first win and it was a massive thing in Finland,” Bottas recalls. “I was seven or eight years old, and I'd been watching Mika's races before. I think it gave him massive confidence getting that first win. He'd waited six years, and once it happened I'm sure it unlocked something in him. I watched all of the races but that's one that stands out.”
It's an interestingly patriotic take on one of Formula One's most contentious races. Hakkinen was on the cusp of his sharp progression from a talented yet frequently unfortunate underdog to championship-challenging hard-charger, and the first win was something of a watershed moment.
Securing that maiden win was far from straightforward for Hakkinen though. Having qualified fifth, Hakkinen was initially part of the sub-plot behind the fascinatingly tense title fight between Schumacher and Villenueve.
The protagonists, who along with Heinz-Harald Frentzen had remarkably set the exact same qualifying time to the thousandth of a second, initially set off in a race of their own. For a young Bottas, watching at home with his father, there was no question of where his loyalties lay. “I also liked Villeneuve at that time, he was racing with Michael and I was supporting Villeneuve,” he recalls.
When the crucial flashpoint came on lap 48, Bottas was left in no doubt as to who was to blame. “They were fighting for the title and then when they hit it was a cool moment”, Bottas remembers. “I must have been cheering. I think you can see Schumacher was at fault though – you can see afterwards the movement with the steering wheel.”
With Schumacher out and Villeneuve ailing, the McLarens of Hakkinen and Coulthard were able to pass the Williams on the last lap – clinching Hakkinen's maiden victory, McLaren's first 1-2 since the 1991 Japanese GP and Villeneuve's first world title.
Having taken his first pole position two races previously at the Nurburgring, Hakkinen's first win afforded him crucial momentum heading into 1998. As Bottas recalls, “McLaren had a really good car in the next season and Mika went on to be really successful.”
Bottas, who has started go-karting in 1996 at the age of seven, was a devout fan of his countryman growing up, and says he found it strange that he ended up as a protégé of his childhood idol. “It's weird. I was supporting him as a kid and he was a hero. For me that was a big motivation to try and get into F1. Then one day in 2008 he called me up and said he wants to meet me and wants to help with my career.”
Despite their comfortable relationship now, Bottas says that he still hasn't broached the subject of Hakkinen's first win with his erstwhile mentor. As the new great hope of Finnish motor racing gets ever closer to breaking his duck in Formula One, perhaps he could do worse than to re-watch the tape of his favourite Grand Prix for a few pointers…