FORMULA 1 - 2015

Massa weighs in on pre-season form

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Feli

Mercedes have once again produced an "amazing car" while Ferrari have taken a "step forward", that's according to Felipe Massa.
As the opening pre-season test wrapped up after four days at the Jerez circuit, the Williams driver was asked for his opinion on his team's rivals.
"It's always difficult to give a good answer at the end of the first week of tests," he told ESPN.
"There's still a lot to understand, not just from us but from others as well.
"It's still clear that Mercedes has an amazing car. Ferrari maybe made a step forward but I'm still convinced that we can be there fighting again."
Massa showed solid form during his two days behind the wheel of the Williams FW37.
Wracking up 144 laps, he finished testing with a best time of 1:22.276 and says he is happy with Williams' start to the year.
"I still have a good feeling on the car. At the beginning I think it was very positive because we did not have any reliability problems, which is quite good.
"I think it was a good start and we need to prepare everything we can now to go to Barcelona in a more prepared way. We need to test everything we need thinking about Australia.
"It was a good start and I'm still happy like I was yesterday."

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

Sainz Jr: Lack of experience is no worry

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Carl

Carlos Sainz Jr says he is "definitely" up to the task of competing in F1 and hopes to one day win the World title.
This saeson the Spaniard will make his debut at Toro Rosso alongside fellow rookie driver Max Verstappen.
With a combined age of just 37, the duo make up the youngest line-up on this year's grid.
That, though, is of no concern to Sainz Jr, who reckons his lack of experience is not a concern.
"No, no worries at all," he said in an interview with the official F1 website.
"Sure it means pressure - but a kind of pressure I've had all my life, or at least since I joined the Red Bull Junior team.
"There you have the pressure of performing, of winning all the time. And the biggest pressure anyway comes from myself, so outside pressure is welcomed."
Pressed as to whether he is sure he'll be 'able to win', the rookie added: "I will! Number one thing in this environment is: you have to have faith in yourself. Without that it is impossible to survive here. So I definitely believe I can swim!"
As for his dreams for the future, the 20-year-old wants to one day win the Drivers' Championship.
"To be a champion one day," he said. "And every day I will work to being a better driver, a better professional to one day achieve that goal. Spain is ready for a second name in the F1 annals!

F1 Strategy Group rejects bid by Marussia to keep 2014 car

Marussia_Max.jpg

Another road block in the resurrection of Marussia.

The F1 Strategy Group has rejected Marussia’s request to use its 2014 chassis this season, sources have confirmed.
Changes to the regulations related to front chassis height for 2015 mean that most of last season’s chassis are illegal, including the Marussia. Other rule changes can in theory be dealt with.
Given the financial problems that forced the team into administration the team’s only chance to carry on in its current form would be to utilise last year’s chassis, which used a Ferrari power unit and gearbox. Even if approval had been given the team would have had to come to an arrangement with Ferrari over its £16m debt.
The Strategy Group includes Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren and Williams on a permanent basis, as well as the next best placed constructor, which this year is Force India. Only proposals that emerge intact from the Strategy Group can go onto the F1 Commission, and then to the World Motor Sport Council.
One step forward, two steps back
It was announced earlier this week that Marussia had apparently found a way forward and that it was exiting administration as of February 19, but options now appear to be limited for John Booth and his colleagues.
By coincidence the Caterham administrator announced today that the team’s cars and other assets were going to be auctioned, meaning that the attempt to keep the team running as a going concern had been abandoned.
It remains to be seen whether or not this really is the end of the story for the two teams which both made their first appearances in Bahrain back in 2010.

McLaren-Honda working on cultural barriers - report

PA1628501.0036.jpg

Horse power and downforce are not the only challenges taking place behind closed garage doors at McLaren-Honda this pre-season.

A report in the Spanish sports daily Marca claims that although the famous companies achieved huge success in F1 decades ago, they are once again going through the motions of learning how to work closely together in 2015.
"There is a group of mechanics and engineers working on the car," team boss Eric Boullier is quoted as saying, "and another learning how to work with the Honda technicians.
"Then they will change so everybody learns," he added.
Marca said the cultural and language barrier between the British team McLaren and the very Japanese engine manufacturer Honda is being overcome.
"Before, with Mercedes, there were some Germans but also Englishmen, but now there are only Japanese and that requires adaptation," Boullier admitted.
10931109_693097447463579_653432779752538
Button good working with Honda engineers
A useful key to unlocking the cultural divide is Jenson Button, the British driver who won his first Grand Prix for the works Honda team in 2006.
He also has a Japanese wife, the model Jessica Michibata "and I know how they are culturally", the 35-year-old said.
"It is true that even when they say 'yes' it does not always mean the same as when we say it," Button added.
Former F1 driver Pedro de la Rosa also knows well the Japanese way of working, having raced in the country's premier GT and open-wheeler series.
"I remember going out for a few laps, speaking to them and saying 'change the floor' or the wing. They said 'yes, yes, yes', I went out again and the car was the same," the Spaniard said.
10945609_10152970077526413_6495924361643
Not a big deal according to team
McLaren's engineering director Matt Morris, however, paints a different picture, claiming the language and cultural barrier is not too high.
"All the senior engineers, all the engineers here at the race track, speak good English," he is quoted by Speed Week at the Jerez test.
"Even during our visits in Japan, the language was not a problem," he added.
On the track, it was a tough opening test of the pre-season for McLaren-Honda, but Morris said that with eight more test days before Melbourne, he is not worried.
"Honda brings something new almost every day," he revealed. "And that will be the same in Barcelona too.
"We have an internal goal for Melbourne, and we still running to the plan."

Formula 1 meets for 2017 rules revolution talks

1423126737.jpg

Formula 1 chiefs are to discuss plans to fast-track a revolutionary overhaul of grand prix cars at a Strategy Group meeting in Paris on Thursday.
The gathering of top teams with Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt will push on with talks over creating more spectacular and faster F1 machinery - potentially with 1000bhp engines - for the 2016 and '17 seasons.
Draft ideas for changes that can be made - both in the short and longer term - have been prepared over recent weeks, and team bosses will be asked to evaluate what direction is best for the sport.
Changes that will be considered - potentially as early as next season - include making cars wider, and adding more downforce and better performing tyres.
The plan for 2017 involves an overhaul of the engine rules to create a major step up in power. There is some disagreement, however, about how this should be achieved.
But despite an eagerness to make changes that would attract fans at a time when F1 is questioning why audience numbers are falling, there are also concerns about the cost implications.
McLaren chief Ron Dennis said at this week's first F1 pre-season test that while an overhaul of grand prix racing was welcome; it must not serve also to escalate costs.
"If we are going to change F1, we should change it dramatically," he said. "Therefore we should change it dramatically for 2017 and then it will be affordable.
"If we dramatically try to change F1 for 2016, then the cost implications will be huge - because we are also trying to save money."
GRID SIZE ALSO A PRIORITY
Tighter cost control is expected to be a major talking point at the meeting too, with the FIA having set up a research panel in recent weeks to investigate potential rule changes that could help bring budgets down.
Williams chief technical officer Pat Symonds is one who believes that securing the future of the grid is the most important priority.
"I like the idea of 1000bhp engines, I like the idea of spectacular cars," he said.
"But I also like the idea of having a lot more cars on the grid and that's what I think should be our prime concern at the moment: to have a good business and something that the spectators also want to watch."
There is a clear desire by the FIA to make changes, with a framework having been set up so rule tweaks can be ratified before a March 1 deadline with only majority support needed.
Technical and sporting working group meetings have been called for later this month, with a meeting of the F1 Commission that must approve rule changes tabled for February 18.
The Strategy Group meeting will also likely discuss the fate of the Marussia team, and whether it is possible for the team to get approval to start the campaign with a 2014 car.
Discussions may also happen over the future of the German Grand Prix.

Completely agree mate, RBR also state that the design will be even better for the Melbourne GP.

Cant wait to see, glad to read the engines are sounding better as well. When i was at the montreal GP last year it was an terrible. the race was fantastic though. i'll be pulling for RBR since vettel is longer driving for them, but i'll be a Lewis Hamilton fan forever...SO i guess again this season i'll be mainly rooting for Mecerdes...again.

• Like 1

Cant wait to see, glad to read the engines are sounding better as well. When i was at the montreal GP last year it was an terrible. the race was fantastic though. i'll be pulling for RBR since vettel is longer driving for them, but i'll be a Lewis Hamilton fan forever...SO i guess again this season i'll be mainly rooting for Mecerdes...again.

Yeah, I'm a Mercedes fan myself but for Nico. ;)

Also hope Williams do well again this year, get a few P1 on the podium would be nice to see.

Mercedes are sandbagging the crap out of their performance and will wrap up the championship with 5 races to go. Mark my words. It will be a snooze fest if you care for the constructors championship.

• Like 2

Mercedes are sandbagging the crap out of their performance and will wrap up the championship with 5 races to go. Mark my words. It will be a snooze fest if you care for the constructors championship.

I think you're right about that BUT I also think this season we will see the field a lot closer with Williams and Red Bull, perhaps even Ferrari.

I myself don't care much for constructors, I much prefer watching the individual drivers battle it out. Either way, I agree, Mercedes will dominate for sure. :)

• Like 1

If it ends up being another Mercedes snooze fest I'm pretty sure I won't make much of an effort to watch many of the races. I'm beginning to understand how the Vettel haters have felt for the last several years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If it ends up being another Mercedes snooze fest I'm pretty sure I won't make much of an effort to watch many of the races. I'm beginning to understand how the Vettel haters have felt for the last several years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Well look who's decided to grace us with his presence!! lol3.gif

Vettel haters are no different from the Schumacher haters/era. We all want to see a close championship but any sport is really about winning so where you have Schumacher, Vettel now Mercedes winning, I guess that's sport and everyone has an even chance of winning or dominating. :)

Let's see what transpires.

Nice to see you Greg ;)

I wonder how much of the good Ferrari show is real? If anyone should be accused of running on light fuel for show it would be them, they seem to have the most to gain. If it's real, I'm not a fan of Ferrari but it would be nice to see a legitimate challenge for Mercedes.

• Like 1

I think everyone is right with mercedes but I'm excited to see some great racing from RBR, ferrari and williams. Hope they can put on a show

Well Williams intrigues me. Lots of very positive talk coming from them. I would love to see them close the gap. That would make this season a lot of fun.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am a Vettel fan and bleed Ferrari red.. Going to miss Alonso as he is the best driver in the field, but I think Vettel brings valuable input to Maranello.. don't write off Grosjean and the Lotus e23, with the new Merc unit I expect Lotus to be right back in the mix.

Should be another interesting season.

• Like 1

BOTTAS: I WANT TO BE IN THE QUICKEST CAR AVAILABLE

W2Q3935.jpg

Highly rated Valtteri Bottas has not denied he might be looking to take Kimi Raikkonen’s place at Ferrari for 2016, provided that he is in the quickest car available.
Raikkonen, who struggled last year, remains under contract to the Maranello team for this season, with an ‘option’ still in place for 2016.
When asked about that at the Jerez test, the Finn answered: “It’s up to me and the team to do a good job this year. If it goes badly and I don’t sign it then I don’t sign it.”
Fellow Finn Bottas, who is managed in part by Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff, currently drives for Mercedes-powered Williams.
The Grove team is keen to keep Bottas on board, having groomed him from a test driver into what Pat Symonds thinks is a potential F1 great.
140106aus.jpg
Technical boss Symonds has worked with great champions including Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso, and thinks Bottas is in the same title-obsessed mould.
“These are very encouraging words from him,” said Bottas.
It may ultimately prove difficult for Williams to hold onto Bottas, however, given that while the British team shone in 2014, its budgets cannot compete with the true F1 grandees.
The 25-year-old’s form last year reportedly earned him the interest of Ferrari, but Wolff has also said Bottas is close to the front of the queue should Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton not stick together beyond 2015.
When asked about Ferrari’s apparent interest, Bottas said: “I don’t know anything about Kimi’s contract.”
“All I know is that I want to be in the quickest car available,” he told F1’s official website. “That’s all I can say.”

MAGNUSSEN: I WAS VERY UPSET WHEN I LOST THE RACE SEAT

L4R2046.jpg

Axed McLaren driver Kevin Magnussen is not ruling out looking at other series to keep his racing instincts sharp, and admits that losing the seat was a big personal blow.
Just a year into his F1 racing career, the 22-year-old has been pushed aside by McLaren in favour of its all-champion lineup for 2015 featuring Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button. He admits he is disappointed.
“Personally, I think I did a good debut season,” he told the Nordic sports channel Viasat.
“I do not think I could have done anything else. It is logical that as a world champion, Jenson got more points than me, but a few times I was able to show my potential.
“I was often faster than Jenson, for instance in qualifying. In the end it was not enough to fight for a place with Fernando and Jenson.
Jenson-Button-Kevin-Magnussen-F1-Grand-P
“Formula 1 is a complex world with very high pressure and expectations, and now I really understand it. I became harder as a driver and a person and I am sure I can use this experience when I get back among the main drivers in F1,” Magnussen added.
“Of course I was very upset when I lost the race seat, I was ready to fight and did not want to take a step back, but we have a special situation.
“I gave way to a double world champion, and even if I didn’t like it, I’m still quite young and have a lot of years ahead of me. I will try to hold on for as long as possible to get another chance,” he said.
Magnussen, whose father Jan was also an F1 driver, continued: “We are analysing several options for continuing my career.
“I want to race; it’s important for me to get back behind the wheel, even if it’s not in Formula 1. “It is not good to not race for a whole year, especially when the testing in formula one is extremely limited.”
“If this had happened ten years ago, I probably would not be thinking of this, but it is important for my development to keep racing.
“I do not know what option is best. Indycar is one, but there are others. Let’s see how the situation develops.”
One rumour that has emerged this week is that McLaren may be helping ailing Manor’s revival bid, in order to set up a sort of Honda ‘B-team’. Magnussen has been mentioned as a potential driver.
“Anything is possible,” he responded. “Marussia? I think this is only a rumour.
“The situation has changed recently, we are watching how it develops but we have not talked with that team,” Magnussen insisted.

WILL ALONSO RETURN MCLAREN TO WINNING WAYS THIS YEAR?

Jerez-Test-FEB-2015-004-alonso-button.jp

Respected insiders are not expecting McLaren-Honda to shine in 2015, and as a result predictions surrounding Fernando Alonso’s return to the team are increasingly bleak.
With the Japanese engine maker Honda returning to the sport this year to revive its iconic collaboration with the British team, it has notably struggled so far simply to run its compact and complex turbo V6.
McLaren-Honda managed to secure arguably F1’s best driver – Fernando Alonso – to spearhead the project, but not everyone agrees that even the Spaniard can be a silver bullet.
“Fernando is a driver who could have taken five world titles, but he has made some bad decisions with teams,” Livio Oricchio, a veteran Brazilian correspondent, is quoted by the Spanish daily AS.
Jerez-Test-FEB-2015-007-Alonso-McLaren-H
“In 2007 he left a team at the top to go halfway down the grid, and now he’s back with a team where he knows he will have to wait to win. That’s his fault,” he argued.
Oricchio added: “I do think they [McLaren-Honda] have all the potential, especially with Alonso, but this year I think they cannot win. In 2016, probably yes.”
Sharing that view is another of F1’s top journalists, the Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt, “Fernando is the best, but of course he also needs a good car.”
“McLaren will give it to him, along with Honda, but not this year. Mercedes is still at a much higher level, then there’s Ferrari and Williams and Red Bull.”
“McLaren? Their time will be 2016,” Schmidt added.

FORCE INDIA DEFENDS BLOCKING MARUSSIA REVIVAL

jm1407ju440.jpg

Force India has defended blocking Marussia’s application to return to the Formula 1 grid this year using a 2014-spec car.
Now called Manor, the ailing backmarker once known as Marussia had reportedly secured the backing of former Sainsbury’s chief Justin King and intended to exit administration later this month.
So team president Graeme Lowdon made a written submission to Thursday’s meeting of the strategy group on Paris, asking for dispensation to field the 2014 Marussia car under this year’s regulations.
But reports suggest Force India was the first to formerly object on Thursday, thus ending Manor’s hopes of securing an unanimous vote.
Robert Fernley, deputy team boss of the Silverstone based team whose 2015 car is also delayed, confirmed that Force India rejected Manor’s bid due to “compliance issues” and because the application “lacked substance”.
He revealed that “no details were supplied of who the new owners would be” and expressed concern about a lack of “information” and “guarantees”.
“The decision was taken that it is better to focus on ensuring the continued participation of the remaining independent teams”, Fernley added.
According to Bernie Ecclestone, however, there may also be a financial element to Force India’s decision, amid rumours the Vijay Mallya-headed team is also in financial strife.
Manor was due to receive about $45 million in official prize money if it survived into 2015, moving Ecclestone to tell The Independent: “The money that they should have got gets distributed amongst the teams that are racing.”
“That’s a pretty good reason I suppose,” said the F1 supremo.

MARUSSIA TARGETS RETURN TO F1 GRID BY CHINESE GP

1-Marussia_15137_HiRes.jpg

At the strategy group meeting in Paris last week, Force India and other rival teams blocked the ailing Marussia’s bid to return to F1 as Manor this year by using its 2014 car, which appeared to be the death knell for the backmarker team, but apparently not…
Auto Motor und Sport claims on Friday that Manor has a new plan, as correspondent Tobias Gruner reported, “The team will attempt to get a car ready for the new regulations for the third race in Shanghai.”
Under the current rules, teams reportedly may miss up to three grands prix and still keep their world championship status alive.
Gruner said Manor has ruled out being able to get a 2015 rules-conforming car up and running for Australia and Malaysia, so the Chinese grand prix in mid-April has now been set as the new goal.
“Whether a team with limited resources and a diminished staff can win this race against time is unclear,” the correspondent added.
But “Bernie Ecclestone is said to have promised the team his definite support,” Auto Motor und Sport claimed.

STRATEGY GROUP REJECTS F1 V8 ENGINES FOR 2017

DFV3_lg.jpg

The powerful Formula 1 strategy group on Thursday rejected Ferrari’s proposal to replace the current V6 engines with a twin-turbo V8 formula for 2017.
However, Auto Motor und Sport reports that plans to boost the cars to a whopping 1,000 horse power nonetheless remain on track.
The report said that when Ferrari’s V8 proposal was raised, Honda and Mercedes “rejected it outright and threatened to withdraw from formula one”.
Bernie Ecclestone’s touted 1,000hp figure will instead be achieved by reportedly using the current turbo V6 architecture and tweaking the fuel flow limit.
Also rejected were ideas by Red Bull and McLaren, outlined in aggressive-looking drawings, to significantly improve the shape of the current F1 cars for 2016.
“Fearing a cost explosion, most teams do not want to take this step until 2017,” correspondent Michael Schmidt claimed.
Those at the meeting also failed to decide on the thorny issue of Honda’s position under the 2015 engine ‘unfreeze’, with McLaren supremo Ron Dennis pushing for his new works partner to have more ‘tokens’ to play with.

MATESCHITZ BELIEVES MERCEDES OUT OF REACH AGAIN

Dietrich-Mateschitz-F1-Testing-Day-3-ot4

Red Bull baron and F1 team owner Dietrich Mateschitz does not think his outfit can mount a serious world championship challenge in 2015.
The Austrian billionaire made an ultra-rare paddock visit this week at the opening test of the pre-season.
After Jerez, Mateschitz said: “Mercedes is again out of reach. I think if we are able to reduce the gap, that would be good.”
Mateschitz also witnessed works partner Renault stumble at Jerez with a reliability problem for its uprated turbo V6, but noted: “If they manage to reduce the horse power deficit by 40 or 50, we will be in an area where, with a good car, we can put pressure on Mercedes.”

TEAM HAAS PLANS YELLOW LIVERY FOR NEW TEAM

Gene-Haas.jpg

Formula 1’s new team for 2016, the American entrant Team Haas, could race with a distinctive yellow livery.
It has emerged in recent days that former McLaren and Red Bull engineer Rob Taylor will head the design of the first Haas car, in collaboration with Ferrari and Dallara.
“We do not want to make a car to test this year,” team boss Gunther Steiner is quoted Autosprint.
“If you make a car for that purpose, by next year it is already outdated.”
Autosprint also claims that team owner Gene Haas, already with a leading outfit in the top US stock car series Nascar, is keen on reviving the colour yellow in F1.
Jordan’s bright yellow cars are fondly recalled, while Renault fielded a yellow and black design in 2010.
“We would love to have a car in line with the company’s image,” said Haas, whose corporate logo is actually red and silver.
“But it needs to be good, too, because all these cars in silver or grey appear almost identical to each other.
“I would like a colour that makes us distinguishable,” said the Californian. “I do like yellow.”

Pirelli: Pace will pick up before Melbourne

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Toro

Hailing the "phenomenal rate" at which the F1 teams have developed their turbocharged V6 engines, Pirelli had a trouble-free first test at Jerez.
Last Sunday the Formula 1 teams got down to business putting their new 2015 cars - powered by upgraded V6 engines - through their paces.
Using 155 sets of tyres over the four days to cover a total of 2294 laps, the fastest time for the test went to Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.
The Finn posted a 1:20.841, which was more than two seconds quicker than the best time set at Jerez during the 2014 pre-season.
Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery said: "The four days at Jerez were quite a straightforward test, with all the teams present getting in a lot more running than they did at this time last year: which just goes to show the phenomenal rate at which this hybrid technology has developed.
"We experienced varied weather conditions on a very abrasive track at Jerez and encountered no issues, with generally positive comments from the drivers.
"From a tyre perspective, the two tests in Barcelona later this month will be more representative, as long as the weather remains favourable.
"The provision of our ‘winter hard’ prototype compound – a specially created testing compound, with a fast warm-up – was clearly appreciated, as the drivers used it extensively.
"It’s clear that the new cars have already evolved a lot since 2014, and we anticipate further improvements before we reach Melbourne in March."

Honda confident of Barca improvement

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Jens

Yasuhiso Arai believes Honda will fix their reliability issues before the next test at Barcelona with new parts that are a "step up."
Honda, in only their second outing powering a McLaren F1 car, failed to shine in this past week's Jerez test.
Amassing just 12 laps on the opening two days, McLaren-Honda showed better form on the final two days to bring their tally up to 79 laps.
The team was also slowest of all with Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso the slowest of the 16 drivers in action.
Honda, though, are confident of better come the next test, which gets underway at the Circuit de Catalunya on 19 February.
Honda's motorsport chief Yasuhiso Arai told Autosport: "There are many difficulties that we had this week, but we will fix it before the next Barcelona test and get back to work again.
"The new engine will be a step up, because we are taking things step-by-step. Some parts will be final [race] parts, but not all.
"There are several testing parts still, and we will take final confirmation on those just before Melbourne."